I am Vulcan III
1.5k 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As he stood gazing past the gate into the academy he did not notice the time go by. Excitement and curiosity took him away into his own imagination.

In fact, he was highly thrilled that something he was a part of, helping develop was now right in front of his eyes. There might not be any players but it still houses plenty of NPCs.

Living, breathing, right in front of him.

Jacob's eyes glistened with sparkling light. To him, this entire world was a treasure trove filled with a rich history that he couldn't even begin to fathom. He and his coworkers may have laid the groundwork for this place, but whatever world he was in now fleshed it out.

Pausing for a second, Jacob glanced at the academy once more before he grinned.

One day he would be back, but until that day arrived the only option he had was to admire the place from a distance.

Stepping off he managed to take three steps before he bumped into something hard. His fault for not paying attention to where he was going, but then again the roads were so wide he did not believe he would bump into someone.

Auburn colored shaggy hair that reached to the bottom of his ears along with piercing blue eyes that seemed to stare into his soul. From the man's dented silver armor and longsword in its sheath, Jacob figured he was a soldier returning from the battlefield. That or a man who made his living hunting down those that terrorized others.

"Sorry. I should have paid more attention."

With his head slightly bowed Jacob said to him in an apologetic tone. He was new here and there was no need for him to start any trouble.

The man was two, three heads taller than Jacob so when he looked down at him the man seemed a whole lot bigger. His blue eyes glanced over Jacob's body.

His arms moved like water in a stream with no obstacles in the way. Grabbing hold of Jacob's arms he forced both his palms open.

Seeing that they were empty he patted Jacob down swiftly.

As violated as he felt, Jacob did not move. Did not take a genius to figure out a veteran fighter with a longsword against a barehanded skinny teen would win with his hands tied behind his back.

"Seen many of your kind before, bumping into the innocent citizens on the street but pickpocketing a few coins off of them. You're in luck as I did not catch you this time, but if I do you'll be praying to Mother Nessa that I hadn't."
Finding it hard to swallow the words he heard, Jacob stood frozen like a statue. It was not fear that took over, instead, it was an authoritative tone held in the man's voice. His voice was booming as if he was in front of a rank of soldiers giving them their morning orders.

The man spoke, and Jacob's body listened. Standing tall at attention waiting for his orders.

After he finished speaking the man's lips curled up in satisfaction.

"Who are you boy? You're not like the other street urchins wandering the alleys. I can't put my finger on it, but I can tell you're different."

"Jacob sir."

He did not understand why, but the words came out of his mouth naturally. It was like he was both in control and out of control.

He was positive it was him who walked here to this location, he was sure that it was him who stood frozen in place when this man stood before him. Yet why was it now all of a sudden that his body spoke without him doing it?
Jacob felt like he was watching himself act.

It was weird feeling the slight tingles in his stomach.

Even if he tried to move, he couldn't. If he had to put it in a view that others could understand, he would say it was like watching a cinematic in a video game. You controlled your character's actions, how they developed themselves, and maybe even the relationships they had. However, when you reached a point in the story that decided a major plot point, your character was no longer in your control. Instead, you sat back, watched how things played out and listened to the story unfold.

"Jacob? That's a sissy name, you one of those boy?"

Jacob's body shook his head as it also clenched its fist.

"Thought so, you don't have the air of one. You need a real name, something that brings fear into your enemy's heart when they hear it. Those deep black eyes of yours remind me of a predator but seeing as how you're dressed and the meat on your bones no one would take you for one. Kinda reminds me of a vulture but that wouldn't fit. Vulcan… yeah, that sounds better. Whatcha think?"

From the man's gaze, one could tell he was excited about the name. Almost like a young child obtaining a toy they wanted for the longest of time.

"This… I don't know about that."

Disappointment flashed in the man's eyes as he looked down at Jacob.

"But, maybe for a loaf of bread, I can change my name."

The man laughed boldly.

"Kid, you change your name to Vulcan and follow me, you can have all the bread you can eat."

A smile spread across Jacob's face as he eagerly nodded his head.

A chance like this may never come again. He was confused about the identity of the mysterious man, but his body was drawn to the man.

Although he controlled this body, he realized he was not in full control. Did that mean that there were two minds in one body?

From what has occurred so far, Jacob was in control of developing the body and what seemed to be everyday management. While the other took over when they met certain people or something major happened.
Who exactly was 'Jacob' and what was his tale? Jacob himself had never fully dived deep into the lore they were building, but he knew that this character was not a prominent figure.

29