Rejecting the Holy Sword
274 6 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hector found himself inside a clearing. There was nothing besides a stone stuck on a slab. The faint rustling of grasses; clear unpolluted air; the chirping of unknown birds, moreover, a newfound warmth of sun sorta roused him.

'Where am I?'

Something within urged him to just pick up and pull the sword.

All the wild sensation assailed him: of conquering the world, defeating the demon king, basking in supreme glory of being the world's savior. Finally reigning as the supreme emperor and being surrounded by beauties left and right.

'You know you want it...'

'You are the Chosen.'

'It is your Fate to be the greatest. Now it's time to earn your worth.'

Those voices kept tempting him. Tender and sultry voice; so sweet and sensual.

Their words so filled with love and affection, as if they had completely submitted to him, body in mind. That their raison d'etre was to please their master with words sweeter than honey, intoxicating them in absolute grandiosity.

Back on Earth, he was a victim of bullying, for whatever reason it is.

He had no interest in getting a girlfriend—all of his female classmates were all such mean jerks. Even one or two who approached him only did so for obligation or even pity.

He didn't want any of that.

Confusion filled his eyes, 'Why am I here?' he remember the last time, he was going home from school.

He was already eighteen years old now—nearly graduation time. He thought he could say goodbye to all those bullying in college.

Now he was all perplexed; coupled with those voice beckoning him, it was so hard to think straight.

'..power...do I really want power?'

Regardless of the overwhelming energy from the sword, Hector didn't go up to pick it and instead walked to a small gap in-between the thick greenery. By shutting out the sounds and reminding himself—he was the supreme god of his own thoughts--he finally witnessed that path.

'I don't like those voices...telling me what to do. They sound just like my teachers and my parents, forcing their wishes on me.'

'Despite those honeyed words, I don't feel any sense of respect, and even less self-respect. These unrelenting flattery only made it more dubious.'

'Maybe getting sent to this place is a good sign. I can finally be free of their clutches. I will start a new life of my own.'

Nothing is free in this world. Hector knew of such a principle from the very beginning.

Even his parents only raised him for their own self-satisfaction—his own will wasn't regarded in the slightest. He didn't understand the parental love people talked about.

He was gripped with fear, about what price he paid, in the advent of his deliverance.

The moment Hector stepped outta the clearing, message boxes popped out in succession.

[You have gained the title 'Those who Abandoned the Holy Sword'. You have lost the qualifications of a 'Hero'.]

[You're now just a 'Nobody']

[You're no longer eligible to access the Main Scenario.]

'I guess it's similar to RPG games.' Hector originally thought, but when he muttered [Status] nothing of such were present.

He didn't even have any perks like [Inventory].

Hector was quite familiar with stories about being transported to another world.

It seems, unlike those main characters—he didn't receive any cheat. But it's understandable. It's not like he did anything special in life, to deserve such things.

He always believed in give-and-take. It was highly unrealistic for a failure in life to actually get powerful cheats just because you did one good deed. There had to be an inkling somewhere.

'I was already lucky enough to be sent here. Now I'm going to do my best to live in this world.'

Looking at the path leading towards a medieval-looking town, Hector was thrilled.

'I wonder how can I earn money? I'm worried if I actually knew the language as well.'

As Hector approached...the guards raised his voice.

"Identification!"

He was relieved that they actually speak English. Though for a moment, he felt strange.

'Wouldn't they find my clothes odd?'

As he looked down, his clothes seem to fit those of a typical Adventurer. He was already decently geared as well.

He thought it's kind of too much. Even knowing the language itself was already made him want to pay back whoever granted him such abilities.

"Errr...I was from the countryside so I'm not sure what kind it is." Hector rubbed his head a bit, while putting up a stupid smile--causing the guards to grunt.

"Don't play dumb with us. Show us your Adventurer ID or pike off!"

He wasn't sure which ID they were referring to, but when he searched his pockets, he found a particular card. It was made outta a bronze plate, with his picture and English words to signify his rank.

'If this world's language is English, then I'm relieved. It means I have less favor to pay.'

The words were written in medieval typefaces, like those in Guttenberg printings. Black typed letters atop a brownish slab of metal, with the opaque portrait of a handsome young man with black hair and brown eyes.

