Chapter 23: A Ranger returns home
3.8k 2 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walking through the forest had taken longer than Telvin had thought. Mianda was having trouble keeping up, he would have picked her up and carried her, but he needed to keep his hands free to fight any monsters that came their way. As Diasne was helping Mianda, Telvin took another look at his status window.

 

User Name

Tevin

 

 

Race

Half-Elf/Human

Bloodline

Oathbreakers Blood

Age 21

Level 3

HP 160/160

MP 120/120

Class

Ranger Level 3

 

 

Title

Forestrager

Exp 95/100

 

Feats

Raging Blows

Spring Returns

Background

Sins of the Father

Attributes

Strength 13

Constitution 16

Dexterity 17

Intelligence 12

Wisdom 11

Charisma 13

Luck 12

 

 

Skills

Basic Bow Use

Lv.3 10/100

 

 

Basic Tracking

Lv.3 5/100

 

 

Nature's Rage

Lv.2 5/100

 

 

Stealth

Lv.2 15/100

 

 

Basic Knife use

Lv.1 65/100

 

 

Throw Knife

Lv.1 05/100

 

 

Basic Axe Use

Lv.1 05/100

 

Last night, while he was on watch, he got a notification that Jack had upgraded something. Feat's were straightforward, Raging Blows increased his strength when he was in a rage. Spring Returns allowed his health to recover faster as long as he was in Nature.

The background however, was the thing weighing over his mind this morning. He had wondered if there was something wrong with himself, why he couldn't control his rage. Now he could see it was the fault of his father.

Sins of the Father- Your father broke an oath he took to his god. The god's rage knows no limits, for your fathers betrayal, the god cursed him. This curse has followed your father's blood and now it flares up within you. The rage builds within, learn to control or it will control you.

Yet another thing his father left him, cursed blood. His human father had knocked up his mother, while she was still married. Telvin was now a bastard with blood hated by a god. His blood began to boil as he thought of his father, he was startled when he felt a hand on his shoulder. Looking back he saw Riley.

"You okay there?" Riley said looking concerned.

Telvin sighed and forced the rage back down. "Yeah, I'm okay, just thinking about some things." continuing to pick his way through the forest.

Riley nodded and moved up next to him, she was carrying Carol with one hand, cradling her like a baby. Riley looked at him and said "My master taught me a way to think about thinking. He said 'Thoughts are thoughts, feelings are feelings, when it is time to think, think, when it is time to feel, feel. You can think about your feelings, but don't let your feelings think for you."

"Easier said than done. I get so angry that I stop thinking and just do." Telvin replied.

Letting out a grunt of agreement Riley said "It never was easy. Took me several years just to get on the right path."

Telvin was silent for a moment, before he said "According to my status, my father angered a god, and was cursed for it. That curse flows in my blood now. It's what's been causing me to feel so much rage all the time."

"Do you know which god did your father anger?" Riley asked.

Shaking his head no, Telvin said "My father was some human who seduced my mother back in the Elven Kingdoms capital Beryna. My mother was married at the time, causing a huge scandal. Mom's husband at the time didn't appreciate being cucked and promptly kicked my mother out. Never found out what happened to my father after that."

Diasne piped up from the back "When our mom came to the village, she was pregnant with Telvin. After she had him, she started to work at the local temple, where she met my dad. They fell in love and soon I came along!"

Riley looked at Diasne and asked "So your father was a priest?"

"Yep, he's a priest of Eramis, the Elven God." Diasne replied.

"Ah is that where part of your distaste for gods perhaps comes from?" Riley asked Telvin.

Grunting in annoyance, Telvin said "I don't want to talk about it. We just need to cross this thicket and we'll be at the village.

Going carefully through some brambles, they were soon in a little farm field near a small village. Mianda looked at the village with a frown and asked "Does a village this small even have a healer?"

Diasne laughed and said "Yes, one of the best. He came down from Teras, he studied with some of the legendary healers in the kingdom."

Telvin groaned and said "Please Diasne, don't launch into your fawning over the man. He's a capable healer, he'll be able to help Carol."

"I'm not fawning over him." Diasne said grumpy.

"You wrote several poems over the man. He's at least twice your age Diasne." Telvin said as they walked.

"He's not, he's only ten years older than me." Diasne said sticking her tongue at her brother.

"Still to damn old for you." Telvin replied as they started to reach the village buildings. They started to notice villagers walking around on their business. They waved hello to them and some greeted Diasne. The village was small, basically maybe only forty buildings. Of them were only four large buildings. They were the town hall, the temple, the tavern, and finally a nobles mansion that was run down.

Petele the Healer lived at the edge of the village in a small cottage. He had started living there a few years before Telvin had moved out into the forest. Petele said he was taking in the country air to study his craft, but Telvin was sure he had been banished from Taras.

Knocking on Petele’s door fairly roughly for a few seconds before he heard a voice through the door, "Coming, I said I was coming Damnit!" The door was thrown open and Petele stood looking at them grumpily. "What is it?" Petele was a Night Elf, standing at 5'9 he had platinum blonde hair tied in a ponytail. He had a pair of spectacles on his face that was a bit too large for his face.

Mianda said "My maid is hurt badly!"

Petele looked over at Riley and the comatose Carol, and said "Very well, Orc bring her in."

