Chapter 13 – Even a puppet can cut her strings
419 5 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

This system is clearly against me; the third option to evolve doesn't make much sense… well, it doesn't matter now.

That makes sense because the system is supposed to be a gift from the gods, a blessing given to lesser races to help them become stronger and survive. To help them fight against beings like me.

I'm not even human anymore; I could even be considered an enemy of humans. There are no records made by demons about the system; in fact, there are no records made by demons; demons are very uncommunicative. Additionally, this "new" system seems to be designed for celestial soldiers, whatever that means they don't seem friendly to demons like me.

I doubt the gods still support me; even my medallion turned to dust, Gor, no matter how strong he is physically, is not even close to being a god... So why is the system still within my reach? Could Gor have modified it?

It doesn't matter how the system was created or why I'm still able to use it; what matters now is that I can still use it to my advantage.This time I'm still conscious, and I can choose. Well, nothing else matters. This is wonderful; it's simply marvelous, an irreplaceable opportunity in life.

I don't want anything to do with a Nether demon. My instinct tells me it would be easier to control. Even the Nether Servant; that option is completely ruled out, no matter how appealing Supreme or how powerful it appears, it would be signing a slavery contract.

That leaves me with only this option.

>Lesser Fateless one
Warning: You have chosen Lesser Fateless one, the evolution cannot be reversed. Are you sure you want to continue?
>Yes >No

Of course yes.

Warning: Initiating the evolution process.
Warning: Creating the user core.
Warning: Applying changes to the user.
.
..
...
....

I closed my eyes with all my might, preparing myself for the pain, but unexpectedly, this time, apart from some discomfort, it practically didn't hurt.

First stage core successfully created.
Evolution completed successfully.

[ Are you angry, my love? It's a shame that if you were to kill me now, you'd just be a mindless beast. ]

You can only blame yourself for being so greedy. Greed always backfires.

[ If you had just stuck to physically torturing me like you usually do, I would have ended up being your broken puppet forever. ]

I was so pathetic, falling for false happiness and becoming a mere slave.

[ But you thought destroying all those innocent people would make me even more desperate. ]

These humans were full of experience points; but don't worry, I'll make good use of all their lives.

[ You still have a lot to learn, Gor. Did you want me to see you kill them because they reminded you of my beloved son Angelo? ]

If my son were still alive, I'm sure he would love him as if he were still his father… well, now his mother, I guess.

[ Did you think I would feel more pain if you killed them in front of me? What would it feel like to keep killing my son over and over again? ]

[ Did you think that would break me? ]

Feelings aren't simple; I'm not stupid, and I know they're not my son; I just empathized with them a bit due to their situation, but thanks to your huge mistake, I can finally be free.

I don't wish any harm to these humans, but I don't really care about their fate either.

[ Well, my "love," let's reconsider our relationship from now on, okay? ]

[ You're really just going to threaten me with something as unimaginative as killing or torturing me more? ]

[ I am well aware that I'm still no match for you, but there's a difference: now I have the ability to commit suicide at any time I want. ]

I just need to create a demonic energy vortex in my core fast enough to overwhelm you and detonate. It doesn't matter how much you can regenerate my body, if my core shatters and explodes, it's my end.

[ Why did you spend thousands of years alone and bored under those ruins, darling? ]

You know the real answer, you are so angry now, Gor, and it feels so good to make you angry.

[ If it was that easy to replace me, you would've done it long before meeting me, but you spent millennia waiting for the right person; Gor, you need me as much as I need you. ]

It was my destiny to end up in that room under those ruins to find him. I don't regret ending up like this; it was the best thing that could've happened to me. If I could go back in time, I think I'd do it again.

[ I feel incredible, better than ever. What you're doing, darling, almost doesn't hurt anymore. ]

Just stop wasting time, even though your tentacles are tearing my body apart, my mind is clearer than ever in my entire life.

