Chapter 21 – Promotion
1.4k 7 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

                The strange euphoria I had lasted only a short while after I woke from my drug-induced hallucination, but oddly enough, I felt at least a little bit better – even though the near-religious mania that had gripped me a short while ago was gone.  Yeah, I still felt awkward in a body that wasn’t really yet my own, and I didn’t like the feel of my breasts or the lack of feeling between my legs – and the dysphoria, the sense of wrongness was still there, and it was still miserable – but now it felt survivable, for the first time...  Like I could deal with it, at least a little bit, while coming to terms with it.

 

                That seemed pretty damn good to me, after all things were considered. 

 

                I looked at the clock – it was 6:13am local time.  Still early, then, I thought.  I noticed I wasn’t in my normal clothes; I was wearing some sort of hospital gown, coloured green.  I looked around – and grinned happily.  My nerdy Midgarder clothes were piled on a chair next to my bed.  I wasn’t too emotionally attached to the clothes, but they did remind me of home. 

 

                “Siri?  You awake?”  I asked.

 

                *Yeah... just resting.  Recovering from our visions.  Did yours reveal anything to you?*

 

                “Yeah.  I assume you saw things too?”

 

                *Yes, I did.  It wasn’t what I expected, honestly.  I’m not ready to talk about it.*

 

                “Me either.  It was pretty intense.”  I said, shaking my head.

 

                *Frankly, I’m more than a little pissed at Rae.  She might have had orders, but she could have simply told us it was non negotiable.  I would have had time to warn you a bit.*

 

                “I’m starting to see that Rae does whatever Rae does, and what other people think is largely irrelevant to her.”

 

                *I’m afraid there’s more than a little truth in that statement.*

 

                “Don’t worry about it.  I’m going to get dressed and explore Asgard for a little bit...  I promised dad I’d take pictures, and I intend to.”

 

                *Not dressed in your Midgarder clothes, you’re not.*  Siri began.  *We’re to be promoted to the Twelve today.  We need to dress our best – in Asgardian clothes.  We also need to bathe, and prepare ourselves.*

 

                Prepare ourselves how?  I asked.

 

                *It would look nice if we looked our best – if only for the vids and history books.  I mean we should braid our hair, pin some of it up, get dressed nicely, and look like an alpha female when we get our promotion.  If you want to get out of the fancy clothes and let your hair down after that, once the awards are given and we’re off stage, I’m fine with that.  Would you be okay with that?*

 

                “You’ve been waiting for this promotion for a long time, haven’t you?”

 

                *Literally for centuries.*

 

                I sighed.  It was only for a few hours.  “Okay, Siri – we’ll do it your way today.  Let’s make this your big day.”

 

                Siri’s voice softened, and I could almost hear her smile.  *Thank you, Jason.*

 

               

 

*              *              *

 

                 

                Two and a half hours later, and with the help of Jhaele, Grunne and Lashawna, Siri and I were cleansed, scented with amber perfume, our hair was elaborately braided, and we were dressed in both a set of valkyries secrets lingerie, and a very fancy Asgardian dress, with all sorts of fancy embellishments.  Lashawna apparently used to be a hairdresser on Midgard before she joined the Valkyries – and she and Kinde were happy to help arrange our hair...  I think they must have put at least sixty or so heavy gold, silver and amber beads on the ends of all those tiny braids...  They even adorned me with gold and jewels that Siri had earned before I met her – golden armbands, a circlet of gold studded with amber, and three finger rings. 

 

                To be honest, by the time we were done, I felt like a Viking princess – and had some seriously mixed feelings about it.  It felt awkward, which was a given – but I was also feeling Siri, who was so damn happy at the moment it was hard for me not to smile too.  This was her moment – her day – and I was glad I didn’t put up a fight against it.  She was on top of the world – and like it or not, her emotional torrent was dragging me along with her.

