Chapter 29
639 2 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 29

A frown creased Tatsuya's face, his eyes narrowing as he regarded the man. Noticing the other presences in the room, he nodded his head in greeting.

Three additional elderly figures were present, excluding his mother seated at the head position. These three were the other elders of the Hyuga clan, the four main elders who controlled most affairs within the clan.

"Why were you waiting outside the door, Tatsuya-chan? Come inside," Yami said.

"Mind your language, Yami. He is my son and the candidate to be the future leader of our clan. You can't address him like a child," Hitomi chastised, her tone cold.

A twitch appeared on Yami's forehead, but he managed to control himself, responding with a smile, "Ah... Is that so? My apologies if I offended you, Tatsuya. I've always thought of you as my nephew."

"Don't worry, Mother. Uncle Yami can keep calling me his nephew. After all, he loves me like one, doesn't he?" Tatsuya remarked pointedly, eyeing the man.

The other three elders snickered at that – everyone knew the sort of "loving" uncle Yami had been.

"Yes, yes. You are correct, nephew Tatsuya," Yami replied shamelessly.

The oldest elder, his grizzled skin and long beard giving him an ancient appearance, glanced at Hitomi with a pleased expression. "I heard young Tatsuya defeated the Uchiha girl at the Academy," he remarked.

"Yes, he did," Hitomi responded calmly before adding, "I didn't realize you involved yourself in academy matters these days, First Elder."

"Hmph! How can I not? It is a great source of pride that our noble Hyuga bloodline defeated those wretched Uchihas," the First Elder declared pompously.

Tatsuya couldn't help but think, 'These senile old fools and their deluded superiority complex will cling to them until their dying breaths.'

Hitomi frowned at the elder's words. "Have you gone senile already, old man? Mind your tongue. Most Uchihas perished long ago so at least respect the dead, and the one you insult is but a child. Have you no shame remaining?" Her eyes glowed an ominous white as she refused to allow her friend's daughter to be disgraced before her.

"Tsk." The First Elder clicked his tongue but said no more under Hitomi's stern, threatening gaze.

"You should apologize, First Elder. After all, the clan leader was quite a friend to the wife of the late Fugaku," Yami said, smiling.

The First Elder's eyes seethed with hidden rage at Yami's remark, but seeing no words coming from the other elders, he unwillingly said, "I apologize for my words. My tongue has been a little loose these days. Old age is getting to me."

Both Tatsuya and Hitomi ignored his insincere apology, well aware that half of the village's elderly grew increasingly senile and corrupt with age. Trusting them was out of the question, and this man was the most ancient of them all, so one could imagine his nature.

"Now that the topic of the Academy has stirred, I also heard that little Hinata lost to Sasu--"

"Before you continue," Tatsuya interjected, cutting off Yami's words. He blinked, frowning at the interruption.

"I don't see the point of discussing such trivial matters in a meeting of elders. Wins and losses are a part of a ninja's life. Or have you never lost a spar in your life... Uncle Yami?" He said provocatively.

Yami didn't reply immediately, sensing the tension in the room. He knew he would lose the point if he argued further at this, so he attempted to change his approach.

"I didn't mean it like that, nephew Tatsuya," he explained, his tone slightly more conciliatory. "The point of my previous statement was simply as a reference. A reference to help us know who may be more suited for the position of heir," he added, speaking in a nasal tone.

Supporting him, the Second Elder spoke out. "I think it would also settle the debate for whom the position of heir should be officially recognized." He was a lanky man with a long chin, a parrot nose, and pockmarked skin, his overall appearance undeniably unattractive.

Yami nodded in agreement with a sly smile. "Tatsuya is already 13 years old. We shouldn't delay this any further. What should have been done eight years ago has already been delayed for too long."

"Haha... These three are being so roundabout that it's making me laugh. Lady Hitomi, let me say what they are trying to say in simple words: what they want is for us to finally complete the cage seal ceremony on Hinata and Hanabi for once and for all and start training them to lead the Side Branch Sect . We all remember the Hyuga incident, right? We should always be apprehensive about such things happening again. So the cage seal is a must as it acts as a safety net for us," the third elder said, chuckling as he rubbed his gray goatee. 

