Prom Night
1.2k 20 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That is the end for these two goofballs. I finally figured out a way to end this story that I'm okay with and for now, I'm not sure what I would add. This story was stunted by the lack of a clear issue. I might rewrite this story, or expand on this concept more! It might even be under the same name with similar characters. For now, just enjoy! If you want to support my work consider leaving a tip through Paypal or kofi!

AAAAAAAAA.

If someone had told me two months ago I'd be going to year twelve formal in a big fluffy dress, I would have called them crazy. There's no way I'd be out by then, or look good enough in a dress like that. It was happening though. I was putting on makeup for the big night, I looked good and I had a date.

Well, he likely didn't see it that way. It's been a month since he asked me to go with him, and it was mainly to make some last high school memories. Get each other's parents to pay for some new clothes that would be affirming our secretly trans selves. Unfortunately, I caught feelings. Big feelings that make my brain turn to mush whenever Adrian calls me cute or winks or smiles. I hardly even think about the fact that his body used to be mine, anymore. He'd made changes. Very, very good changes.

"Your friend is here Rachel!" his mum called from downstairs. I'd gotten used to being called Rachel. I preferred it to Alex. Of course, I couldn't tell Adrian that.

I walked down the stairs in my fluffy blue satin dress. His parent's stared at me proudly, obviously so happy their little girl had given up on being a man. Disgusting. I wanted to barf on them. That or I'm anxious and nauseous. Oh god, what if he doesn't think I looked good. No, bad Rach- I mean Alex. We weren't going to ruin this by fighting with his parents. Or barfing. Or letting anxiety get to us. 

I opened the door and was floored by what I saw. His hair had been dyed around a week ago to chocolate brown to match his original hair but with the way, he'd styled it looked dashing. He'd put on a bit of muscle over the last month, working what had been a pretty weak body into one that could easily pick me up if he wanted to. I wanted him to. He'd even gotten glasses. Something I'd apparently needed. It was hard to believe we were once in each other's places. 

He looked down at me and smirked, before pulling out a bouquet.

"For you, Rachel." He winked.

"Hi," I managed to squeak. Hardly acknowledging the flowers he'd offered me.

"Make sure she's home before midnight." his dad barked.

"Yes sir." The sincere smirk he'd had while looking at me was replaced by a smile that was so incredibly forced, it was like Luke's Guywalker had a hand in it. 

He grabbed my hand, pulled me through the door, and his dad closed it behind us. I looked up at him again, his smile had faded a little. Okay. I needed to get it back.

"Hi, Adrian." My breath sounded airy and even more high pitched than usual. Damn my brain. We stood on the pathways in front of my dad's car. 

"Hey, sorry. Seeing dad threw me a bit. The flowers are for you. Are you feeling alright?" Feelings were making me dumb. Bleh.

"I'm feeling great. You look handsome. Like really handsome." Why were my words failing me at a time like this?

"It's not weird seeing your old body like this is it?"

"I can only see you." I sounded so cheesy. Why wasn't he kissing me?

"Take the flowers, Alex." He was looking away. Was he blushing? I thought I was the blushy one. Either way, I did as I was told. They were beautiful and red and gorgeous and romantic. Were we trying to put on a show for my parents?

"Now, get in the carriage princess." He opened the car door and I scooted in. Was my blushing obvious? No, he would have teased me about it. Makeup might be covering it up.

It had been a while since I was in this car.  Getting lectured about how to be a man. Now I was wearing a big fluffy dress and Dad couldn't do anything about it. Adrian had taught me to be a little bit more spiteful. Still, I kept my mouth shut as Adrian slid in next to me and Dad started driving. I avoided looking at him. His threats of boarding school still lingered in my mind. My breathing starts getting faster. What if I give away the game? What if he recognises me? What if he somehow forces us to go back? Adrian grabs my hand and my body seems to relax a bit. He was right when he said my hands are small. They perfectly fit in his. I'm just going to let myself enjoy holding his hand and looking at his face.

I wanted him. I really wanted him. I know this likely wasn't meant to be romantic and I need to let go of the idea but Adrian has just been so there for me. So sweet to me. I don't want him to let me go. Will we still be close after graduation? 

We get out of the car and he doesn't let go of my hand. Thank goodness for that. Walking in heels is hard. Letting go of his hand would be harder.

"Hey, love birds," Joan and Sam chimed. I wanted to be embarrassed, but instead, I just smiled.