 

                I looked in the mirror Grunne was holding and gasped!  I was beautiful!  I looked every inch the Viking battle-leader (and maybe princess too) in my garb and all its lavish ornaments.  I knew I was pretty – but this was something else, and the worry I felt was swept away by a feeling of pride and satisfaction.  “Oh my gods!  You girls did an amazing job.  Siri is practically busting with joy!”

 

                Grunne smiled.  “Awesome.  Now we get to see our oldest sister – and our newest – achieve one of the highest ranks we can aspire to.  You’ll knock ‘em dead, Sigrid!  There’s just one more thing you need.”

 

                “What’s that, Grunne?” I asked.

 

                “Your – or I should say – Siri’s favourite weapon.  Her sword, Draugrfing – the Dragon-Fang.”

 

                *But that’s only for special... dammit, she’s right.  Please tell her thank you, Jason.*

 

                You were going to say it was only for special occasions, weren’t you? I laughed mentally.

 

                *Yes.* Siri grumped.  *That sword has a lot of old memories attached to it.  I haven’t used it in a long time.  It used to belong to an ex of mine – one famous enough for the Midgarders to write stories about him, way back in the really, really old days.  It’s killed more than a few dragons in the past, and it probably will again.*

 

                Anyone I’d have heard of?  Your ex, I mean.  I asked.

 

                *Probably not, unless you study ancient Norse eddas.  His name was Helgi.  It was a very long time ago.*

 

                I nodded, and turned to Grunne and Jhaele and Lashawna.  “I think it’s a good time to break it out of storage, and I think Siri does too – even if this might not be a special enough occasion for it.”  I twitted.

 

                Jhaele laughed.  “Siri... still holding out a torch for him?  Mortals don’t get reborn every day you know.”

 

                Siri’s feelings on the situation were obviously mixed, and I could tell there was a lot of history and emotion tied up in all this.  “Maybe not the best time to make jokes, Jhaele.  Siri’s a little touchy on the subject.”

 

                “Sorry, Siri.”  Jhaele replied.  “I sometimes forget to watch what I say.  I’m sorry, my friend.”

 

                *Apology accepted.*  Siri grumped in my mind.

 

                “It’s okay, Jhaele.  She knows you don’t mean anything mean-spirited by it.”  I said on Siri’s behalf. 

 

                Grunne returned, bearing an ancient Norse blade... a long, straight bladed sword made out of a golden metal – obviously not of earthly make – whose blade was stained a reddish brown down its length, and was etched by acid into beautiful patterns.  Its handle was wrapped in a bluish hide that felt firm in my grip, and as I took it from my friend Grunne, I could tell that this was a blade that would rarely, if ever, fail its wielder.

 

                I took the blade and gave it a gentle swing... I know I knew little about blades, but Siri’s weapon knowledge filled me – and I could tell it had amazing balance and heft.  It was almost literally perfect.  I sheathed it, and handed it back to Grunne, and as I stood there, Grunne and Lashawna girded my weapon onto me like medieval squires preparing their knight.  It felt like a moment, a ritual being completed, and it felt right.

 

                “Thank you, my friends.”  I said.  “Do you think I have some time to wander about, and take some pictures?  I have a promise I have to keep.”

 

                Lashawna nodded.  “As long as you take some time to eat first, you should.  When you’re done taking pictures, would you mind giving me your camera?  I can take a picture of you receiving your badge of office as you’re inducted into the Twelve, later today.”

 

                “That would be awesome!  Thank you!”

 

                “Who are the pictures for, may I ask?  A significant other?”  Lashawna asked.

 

                “My dad, actually.  When he heard I was going to Asgard, he told me ‘Pics or it didn’t happen, son.’ – so I’m getting him the pictures.”

 

                “I think it’s awesome your dad is sticking by you, even after your transformation.  I’m glad for you.”

 

                “Thanks, Lashawna.” I answered, touching her arm in support.  From her tone, she hadn’t been as lucky with her family, and it sounded like that might be a conversation for another time. 

