Ch. 31: Mommy
3k 58 64
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evalyn sat on the side of the bed, a warm smile on her face, as she watched her sleeping daughter’s face.

Gently, she wiped the tearstains from Almira’s cheeks and leaned in to give a soft kiss in her head, before standing up and leaving the room, closing the door behind her.

She stood in the hallway a moment, before starting to make her way towards the phone sitting on a corner table in the living room, still the same warm smile on her face.

Evalyn picked up the phone, before taking out her wand and muttering a silent spell, making the dial rotate on its own, putting in a number and letting out a continuous toot toot.

After a while, the call went through and an annoying, raspy woman’s voice sounded in Evalyn’s ear.

“Cleaning service Shining Kettle, even the pot can’t call us black. How may we serve you today?”

“Hello Jack.”

“Evalyn, what a pleasant surprise! What’s it been, 11 years? You really should call more often than that you know.”

Evalyn didn’t bat an eye at how the voice on the other end of the call smoothly changed to a sonorous voice of a man.

“What is going on in Hogwarts Jack?”

There was a moment of silence after her question before Jack answered with a much less jovial tone.

“What makes you think there’s something going on in that dreary castle?”

“A troll let loose inside the school, a cerberus guarding a corridor, a teacher using a killing curse on a student. These enough?”

“Oh, I did hear about the troll and maybe something about a three-headed dog, but a teacher using a killing curse? I’m guessing the oh so tragically deceased Professor Quirrell was the teacher, but who was the student?” Jack asked with interest.

“Jack.” Evalyn said, still having the warm smile on her face.

“Wow, haven’t heard that tone in a while. Who’s got your panties in a twist? It’s not like you’ve got a-… Oh. Well, isn’t that a surprise. Almira Marlson. She’s a pretty little thing isn’t she? And by the looks of it, the congratulations seem to be way overdue.” Evalyn could almost hear the mans smile get wider and wider.

“You can drop the act. We both know there’s no way you haven’t been keeping the occasional taps on me.”

“A little narcissist are we? What makes you so sure that you’d be important enough to warrant the interest of the great me?” If not before, then now Evalyn was sure that Jacks mouth reached from ear to ear and a little over.

“I’m not making them anymore. You should be quite clear on that.”

There was another moment of silence, before Evalyn heard Jack let out a sigh.

“I know Evalyn, but a friend can worry can he not? Still, 11 years Evalyn, 11 years. That’s how long it took for you give a call. You even got a kid old enough for Hogwarts now for Merlin’s sake. How’d that happen anyway?” Jack said, now missing the joking tone from before, being replaced with voice filled with hurt.

“Back to the point at hand if you would Jack.” Evalyn said, still having the warm smile on her face.

Hearing this Jack let out another sigh, before starting to talk.

“Really, couldn’t even ask how I’ve been these years before going to business? Alright then, business it is. Before starting you should know that getting news out of Hogwarts isn’t the easiest job there is. Those enchantments aren’t playing around, so, on what goes inside the castle itself, all I have is what has been freely given out. Though, with your daughter being a student and all I believe you have already heard all of that.

On what goes on outside of the castle? There’s not much on there either. What I have are rumors on someone or something hunting unicorns in the Dark Forest and under the table dealings of dragon eggs. As I said, not much.” Evalyn waited patiently for Jack to continue as she was sure he would have rather said nothing if this was all he had. And she wasn’t wrong.

“Except for few little tidbits. You see, right before the start of the schoolyear, the half-giant groundskeeper of Hogwarts went to retrieve something from Gringotts with an approval-letter from Dumbledore himself. This in itself would be nothing special, except that the very next day there was a robbery at the Gringotts.

Now, this is where it starts to get interesting. As I mentioned before, there’s a rumor going on that something is hunting for unicorns in the school’s backyard. You are no doubt aware that there are many reasons for one to hunt a unicorn, for example their horns, hairs or… blood.”

“…” Evalyn stayed silent with a warm smile on her face.

“… Fine, I’m just going to pretend you whispered ‘cursed life’ right there. Anyway, it just so happens that there is only one artifact in existence that can prevent, or even completely remove the symptoms of unicorn blood, as well as dwarfing it in effectivity. And it also just happens that the creator and owner of this specific artifact is close friends with one Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore.”

“…”

“Really, I shouldn’t even try when you’re in the mood to murder someone’s family. It’s the Philosopher’s stone. Quirrell tried to steal it while it was under Dumbledore’s protection and Almira, your daughter, was in a wrong place, at a wrong time.”

“… How sure are you about this?”

“On Almira being at a wrong place at a wrong time? Totally. On everything else? I would say about 90 percent. What, disappointed you don’t have anyone’s family to experiment on?”

“…” Evalyn smiled warmly.

“You do know your smile isn’t scary if I don’t see it right?”

“…” Evalyn continues to smile warmly.

“… Okay, it is slightly scary even if I can’t see it. So, what are you going to do now?”

Evalyn stayed silent for a moment before asking “Could you contact Philippa for me?”

“Philippa? Sure. What would you want me to say to her?” Jack said, a little taken aback.

“Tell her that if something like this happens again, I want my daughter to know how to rip someone’s spine out before forcing it back in down their throat.” Evalyn said with a warm smile unchanged on her face.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Author's noonecareswhatitisbutitis:

Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Ahem... I was going to delete the "chapter" from before, but there's some good comments there so I left it be :P Also: This is a new chapter!!! Though I said that there would probably be none... But here it is!!! You guys really didn't make it easy to not write with all the messages and comments and posts and whatnot, made me feel super bad for not updating. Kinda thought that with, what 9 months since last update everyone would've already forgotten about this, but no. Instead there's new comments and messages basically every other week...

64