Chapter 69:very humane
189 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Is that so? Which decisions are you referring to" Richard asked.

"I'm talking about the war. I believe rushing into war could be a huge mistake. If we attack before hearing from the Island Federation, it could lead us to battle with all of Alpshar's forces, and I believe that's what Alpshar wants. I think tonight's events and the letter are meant to provoke you" Ethan said firmly.

"Do you think I don't know that tonight's events are a plan to provoke me!?" Richard said, raising his voice.

"Then why--?"

"Because the most important thing for a king is honor! I was insulted, and many nobles witnessed it. Do you think I would have any reputation left if I were to say there won't be a war?" Richard said, gripping the pen tightly in his hand.

"I understand, Father. Forgive my rudeness" Ethan said calmly.

He wanted to ask, 'Is honor more important than life?' but he held back. Ethan picked up a peach from the table in front of him and began to ponder. A defeat in such a situation could have severe consequences, and Ethan didn't want to take risks when they were so close to the throne. If they could reach out to the Island Federation, everything could be different, but there were no spells for teleportation or long-distance communication in this world. When Ethan finally came up with an idea, he looked at his father, but Richard was already engrossed in some papers.

"Father, there might be a faster way to communicate with the Island Federation" Ethan said.

Richard turned his head with interest toward Ethan and asked, "How?"

"I've designed ships of my own, and these ships are at least twice as fast as the ones we currently have." Ethan said.

"You designed a ship? I didn't know you had such a gift. Well done, my son. So, how do these ships go faster?" Richard asked.

"They run on coal and don't require sails. Additionally, the hull structure of the ships I designed is more aerodynamic, allowing them to move with less resistance on the water's surface. The only issue is that these ships have never embarked on long voyages before, but I don't think it will be a problem" Ethan said.

"I understand what you're saying. Then take this letter and ensure it's delivered to your ship. I hope the ship you've designed can accomplish this" Richard said.

Ethan took the letter and turned towards the door. He needed to find someone he trusted to deliver the letter.

"There's another matter I need to discuss with you," Richard said. Ethan turned and looked at Richard. There was the usual serious expression on his face, and Ethan returned to his seat, curious about what his father had to say.

"I learned today that you had dinner with a woman, and it's time to put an end to that, son," Richard said in a calm tone.

"May I ask why?" Ethan said, his eyebrows slightly raised.

"Ethan, I've already given you two beautiful princesses, and having more women around will only cause trouble for you. There will always be harlots trying to seduce a prince like you, and these women could harm your marriage. Now, I don't know whose daughter that pink-haired harlot is, but stay away from her" Richard said to his son.

Unnoticed by Ethan, he had clenched his teeth and was quite angry because of his father's words.

"Aphrodite is not a harlot, and I would appreciate it if you withdrew your words, Father. Aphrodite didn't know I was a prince when we met, and she is an honest girl. I assure you, our feelings are genuine," Ethan said.

"Is that so? Well, I didn't mean to be rude, Ethan, but as far as I know, besides the pink-haired one I mentioned, you have other women around. Tell me, how many women close to you?" Richard asked, still in a calm tone.

"Besides Eleanor and Luna, there are three more women," Ethan said.

"So, there are five women, and you think this won't be a problem?" Richard said 

"I am as sure of their love as I am of Aphrodite's." Ethan replied.

"Look, son, it's even worse if they fall in love with you. Do you think five women can share  you? Women will become sensitive over time and start getting jealous even at the slightest move. Eventually, they'll think you're not treating them equally and start to hate you. A woman's anger is different, and I'd prefer the hate of a thousand men over the hate of one woman. 

Even if we assume women won't hate you enough to love you, they'll start hating each other and causing harm." Richard said.

"I understand, Dad, but I won't abandon them, and I can handle them. Still, if it comforts you, I'll restrain myself if new women come my way" Ethan said.

"I hope you won't regret this decision, and I'll pray for you to have a wonderful family. You can go now" Richard said.

"Thank you, Dad," Ethan said, leaving the room and heading to his own. As he went to his room, he pondered Richard's words. He now had a harem, and there could be some problems in it. Women could form groups amongst themselves and become jealous of each other. While Ethan contemplated solutions to avoid this problem, a man stood in his way.

"Your Majesty, Ethan. The Empress invites you for tea," he said.

"Is that so?" Ethan descended the stairs, curious about what Anastasia had to say. He stood in front of the door, clicking it a few times before it opened, revealing Anastasia in casual attire.

"Welcome, come in," Anastasia said, leading Ethan to the balcony, where they sat at a table for two. A pot of fragrant tea sat on the table, its steam indicating its warmth. As Ethan took a sip, he noticed its deliciousness and then turned to Anastasia. She was looking at him calmly, but Ethan felt there was always something she hid behind her eyes.

"The tea is really good." Ethan said.

"Thank you, but I didn't invite you here to talk about tea. I called you here to warn you" Anastasia said.

"It seems many people want to warn me today. What do you want to warn me about?" Ethan asked, taking another sip of tea.

"As you know, we've fought Alpshar before, and during that battle, I realized how dangerous he is. I've made many covert moves during the war, but it seemed like he anticipated them all. Whenever I devised a clever plan, he managed to overcome it, and what I'm talking about here isn't poisoning Alpshar. I've conducted much broader operations to win the war, but I've failed in all of them. You have to be careful with him" Anastasia said.

"Don't worry, I won't underestimate Alpshar" Ethan said.

"That's good. Then perhaps you might stand a chance. I hope so"

6