 

                “You’re welcome.  Now we have a surprise for you.”  Lashawna began. 

 

                “Did somebody say ‘Surprise?!’” a pair of female voice called out – and two more Valkyries walked around the corner, pushing a wheeled cart covered with platters of food and drink.  I didn’t recognize them at first – but Siri quickly let me know they were Jana and Kira – the two lesser officers that accompanied her on her last ill-fated mission against the Krell.  They were the ones who got Siri’s troops – or most of them – to safety, while Siri held the line and covered their retreat.

 

                “Jana!  Kira!”  I called out – but before I could say or do anything else, they both wrapped me in a big hug.

 

                “Our condolences for Sheryl.”  Jana said.  “She will be missed.”

 

                “Aye.”  Kira replied.  “We’re glad you survived, you tough old bitch.”

 

                I could tell Siri was both amused by the compliment, and very grateful they were both well.  “Sigrid is pretty hard to kill.”  I said quietly.  “And she’s very glad you’re both alive and well.”

 

                “So are we – and glad to see she’s alive and well too.  What is your name, Youngling?”  Jana asked.

 

                “To be honest, I haven’t decided – but I have been thinking about it.  I was thinking I’d use Sannyr – for wisdom and cunning – amongst you all here, and maybe Dawn – for hope and bringing new life - amongst the people of Midgard.  Sannyr Dawn Stendahl.  I think it sounds good – but it’s going to take a while for me to get used to it.”

 

                “Indeed.  Sannyr is a cross-gender host, and is having some difficulty adapting.  They didn’t bond by choice, and she never wanted to be a woman.”  Jhaele revealed.  “Grunne and Lashawna are hoping to help her adjust – but she’s been having a rough time.”

 

                “Well, welcome, sister.”  Kira said.  “If there’s anything we can do, let us know.”

 

                “I will, thank you.”  I said.  “Now, why don’t we all eat before this food gets cold?”

 

                Everyone agreed – it was well past 9am by now, and we were all hungry.  So we sat – a bevy of Valkyries, sitting, eating, and just hanging out.  It was the weirdest – and yet most normal – thing I think I had done since getting to Asgard.  It was perfect.

 

 

 

*              *              *

 

 

                Wandering the streets of Asgard with Lashawna, taking pictures as we walked, was fun.  We didn’t talk about anything heavy – the dysphoria and all that stuff – she just showed me the sites, and I took probably a few gigabytes of pictures with my camera and tablet.  Sure, I probably looked like a rube from the sticks – but I didn’t care.  I had pictures of heaven and the people who lived there to give to my dad... That made it all worthwhile.  Gods, he wasn’t going to believe this!

 

                “Excited. Sannyr?”

 

                “Yes, and nervous too – but Siri is even more excited than I am.  I feel like I’m riding on her coattails and don’t deserve this honor.  She on the other hand keeps telling me to ‘not worry about it’ and so forth.  We should probably head back – it’s almost time isn’t it?”

 

                “Yes.  I’ll take you to the amphitheatre.  I hear the Aesir are going all out with this – It’s going to be broadcast all over the planet, and some of the Nine Realms as well.  It’s a big deal.”  Lashawna smiled to let me know it was going to be okay, and we walked over towards the massive stadium east of the Citadel.  As we arrived, there were dozens of functionaries buzzing around, making last minute preparations – and I could see Eniherjar and Valkyries alike streaming into the stadium from various lines and queues. 

 

                “Siri!  Where in Hel have you been, girl?”  a voice called out...   Rae stood nearby, looking nervous and flustered – for once – as she approached me, holding a tablet computer of some kind, and an earbud in one ear.  “Yeah, I’ve found her.  No, She’s fine – we just need to get her into makeup and get her up to speed.  No – Twenty minutes, Thirty minutes tops and we’ll be ready.  Yeah, it’s a go.”

