Chapter 25 – Empire State Building
392 7 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day had arrived for the party at the Empire State Building. He waited outside his apartment, adjusting his tie.

Maria had given him a "hand" so his suit was impeccable. A tailored midnight-blue suit with a subtle sheen that caught the moonlight. The crisp white shirt underneath complemented the suit's richness, while the silk tie-in was a shade of deep burgundy that added a dash of bold elegance. The ensemble was completed with polished black oxford shoes.

"Remember, what people look to first are appearances. Look good and act good and you'll fit right in."

That was what Maria said and that was what he would do. 'Well, that's what I hope to do. Hope meaning that I don't have to do it.' Felix wasn't awkward or shy but he was definitely an introvert. The last time he went to a party was when he was eighteen; almost five years ago. '...maybe I should have asked for more advice.' 

Sighing, he awaited the arrival of Liz—sorry, Dr. Octavius. Soon, a sleek black limousine pulled up to the curb and the door opened to reveal Dr. Octavius herself.

"Felix, hey! You clean up nicely." Dr. Octavius was the only person in view, the door having opened on its own. She wore a green drop-waist dress and gestured at him to enter.

The interior of the limousine was simple but luxurious in its own right, featuring plush tan leather seats with dark green accents. A large screen was situated within the partition separating the driver's section from the passenger's section, with multiple other buttons of different colors and functions. The back windows were all tinted, though light still managed to seep through the front window and partially illuminate the interior.

Then there was everyone else.

"What's up with the shades?" Kavita Rao asked, a brow raised. Her dark red dress was shoulderless on one side and gave her a party-esque vibe to her. Even so, her eyes remained as vigilant as ever.

Felix adjusted the dark shades with a smile. "It's style."

"It's lame."

"Ignore her," Bobbi said. Her blue eyes were incredibly striking now that the ordinary stuff was off. Out of all the ladies in attendance, she was easily the most provocative. A slutty black dress that hugged her figure and make-up that lengthened her lashes just the right amount and highlighted her ocean blue eyes. "It's always good to have fun at parties like these," she explained.

"Whatever. That's because you're naturally two-faced," Kavita retorted.

Jane Foster was here too and she pursed her lips, wanting to sigh. Felix was the same, though no one could tell as his eyes were hidden by the dark shades. Shades that everyone failed to notice were not quite normal. This was a Felix Faeth original. Something he had been working on for the past week for the upcoming party.

'Advanced glasses with an interface connected to Herbie when I'm in costume. It's taking the same principle of Herbie in Daxter Lab and making it portable.'

His initial idea was to hook it up to his brain and order Herbie telepathically but that quickly became a pipe dream. He also tried eye contacts yet the results were unfortunately the same. The issue was time; Felix was able to come up with ingenious ideas but he needed time to get all the tiny details.

Regardless, what was done was done—and right now, Felix was able to capture all four faces into his personal database. 'Height and weight in real time…even where they got their clothes. I'm getting everything. Wow.'

Having the most advanced supercomputer in the world sure came in handy. For example, he was able to learn a lot about Jane Foster who was a work acquaintance at best. The interface locked onto Jane's face, identifying her in a matter of seconds and bringing up a list of information.

NAME: Jane Foster

OCCUPATION: Level 5 doctor of Oscorp

GENDER: Female

AGE: 34

MARITAL STATUS: Divorced

HEIGHT: 5'7 / 1.7 m

WEIGHT: 135 lbs / 61.23 kg

IRISES: Blue

HAIR COLOUR: Brown

EDUCATION: MD (Culver University), RN (Registered Nurse)

PARENTS: Bill Foster (father, deceased), Elaine Foster (mother, deceased)

SPOUSES: Keith Kincaid (ex-husband, deceased)

CHILDREN: Jimmy Kincaid (son, deceased)

'Well…that's depressing.' There was some information on her dress and where it came from. His focus shifted, however, when Kavita started talking.

"By the way, Liz, I'm surprised that you invited a newbie here."

"And I'm surprised you two are here," Liz said, gesturing to not just Kavita but Bobbi too. "It was only supposed to be me and the good doctor. Oh, and Felix since I invited him."

"We're coming in Alistaire's place," Kavita replied. "He wants me and Bobbi to say some stuff, so that's what we're doing."

