Night Wars – Part One
131 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Magic is a learnable skill. There are different types of magics. Each type is based on an object or concept that humanity as a whole has mastered. Then only that thing can become a magical skill, and be controlled by the users."

It was almost eleven at night. Shinzo was standing near a swing in the center of a dead silent park. The trees waved with calmness while the winds whooshed past them. It was like a calm before the storm.

He looked up at the moon. His warm brown eyes reflected his silhouette—Sinbad's—who was smiling proudly. "How did you know I would be here?"

Shinzo closed his eyes. "I have my sources." He opened them again. The image of Aoi on her hospital bed, lying motionless, was burning in his consciousness. He said, "Sinbad, I am here to challenge you. Fight me."

"Fight you?" Sinbad was truly amazed. His jewelry chimed a time or two. "You'll die."

"I don't think you know the difference between 'you' and 'I.'"

Sinbad gnashed his teeth. That one was like an arrow shot through his pride. "Fine by me-" He raised his arm and clenched a fist. A wooden handle materialized in his palm. He brought his hand forward, pulling out a sword from thin air. "-if you, oh so desire death!"

His sword gleamed under the moonlight. It was sharp and durable.

Shinzo was looking at its tip without blinking once. He was lost in his thoughts. "Yeah, right. Fictions have an inventory system."

"It was foolish of you to assume that the Hero of Sailors, Sinbad, would be unarmed!"

"Foolish?" Shinzo sighed with resignation signed on his face. He cracked his knuckles, one by one. First the index fingers, the thumbs, the middle fingers, the ring fingers, and in last the smallest fingers. Each crack was getting on Sinbad's nerves.

Shinzo said, "That's it... Go!"

Cheshire Cat materialized. It got shot towards Sinbad. It looked like a blur of motion. It grinned widely, taking the shiny claws out. "To scratch such flawless skin is heaven! Leave some for the ladies!"

Sinbad narrowed his vision on the cat. He swung his sword with all his might. The cat was unsummoned just in time. He was shocked.

Shinzo appeared behind him with a gun in his hand. The muzzle of it pointed directly towards Sinbad's head. Death itself was on the other side, waiting for the legendary Fiction's soul on the tray.

Sinbad gripped the handle firmly. He swung it again, smacking the gun away. Shinzo smirked. "Didn't know an experienced sailor like you would be so naive." He disintegrated into a dust-like form, vanishing away in seconds. A fake.

Sinbad's eyes widened in horror of realization. He shook his head, realizing Cheshire Cat was just an inch away from his head. "Obviously, that man wouldn't come to fight me on his own! He sent a fake." 

The cat grinned. "Got ya!"

Slash! Blood erupted. It splattered, raining down everywhere, painting the ground red.

***

Shinzo was actually sitting besides the old wrinkly man, inside his sleek black car. They were driving on the highway, zooming past several trees and dumpsters of vibrant colors.

The old man chuckled. He couldn't hold himself together. "So," he asked, "How did you manage to create a clone?"

Shinzo was looking outside the window. "It was quite easy, actually."

"Mind elaborating?" The old man was genuinely intrigued.

"'Magic' is basic. What I used was a very complex combination of magic. I used 𝘨𝘶𝘯 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤 to get that gun for that clone. It was empty, though. A clone can't create ammo. The clone itself was a combination of different types of 𝘥𝘺𝘦 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤𝘴, 𝘴𝘰𝘪𝘭 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤, and 𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘢𝘨𝘪𝘤. It was able to speak because sound is basically the vibration of particles, and particles of wind generated voice. Don't care much, you'll never be able to pull that off."

The old man was quite disheartened because he knew, it was true, he couldn't ever do this even if he tried. Shinzo was called Man Of Thousand Skills, after all. A true prodigy. Though, he still smiled in amusement. "Tell me," he said. "Why do you think your trick would work?"

Shinzo's expression remained steadfast. Though a certain melancholy sang itself in his eyes now. "It didn't," he said.

***

Slash! Blood erupted. It splattered, raining down everywhere, painting the ground red.

Sinbad stood tall and victorious, breathlessly. He had swung his blade with might and had sliced Cheshire Cat in two. He won. He was still quite surprised that he managed to land that strike. It was evident in his wide gaze.

He put the sword back in thin air. He gnashed his teeth again. He composed himself, pulling all limbs together. He smiled calmly. "You want to play tricks, Kawashima?" He bursted out in laughter. He laughed merrily, shaking the sky above his head. "Keep dreaming if you think you'll be able to get me with that, boy!"

Cheshire Cat's body faded into oblivion. All blood disappeared.

"CHESHIRE CAT KILLED BY SINBAD OF BAGHDAD"

-This translucent text popped up where the corpse of the cat once lay. Sinbad sighed, shaking his head. It was disdainful in nature. "Died and dropped nothing? Pathetic." He said, "If I were to be killed, I would have dropped so much loot that the ground would have been filled to the brim!"

***

Thor was sitting beneath a flickering streetlight, deeply intrigued by what he was witnessing. An old blacksmith holding a rusty hammer. Thor was in total awe of this sight.

Fumiko was on the verge of tears. She was thinking of screaming on him, but the thought of not even coming to his chest scared her to the soul. "Maybe... Maybe I should use my Force Card!"

"No," she said to herself. "It's only of one-time use. I should save it for some other opportunity."

Thor got up, dusting off his knees. Him getting up was like if a whale emerged from beneath a boat. His eyes and smile were brighter than the light above his head. "That hammer you have, mortal, is reminding of something I own!"

"Really?" The old man coughed. He looked straight at his hammer. "You really like hamme- hammers, eh?"

"Yes! I love hammers!"

"What a passionate young man you are."

"Passion is in my blood!" Thor turned around, stomping his feet away. Fumiko jumped up and down, scared. Thor shouted, "Follow me, Mouse!"

"I am not a mouse!" She ran towards him in anger. Though she had to swallow it because of that masculine physique of his, which was like as if carved out of a mountain. He raised his hand up above his head. "Yes," he roared, "You are! Mouse, The Smallest!"

"Shut up-" Fumiko blasted away in a shockwave of wind. She was horrified. A series of monstrous blue thunders stormed down upon Thor's silhouette. The ground shook, beginning to shatter and crack. He glanced back at her, smiling. "Now."

A majestic hammer dropped down on his hand, pulling him down. A miniature ripple of energy waved around. The blacksmith, who was looking at all of this happening, collapsed down on the ground. He went unconscious.

Thor's metallic armor shone thrice. The leather pants, and gloves looked worn out from countless battles but trusty. He looked mighty with air crackling around him.

"Let's go, Mouse." He picked up Fumiko, placing her on his shoulder. She was momentarily frozen from shock. "Wha- whoa, what?!"

"Let's... Go!" They jumped up in the sky, causing a giant crater to form in their wake. Dust flew around in chaos, as all the storm went to calm again. Translucent text appeared: "MJOLNIR SUMMONED"

2