Everyone looked towards Hitomi after the elder said that. Hitomi frowned upon hearing the suggestion. She didn't want her two precious daughters to be caged by this pre-historic tradition. Times had changed, and she no longer fully believed in such practices. While necessary in some cases, the exploitations of victims that followed were too numerous to count, with Hizashi serving as a prime example. Under no circumstances would she ever allow that to happen to her children. However, changing long-lasting traditions in a short time is incredibly difficult unless one possesses overwhelming strength.

Thankfully, one relief for Hitomi was that her late husband had done one good thing before his passing; he had not revealed to anyone whether Hinata or Tatsuya was the elder twin. This secrecy had allowed them to delay the cage seal ceremony for eight long years.

"Tch," Tatsuya thought, narrowing his eyes. He knew exactly why they were pushing for this. These elders had employed the same tactic when Hiashi and Hizashi were born. They always tried to divide the main family using this technique, while simultaneously concentrating their own power more easily.

While the Head of the Hyuga clan held absolute authority in theory, in reality, all but major decisions were handled by the elders, who wielded significant influence over the members, especially the brainwashed Side Branch as they were under direct control.

That's why they had tried to seal Hinata and Hanabi's eyes and transfer their official position to the Side Branch. Once designated as such, they became much more susceptible to control and influence, which the elders couldn't exert over them as long as they remained in the main family.

There were also numerous other benefits, such as being able to marry one of the side branch members, who was previously from the main family, to their sons and grandsons, thus acquiring the higher-quality main family bloodline.

As for why they refrained from attempting to subject him to the cage seal ceremony, they knew it would be impossible. His previous self was too talented and a showoff, so many people knew of his capabilities. And making him a side branch member would have been seen as an insult to everyone's intelligence and undoubtedly created a scene. And they also knew they wouldn't be able to manipulate him easily compared to Hinata.

Furthermore, Tatsuya himself would never allow something like that to happen. Being a slave to such senile old men was worse than death.

"A mere academy spar is hardly enough to determine who is better suited for the position of heir. And it is certainly not for you to decide when and whom the cage seal should be applied to. Don't try to cross your boundaries, Elders." Tatsuya said firmly, making all the elders click their tongues in annoyance and rage as their looks turned towards Tatsuya.

"But the last batch of Side branch members have also been unable to undergo the cage seal ceremony due to this!" the First Elder exclaimed loudly.

Originally, the rule dictated that whenever a Main family member turned five years old, it was customary for all the side branch members to undergo the cage seal ceremony.

However, in this case, nobody knew which one was the older twin between Tatsuya and Hinata. This was the reason for these old men's headaches.

"But that's not my concern," Tatsuya retorted. "If you Elders were not hellbent on having the cage seal ceremony at the same time as the Main family, this would have never occurred."

"This is Tradition! It can't be changed!" The First Elder stood up, shouting. But before he could say anything more, he was launched into the air like a cannonball, crashing into the wall and vomiting blood. Others turned towards him but could do nothing but remain seated as an ancient statue. 

Everyone had walked on the edge, but he dared cross it. "Aargh!" He shouted in pain, clutching his stomach as blood leaked from his lips.

"I had already warned you, First Elder, to mind your words before you speak and not shout in front of me. It seems you really have gone senile," Hitomi said sternly, standing up.

"As you said," the Third Elder replied, nodding his head.

'My mom is such a badass,' Tatsuya thought, cheering for her internally.

Hitomi continued, "And for the decision of who would be the heir and upon whom the cage seal would be applied, I have made my decision."

'She has made her decision? Why? According to her personality, she should have tried to delay it as long as possible. What is she planning now?' Yami thought, feeling apprehensive. He hadn't anticipated that she would make a decision so soon. He had come today solely to increase pressure on them, and he didn't expect them to make a decision this quickly.

Even Tatsuya was surprised, but he stayed calm, knowing his mother wouldn't make a wrong decision.

Everyone waited for her decision.

"The heir would be Tatsuya Hyuga," she said, and immediately the elders became pleased, thinking their plan was successful.

Yami was the only one who still felt apprehensive.

"Mother?" Tatsuya asked, feeling confused but calmed after she gave him a reassuring look.

"And regarding the cage seal ceremony, Hinata will not be included in it, because I have made the decision to engage Hinata to Tatsuya," she said calmly.

"What?" It was Tatsuya's turn to stand up, rather in shock.

38