NAME: Barbara "Bobbi" Morse

OCCUPATION: Level 7 scientist of Oscorp

GENDER: Female

AGE: 32

MARITAL STATUS: Divorced

HEIGHT: 5'9 / 1.75 m

WEIGHT: 135 lbs / 61.23 kg

IRISES: Blue

HAIR COLOUR: Blonde

EDUCATION: Ph.D. in Biology (Georgia Institute of Technology)

PARENTS: Unidentified father, Susan Morse (mother)

SIBLINGS: Benny Morse

SPOUSES: Clint Barton (ex-husband)

CHILDREN: Unborn child (deceased)

'Right, the divorce. So the guy's name is Clint Barton?'

Not much conversation occurred after that, though Felix did have to ask, "Who rented this?"

"Me," Liz said. "Oh, but, uh, could you cashapp me a hundred? I rented it for like…four hours."

Everybody stared at her like the idiot she was. Liz simply laughed nervously and put a hand on her neck. No matter how much she dressed up, she was the same Dr. Octavius.

In fifteen minutes, they arrived at their destination: The enormous Empire State Building, located in downtown Manhattan, stood over a hundred stories high and prominently consisted of blonde blue brick with white stone accents. Liz clapped her hands together and announced, "So warning in advance: we're gonna be photographed. They're not here for us, obviously, but the big guys: the Tony Starks and the Kings. Think of it as the Met Gala but big names in the field."

"Can we just go?" Kavita said, irritated.

"Bright lights! Try not to blink too much!"

With that piece of advice, the door opened—and two short camera flashes went off. It was brief and after Liz fully revealed herself it seemed like the paparazzi didn't care too much. After Liz, it was Bobbi, Kavita, and Jane, with Felix coming in last. His shades on, he was totally unaffected by the brief flashes of white. Felix really tried to be wowed as he got out of the limo and glanced up at the iconic triangular tip and its illuminated red beacon. At this angle, it was like it was going to fall. Herbie snapped every frame of his vision.

> REPORTERS SCANNED AND STORED

> PHOTOS TAKEN FOR FUN

Herbie communicated with him on the interface by text messaging him. All twenty-two photographers and journalists were logged into the Fantastic Computer and researched in three seconds. Information of all kinds popped up. If Felix didn't possess perfect equilibrium, he might have tripped up. He didn't. He walked with confidence and with the low-keyness of a non-celebrity.

The red carpet was nice to walk on. It was like a check off the bucket list. Something he didn't care for but thought would be cool to do anyway.

He caught up to the ladies and got checked at the entrance by a guard. Liz handed out IDs and the guard let them in.

On the first floor of the Empire State Building, they were greeted by the receptionist at the desk and told to follow a female guide. Wooden planks close to the shade of gold adorned the floors. The receptionist walked in high-heels. Click-clack! Click-clack!

"Here you are." The guide gestured at the elevator and opened it up for them. She came in after them too, setting the destination. The elevator ride was long, with Bobbi using the mirror walls to make sure her make-up was on point.

> MAIN CELEBRITIES WILL BE COMING IN THIRTY MINUTES

'Figured as much.' Before the guide went with them, she had been talking to the receptionist about the time of arrival for the big names. Everything had to be perfect. Conflicts were not allowed.

They were headed for floor 102. Felix sort-of knew what to expect. However, knowing and actually experiencing were two different things. Ding! The elevator door opened and the top floor awaited them like a glimmering jewel—a panoramic view that took their breath away. The Empire State Building's observation deck sprawled before them, a masterpiece of modern architecture with floor-to-ceiling windows offering an unobstructed vista of the city that never slept.

"Wow, this view is absolutely breathtaking," Jane Foster exclaimed, her eyes widening as she stepped onto the observation deck. Tables were set-up: twenty for people to sit at and several for food which lay at the very back where the walls were glass and the city could be seen.

'I've been high up before but this is…' Felix walked forward. The non-celebrities already here were doing what he would do; standing at the very back to peer at the city below them.

Dr. Octavius smiled, a sense of pride evident in her expression, "Welcome to the top of the world, ladies and gentleman."

> THE FIRST CELEBRITY HAS ARRIVED. SUSAN STORM.

'Oh?' Herbie brought up security footage of a blonde coming out of a car. Her hair was done in an elegant bun and her ears were fitted with diamond earrings worth well over his salary. Herbie scanned the white purse in her hand, a small handjob worth ten thousand dollars. 'Jesus.'

