Ch.4: 1 month
3.2k 8 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

1 Month after hatching, Almira is sitting in their living room, focusing on her hands. After what feels like an eternity to Almira, the fur on her arms recedes from her fingers all the way to her wrists, leaving her looking at her now human hands.

“I did it!”

“Great job sweetie.”

Almira yells, as she succeeds in her little transformation and Evalyn looks at her daughter with a proud look on her face. Some may wonder why they are so happy about Almira changing her hands to look like human’s, when a month ago she already changed her claws, but there is a big difference between what Almira did just now and what she did back then.

Accidental Wandless Magic, or Underage magic, is a form of magic where a child under the age of 11 uses magic with, in most cases, no control on what the magic does. This is also what Almira did when she first changed her claws into normal human nails.

As it’s almost impossible for underage magic to end up as transfiguration magic, unless the user already had the ability to transform like in the case of the child being a metamorphmagus, Evalyn reached a conclusion that her attempt in turning Almira into animagus while she was still inside the egg failed, but somehow instead of a total failure, gave Almira the ability transform on her own. Following this thought they practiced for a month and now, Almira has succeeded in transforming her hands back and forth 3 times in a row, meaning Almira now has control over her transformation ability. All she needs to do now is practice until she can turn her whole body into a human one.

Practicing transforming is not however the only thing they managed to in the past month. One of the things Almira feels is the most rewarding is that she has gotten her voice strings in order, and if you don’t count some lisping here and some growls there, is now able to speak to her mother.

‘Mom really should have seen her face, when my first words weren’t “mommy” or “daddy”, but “table” and “fire”.’

One time, when Almira was practicing her transforming alone, she got really upset that she didn’t have any visible progress. The next thing she knows is that the living rooms table is on fire and she runs to the kitchen to tell her mother what happened, hoping she had some magic to put out the fire.

“What are you thinking?”

“Nothing Mom.”

A month has also been enough time for Almira to find out that her mother might not be quite well when it comes to her state of mind. She’s not violent or anything like that, but her moodswings can be quite terrifying. She’s happy as long as Almira does the things she feels that children should do, but if Almira doesn’t want to do something from this list her mood drops to the bottom, with all light disappearing from her eyes. Some of the things on this list are sleeping on the parent’s bed, going out to get ice-cream and playing with the neighbor’s kids. Of course, when they go out, or someone comes to visit, Evalyn casts a transfiguration spell on Almira to turn her fully human.

“Mom, can we go the forest today?”

“No can do sweetie. I promised Mrs. Helman to make some medicine for her son.”

“But Mom, you said 2 days ago that if I can transform my hands 3 times, you would take me to the forest.”

Funny thing is, whining about things is also included on the list of what children should do.

“I know, and I promise to take you there tomorrow.”

“Fine. But you have to let me run without transfiguration spell on me.”

Another thing to happen in the past month is Almira learning to love her original form, the balance that her tail gives her, the speed and jumping height from her legs, the ease of climbing with her claws and the sharp senses from her catlike eyes and ears. Yes, she found that if she focuses hard enough on something with her eyes, her round pupils turn into slits, enhancing her sight. And as there’s rules about running indoors, small animals in the nearby forest became her favorite pastime activity.

“Only if you promise to watch out where you’re going and making sure that no muggle sees you. Last time I had a hard time obliviating all those boy-scouts when you ran into the middle of their camp while chasing a rabbit.”

*giggle*

Almira tries and fails to hold her laughter as she remembers the faces those boys made as they tried to make sense of her figure standing still after breaking through a bush and almost running into their campfire.

“Their faces were funny.”

“Almira.”

“I promise.”

Flinching on her mothers stern voice, she gives her word.

“Good. Now then, let’s eat before I head into the laboratory.”

“What do we have for dinner?”

“Beef stew.”

As they ate their dinner, Almira wonders if the breastfeeding on the first day was just to fulfil some deep wish of her mothers, as the very next day her mother started feeding her the same food she ate.

“Can I come watch as you make the medicine?”

Almira asks after the dinner.

“Sure you can sweetie. But you know the rules, no touching anything.”

82