[Hector]

Adventurer Rank: G

Age: 18

...

"Che, just a small fry. Well, just go in."

As the guard moved away from the gates, Hector could see the bustling atmosphere inside the city, the moment he walked in.

The city had little to no dust on paving the dirt roads. Carriages were orderly, its stallions prancing at steady steps. None of the shady fellows loitering about. He could spot a number of Adventurers walking around. Some alone, like him; others with their party.

People of various races, from Humans, Elves, Dwarves and even Beastkin people.

No matter the race, they all seem to be treated equally.

Hector strolled around the city while taking note of various landmarks and convenient places to stop. Along the way, he pondered about the next course of action.

'This is really the other world. In the meantime, I got to earn some money and Going to the Adventurer's Guild was a no-brainer.'

To be on the safe side, he asked the patrolling guards. Unlike the rude guards on earlier, they gladly showed him the way.

The guild was a stoic concrete building. The steel-forged emblem of sword and shield crossed together was a spectacle in itself; etched on the center-top of the entire building. Hector stared at its spectacle in awe; his mouth nearly hung open. This itself made him look even more like a country bumpkin.

There, a lot of Adventurers congregate before the entrance. Of varying classes and races; mostly young people. Interestingly, the amount of male and female Adventurers were about equal.

Before Hector attracted hostility by eying a beautiful Adventurer who stood alone beside the entrance, he hurriedly waltzed inside.

The interior was even more crowded.

The first floor was a pub, where Adventurers chattered with each other. Ordering food and drinks. The delicious smell, covered by the pungent scent of their sweat made Hector queasy.

One of the young waitresses eyed Hector and winked. It caused some of the rowdy bunch to gave him meaningful looks.

That gaze was all too familiar for him.

'No need to bother with them. I have to focus on earning money and getting stronger.'

He ignored the mockery hurled by those group and strolled straight towards the bulletin board.

Out of sudden, a hand reached out from behind and grabbed him!

Yet, as he sensed the turbulent changes of air, he swayed his body on reflex. Using the smallest of movements, while shifting to longer strides in a natural manner.

It made him thought—maybe my strength actually got buffed significantly in this world. Compared to my old self.

Before he could mull about how the blessing was going to cost him...

"...so you think you're hot shit, punk? Our boss wanna talk to you."

'It was a typical goon from the stories.' he sighed inwardly.

"Is it the rule for everyone here?" Hector pointed at a tough-looking adventurer with scars all over his body, sitting at the foremost corner, "Does it apply to him as well?"

The goon shuddered when he locked eyes with that Adventurer.

In his mind, he might think 'Why is this young man so fearless! Not only he locked eyes with that guy casually, he even has the audacity to point!'

"Err...anyway!" the goon stuttered, "This is the rule for newcomers. Go meet him right away."

"I might be new here, but I'm not exactly a newbie. What kind of newcomer are you referring to?"

The goon scrubbed his bald head, before going back to a muscular middle-aged man with a total-bandit impression, "Boss, what should I do? I run out of ideas for that punk!"

The bald boss pummeled his head, causing bumps to appear, just like in a manga, "Hell if I know, dumbass! Go force him if you have to!"

Hector held his laughter in the nick of time. He wasn't sure if those are villains or just comic relief.

Especially when the bald goon muttered under his breath 'who are you calling dumbass—you couldn't even give me ideas.' for another round of pummeling.

Hector didn't lock eyes with them for long, and instead browsed some easy jobs befitting his rank. Seeing it was pretty low, he'd plan to avoid these guys and rank up the fastest he could.

"...err, you're not going to deal with him, Boss?"

"Where would I put my face then, you twit?"

Ignoring those ninnies, he picked the most suitable quests at the moment. He wasn't sure about his combat skills, but killing few slimes sounds good—eh--he thought again.

'Slimes may not necessarily be the weakest in this world.'

In Tensei Shitara Slime, the MC was a slime who eventually became one of the strongest beings.

When push comes to shove, Hector knew how to intuitively sense the disparity of power. His experience as a bullying victim taught him so.

Knowing your own fights.

As there was both the pub and the reception area on the same floor, it was so crowded. Adventurer parties had their junior members wait long lines, while the senior ones just dined and chatted like no tomorrow.

