Chapter 18 – Rae, Herald of Loki
1.7k 5 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                I didn’t have long to think, before I heard a gentle knock on my door.  I looked up to see another Valkyrie – one I hadn’t met before.  She was average height, with light brown skin and long white hair so pale it almost looked like silver.  Unlike most Valkyries I had met or seen – myself included – she looked oddly androgynous and less traditionally female like most of the other Valkyries.  Her eyes were a mix of silver and amber, and her clothing was deep blue, shimmery, and suited her well – a light set of pants, with knee-high black leather boots, a white chemise that showed off subdued assets, and a very snappy looking dark blue jacket that went to below her waist, decorated with silver buttons.  Her hair was tied in a braid, and at the end of it was a large brass ring that tied it off.  To be honest, it looked almost like she walked out of an anime.

 

                “Hello?”  I asked.

 

                “Hello, Youngling.  Siri... I’m sorry about Sheryl.  She will be missed.”

 

                *May I, Jason?*  Siri asked.

 

                Sure thing, I replied.

 

                “Thanks, Rae.”  Siri began.  “Rae, this is Jason – my Host.  He’s feeling a little lost right now.”

 

                “I understand.  I just wanted to stop by and offer my condolences.  Oh – and to let you know that milord Loki has something in mind for you both.”

 

                “What?  Is it what I think?”  Siri asked, excitedly.

 

                “I honestly don’t know... but he’s been talking with a lot of the Lords and Ladies since Kira and Jana got back, and your name was mentioned a few times.  We feared the worst, but we still held out hope.  Loki never doubted you would return.  He said you were too stubborn to die – or to fail.”

 

                I could feel Siri’s shame for a moment.  “I came close.”

 

                Rae came closer, and sat down next to me – to Siri – and caressed her face gently.  “But you survived.  You came back to us.  I know you’re going through a lot right now, but I want you to know I’m on your side.”

 

                “Thanks, Rae.  That means a lot.”  Siri replied, taking Rae’s hand and giving it a squeeze. 

 

                Who is Rae?  I asked.  I could tell Siri had a lot of pent up feelings about Rae, and some of them were rather conflicted.  She was important to her – but in exactly what way, I couldn’t tell.

 

                *A very old friend, and also an ex-lover.  She’s Loki’s right hand woman in the secret service and she knows almost as much about what’s going on as either Loki or Heimdall themselves.*

 

                Okay, so listen carefully...

 

                *And learn to listen and read between the lines.*

 

                Yay.

 

                Rae’s hand left my cheek, and took my hand with her other hand, clasping it between hers.  “You know I’ve been hoping one of us would be chosen, you know that, right?  I have to admit, I’m a bit jealous – but I’m glad it’s going to be you.  I’m a thinker and a plotter – not a fighter.  You were always the warrior, the leader.  I’m more like him – like Loki.  I’m a trickster – and you aren’t.  You deserve this, Siri.”

               

                Deserve what, Siri?  I asked.  What is she talking about?

 

                “Jason is trying to figure out what you’re talking about.  Sorry, Rae.”

 

                “What I mean, Jason, is that basically Siri is due for a major promotion – to the ranks of The Twelve – the leaders of all the Valkyries.  The only step up from that is Ascension itself – where a Valkyrie or Einherjar is transformed into an Aesir Lord or Lady – as appropriate.  Only a few Valkyries and Einherjar have ever earned that honor and joined the ranks of the gods, but some have.  The Twelve are usually the most skilled and most powerful of all the Valkyries – and some serve in the courts of Freya and Odin themselves, as their generals.  The rest are the leaders – the vanguard of our heavy strike forces...  They lead us into battle, and conquer our enemies.  They are revered – and also feared at times – but are considered the best of us.  They are what all other Valkyries aspire to be.”

 

                “Well, that can’t be me.”  I said, taking control of my voice for a moment.  “Siri may be a great warrior and general – but I’m just a guy learning engineering, and worked a part time job at a restaurant.”

