Chapter 24- New Members
35 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Second to last chapter for this side story! Thanks for for sticking with me list long.

Chapter 24- New Members

Citadel- Third-floor balcony, 26- 3- 2008 (Noon)

Erik Lensheer (Magneto)

"Tread carefully Erik, Raven is sticking with this," Psylocke warned him telepathically.

“What did you say?” He asked the shape-shifter.

"I brought with me, three new members of the Brotherhood," Mystique repeated her claim.

A part of Erik wanted to lash out and slap the woman in front of him. Mostly because she disobeyed him, however, the soldier and veteran in him also knew that she was right. The Brotherhood did need more members. Especially after the loss of Avalanche, and the arrest of Unus.

‘But we don’t need them more than we need this base and have good standing with Nath’aniel.’ He reminded himself.

“What are the requirements to join the Brotherhood?” The mage asked from behind him.

It was Psylocke who answered him. "I don't think we ever wrote anything down officially, but it has been generally assumed the only requirement to join, was to be a mutant and to be trustworthy." She was their recruiter after all.

"So a level of trust and to have the Mosul-gene and that it needs to be active. Fair enough, but as you are now under the care of the Citadel, your recruitment would need to also follow Magi law." Nath'aniel pointed out.

Erik turned around and slowly walked to the mage’s table.

As he did Mystique asked. “And what recruitments would that be?”

“By its very nature, your organization is a military one. As such, by Magi law, all members would need to meet a minimum age requirement, namely be seen as an adult by the law.” The mage explained.

Once he stood opposite the seated mage, Erik leaned in and asked in a whisper. "Weren't you the one that warned me that we didn't have enough resources to feed everyone? And this is after you took in over seventy of those beast-men exiles.”

Nath'aniel leaned in too and whispered back. "I did, and I am, but I am also hopeful given the agreements we have with said beast-men, which we can discuss after this. Additionally, with the portal room working again, we could also go out and trade with some old allies of my father's. Although I would like to not need to do that, as it will increase the amount of exposure of my survival to the wider galactic community."

Erik nodded, he hadn’t gone through the portal that Nath and the others used to attack the Sun People, but he had gone out to help with the cleanup after the battle. So he understood the options such a device brought them.

“A minimum age requirement is reasonable, what is it?” The shape-shifter asked from the middle of the room.

Erik pulled back from the table, before he turned to face the mother, he steeled himself. Now that the mage had OK'd them to expand their team rooster, it was time for him to play the role of the bad guy and devil's advocate. Not because he wanted to, but because Mystique disobeyed him, and he couldn't have that happening again.

“Wait.” Erik said, “We should have the people in question here before we continue.”

“Agreed. Citadel?” Nath’aniel said.

“Online.”

“Where are the other two kids that came with her?” The mage asked the ceiling.

“The boy is in the Combat Training Room in the sub-basement, and the girl is in the Guest Baths.”

Erik frowned at that, so he asked. “Alone?”

“They are not, Quicksilver is racing the boy, and Basilisk is in the bath alongside the girl.”

“Citadel, would you pass along my desire that they join us? Sooner, rather than later.” Nath’aniel requested, and then started to finish the meal that he left half eaten.

“They have been informed.”

Erik then crossed his arms, as they waited. He noticed that many of the people who had came only to eat, were also waiting. Even though they had finished their meals already. Rahne and Kevin talked about the tiger cub he had adopted, and Jamie and John talked about book tropes.

It didn't shock him that his son arrived first. The white-haired boy threw his arms into the air as he shouted. "First."

A few seconds later, the blue-furred boy ran in. His face covered in a wide smile as he said. “Only fair, you couldn’t keep up with me in the basement.” The boy was dressed in a red and black jumpsuit, which reminded Erik of the first class of X-men's thrown-together costumes. Although As the boy looked around the room, his smile quickly faded. Especially when he saw his mother motioned for him to come over to her.

His own son suddenly moved and was standing next to him. Quicksilver leaned over and asked him softly. "What's going on?"

