Oddity (1)
55 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Lara the ladybird was a special bug.

Unlike all her friends, she had bright yellow wings.

Everyone loved her yellow wings.

Each morning, Bibi Butterfly said hello. And Manto Mantis always waved.

Even Sesa, the sulky spider, was happy to see her.

At school, she played with lots of friends.

But Lara wanted to be like the other ladybirds.

“I wish I had red wings like you, Mama,” she cried.

So one day, to cheer her up, Lara’s mother painted her wings bright red.

The next morning, nobody greeted Lara on her way to school.

And when she got there, none of her friends said hello.

Lara sat all alone.

No one noticed her new red wings.

Until Miss Maya spotted her and said: “You’ve painted your lovely yellow wings!”

Lara’s classmates were shocked.

“Your wings are special!”

“So unique!”

“So rare!”

“Lara,” Miss Maya said, “Your yellow wings are what make you, you. Like Sammy’s spot… and Sally’s legs.”

Back home, Lara took a long bath and scrubbed until her golden wings gleamed.

“I’ll never paint my wings again!” she thought. Except, maybe once or twice …

To try a bit of purple… or something nice.

But not for ever and just for fun.”

++

Done telling the story she said, “Close your eyes and try to sleep, it will be home time in a few hours so rest.”

Oh, I am the last of the giants – my people have gone from the earth.

The last of the great mountain giants, who ruled all the earth from my birth.

Oh I am the last of the giants, my people have gone from the earth.

The last of the great mountain giants, who ruled all the world at my birth.

The small folk have stolen my forest, they’ve stolen my rivers and hills.

They built a great wall through my valley, and fished all the fish from my rills.

In stone halls they build their great fires, in stone halls the forge their sharp spears.

Whilst I walk alone in the mountains with no true companion but tears.

They hunt me with dogs in the day light, they hunt me with torches by night.

With these man who are small they can never stand tall, while giants still walk in the light.

Oh I am the last of the giants, so learn well the words of my song.

For when I am gone all the singing shall fade and silence will last long and more.

Oh, I am the last of the giants – my people have gone from the earth.

The last of the great mountain giants, who ruled all the earth from my birth.

Oh I am the last of the giants, my people have gone from the earth.”

She sang her song for the fourth time. She got up and went back to her desk. Sitting at the desk, she started writing while continuing the song.

Lowering her tone the silence hit the class. Low snores rang through the pavilion soon.

Putting the brush down and closing the book. Closing the Pavilion door behind her. Sitting on  the veranda of the pavilion she closed her eyes.

Qin Rucheng. You and I have the same name, face and family. We are both teachers and we both died. I know how I died but not how you did. I only met three so called nobles of the Heavenly University and the contempt from them is at another level. I wonder what this worlds Qin Rucheng really got herself into – she couldn’t have possibly died like me or mamma would have said something no?

“Lady Qin?”

Opening her eyes she looked up, an elder standing before her with a jade scroll in his hands.

Standing up she bowed, “Greetings elder.”

Clearing his throat, “I’ve told you before that you need not bow. You didn’t report back to the administrator that you would return and on top of that you didn’t check in today. We heard from Lady Hong about your return and the other pavilions complained about a noise coming from your class… Do I need to continue?”

Staring at the elder she asked, “What other complaints were there elder?”

Elder, “You took your class to the private area to relieve themselves.”

Rucheng, “Are they not allowed to?”

Elder, “I did not say so.”

Rucheng, “Then how is that a complaint?”

Elder, “Lady Qin, there are rules in the Scholar Village section that need to be followed – your class was outside when they were supposed to be inside in lectures.”

Rucheng, “So harming their bodies is more important?”

Elder, “Lady Qin, what’s the meaning of your comment?”

Rucheng, “You said that they needed to be inside having their lectures instead of relieving themselves. Elder, do you know how the bodies of children work? Would you rather have them sully their clothes during lectures and disturb the rest of the class?”

Elder, “Lady Qin, don’t get me wrong here, these are all the complaints from others, I have no say in what you can or cannot do, you are a qualified educator, please calm down.”

Rucheng noticed that the elder before her didn’t mean any harm and was taken aback by her argument. Calming down she asked, “What can I help elder with?”

Patting his chest he said, “The headmaster would like to see you after class.”

Why didn’t he just say that to begin with, “Alright, thank you elder, I will head straight to the headmaster after I have seen my students off.”

Seeing the elder off she sighed, “I must control my temper, it seems like I am still hot headed like before… well, it’s not like death can change me.”

The hairs on the back of her neck stood up scaring her. Slapping the back of her neck she quickly rubbed it. The door to the pavilion creeked open, “Aunty Rucheng…” Turning around to look she saw that it was Kim Sang Chul. ‘Why would he make me react like that?’

Kneeling down she asked, “Can’t sleep?” The boy shook his head.

Rucheng, “What’s your name?”

“I’m Kim Sang Chul teacher,” he answered.

“Sang Chul-ah, is there something on your mind that is bothersome?” she asked him.

Touching his head he answered, “I feel warm, I might have the flu.”

3