The Three Tiers of Appreciation
227 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
another trigger warning.

Sometimes you just might wonder.

Am I really good at writing? Or drawing? Or making games?

Quality is pretty relative but in general. We can surmise it into Three tiers in which people appreciate your work.

This may not be that objective. Whether or not you agree with it, feel free to give your own opinions.

The first Tier is Free Access:

Anyone can enjoy your work without paying any cent. It's the lowest tier of appreciation because people tend to take everything for granted, anything in this tier. Because, no matter how good it was, they didn't really pay any money for it.

You can argue they paid for time, but everyone always paid their time for something.

The second Tier is Paid Access:

The general consensus is, when you start charging money for your works, it's going to be better and more dedicated than the free ones.

Money is important. Everyone needs money—well not everyone, but you get my drift.

Not all of us can turn their work of passion into cash. If they could, and able to make a living out of it—they must have something special that many others don't.

Whether or not their works are acceptable to you—it doesn't matter.

Their stuff sells.

...

The third and last tier is...PIRATED Access:

Was it really worth the money?

Each people held money at a different value, especially since many of the works out there were sold in US dollars. To some in first world countries, it might just be their lunch money...but for the developing ones.

That amount might suffice to feed themselves for the entire week.

...but well, that's beside the point.

Not all paid stuff will be pirated.

Only the special ones that people want to see and download without paying any cash.

For whatever reason, it's not for me to fuss about. I'm not going to argue whether it's ethical or not. It just exists.

...cuz people want them, among all the paid stuff.

Thus, I hereby declare. When your paid works start getting pirated, you have earned the top of appreciation Tier.

...

"Question! What if I spread my stuff into Torrent?"

"Nice idea. That can work as well."

"Does that mean I'm in the highest tier already?"

"That's not even piracy. You're the original creator--is it possible to pirate your own work?"

"Let's just keep silent about it. I'm in need of free publicity. I'll just leave the note in the end: support the original Authors, if you like it, buy it—we did!"

"Pretty shameless...but I like your way of thinking."

Fun fact: some Authors, like Paolo Coelho, supports this way of distribution for advertising their works.

...what about games, music, and avant-garde vomit porn?

Just ask Mr. Duck about it.

Basically, some support it--some don't. Though yes, whether or not their stances are, our Russian buddies will get to it at some point.

3