"Nath'aniel is putting into effect, a minimum age for members of the Brotherhood," Erik whispered back to the young man.

Quicksilver frowned and asked. “Do you know what it is?” when he saw him shake his head, the boy quickly moved over to an empty table. He spared a glance at the other boy, before digging into his own waiting breakfast.

Then they continued to wait, even Exodus floated into the room for his own meal, before the two girls made it to them. A full half-hour passed before the two women made an appearance. Both wore a blue paste all over their faces.

Bass was currently in her new 'social' state, with the rock plates that would noramaly be on her face and shoulders being absent. She only had a pair of Citadel-issued pants  and the serpent head amulet on. She did however have a towel wrapped around her chest. The towel only managed to cover about half of the woman's impressive breasts.

The other girl also wore Citadel-issued clothes, in her case one of the robes. Her long hair was still damp from the baths and bound up in a simple ponytail. She immediately moved to join her family.

Meanwhile, the large mutant moved to join a table near the mage's table.

“What are you wearing on your face?” Erik asked her as she got near him.

The four-armed woman shrugged, before admitting. “Night mask.” Basilisk continues towards her chosen table without pausing at his question.

Mystique waited for the large mutant to sit before she cleared her throat and said. "Allow me to introduce the Brotherhood's three newest members…"

“Applicants.” Erik corrected.

The mutant leader had to give her credit, she didn’t flinch or seem deterred from his correction, and she just continued with her introductions. “Rogue, Nightcrawler, and Murmur." The girl that had come with Mystique nodded first, followed by the boy, and then the girl that had been with Bass last.

Erik moved to appraise the three kids. As he did he decided to take this seriously so he asked the boy, who was the closest. "You were racing my son, so I assume you have a movement-based power?"

‘Nightcrawler’ nodded, and said. “I am a teleporter. I also have a few other abilities as well. I would show you, but I can’t seem to do it in here.”

Erik looked towards the owner of the tower. "The Citadel is shielded to prevent such types of invasions. So the only places he can use his powers are in the Combat Training and Portal rooms." Nath'aniel explained from his table.

He nodded in understanding before moving on to the next person. The only ones not in their beginner costume. This ‘Murmur’, once he was in arm’s reach he asked her. “And what are your powers?”

He was surprised when she reached out and caressed his check, the only warning he had was the tingle he felt when Charles was in his head before she told him. "Dance for me."

He felt a very strong compulsion to please her and do as she asked, but instead of obeying he recited Hebrew bible verses for a couple seconds, before asking. "Do your powers require touch to work?"

She blinked in surprise under her night mask, before answering. “Oui et non (yes and no), I must touch someone to tag them. But once tagged, their le mien (mine) till I release them, or they break free like you just did.” As she did she winked and smiled at him.

‘This one is going to be trouble.’ Erik thought as he moved on to the last one.

He didn’t even get to ask this ‘Rogue’, she just explained hers.

“My mamas call me a leech. Whenever I touch someone I drain their powers, skills, and memories. Then after a spell, it returns and I lose them, but some skills I get to keep for good." The brown-haired teen explained without demonstrating. The leader did wonder what had caused her small premature white patch of hair. he could tell it was natural, as even her roots were pure white.

“Such as?” Nath’aniel asked from behind Erik.

Rogue stared into the mage’s eyes as she answered the mage. "Growing up, I never had any time to learn anything besides English. But after touching Mama a couple of times over the last week, I understand some of the drivel my sister spews out now."

Erik nodded and took a few steps away. He was about to get to the heart of the matter, and was about to ask their ages. However, before he could he heard and felt a chair move away from one of the tables. Erik could also feel the collar the short girl wore move as she jogged over and got in line beside the others.

“Wolfsbane, you wish to join the Brotherhood?” The mutant leader asked in surprise.

“Well I don’t really have anything to go home to, and I don’t think Nath is as eager at recruiting, as you all are. So, yeah I do." The short redhead gave an answer.

Erik looked at the mage for his opinion, who only shrugged.