'The same hierarchical bullying was present again. No matter where you go, some things never change.'

Hector wasn't the bringer of change himself. He was content with staying outta trouble, for the most part. Even if someone near him got bullied, he's only glad it wasn't him.

'No one helped me when I was bullied. Even if I helped others—things aren't going to change for the better.'

Brushing those thoughts aside, he checked his Adventurer's ID once more--it belongs to the current city, Prima.

Despite the magnificent name, its surroundings were more fitting for an outpost town. That was his impression while comparing to what's in the novels.

For the receptionist, he went for a reliable looking buff man. The lines moved faster than the rest. It's also the shortest one, amongst other receptionists.

It was almost a given, that cute female receptionist with long lines was a big no.

There's a similar line with a handsome male receptionist. So many female adventurers lined in front—by far, it's the longest line Hector saw.

He shook his head while walking towards his desired line.

His hunch was right. The buff man didn't even say anything before he approved the request; stamping the form and just giving short explanations

"Usual stuff. You fail, pay the fine... Don't submit right before the deadline."

With his clear baritone voice, emphasizing the important points—Hector was elated.

'I made the right choice, after all!'

Meanwhile, the goon and the boss observed him the entire time.

"It seems this punk ain't a newbie, after all. He even went straight to old Gonzo, that ex B-ranker! It's impossible to even know what he's saying ." the goon added first.

"...but if he's truly a Veteran, he's too young. Look closely at his request, they're all trash-tier. That punk, he's really taking us for a fool."

"So, what're you gonna do 'bout him, Boss?"

"I don't like that type. They tend to always have tricks up their sleeve—I don't go for risky games. I'd prefer some actually gullible chump for our 'protection' plan. You know what to do."

"Roger that, Boss."

Little did Hector knew, all trouble he anticipated was already blown outta the window.

...

'First things first, the cream and crop of beginner quests—gathering herbs.'

He found himself going towards the same place he started.

'The item shop owner gave me the info. He'd also be buying some extra herbs, at a slightly lower price...this has mutual benefit so I doubt it's fake.'

He went straight away since he was already geared up from the get-go. Ironically, he didn't have a single coin on him. Thank goodness there weren't any entrance fee.

'If the owner asked me some cash, I'd lost my face right away, haha..'

A backpack and front pouch. Decent light armor equipment made out of thick beast hide. For the armaments, he had a trusty iron dagger around 50cm length.

The hilt was wrapped in comfortable leather, with the usual cross hilt, and blade clear enough, it reflected his own features.

'The daggers of this world were pretty large. I couldn't differentiate it with shortswords.'

Scrutinizing his appearance, he was pretty good-looking, although not exactly a hunk. He had short black hair, brown eyes, and a light-muscular stature. He already exercised a good amount during high school—to fend off the bullying once and for all.

In the end, he dealt more with his parents than his troublesome schoolmates...which wasn't necessarily a good thing.

...but since it didn't matter now, he'd rather focus on the task at hand.

On the clearing he started in, the Holy Sword was no more; just several patches of herbs growing nearby.

Picking up enough to the point it filled his backpack—he was wrought with thirst and hunger.

'Better find an Inn soon.'

...the next moment, in the bushes—he spotted a beautiful elf girl lying unconscious. Her pristine blond hair was tied in ponytails and the sight of her sleeping was mesmerizing.

Tattered rags wrapped her soft white skin; her full bosom was especially seductive. Not to mention, she looks amazing in many other parts as well. There was a big protrusion on her crotch area—perhaps a small animal rested beneath it.

Elves are close to nature so it wasn't uncommon for a familiar to accompany her.

But her shabby appearance and completely defenseless position made him shook his head.

In the end, Hector walked outside the clearing without paying it much heed. Nevertheless, his heart was beating wildly from the tantalizing visage.

'It's not my problem.'

Although it was followed by the incessant yelling of a young girl.

"What kind of man are you! There is such a beautiful elf girl lying in wait and you're just going to ignore her? You really should either save her and brought her to town in princess carry, or even touch her and do whatever you want!

Do you even have any penis at all?"

Hector just stared dumbfoundedly at this elf girl, not sure how to react...before she followed with...

"I do!"

It's just another one of those ideas I find fun, but only for a chapter.

1