Walking down the red carpet, Susan Storm smiled pleasantly, waving at every photographer in sight. She even talked to them and gave two brief interviews.

When she took the elevator and came up, heads turned. Bobbi was another sexy blonde but honestly…Susan was sexier. Whether it was a matter of money or natural looks didn't matter. The blonde that was stealing the stage at the end of the day was Susan Storm, wearing a tight red high-low dress, showcasing her wonderful legs shamelessly.

Many of the non-celebrities came to greet her.

However, it wouldn't take long for Susan Storm to be usurped.

"Hello~!"

A minute later, the next notable person to arrive was the CEO of Frost International—Emma Frost. As if she were destined for the red carpet, Emma appeared at the charity party wearing a beautiful dress made from sleek, dark blue velvet. It clung to her body, highlighting her curves while still leaving plenty of room for the imagination. She wore a fluffy white shawl, covering up her cleavage for the most part, save the center portion, leaving little doubt as to who the star of the evening was. She was sexy and she knew it but that wasn't all there was to her.

"Ms. Frost," Michael Morbius, scientist of Oscorp, went up to her with enthusiasm. "I've got an idea for a renewable jet. Very cheap, though testing has been limited—"

"Then you'll have to talk to my chief engineer," Emma Frost said to Dr. Michael Morbius, charming him with a smile. "Don't worry, he doesn't bite, and neither do I. We're open to new ideas, especially after that dreadful oil leak last week."

As if her figure wasn't enough to turn heads, Emma's long, luscious hair was a stunning accessory that added even more beauty to her overall look. Its length was carefully styled so that her hair fell smoothly around her shoulders and down her back. Every time she batted her lashes, a man was charmed. Her lips were tinted a warm red, giving them an extra glow.

But Felix didn't fall for her tricks. Not one bit. A weird tingle was spreading down the back of his neck and he zoomed in on Emma Frost with his sunglasses.

NAME: Emma Grace Frost

OCCUPATION: Businesswoman, Chairperson of the Board, and Chief Executive of Frost International

GENDER: Female

AGE: 27

MARITAL STATUS: Single

HEIGHT: 5′10″ / 1.78 m

WEIGHT: 144 lbs / 65.32 kg

IRISES: Blue

HAIR COLOUR: Blonde

EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in education (Empire State University), Business Administration (Empire State University)

PARENTS: Winston Frost (father, deceased), Hazel Frost (mother)

SIBLINGS: Adrienne Frost (sister, deceased), Christian Frost (brother), Cordelia Frost (sister, deceased)

NET WORTH: $11.1 Billion

'At the age of twenty-seven? Jesus.' There was a summary of her history too. Her father, Winston Frost, was the second richest man in Massachusetts and founded the company. However, it was Emma who turned it into a multi-billion dollar mega corporation. Before, it was a state-company that struggled to find its place in the wider world. Emma was deemed worthy of her father's company over everyone else in he family and changed everything.

An article suddenly popped up and Felix sipped on his wine again.

'This journalist claims that Emma killed her sister to ensure she inherited the company.'

> THE JOURNALIST WAS KILLED A MONTH LATER IN A MUGGING

Felix eyed the deceptively attractive woman. A pleasant smile on her face, even Felix might have been convinced if it wasn't for the tingles going down his back.

Pepper Potts and Stephen Strange arrived after Emma but they didn't come close to creating the splash Emma did. Everyone, even Kavita, went to Emma. Felix stood by with a glass of wine in hand, doubly making sure not to waver away from the food.

'With great powers comes great metabolism.'

Plus, the mission. That too.

The elevator doors opened again. Felix blinked behind his glass. 'Okay, maybe Emma is going to have some competition.'

Ororo Munroe looked stunning in her gown, the silk-like dress clinging to her form like a second skin. Her dark skin made the fabric look even more vibrant, with small pieces of gold sewn into the neckline to illuminate her neck. The dress itself was a deep emerald color and had a tight low neckline, but not too much to distract from the way her hips and curves were highlighted in the gown.

Ororo's glamorous white hair was the most striking thing about her beauty. Her curls were perfect in every single aspect, falling down the center of her back in tight coils. Even in the dim lighting, the strands were vibrant, catching the light and making it look like her hair was an angel's wings.

Ororo sauntered up at Emma and, like a good friend, smiled at her. "To think I would meet the White Queen of America again so soon."

"One week is not soon enough," Emma replied, laughing. "A toast for the arrival of my close friend!"

