CHAPTER 37: The Cusp of Revenge
77 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A muscular blue hand pushed through the undergrowth as a large bipedal beast sniffed the air.

The two imposing tusks protruding from its jaws gleamed in the sunlight. A loincloth was cinched around its waist, a pair of wristlet and anklet made of monster hide on each limb, and a necklace crafted of miniature skulls hung eerily around its neck.

It surveyed the area with careful scrutiny, detecting the scent of potential prey. A small yellow bar appeared over its head, which meant it had entered a state of curious suspicion.

The name of monsters had different colors that indicated their relative strength and level compared to a player—white signified weakness, orange, averageness, and red meant it was strong. Monsters were also classified into various tiers based on power—General, Champion, Elite, and Giant. There were also «Field Bosses» that were the most powerful.

Daisuke’s hands moved with a frenzied determination. He braided strips of bamboo fibers into a thick, strong cord, each strand interlocking with the next.

The fibers groaned under the tension as he stretched the cord taut between two towering tree trunks, their thick bases serving as makeshift anchors.

As the monster’s thunderous footsteps drew nearer, Daisuke’s own pulse thundered in his veins. He found a large, smooth rock on the forest floor. With his heart pounding in his chest, he loaded it into the pocket of his giant slingshot, its sturdy cord quivering in anticipation.

The fiend, oblivious that it was being targeted, drew closer, its grotesque form now visible through the dense underbrush. Daisuke’s eyes narrowed to dangerous slits, his Composure Stat stilling his nerves as he lined up his shot.

The monster’s bulbous eye, an inviting target, filled his vision. Time seemed to stand still as Daisuke released the taut bamboo cord. With a powerful snap, the rock shot forward, propelled by the pent-up energy of the bamboo fibers.

A split-second later, the projectile found its mark with unnerving precision, puncturing the bastard’s eyeball. A guttural roar of agony echoed through the forest as the creature stumbled backward, its monstrous form writhing in pain.

Simultaneously, the yellow cursor that marked the targeted monster’s location transitioned from white to yellow, then from yellow to a striking red. This change indicated the creature’s shift from passive to cautious, and finally to “target acquired.” Above its head, its name, level, and HP bar appeared.

[Exiled Hilitroll Chief | Lvl 17 | Field Boss]

With a mere mental command, Daisuke’s weapon materialized into existence, its form solidifying within his grasp. His eyes narrowed as he observed the troll’s name, etched in red within the System’s interface. This meant the monster was at least ten levels above him, but he didn’t despair.

“Grr!”

In a flash of fur and fangs, Zephyr lunged forward, his agile form a blur of motion. He targeted the tendons just above the monster’s heels, sinking his teeth into the fibrous tissue. Yet, as swiftly as they were torn through, they rapidly began regenerating.

Daisuke frowned. As I thought… fighting it head on is just a complete waste of time.

Before the monstrous fiend could regain its balance, Zephyr twirled and lunged forward again, aiming for the jugular with deadly intent. But the creature’s reflexes proved faster.

Using its massive club as an anchor, the troll bent its back and replaced its vulnerable neck with a large palm. Caught mid-air, Zephyr found himself in a perilous situation.

“Zephyr!” Daisuke’s frantic cry filled the air as he charged forward to save his loyal companion. However, the troll, its beady eye flashing with cunning, abruptly righted its form, hurling the canine like a projectile towards the approaching human.

Daisuke grunted as the pup collided into his chest like a cannonball, sending them both crashing to the ground. As they lay vulnerable, the beast unleashed a deafening roar and charged forward, wielding its massive club menacingly.

Daisuke paled.

Just below his own, a small window depicted Zephyr’s HP and MP—and both health bars just went down significantly.

The world of Sehreneti Online was nothing more than a rendering of a 3D virtual reality. But for Daisuke, it was more than just a game. His entire existence was a complex interplay of ones and zeros within this digital realm.

As far as he was concerned, this virtual landscape transcended mere simulation; it was his reality, and everything within it was undeniably real.

To that end, while his health bar being reduced was nothing more than a collection of numbers that showed his hit points, it held profound significance far beyond simple data.

Securing Zephyr into his clothes, Daisuke pushed to his feet and desperately started retreating along the beaten path. The troll immediately gave chase, its predatory instincts triggered by the fleeing prey. But when it found itself plummeting into a gaping pitfall, the line between predator and prey suddenly blurred.

The troll grunted in outrage. It leaped as high as it could, but its hands couldn’t reach the upper rim of the hole. As it looked around urgently for a foothold, it noted the layers of dry foliage that coated the inner walls of the pit.

Stupefied, the beast looked up, hoping to make sense of the situation through Daisuke’s facial expression. But his face was entirely blank; only traces of contempt and malice could be seen, and the promise of a grim fate.

