A Fractured Empire XII
104 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amber's vision was hazy as she opened her eyes. There was this terrible ringing noise invading her ears, and this aching pain in her head. Dust and smoke entered her nose causing her to cough relentlessly.

Trying to lean up, she could not. Her body was working against her instead of with her. As she moved her head down slowly, she noticed the reason why. Her legs were crushed by the debris caused by that boulder. She could not even feel them.

When she tried to move her right hand, she felt a sharp pain rush up her arm causing her to grit her teeth. A broken pipe pierced it.

Amber's head dropped down to the ground as she lost the will to hold it up. What was the point?

There was too much dust and rumble, she could not see if Jack or Terressa were alive. If they were, they couldn't have been in better shape than she was.

Amber racked her brain trying to think of a solution. How was she to escape? Nothing came to mind, at least not a reasonable solution.

"I should just give up."

She managed to say to herself.

It was not like she could do anything, and with the way, things were in the capital she doubted that there would be anyone coming to save her. There were still many things she wanted to achieve, but it seemed she would never see them come true.

"Fuck."

Amber said as tears rolled down her face.

Death came for everyone, and she was not afraid of it. She was a knight and was fully prepared to die in battle, or when she was old with a family of her own. What she did not want was to die like this.

Alone.

No one was around to see or hear her, no one to listen to her last words. Amber felt that she was fated to die alone.

Would anyone even know? Would her lord care? Would Terressa grieve for her?

She relaxed herself, as she gazed up at the night sky. Her vision was darkening, it was almost time.

Her father's face appeared in her mind.

'If only I had one more moment with you.'

'What would you say? What would you do?'

The image of her father asking her those questions emerged. It was odd, usually, nothing happened when she thought of another person. This was a first, but Amber was glad. Even if it was a figment of her imagination.

'I... I just want to hug you one last time'

'Then do it. I'm right here.'

Her father told her as he held out his arms.

Amber pictured herself ten years ago, back when she was still a young girl. Running to her father with a bright smile on his face. Looking at that confident expression and aura he was giving off. It was warm, and the way he hugged her tight. It was as if nothing else in the world mattered, as if no one else existed. Just the two of them, in that moment.

A soft faint smile appeared on her face as Amber closed her eyes. This was fine, at least she had her dad here before the end. Even if he was not real.

------------

Teressa felt a cold breeze sweep past her face. Observing the surroundings, she did not see or sense anything. Turning her gaze towards the female priest, Amelia and Eliza she watched the two of them finish tending to Jack.

"How is he?"

Teressa asked.

"He'll survive. The rest depends on him, but i'd advise against fighting."

Eliza responded as she dust herself off.

Teressa nodded.

"Then it would be best to take him to the temple. Amber is still out there, she may be on the other side of the rubble. If that is the case, she will find us again. That, or meet us at Dauntless."

"I thought you were heading towards the watch commander? What is at Dauntless?"

Eliza asked.

"That was our goal, to reach her and organize a force. That way those that could fight would not travel towards places that have already been cleared, and it would be easier to set up a communication network. After that, we were going to head towards Dauntless to help defend the western gate."

Teressa explained.

She turned her gaze towards the fallen buildings that blocked their path forward. Going around this would take too long, and she had no clue what they would face if they delivered from the path. Not to mention she would have to handle it all alone.

With this group of priests and Jack unconscious, she had no way to protect them.

Even if they managed to heal her after every battle, that meant nothing for her stamina. She'd tire herself out, even if her wounds were fully healed. All it took was one mistake and she'd die fighting, leaving them to fend for themselves. It was something she could not do.

"Why can't we go down the sewers? There is a way to reach the other side if we were to do that."

Eliza told Teressa.

It was an idea she did not think of, and they would avoid a lot of enemies. This plan could work, but who would navigate them once they were down there? Not to mention Teressa did not know where the entrance to the sewers was.

As she was thinking this over, a black mist hovered in the air in front of her.

She was startled but seeing as it was not an attack she relaxed. The mist swirled around as a note appeared.

Teressa grabbed it and looked over the contents.

Once it was read, the note vanished.

"What in Nessa's name was that?"

Amelia asked.

"That was the lord. There has been a change of plan. We are to head towards the temple as soon as possible."

"What about your friend and Dauntless?"

Amelia asked.

"We are still heading towards the gate, but he wants us to go as one group. The enemy is stronger than he envisioned. That's what he stated. Can you take Jack back with you? I have to head to the estate and get the others."

"We can, but we cannot guarantee his safety."

Eliza spoke up before Amelia had the chance to say anything.

Teressa paused before she spoke. Nodding her head, she could understand the female priests thinking. Still, it would be best for Jack to go with them instead of her. The distance between this place and the temple was not far, and it has already been cleared. They should not encounter anyone dangerous.

"Good, then this is where we split. I'm sure Amber has gotten the message and will move according to what was stated."

4