"Hey, don't embarrass her, you two." Adrian hissed. No! Embarrass me more. Make him think about kissing me.

"She doesn't seem to mind." Joan laughed. 

"Aren't you guys dating?" Sam asked.

"No." His response was firm and curt and damn. It would be too good to be true, wouldn't it? 

Still. I should enjoy the fluffy dress, the handsome company, and maybe dancing. I  didn't really know how to dance. Maybe not dancing. Maybe just fiddling with my dress and my hands and my hair. Anything to get my mind off of him.

Then he pulled me onto the floor. His face was red as a beetroot.

"Let's dance."

"I don't know how!"

"Let's flail?" He chuckled. Ugh. Stop it. Stop that. Go to jail. Screw it!

"That wouldn't be very attractive?" I giggled. Yes, any guy would fall for this giggle. 

"What, trying to impress someone?" There was sarcasm in his voice and a hint of disappointment. Did he not get it?

We were silent for a couple of seconds. The music was loud, almost deafening, everyone had broken into their cliques, and I had a choice to make. Do I just tell him and risk ruining our friendship and boundaries? Or do I just keep my mouth shut? He's always the proactive one. Maybe it would be better if I tell him. Maybe I could wait and see if he gets my hints and asks me out. Maybe I could just--

"Yeah, you." The words slipped out of my mouth.

"Wait what?" He seemed taken aback. Maybe that wasn't the right decision. 

"I'm trying to impress you!"

"Rach." He'd had to call me that at school. Why was he doing it now? My face lit up like a Christmas tree regardless.

"Yeah?" I tried not to sound desperate. Keyword being tried. 

"Do you like me?"

"Yeah…" My feet seemed like a good thing to look at. 

"Oh thank goodness." He straightened up. 

"What?"  

"Do you have any idea how fucking cute you are? I've been trying to dial back how many times I tell you 'cause I don't want to scare you."

"What?!" I shouted. Where was this coming from? 

"I don't know, Alex. I've been trying to be a little less forward. I thought you were too freaked out by dating your old body."

"You look good in it!"

"Damn right I do." He winked at me, sending me into a blushy mess.

"Stop being handsome!"

"Stop being cute!"

"So the flowers weren't just for our parents' sake?"

"Red means romance, Rachel."

"Hold up. Why do you keep calling me that?"

"I'm testing something, don't worry about it, Alex. Instead, think about why I would give you red roses if I wasn't into you."

"I don't know, maybe you wanted to do some cheesy teenage boy thing."

"You know what. Fair. That was a part of it. I chose red though. Red means romance!" So I am allowed to feel things about him. Now I really want him to kiss me. Maybe I could pull him down to my level. Or I could ask him? 

"Can you kiss me?" Not like that!

"Of course." He said quietly. He looked at me like I was the only person in the room. 

He pulled me into an embrace, his face was only a few centimetres from mine. We were really going to do this. Holy shit. He stopped before reaching my lips. Why?!

"You can come to the rest of the way?" He was teasing me! I'll show him.

I grabbed his face and pulled it closer to mine and I kissed him. It was brief, but for a few seconds, I could feel his lips against mine and my brain, unable to understand how I got here, stopped trying to overthink things.

"Good girl." He said in a husky low purr. And then he kissed me again.

"Does this mean you two are dating?" Joan called from across the floor. I wanted to slap her. We were having a moment!

"Yes!" Adrian shouted back. He sounded so excited. 

"We are?"

"I mean I assume so?"

"Does that mean I'm your girlfriend?"

"If you want to be."

"Of course I do!"

"So what do I call my lovely girlfriend?" He picked me up and swirled me around. I didn't really process what he was saying.

"What do you mean?"

"Don't be embarrassed. I see the way your face lights up when I call you Rachel."

"Are you okay with that?"

"I can get used to it. As long as you don't mind that I get called Alex sometimes."

"Of course I don't!"

"Then if that's sorted, we are dating. Let's dance. No need to impress someone you are already dating."

I followed his lead onto the dance floor and flailed for a bit. Just like I thought I would, not that Adrian seemed to mind. He was better than I was at this but not by much. We looked ridiculous. But that was okay. Sam, Joan and Callum eventually joined us in our flailing. Adrian snuck a few more kisses on me through the night. His parents would be furious. My parents would be as well. But it didn't matter. We were happy. 

62