[ Stop right now; that's my last warning! ]

After sending the ultimatum through our bond, I create a demonic energy vortex in my core and spin it so fast that I feel an excruciating pain as if my soul is about to shatter. I'm so used to the pain now that it doesn't deter me, my core starts to crack.

Upon feeling this, the tentacle around my neck stopped squeezing. The other hundreds of tentacles inside my body also stopped moving.

When I finally managed to breathe, I coughed and spat up blood to clear my throat. Such an unladylike act for someone like me, but it feels good to be able to breathe and speak again.

"Well, that's how it should be, wasn't it hard to be a good boy, Gor?"

How amusing. Never in all these years have I felt fear and anxiety from our bond. What a strange sensation! It feels like he are really afraid of becoming just a stupid beast again.

"I don't blame you for trying; it's simply your nature to take things by force; a powerful being doesn't have to bother respecting the weak."

The demonic energy almost overflows from my body; it's a wonderful feeling. It's a warm and peaceful energy. I don't understand why it has such a bad reputation. My whole body shakes with excitement as tears stream down my face. I'm crying with happiness.

"But I'm no longer a weak and humble creature, Gor; now I am a being that might even be as powerful as you."

"Free me now, Gor, but be careful and don't pull me out of the cocoon. I don't want those animals to see me."

My body was finally released, and now I'm sitting inside the cocoon. I don't feel any significant changes to my anatomy; only that my proportions are now a bit smaller and more functional for a woman.

This size is still huge, but it will be much more comfortable. Amazingly, my clothes didn't tear; that would have really pissed me off. Although I'm covered in blood again.

"I always knew you were a reasonable person, Gor. I'm not angry that you kidnapped me when we first met."

Even though you tortured me, I'll never let you control me again, I'd rather die than go through that again. I touch the tentacle inserted into my spine. It's uncomfortable having to live like this, but there's not much I can do about it; if I remove it, I'll die.

"You know, Gor, when we met, you were nothing more than a wild animal, guided only by your instincts. You seemed like a pre-programmed robot."

But now it's very different, you can think thanks to me.

You can reason and feel; only thanks to me.

You can understand the world around you and experience it, all of that just because of me.

But I feel sorry for you, I won't tolerate being treated like a toy or a slave anymore.

"I still love you, Gor. I know I shouldn't, but I'm still very much in love with you."

I say it with the most innocent and pure expression I can muster, even though inside I'm laughing at my own words and trying to hide my true feelings.

"It doesn't matter how it started as a lie, what matters is how I feel now. It wasn't your fault you hurt me, it's your nature."

That sounded so cheesy, I think a tear escaped, but only one.

"I just want what's best for both of us, my love. As a monster and a demon, we can still be a good couple."

It's so funny and ridiculous, I quickly cover my mouth to avoid laughing out loud. I don't want anyone outside to hear me.

Huh, now that I look at it, things are really messed up here. I fill my lungs with air and slowly exhale to calm down and not laugh so much.

"It smells so good…"

I realize how hard it is to control my demonic nature; this blood smell makes me want to go out and kill and destroy everything.

I imagine running through those beautiful gardens filled with corpses while finishing them off in the most cruel and painful way possible…

But that would be huge stupidity. I don't want to live the rest of my life in a barren wasteland, even if I want to burn the fields and forests, or in a world blindly following my destructive instincts and desires to return this world to nothingness.

After all, I also like nature and the sea, feeling the waves touching my feet and the salty breeze under the sun while losing myself and watching the horizon from the bow of a small boat. With both hands, I pat my cheeks.

"Help me control my instincts, Gor, and I'll help you control yours. We're more than just beasts."

He seems much calmer now, and the fear coming from him has greatly diminished. With one hand, I caressed the tentacles that shape his cocoon and continued smiling.

"We're both fated to end up together; you didn't have anyone else who was compatible with you, and I couldn't resist or change my fate; I was abandoned by the gods."

"This world is our gift, let's not break it too much."

