Chapter 6 – The Krell
2.3k 10 88
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                Two large humanoid creatures, each about 8 or 9 feet tall stood near the crater in the country road.  One of them held a scanner of some kind, and was running it over and about the crater – and especially the egg-shaped pod that lay empty in the crater.  The creatures were humanoid in that they had two legs, two arms and stood upright, but they also looked distinctly crab like, with two smaller legs or arms on their chest, and a thick chitinous shell that wrapped around most of their body, leaving a trio of black orbed eye stalks emerging from the creatures’ head.  Their forms were garbed in some sort of armor, and even someone unfamiliar with their level of technology could see that they carried weapons of some kind – some kind of knife or small sword, and some kind of firearm.  Glyphs and runes that most humans could not identify were burnt onto their shells – like some kind of scar or brand that identified them.  The one performing the scan grunted, clearly satisfied.

 

                < Clearly the Valkyrie symbiote survived.  It must have found a host, > said one of the crab-creatures.

 

                < Agreed. > the other one said.  < There is a trail of hydrocarbons leading from here.  We can track the scent with our vehicles sensors.  It will not be difficult to discern this particular vehicle from the other earther vehicles.  The symbiote may not have had time to fully bond yet.  We may be able to take it unawares. >

 

                < I’ll comm the ship to get backup.  If the symbiote has bonded, we’ll need more troops. >

 

                < Agreed.  Let us follow the trail of the human conveyance. >

 

                The creatures got in their vehicle – some sort of hovering grav vehicle – and sped off at an immense speed, hovering just a few feet above the surface of the asphalt road.  As they approached settled areas, the two creatures engaged their skimmer’s stealth tech, and the vehicle shimmered from view, becoming invisible. 

 

                The trail of the burnt hydrocarbons led to only a few places – they would be able to find them with ease.

 

               

*              *              *

 

 

                *Where are we going, Jason?*  Siri asked.

 

                “There’s an old gravel pit near the outskirts of chi-town.  It’s fairly remote, and not many people go there unless they’re working.  No one should be there until dawn, if they’re even working today.  It’s Saturday, isn’t it?”

 

                *I think your television said yesterday was Freya’s day so, yes, I think so.*

 

                “Good.  Then no one should bother us all day.”

 

                *Good.  The sooner I can see how well we have bonded, the sooner I will feel at ease.  The Krell will be seeking us out, probably in an attempt to recapture us.*

 

                “And you’re mentioning this only now, because?”

 

                *Because you weren’t ready.  You already had a lot dumped on you all at once.  I didn’t want to overwhelm you.*

 

                I thought about it a moment, and had to agree.  “Okay – how much danger are we in?”

 

                *That depends on how fast I can bring you up to speed with our powers, Jace.*

 

                “Yeah, about that.  What exactly are our powers?”

 

                *Well, in all likelihood you’ll be stronger, faster and more agile than before, possibly quite a bit tougher, and be able to run, leap and swim at much faster speeds – it’s a sort of super athleticism.  You’ll be able to understand all spoken languages, and I’ll be able to share my not inconsiderable fighting experience with you.  You’ll be able to heal yourself and others, at least of lesser injuries, and basically be what I think you would call a weak superhero.  I can also sometimes allow you to summon armor and weapons, if we’re bonded close enough.*

 

                “This is if we have a weak bond?  What happens if we get a stronger bond - if that ever happens?”

 

                *Then you would have access to all my considerable powers, which would take a long time to explain.  You’d be on par with a fairly tough, or possibly even very powerful superhero...*

 

                “Huh.  If you’re a soldier, that means you have to follow orders and all that stuff.  Are you AWOL?”

 

                *No.  Technically right now I’m a prisoner of war, who’s duty is to escape, and find a way home to report for duty.*

 

                “Home?”

 

                *Asgard.  Duh.*  Siri chuckled.  *You had to know that.*

 

                “Right.”  Siri was right.  It was becoming too much to deal with.  The idea that I was now bonded to an angel of my faith, that I would need to ‘report to heaven for duty’ and fight in a war I knew nothing about... well, it was intimidating and overwhelming.  If I could save dad, I didn’t care – but it still shook me to my core, and I drove in silence for a while.  Siri gave me some privacy, and soon we rolled up to the spot near the gravel pit. 

