Chapter 16 – Debriefing
1.7k 8 70
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                As we sat in the waiting room to be debriefed, I felt a weird sort of mental tension – and I somehow knew Siri wanted to talk.  I’m not sure why you’re holding back, Siri, I thought.  If you’ve got something to say, just say it.

 

                *Now may not be the best time, Jason.*

 

                I Don’t care, Siri.  You’ve been holding back information ‘until later’ since we first bonded, and I’m fucking tired of it.  For once I’d like to know what’s going on.  I replied in my mind.  You may think you’re helping, but you’re not.  I deserve to be an equal partner in this situation, not some meat puppet you string along like a trained puppy.

 

                *Is... Is that what you think I’m doing?*  Siri replied, definitely sounding hurt.

 

                Partially.  I think you’re doing it to ease my nerves or keep me from freaking out or some similar thing – but its having the effect of keeping me from having all the information I need to make decisions.  It makes me feel like you’re leading me to decisions I might not make, because I lack information.  All I’m asking is for you to be honest with me, and tell me what I need to know, preferably before I need to know it.  I’m tired of being in the dark.

 

                *I... I’m sorry Jason.  You’re right.  I don’t have time to tell you right now – but I promise I will once you’ve got an hour or so alone where you won’t be bothered.  I promise.  I want us to be partners too – not master and servant.*

 

                I appreciate that, Siri.  I’ll wait this time – but please, stop doing the ‘I’ll tell you later’ thing if you can.  I frigging hate it. 

 

                *I’ll do my best, Jason.  I’m sorry.  That tactic worked well in the past with other Hosts – but obviously I need to do things differently with you, and I accept that.  But I need you to accept you might hear things from me you aren’t ready to hear or accept – and you might get overwhelmed by information at times.*

 

                I guess I can’t have it both ways.  Sounds fair, Siri.  Let’s try it that way for a little while.  If I have to eat crow and tell you I’m not ready, I guess I’ll eat crow. I thought.   Not ravens, though – I’m not touching the ravens.

 

                *Hugin and Munin will thank you for that,* Siri laughed.  *And they would be very grateful that you recognized that ravens and crows aren’t the same, even if they are related.*

 

                Well that’s good.  I smirked. 

 

                *I need to tell you something, Jason, that I should have told you before.*

 

                Not surprised.  Go ahead, I thought

 

                *Now that we’ve bonded more closely, I can um... take temporary control of your body if you pass out, or you allow me to.  It can aid us in battle, when you’re too weak to keep fighting, but it can also assist us when I need to relay information to my people.  It’s very tiring, but it helps when we’re new to a bond.  Later on, I won’t have to do this at all, because we’ll begin melding in ways that let us act as one, instead of two people, one body.*

 

                “What!”  I yelled aloud.  “I’m going to cease to exist?  What the fuck!”

 

                *No!  No!  You’ll exist – but you’ll change a bit and so will I.  Do you think we can be psychically bonded and physically bonded this way without partially adapting to each other’s personality at least a little bit?  You’ll still be you – you’ll retain your individuality – as will I – but we’ll be in closer communication, like we’re twins on earth.  We’ll just know what each other has to say, instead of this mental back and forth.  Basically we’ll be able to have a conversation like this in milliseconds, rather than minutes.  But it also has the side effect of blending us into one another a little bit – so that I partially adapt traits of yours – and you partially adapt traits of mine.*

 

                I growled in anger.  You didn’t think this was worth mentioning before we bonded fully?!

 

                *Frankly, no.  Would it have changed things?  Would you have chosen to not save your father’s life?  Would you have let him die?  Your only concern was saving your father – and you told me that.  I chose to believe you.  “We’ll deal with whatever happens later” I think is close to what you said, and it’s definitely what you meant if you didn’t say it.  Well, now you get to fucking deal with it, Jason.  You wanted full disclosure.  This is part of it!*

 

                I paused, hearing the anger in Siri’s voice, and realized this IS what I asked for.  She was doing exactly as I asked – and I was being a pissy little ass about it.  “This is why you said you’d tell me later.”

                Siri sighed.  *Yes.*

 

                “I understand.   Sorry for my attitude, Siri.”

 

                *No worries.*

 

                I sat quietly, thinking about the ramifications about what Siri had told me, and frankly it had its ups and downs.  I’d probably eventually get used to this new body of mine – which means the Dysphoria that had been making me feel awful for the last day and a half might go away, or at least lessen.  That was pretty good.  The downside was I wasn’t ready for some of the other changes it was making in me... like the weird feeling I got when Wulfgar winked at me.  Am I bisexual now?  I wondered.  Fuck me, am I straight?  I’m not ready to deal with that, not now.  For now, my gender is Valkyrie Soldier, and that’s all I need to know. 

 

                I had to admit, getting rid of the dysphoria would be nice – no matter how well the clothes fit, or how much I could ignore my boobs and so forth, I still felt awkward and wrong.  It would make living as a Valkyrie at least bearable – and maybe even fun.  Oh yeah, it would be totally different from how I lived before – and if I ever returned to Midgard, or Earth, I’d pretty much have to totally relearn how to interact with people – as a woman – but it wouldn’t be the end of the world.  I’d just be the clueless girl who didn’t know what she was doing.  I smirked at the thought.  At least I could survive.  I was a little more worried about the personality changes and how far reaching they would be – but if I still felt like ME, I think I could deal with them.  No offence, but Identity death sucks.