"You know I'm perfect for you, unique and irreplaceable; without me, you can't live; I'm the only one who gives meaning to your life; I'm the only one worth existing; I'm the only one who can love you."

I placed my body on the cocoon and smiled, then gave him a small kiss. It seems to please him, as he feels happy. But from now on, he'll have to earn that happiness.

"I'm so full of demonic energy right now that it's hard for me to focus, and I feel like I need to do something with it or my core will explode."

Damn it, we can start controlling our inner nature tomorrow… Screw it all, I'm going to do it. I still want to destroy something to relieve the stress caused by this shitty situation.

"But I want to make it fun. What if, instead of a fireball, I created a demonic energy ball? Would it be the same?"

There's not much information on spells compatible with demonic energy, so I don't lose much by trying them out. After all, it's my job as an investigator.

I'm looking for a good practice target. I think the residence of the lord of these lands could be strong enough to estimate its destructive power.

"Does it matter if there are people inside?"

The most important thing is to perform the experiment; not every day is there a perfect opportunity like this, and I'm not as motivated and eager to destroy things as today.

The racial change produced surprising effects. I'm too uncomfortable to see my state comfortably inside the cocoon; I'll leave it for later, when I want to. Still, I don't need to see it to know I have new abilities; I have the perfect ability for me.

I activated my new racial ability, absolute concentration. While projecting demonic energy outside the cocoon in front of Gor, far enough not to hurt him too much, I'm a considerate lady.

It's harder than I imagined; it behaves a bit wilder and rebellious than fire mana, but I think I can control it. Slowly, I make it collapse into a sphere and use spatial magic to compress it a bit more. I love spatial magic and need to research it further later.

"This is amazing; it feels like the energy of nature itself. It's beautiful."

I feel like my core resonates with this sphere of condensed demonic magic. Okay, I admit it, things are getting a bit out of hand now. I correct myself; This is becoming incredibly dangerous. If I keep adding more mana, this could end up exploding and rebounding beyond what I can control with spatial magic. That would be pretty bad; we could end up seriously injured or dead.

Warning: +Exp
Warning: +level up

Did I kill some people? I have more important things to worry about now... I don't think I can throw it like a fireball; I need to modify the mana flow.

This is a problem; I can't move it with spatial magic; it maintains the initial rotation and translation of the planet for some reason, but resists my attempts to move it.

Now, how can I release the energy in a controlled manner without killing us in the process?

The only option that comes to mind is to stop containing it with spatial magic, but if I do, it will only be the beginning of a huge explosion. I came up with an idea: if it works, it should function as a cannon. That would be an incredible discovery.

I need to hurry up because it's getting hot here. I'll end up as a well-cooked demon. Without wasting another second, I finally managed to remove the spatial magic layer on one side while keeping the rest stable. I never doubted my abilities; yes, how could I doubt?

Killing those people makes me hesitate for a moment. It's better to have the testimony of a noble than some commoners… and I need the shoes! How the hell did I forget that?

Although the side I managed to keep free points directly at the residence of the Lord of these lands… Now it can't be avoided, bad luck for them and my shoes, but at this point they either die or we all die.

Suddenly, a massive demonic energy beam is released, far exceeding my expectations. I knew this compound spell was powerful, but I didn't know it was ridiculously powerful. Am I that powerful? I don't know.

Warning: +Exp
Warning: +level up

"It's incredible, everything just disappeared in front of us."

My face reflects the immense pride I feel, contradictory to the feeling of guilt that overwhelms me after killing those people. I don't know why, but it ended up laughing uncontrollably.

I can't control myself and fall to my knees while laughing uncontrollably. Damn, this is fucking hilarious.

"It's wonderful; it's sublime."

As I feel my core overflow with excitement, a shiver runs through my entire body.

"Now this noble lady has the power to shape the landscape at will, my love; now I'm a goddess in the eyes of these mortals, and for you, Gor, I'm your goddess!"

And you will do everything to please me.

13