 

                I had found this place a while back, when I was still in highschool.  My friends and I used to grab our dirtbikes and horse around in here.  I smiled at the memory of good times.  Where were they now?  Mitch was in Hawaii studying marine biology, and I think Clay was in Los Angeles on a football scholarship, headed for the NFL.  Bill was in Paragon, studying tech at the PIT – Paragon Institute of Technology.  I had been studying in Paragon too – for engineering, and Bill and I had shared a number of classes together.  I wonder how he was doing?

 

                *We need to focus, Jace.  We don’t know how long we have to train before the Krell find us.*

 

                “How can they find us?  We didn’t leave a trail.”

               

                *I’m not sure.  Their ability to track is exceptional.  They’ve caught us by surprise that way more than once.*

 

                I thought of my route that day, and felt a twinge of fear.  “Won’t that lead them to the hospice, Siri?”

 

                *I don’t know – but if you don’t know how to use your abilities, you won’t be able to help anyone, including yourself.  Let’s use this time to train, and then go visit your dad and see if we can heal him.  The rest can wait for later.  Besides – they’re looking for me – for us, actually.  They won’t have any reason to hurt anyone at the hospice.*

 

                “Okay.”  I replied, a bit unsure.  Siri was right.  I needed to learn to use whatever powers I had – but I couldn’t help but be worried that maybe she was wrong, too. 

 

                I looked at the gravel pit.  In the moonlight it should have been filled with ominous dark shadows, and dark areas where enemies could have hid... but as my eyes adjusted I realized I could see in the dark, almost as if it was daylight out!  Cool!  Do my eyes glow or reflect light like a cats?  I asked Siri.

 

                *In the dark they will.  In the light they’ll flash like golden fire.  Valkyries are always striking – we never look ‘normal’ or ‘average.’  It’s just a thing with us.  It’s the same with the Einherjar, too.*

 

                I nodded, and Siri and I got down to the business of training me in my powers, such as they were.  I ran, jumped, rolled, dodged and juked as we practiced against intangible enemies.  I was stronger, quicker and more agile, like Siri had claimed I would be.  I could run at almost thirty miles an hour, and leap about 30ft straight up, which was amazing.  I had been pushing myself full out for about forty minutes, and was just breaking a serious sweat, when Siri called for a break.

 

                As we rested on a handy boulder, I wiped the sweat from my brow, and noticed my BO smelled different... Less musky and more... delicate.  I chalked it up to whatever changes were going on with my bonding with Siri, but to say I wasn’t a bit disturbed would be an understatement.  I wasn’t the most masculine guy in the world, but I never had a problem with BEING a guy – and I never wanted to be a girl before.  I wasn’t keen on the softer, androgynous look I had – but unlike some guys, I supposed I could live with it – I mean, I still looked like me, mostly.  For some reason, though, my smell changing really bothered me – maybe more than it should have.  I kind of felt it was yet another step towards the nuclear option of going full-girl and bonding with Siri totally. 

 

                *I am sorry, Jason.*  Siri said quietly.

 

                “I know, Siri.  It still bugs me, though.  It’ll probably bug me for a while, too.”

 

                *If I could make it better, I would.*

 

                I smiled.  I really think she would too.  “I guess you can’t really leave me for a new host, without killing me, can you?”

 

                *No.  When Valkyries and Einherjar bond, the bond remains until death.  If I tried to leave you, I would cause myself great harm, and kill you.  Neither I nor you would survive long without me finding a new host, or you rebonding to me.*

 

                We sat quietly for a little while, and I drank some water from a plastic bottle I had in the car.    

 

                *Are you ready for the next part?*  Siri asked.

 

                “Which is?”

 

                *Seeing if you can summon my armor and weapons.  If you can, the chances that you can use the healing power will be fairly good.*

 

                “Huh.  Okay.  What do I need to do?”