 

                “Whatever you used to be, Jason, ended when you bonded with Siri.  You are now a Valkyrie Battle-Leader – and soon, you will meld enough with Siri to take advantage of her years of experience and battle skill.  You will be the warrior we need – that Asgard needs – and in time you will grow into the role your partner has more than earned.” 

 

Rae’s voice was calm, and confident – and her conviction made me feel like maybe she was right.  Was she?

 

Siri, I asked.  Are you really that badass?

 

*Maybe. Probably. Yes.  This is something I’ve been working towards for centuries, Jason.  I can’t believe it’s actually going to happen.*

 

Holy shit.

 

*Holy shit, indeed!* 

 

Siri’s emotions were full of excitement and anticipation, and I felt them too – while mine were more amazement and dread at

what this might entail.  I felt unready, and unworthy – like a pretender who road in on someone else’s coattails.  I didn’t know what to think, or what to say, so instead I stayed quiet and let Siri take the lead, while I listened.

 

                “What of the Krell?” Siri asked.

 

                “I don’t know all the details yet,” Rae began.  “But there is a strike force being formed as we speak.  Its goal is to utterly destroy the Krell ship that possesses the weapon that can tear symbiote from host.  There is another mission too – one we’ve kept quiet.  We’re going to try and rescue our Einherjar and Brunhilde if we can – but if we can’t, we’re going to have orders to destroy the ship with them on board.  We can’t risk the Krell learning how to reprogram the symbiotes, and we can’t let them report on the success of their weapon.  I strongly suspect that you will be in charge of that strike force.”

 

                “That’s not all.”  Rae continued.  “The Krell have crossed a line with what they have done.  I have it on good authority that once the Krell’s secret weapon is destroyed, the Lords and Ladies of the Aesir will take to the field, and fly into battle with the Krell.  It is time this war ended, and the Krell – and any others that are watching – learn that the Aesir do not sit idly by while their servants and loyal warriors die.  They are making plans to strike the Krell homeworld – or so I hear.   To send the Realms a message that will be understood by all.”

 

                “Finally!”  Siri replied. “What changed?”

 

                “The mood amongst many of the Aesir is that the stability of the Nine Realms was more important than a victory against a unproven foe – but when we discovered they had begun crafting weapons to sever a Symbiote from its Host, the Lords and Ladies realized that a tipping point had been reached.  If the Krell could potentially disable the armies of Asgard, then Asgard would fall – unless overwhelming action was taken first.  The fact they are trying to also turn our armies against us, by reprogramming the symbiotes, well that was the final nail in their coffin lid.  The Lords and Ladies of the Aesir are going to war, and the universe will tremble.”

 

                Siri smiled, and clasped arms with Rae.  “Thank you for telling me this, sister.  When will this happen?”

 

                “Your promotion, and the raid on the Krell ship – probably tomorrow or the day after at most.  For the invasion of the Krell homeworld?  That will depend on the results of your mission – but it will be very soon.  Weeks, not months.”  Rae informed me.

 

                Siri nodded.  “Thank you.  I’m going to give control back to Jason for now.  I’m getting tired.”

 

                “Understood.  I’ll let you rest, then.”  Rae replied, caressing my cheek again.  “I’ll see you at the ceremony tomorrow.”

 

                “Ceremony?”  I asked.

 

                “Jason!  You don’t think a Valkyrie rises to the ranks of the Twelve every day do you?  There is going to be a big ceremony – probably televised – where you’ll be decorated, given your new rank – and be welcomed by your sisters in arms.  All of the Nine Realms will be watching.”  Rae said with a grin.  “No pressure, okay?”

 

                Gulp!  “O..okay.”

 

                Rae removed her hand, and stood.  “It’ll be fine.  Just remember that all of Asgards hopes are riding on you, and you’ll rise to the challenge.  I have faith in you both.”  She smiled slyly, and waved as she left the room.  “I’ll see you later.  Ta-ta!”

 

                *It won’t be as bad as she’s making it out to be, Jason.  She’s pulling our leg.*

 

                You sure about that, Siri?

 

                *Ummm... No, actually.*

 

                No pressure... Yeah right.

 

               

 

 

 

69