Inside the cottage was split into three main areas. Inside the middle area was a bed that Petele led Riley and gestured to put Carol down. Unwrapping Carol from the blanket she was in Petele saw her torn clothing and asked "What happened to the girl?"

Riley simply said "Goblins."

Frowning Petele said "I see, I will do my best for her, but her mind is out of my expertise. Now I must ask you all to leave while I take care of her." He shooed them away.

Mianda said "Can I stay here?"

"She may need someone close to her nearby if she wakes. I warn you that you may see some unpleasant things, child." Petele said.

"I want to help her!" Mianda said.

"Very well, she can stay, but the rest of you must go."

Practically shoving them out, Telvin and the others found themselves back on the streets of the village. Diasne was blushing furiously from the short encounter and said "Did you see how caring Petele was?"

"Oh god Diasne, your seeing things. Petele was his usual grumpy self." Telvin said. He grabbed his sister and started to pull her back to her home. He glanced at Riley and said "I would like you to come with us back home. I still have some things I would like to speak with you about."

Riley smiled and said "Of course, I still have some things I want to do with you" Telvin saw her eyes glance down his body, and felt heat on his face.

Diasne broke the moment and asked "are you going to tell mom what happened?"

Telvin nodded and said "Yeah, they have to know. Don't worry, it wasn't your fault and you weren't hurt so they might only ground you for several years."

With Diasne grumbling, Telvin brought her back home. The building looked almost the same as he had left it. A two story building, set not too far from the Temple, it had been well cared for. He had to hand it to that priest, at least he kept up with the handiwork.

Luckily the priest should still be at the temple. Telvin opened the door and went in with Diasne, with Riley following. A fairly comfy living room greeted them, with two couches, and a chair near a fireplace that Telvin remembered sitting watching the flames.

As he reminisced about the past, Telvin suddenly heard his mother Rabica come in from the kitchen saying "Is that you Diasne, how many times do I have to tell you not to leave without-" She cut off when she saw Telvin standing. "Telvin?"

"Hi mom, I'm back" Telvin said.

Rabica rushed forward and grasped him a large hug. Telvin could feel her tears in her voice as she said "Oh child it's been too long since you've come home."

After a while Telvin broke free from the hug and said "Mom, there are some things I have to talk to you about."

Wiping her face Rabica said "Okay dear, would you and your-" Rabica looked at Riley, and continued "friend like something to eat?"

"Yes, that would be great. Mom this is Riley, Riley this is Rabica my mother." Telvin said.

"How do you do Riley?" Rabica greeted her.

Riley smiled and said "Greetings Rabica, your home is very pleasant."

Rabica smiled and said "Thank you, just let me make some sandwiches." Rabica went into the kitchen.

Riley sat down on the love seat and patted the seat next to her as she looked at Telvin. Feeling a smile creep onto his face, Telvin sat down onto the seat next to her. From her bare arm, he could feel a heat rising off it. Diasne flopped down onto the couch across from them face down.

While they were waiting for Rabica to come back with the meal, Riley took Telvins hand in her large green hand. She began to knead it, exploring his hand with her fingers. She traced every finger, and stopped on his middle finger. Telvin heard his mother start to come back when Riley leaned over and said "I think i want this one in me first." As Telvin blushed Riley returned to sitting straight when Rabica entered.

His mother entered carrying a large platter of food. Several sandwiches were made and some cookies were on the side. "I have some tea on the stove, I'll be right back with it." Rabica said and returned to the kitchen. Diasne sat up and started to eat all of the cookies.

Telvin grabbed a sandwich and dug in, with Riley quickly eating as well. Telvin was already on his third sandwich when Rabica came in carrying a tea set. "Diasne, I told you before not to pig out on sweets."

Diasne sighed "yes mom" and picked the last sandwich up and started to eat it.

Rabica poured out the tea, and took a cup for herself. "So you wanted to speak with me about something?"

"Yesterday, Diasne was kidnapped by a group of Goblins." Telvin said seriously.

"WHAT!" Rabica screamed and quickly set her cup down and began to look over Diasne.

Diasne swallowed the bite of the sandwich and said "I'm fine mom, Telvin saved me before anything happened."

Rabica took a breath and calmed herself down. She sat down again and took a drink of tea. "What are goblins doing this far out?"

“Not sure, looked like a small gang that was sent out to set up a new goblin camp. I cleaned it out but they had already caught a couple of women.” Telvin said.

“Did they?”

Telvin said “Just one of the women suffered the attack. We took her to Petele to be seen. She was a maid of a girl. Riley was also captured but they didn't touch her."

Rabica said "Was this girl a noble?"

Telvin nodded and said “she’s called Mianda, apparently the daughter of a Duke Adam Evercral.”

Rabica was about to take a sip when she heard what Telvin said and she dropped the cup. Startled Diasne looked at her mom and Telvin started. “Did you say Adam Evercral?”

"Yes, is everything alright."

Rabica looked lost in thought for a second and said "He is your father's brother. He is also the last man to see your father alive."


Getting some more information on Telvin, he had some ideas of things to look for later on. Jack then started to look for a suitable location to enact his plan. Finally he found the ideal location. In the giant forest, between the cities of Narak and Taras, there was an abandoned temple. Entering his Avatar he prepared to send it down to the world.

90