 

                As I was musing, the door opened up – and two men came in – men of immense charisma and personal magnetism, so strong it seemed like an aura.  One was a tall man, slender, with short black hair, dressed in green and gold.  The other was a tall man, broad shouldered and blonde haired, wearing chainmail and carrying a large sword on his back, and a horn on his belt.  I fell to my knees in awe!  I didn’t need Siri to tell me who these men were.  The only thought in my head at the time was 'Oh my gods, he DOES look like Tom Hiddleston.'

 

                “My lord Loki, lord Heimdall.  How may I serve you?”  I said as respectfully as I could.

 

                “Sigrid, this is unlike you?  Where is your fire?”  Loki joked. 

 

                *May I?* Siri asked.  I nodded and agreed.  “I would have greeted you differently, my lord.  This is Jason, my host.  He is a follower of the old ways, and may be somewhat overcome by your presence.”  She said through my mouth – which was an uncomfortable feeling to say the least.

 

                “Please, Jason, Sigrid, rise.”  Replied Heimdall.  “I am glad some Midgarders still follow the old ways.  You are welcome here, Youngling.  Be not afraid.”

 

                “Yes, please.”  Loki replied, sitting down in a chair across from me.  “Although I do like seeing people on their knees before me, now is not the time.”  He smirked.

 

                I hesitantly rose, and nodded to the Aesir, and sat down in the chair nearest me.

 

                “I see you have a new host, Sigrid.  You have our condolences.”  Loki began.

 

                “Thank you, milord.”  Siri replied with my voice.  “She was a good woman – and I miss her, as I miss many of my hosts.  The wound is still fresh.  I have much to report.”

 

                “Then please begin, Battle-Leader.”  Heimdall replied.

 

                “The Krell have a dire new weapon, one that can tear a symbiote from its host in a matter of seconds.  It can be used at range, and can affect multiple Einherjar or Valkyries at once.  I saw it tear Brunhilde from her host – and as our forces retreated, I held the line while they got to safety... and then it happened to me.  Brunhilde, Myself, and the Einherjar were drawn into the Krell ship by tractor beams – and then we were placed in containment pods.”

 

                “Go on, Sigrid.”  Loki said quietly, frowning in deep thought. 

 

                “While being held prisoner on their mother-ship, I overheard some of their technicians and one of their leaders talking about the possibility of using the Einherjar as test subjects – to reprogram them to use against us – like a genetic mind control.  Once they mastered their process with the captured Einherjar, they intended on attempting to use the process on Brunhilde and myself.  My containment pod was not secure, and I escaped – jettisoning myself in an escape pod, and fell to Midgard – where I met and bonded with Jason.”

 

                “We cannot allow that to happen.”  Heimdall said, with a dark tone to his voice.  “If we cannot rescue the Einherjar and Brunhilde, we will have to destroy them – and that mothership, before they can field that weapon against all of us.”

 

                “Indeed.” Loki agreed.  “This is dire news.  I shall inform the Allfather of the situation, Heimdall.  He needs to know.”

 

                “Agreed.  I shall marshal our forces and prepare a counter-strike.  Battle-Leader Sigrid, you have our leave to rest and recover, and rejoin your comrades.  Take some time to get your Youngling up to speed if you can, and get ready for battle.  When we make the counter-attack, I will be placing you in command.  You have the most experience with this weapon and the Krell mothership – you will lead the attack force.”

 

                “Thank you, milord Heimdall.  I will not fail you or Asgard a second time.”  Siri replied.

 

                “I believe you, Sigrid.  You have long been one of our best.”  Heimdall replied, in a kindly tone.  “Now get some rest.”

 

                “Aye, milord Heimdall.  By your leave.”  Siri had me make one of their Norse salutes – a forearm thrust forward crossed across my chest – and stood. 

 

                “Sigrid, Jason, walk with me a while.”  Loki requested – although it was really an order we daren’t refuse.

 

                “Yes Milord Loki.”  I responded, Siri having released her control of my limbs and voice.

 

                Loki held the door to the room for me, so I of course, left ahead of him – and a moment later he was walking beside me.  “You do realize you’re in a unique position, Sigrid?  You’ve been struck by this weapon and survived – and you managed to escape while still gravely wounded.  I have an idea that might assist us against the Krell – one that might give you a form of protection against their weapon – if you’re willing to undertake it.”

 

                “I’ll do whatever I can to help, Milord.”  I said, with Siri’s agreement.

 

                Loki gave me a wide grin – and all of a sudden, I felt a bit unsure about what I said... What did he have in mind?

 

                “I’m glad to hear that, Sigrid, Jason.  I’ll be in touch.”  Loki nodded, and then pointed to the right, down a large columned hall.  “If Siri hasn’t told you, I believe the barracks are that way.  Go get some rest and see your troops.  I’ll be in touch.”

 

                Siri shuddered inside me, and I couldn’t help but wonder what we might have volunteered for.

 

 

 

70