Ororo rolled her eyes, slightly more dignified than her blonde friend. However, everyone did as Emma said and toasted.

Clink!

Glasses touched lightly. Felix, standing alone, didn't get to touch wine glasses with anyone. He was a little sad…

"Need someone to toast with?"

"Huh?"

No. Way. Herbie immediately analyzed the figure in front of him but there was no need. He knew who this was. He didn't think he'd see her here either.

"Czarina?"

Red lips worked up into a beautiful smile. "Good to see you, Felix."

She was stunning as she approached him with the wine glass, a beige leopard print dress clinging to every inch of her lean yet toned body. A delicate diamond choker complemented the classic beauty of her soft features, while her vibrant red hair fell behind her in light curls. She was an unforgettable sight, one that took his breath away.

Clink. On instinct, Felix touched his wine glass to hers. For him, in the ten seconds he looked her up and down, less than a millisecond passed. She didn't notice his turmoil or how stunned he was. For Czarina, Felix Faeth was a smiling man unfazed by her beauty.

"Right back at you." He gave her a nod, then chuckled. "Everybody seems to be coming here even though I was told it was supposed to be hard to get in."

Czarina went beside him, joining him as they watched the richer folk talk amongst themselves. "Actually, it's the opposite. To come here despite being employed for less than a year is unheard of."

"And how long have you been here?"

"Two and a half years."

He glanced at her, with Herbie analyzing her history.

NAME: Czarina Belova

OCCUPATION: Front desk receptionist at Oscorp Tower

GENDER: Female

AGE: 27

MARITAL STATUS: Single

HEIGHT: 5′7 / 1.7 m

WEIGHT: 131 lbs / 59.42 kg

IRISES: Blue

HAIR COLOUR: Red

EDUCATION: College degree (no records found)

PARENTS: Unidentified father, Unidentified mother

'Huh? that's—'

Just as his thoughts began to form, the elevator doors opened once more, and with a flourish, Anthony Stark stepped onto the top floor. Dressed impeccably in a tailored white suit, he exuded charisma and confidence, the embodiment of New York's favorite billionaire. He was quite loud and greeted Emma and Ororo without delay.

"Two pretty ladies and a couple drinks. I'm lucky," Anthony Stark said, grinning. He was maybe a bit too close and Felix swore he saw annoyance cross Emma Frost's eyes.

"Anthony Stark," Ororo said, remaining calm and regal. "Fashionably last minute, as always."

"Hm?" Tony looked around the room dramatically. "Phew! Look at that view! But wait…I don't see King T'Challa either. Gonna criticize me and not him?"

"Knowing the King of Wakanda, he has his reasons. You do not. You live here," Ororo stated matter-of-factly.

Anthony sent her a wry smile. "As wise as always, Princess."

Anthony's misgivings would be shut down two seconds later. The elevator doors parted once again, and with a quiet dignity contrasting Stark's flamboyance, King T'Challa of Wakanda made his entrance. Draped in a zip-up black robe that exuded regality, T'Challa moved with a graceful presence that commanded attention. Stepping onto the top floor, the room seemed to hush in reverence.

Even Felix felt it. 'I guess kings are just built differently.' Though, perhaps due to his powers, he didn't feel intimidated.

Anthony Stark, still grinning, turned towards T'Challa, a glimmer of mischief in his eyes. Ororo nodded at his presence.

Beside him, Czarina tensed up.

Although on the other side of the room, Felix was able to hear everything. Unlike the other eavesdroppers, Felix had a little something called superpowers. His senses amped, he was able to focus and listen to their conversation in detail. Combined with his shades which zoomed in on their faces and analyzed their microexpressions, nothing was hidden.

"Princess Ororo," T'Challa acknowledged. "Is your father in good health?"

"No, I'm afraid. The sickness has begun to affect his mind." Ororo sipped on her wine. Between the four wealthy men and women, the message was clear:

"I have all the power that my father is supposed to have."

Emma Frost, Ororo Munroe, Anthony Stark, and King T'Challa. The four were giants in each of their sectors. Unbelievably influential and rich, to the point that it surpassed logic. Even Susan Storm was unable to intrude on them, the blonde having retreated to the left side of the room with Stephen Strange.

Felix's gaze shifted, however, as a certain someone whispered to the king and left to join the lesser groups. A young woman who had arrived with the king like it was nothing—his sister. Felix's target.

Princess Shuri.

14