‘Either he doesn’t have a use for her, or isn’t interested.’ The mutant leader thought before readdressing the girl. “Ok, for now, but should Nath’aniel find he needs you more than us, at a later date we will readdress the issue.”

Erik hides his joy and the beginning of a smile when he felt her breakfast companion also stand up but then failed to hide his frown. As he saw a blonde woman materialize behind Kevin, and force him back into his seat.

"You break up with the poor man, and now you stop him from making decisions in his own life." Erik scolded the newly minted Servant.

Lancer glared at him, as she said. “If he wants to swear his blades to you, than he can for all I care. However, Ka-zar is far old enough to more than meet the requirement, so let those four be tested first.”

"A fair point," Erik muttered.

Then Psylocke asked. “Exodus, you have spent a fair amount of time with them, how do you rate them?”

“Rogue is the most skilled of those three, but her training doesn't take into account the range of her powers. So I would say they all need to be given a strict training regime.” Exodus said, from his lonely table. Then he added. “As for the Wolfsbane, I haven’t seen her fight, but from the damage she inflicted on Magneto’s armor I would say she is the strongest of all four of them.’

“But with that said, they held their own and actually beat other powered people in combat. So I would say Mystique’s kids get a pass from me. With the understanding, that they still need more training.”

“Wolfs fought well enough against the Nazis," Bass added, from her own table.

“And she heeded the orders of those with more experience than her, when she fought the Sun people, so I say that she is ok to join us as well.” The telepath added from the other battle the werewolf participated in.

"That just leaves age," Erik announced and looked toward the mage.

Nath’aniel must have taken that as a cue, as he asked. “Nightcrawler, how old are you?”

“I am sixteen sir.” the furry boy answered, the boy did appear to be the youngest of them.

The other kids didn’t need to be asked. They each started to give out their answers.

“I am already seventeen, la mignonne (cutie)," Murmur said, before blowing a kiss whether it was at Erik or Nath, the mutant leader wasn’t sure as he was standing between her and him.

"I will turn seventeen in September," Wolfsbane told them.

“I am also only sixteen, but will turn seventeen in September as well.” Rogue offered last.

Before the mage could render his judgment, Mystique spoke. “Might I remind Magneto, you let your kids join the Brotherhood when they were only sixteen years old.”

Erik shook his head, as he knew the only reason these kids weren’t already members was because she had wanted to wait. So he had to be honest as he said. “And while that might be true, sadly it’s not my hand that wrote the Citadel’s laws.”

With that, almost everyone turned and looked at the man who would be the final voice on this topic. Nath'aniel didn't even bat an eye at all of the attention. He rose to his feet before clapping towards the gathered teens.

“Fifteen.” The mage muttered, before explaining. “Under Magi law, a Tribesman of the Land may join a military group with a parent’s consent at the age of fifteen, and requires no one’s consent once they turn twenty. So congratulations to each of you, and to the Brotherhood of Mutants, may your continued cooperation achieve many things.’

“Deadpool, give me a couple of hours to prepare some equipment, and then join me in medical to get that shard out of you. Then depending on your recovery, I will see about healing your scared flesh tomorrow.”

Then as the mage moved to leave, both of his Servants disappeared. Psylocke in a spray of purple sparkles, while Lancer vanished in one of yellow. As they did Nightcrawler complained. “How come they can teleport, and I can’t?”

Erik wanted to sigh and explain it to the boy, but he didn't once he saw the blonde man rise from his seat and move to join him. The mutant leader moved to meet him, and held out his hand to shake, but the wild man instead grabbed and held his forearm.

“So long as you are fighting to protect the Savage Lands, I will offer you my blades and fists.” The abandoned mutant stated.

"Glad to have someone with your abilities and experience with us," Erik told the man.

Then he looked over the man’s shoulder towards the two men chatting about books throughout most of the meeting. John shook his head when he saw Erik’s gaze. Telling him that Multiple-man was not willing to join as well. ‘Well, we can’t win them all.’ Erik thought, as he smiled at the man who was still holding his forearm.

1