Chapter 63
174 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few moments ago ……

Gwen’s POV

As I swung through the streets of New York and looked back at Peter who was chasing me using various tricks, I felt quite some amount of guilt. I should not have asked Peter for such a meaningless competition.

Perhaps it was because of my insecurity towards him that I had challenged him. Although I had changed in many ways since I had became Spider-Woman, I used to feel rather insecure towards Peter before I had gained these powers even though he was my best friend.

“Why can't you be more like Peter?” These words, my father had told me far more times than I had ever wanted to listen.

Even though Peter used to be a shy, nerdy guy with a weak body, he was everything my father wanted his child to be. And I used to disappoint him those days far too many times which I regret now greatly.

It was only after I became Spider-Woman that I could feel the responsibility he had on his shoulders. Why he could not come home at night and never had time for me?

I realised that it was hypocritical of me to blame him once I felt how much one had to sacrifice to walk this path. 

This led to me maturing in ways I had never thought I ever would. But then the whole incident with Peter happened.

I would not ever be able to forgive myself for nearly killing Peter. Even now, I can remember that face of Peter filled with sorrow realising what he had done while trying to become like me. 

Although I knew about Peter's desire to help me, I had never thought that this desire was so much that he would take such a reckless decision and create a serum to gain a superpower all by himself.

It had truly felt like the weight of the world had been removed from my shoulders when I had learnt that Peter was alive. However, when I saw Peter again, I could clearly see how much he had changed.

Like the old Peter had died and in front of me was a new Peter. And this feeling was further enhanced when I saw his new appearance.

And if even that was not enough, he had much stronger powers than mine and he also knew magic. The growing dissimilarity with Peter and his powers being greater than mine once again that seed of insecurity inside me, causing me to challenge him to this stupid competition. I will have to apologise to him once this whole competition is over.

‘Huh!’ I was brought out of my thoughts as I saw a red streak of lightning pass by me. Looks like Peter decided to use that flash or whatever it was called magic he had told me about to surpass me so that he could end this competition.

I was about to go to where he was and apologise when I heard something.

“What was that red light—Ah!” A man’s rough voice was heard which soon transformed into a scream.

“Help!” A woman’s loud voice asking from help was heard from a secluded corner which was not easily seen from the sky.

All my other thoughts disappeared as soon as I heard the scream. Thus, I immediately rushed over to where the scream was coming from.

“You bitch! How dare you hit me? You will pay for that!” I could see two men rough handling a woman who was dressed in office clothes. One of them had put his hand on the woman’s mouth to prevent her from screaming. 

It was obvious that the two men were trying to rape the woman. Once the woman had seen the red light from Peter's flash magic, she had seen a chance and bit the man’s hand causing him to remove his hand from her mouth. Seeing the opportunity,the woman had then screamed for help.

I was about to engage the men when one of them unfortunately saw me clinging on the wall.

“Shit! It is that bitch Spider Woman.” He warned the other man of my presence causing him to put a knife on the woman's neck.

“Hey, back off bitch! Otherwise, say goodbye to this beautiful lady.” The man held the woman hostage in a bid to escape from me knowing that he was no match for me. The other man also put out a knife and guarded the first man to increase their chances of success against me.

I always disliked this kind of situations. Although I could still deal with them using my web shooters to pulling the man who held the woman at knifepoint towards me, there was a risk that the woman could suffer a fatal injury. 

“N-Now, let us leave. If you don't do so, I will kill her.” The man who held the woman at knifepoint said to me while stammering and slowly started to me away from me along with his ally.

Damn it! There was no time. I would have to risk it!

“Ahhhhh!!!”

I was just about to use my web shooters when both of the men suddenly screamed and then fell unconscious.

“Now, now. That is no way to treat a lady.” A robotic voice which could easily be recognised as a modulated one sounded and soon after Peter appeared in his unique suit.

Thank God that Peter had arrived. Otherwise things could have turned dangerous.

**********************

Peter's POV

“You should have called for me before engaging them, Spider Woman.” I said to Gwen, calling her with her alias.

It was only because of the remnants of the webs I had found that I could trace where she was. As soon as I heard the men threatening Gwen, I immediately activated an invisibility spell and when I found the opportunity, I struck them down.

“Sorry, when I heard her scream, I rushed immediately without thinking about anything else.” Gwen said, apologising for rushing without asking for my help. In a way, this was just like Gwen as she was often bullheaded in what she did.

“Thank you, Spider Woman for saving me. And thank you too, ur… you are Red lightning right?” The woman called me surprisingly by a name I had never heard.

“Is this what they call me now?” I asked Gwen.

“Yeah! Although there are several other names such as Thunder Cloak and Thunder Fist, this is the most famous one. You didn't see it on the social media?” Gwen was surprised that I didn't know about these various names of mine.

“You know how much I was busy recently. Besides, I am not that much active on social media.” I didn't like social media as the community there was sometimes too toxic.

“I will take my leave now. Thank you once again for saving me from the hands of these vile men!” The woman started leaving after thanking us.

“Be safe. Hope we don't see you later as that would mean that you are once again in trouble.” I said, biding her farewell.

“Alright, let's start our patrol again. We would get late at this rate.” I said, reminding Gwen that we had to continue the patrol.

“Pe– I mean Red Lightning!” Gwen suddenly spoke, calling me out with the name social media had given me as she could not use my true name in public.

“Yeah! What is it?” I asked.

“Sorry, I should not have asked you for such a meaningless competition. It was childish of me.” To my surprise, Gwen apologized for her previous behaviour. Looks like she was growing mature after taking up the mantle of Spider-Woman. 

“Alright, I accept your apology. Still, it was not something you had to apologise for.” 

And with this matter resolved, we went on our way, ready to fight the criminals we would find during the patrol tonight. 

And so the patrol continues! We gain some more insight into Gwen’s emotions regarding Peter. And you all don't need to worry as the name Red Lightning is only temporary. 

If you want to read 9 chapters ahead or just support me, visit my p.a.t.r.e.o.n/DragonsEye 

12