 

                *Reach down inside you with your mind, and see if you can feel an energy.  For some it feels like a ball of light – for some other hosts it felt like a pool of cool water.  Try touching it, and drawing some of it into you – and when you do, concentrate on summoning armor and weapons.  It might take a couple of tries before we can see if you do it or not.*

 

                “Sounds easy enough.”

 

                *It’s not complicated, Jace, but some bonds are never close enough for the host to feel my power.  Give it a try.*

 

                I nodded, and got into a comfortable stance, and concentrated.  I imagined I was looking deep inside myself – reaching down... and after a moment I was surprised when I felt something!  It felt cool and warm at the same time, refreshing and comforting – but it shone with a golden light, dimly.  This is your power?  I asked.

 

                *Yes.  You can feel it.*  Siri replied.  *Try taking some of it into you.*

 

                I touched the power again, and felt it wash around my mental fingers.  It felt like it wanted to be used.  I drew some of it into me – but as I tried to pick it up, most of it fell through my fingers, dribbling back into the pool...  A few drops seemed to be transferred, but not enough.  I tried again, trying to force the power into me... and again, it dribbled away.   Damn!   What am I doing wrong?  If Siri knew, she didn’t say anything.

 

                Maybe I’m forcing it too much?  Maybe I need to give into it – let it sweep me away, instead of trying to command it.  Maybe by trying to force it, I’m screwing it up?  I tried touching the power one more time, but instead of trying to force itself into me, I let it wash over me, and relaxed.  I invited it inside me, and slowly, gently, a portion of the energy drew up my mental arms and into me...  I felt a rush of power, like I was lifted off the ground, floating, and I heard music...

 

                A moment later, whatever happened was over, and I opened my eyes.  I felt the difference immediately – a heavy weight on my chest and shoulders, legs and arms – and a weapon in my hand.  I was wearing a sort of plate armor breastplate – that literally left my stomach and midriff bare, with vambraces and protective plates on my legs and arms, metal boots that left my legs bare, and a plate mail skirt that hung to my upper thighs, covering my groin.  My head was covered with a sort of helmet, and in my hand was a glowing spear of golden light – and at my hip a long sword in a sheath.  A shield of golden light was in my left hand.  As I looked at the ensemble, I realized I was probably wearing the most anime style of Valkyrie armor that ever weebed, and it looked absolutely ridiculous on me, since I didn’t look remotely female enough or buxom enough for the suit of gear I was wearing. 

 

                “What the hell is this?”

 

                *What does it look like, Jace?  It’s my armor and weapons!  Good job, by the way!*

 

                “Why does the armor look like this?!  Why isn’t it covering my vitals?  One swing and I could be disembowelled!”

 

                *Um, first off,” Siri replied a little snippy.  “It’s my armor, and I usually bond with female hosts.  They never complained before.  Second, its magical – it can look sexy as hell and still stop a tank shell, so only your modesty and pride will be wounded.  Third...  I don’t know if there’s a third, but don’t knock it – it might keep us alive.*

 

                “Sorry, Siri...  I just wasn’t expecting to be wearing sexy barely-there armor.”

 

                *Why not?  Many of your heroes do!*

 

                “Other than Red Sonja, who is there?”

 

                *Conan, Tarzan, maybe John Carter of Mars.  The Three Musketeers, Zorro.  None of them wore armor, except maybe Conan, and somehow he made even that look sexy.  Rowr!*

 

                As Siri growled her appreciation, I felt a little odd, and nodded in defeat.  “Fine.  But I still think it looks damn silly on me.”

 

                *Silly or not, it might...*  she began, when a shot rang out – and a blazing energy bolt screamed from across the gravel pit, hitting me in the face.

 

                The energy bolt caught us both off guard – and it really hurt – scorching along the right side of my face, and knocking me to the ground.

 

                *Get up, Jace!  That was a Krellnari energy bolt!  We’re under attack!*

 

                Well Fuck.  I stood up to see how badly I was screwed, my face still burning from the beam that had scorched it.  The pain was manageable – just – but the odds against me were stacked.  Around the edge of the gravel pit were a dozen crab-like alien creatures in power armor, armed with energy weapons. 

 

                Twelve on one?  We’re screwed!

 

 

 

88