Enraged, the troll hurled its club at the cheeky human, but Daisuke simply stepped back. The weapon crashed into the canopy of the trees overhead, and then Zephyr stepped forward, his maw aflame.

The troll’s eyes widened in dread, the glow of many fireballs reflected in them. It shielded its face from the fiery onslaught, but its body wasn’t the target of the flames.

The moment the foliage caught fire, the beast went on a rampage, but its fury couldn’t alter the course of its predicament. And it roared and grunted a curse as Daisuke started sealing the hole with a blanket of leafy branches he had woven together beforehand.

As powerful as you are, especially with your crazy regenerative abilities, your physiological makeup is just like ours. You need air to breathe and survive, and no hulking muscles or sharp teeth can change that.

As the flames of revenge consumed their adversary, Daisuke rested beneath a nearby tree, his hand gently caressing Zephyr’s head as somber thoughts overshadowed savagery.

He couldn’t deny the gratitude he felt for becoming a player, but after spending twelve years in the game and losing everything in the real world, Sehreneti had started to feel more like home than the world beyond its virtual borders.

The heads-up display, or HUD, was a constant presence in his field or vision, providing graphical and textual information such as health bars, minimaps, and notifications.

While it made the world resemble a proper game for the very first time, it also draped a shadow of depression over him. His existence now seemed trivial and insignificant, with the perpetual sight of his health bar leaving him in a perpetual state of unease.

Consequently, he couldn’t help but disable most of the visual effects, choosing to focus solely on essential information like monster details and reward notifications. These were the few sources of good news that brought him comfort amidst the gloom of his virtual existence.

All of a sudden, a world message appeared on the screen.

[Haxks has slain the Field Boss «Exiled Hilitroll Chief».]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[Level Up!]

[The title «Devoted Hunter» has been acquired.]

[Sturdy Club has been acquired.]

[Small HP Recovery Potion x2 has been acquired.]

[Vitaberry x8 has been acquired.]

[Troll Essence x3 has been acquired.]

[Exiled Hilitroll Chief Tusk x2 has been acquired.]

[Horned Rabbit Hide x7 has been acquired.]

[Forest Imp Tail x12 has been acquired.]

[Malevocroak’s Legs x4 has been acquired.]

[Lipanthyer’s Fang x16 has been acquired.]

[8 Gold has been acquired.]

[Zephyr’s level has risen!]

[Zephyr’s level has risen!]

[Zephyr’s level has risen!]

[Zephyr’s level has risen!]

“10 levels and world recognition for hardly doing anything,” Daisuke said in disbelief. I know it was a level 17 Field Boss, but 10 levels are kind of… and why did I get materials from other monsters too?

“Anyway,” he remarked, a wry smile tugging at his lips. “I suppose that just goes to show how much the tables have turned now that I’m a player. Well then, let’s see what this new title is all about.”

 

[Devoted Hunter]

[Rank: Epic

A hunter invests a significant amount of time and effort in studying their prey—observing their behavior, strengths, and weaknesses, as well as their habitats and habits, all in order to effectively capture and eliminate them.

Title Effect:

▪︎ Monsters ensnared by traps are susceptible to a 50% increase in both physical and magical attacks.]

 

“Whoa~ that’s pretty overpowered,” exclaimed Daisuke, “but I can’t say I’ll be using traps as much as I did today.”

“Kyu~”

“You little powerhouse,” Daisuke ruffled the canine’s tiny head. “You managed to land 4 levels as well.”

“Arf!”

Daisuke didn’t need to assign Zephyr to the party; Companions automatically received EXP, or «Experience Points», in battle once they were summoned and within range. Additionally, EXP distribution could be toggled on or off, or adjusted as needed. Presently, Daisuke had it set at a ratio of 4:6 for Zephyr and himself, respectively.

 

[Name: Zephyr

Level: 7 | EXP: 3,947/7,656 (51.55%)

Race: Divine Beast

Species: Wolf

HP: 1360/1360 | MP: 323/323 | Attack: 65 | Defense: 68 | Satiety 63/100 | Loyalty 35/100

Strength: 32 (+30) | Constitution: 35 (+30) | Agility: 40 (+30) | Intelligence: 29 (+30) | Dexterity: 26 (+30) | Courage: 22 (+30)]

 

“I see your Stats are as abnormal as ever,” Daisuke murmured as he scratched the back of his head. “Though I guess I’m not one to talk. Mmm…”

For each level gained, players received ten Stat Points that could only be distributed to their Main Stats.

But judging by these changes, it seems that Zephyr not only gains 20 Stat Points per level, but they can also be allocated to any Stat, Daisuke noted. Well, I guess that’s fair—you can’t use equipment like we can, after all.”

GROWL~

“I’m starving,” whined Daisuke, cupping his belly. “How about we head back to town for now?”

“Rawrwu~”

7