 

                “Sorry, Siri – just dealing with the media people who are in a panic.  Where have you been?”

 

                “Out. About.  I don’t recall needing your permission.”  I said flatly.

 

                “Um... Yeah.”  She replied, surprised enough to stop completely.  “I guess you don’t.  Come on, we’ve got to get you ready for the presentation, and you don’t have much time.”  She motioned for me to follow her, and so I did – but she did look a little chastened. 

 

                *The bitch fucking deserves it for dosing us without telling us first.  I’m pissed at her right now.*

 

                I noticed.  I replied drolly.  I’m not too pleased with her at the moment either.

 

                The next twenty minutes were spent being prepped for the cameras – some makeup that wouldn’t make me look washed out, alongside a pep talk I really didn’t want to hear from Rae right now.  I tuned her out mostly, and concentrated on what was to come.   Soon, I was ushered out onto a podium – where both Odin and Freya, the Allfather and the Queen of the Valkyries, awaited, with their honor guard – the rest of the Twelve, save Brunhilde, who was still missing, captured by the Krell.

 

                I bowed low to Odin and Freya, and approached, and stood at Freya’s right hand, while Odin addressed the crowd, getting their attention by a powerful thump of his spear, Gungir.  As I took my place at Freya’s side, I looked out over the amphitheatre and gulped in fright.  Before me were at least twenty thousand Einherjar and Valkyries, mixed in with Asgardian citizens and possibly some of the Aesir as well.  Little drones – probably cameras for the video broadcast – flitted about trying to get the best vantage points.

 

                Odin’s voice rang out.  “People of Asgard!  I, Odin the Allfather come to you with dire tidings!  We have been at war with the Krell for a handful of years – bloody and violent years – which may soon come to an end.  The Krell have fielded a new weapon – one which some of you may have heard about through rumors or facts.  I tell you now that the rumors are true.  The Krell have devised a weapon that can tear a Symbiote from its Host.  This is dire news indeed – and we have already begun to plan and now we will act!”

 

                “This Valkyrie to our side is Battle-Leader Sigrid, although her new host is still a youngling between names.  She has faced this deadly Krell weapon, and lived to tell about it to our intelligence services – although her prior host, Sheryl, did not survive.  For bringing us this intelligence, and for guarding the lives of her comrades and the Einherjar under her command, I, Odin, King of Asgard, do raise Sigrid Battle-Leader and her host to the ranks of the Twelve!  War-Leader Sigrid, come forward.”

 

                I nodded gently, and stood before Odin, bowing my head slightly.  “My King.”

 

                “Are you prepared to take on the duties of one of the Twelve.  To protect and guard Asgard, its people, and the people of all the Nine Realms with your life, and everything you possess?”

 

                I stood firmly, and nodded.  “I am.”

 

                “Will you follow the lawful orders of myself or Freya, regardless of the cost to you personally, until the day you pass on into the great beyond, or until you are relieved of duty?”

 

                “I will.”

 

                Odin took a gold ring from his pouch, and placed it on my right hand.  “This is your insignia of rank, War-Leader, A copy of my own ring, Draupnir, created but yesterday. Wear it with pride.” 

 

                I nodded and looked at the ring... It was a heavy gold ring, beautiful beyond words, and covered in small gemstones.  Draupnir!  One of Odin’s personal relics, and I had a copy!  To say I was having a religious moment would be the biggest understatement in the history of the universe.

 

                “Now rise, War-Leader, and greet your army!”  Odin commanded, flourishing his spear Gungir towards the assembled crowd. 

 

                I stood  and stepped up to the podium, so I could see the assembled people of Asgard.  Many of the Einherjar and Valkyries down there knew Siri personally – and others by reputation only.  I froze.  I had no idea what to say.

 

                *May I, Sannyr?  This is a moment I’ve been waiting for, for a long time.* 

 

                Of course, Siri – go ahead.  I replied.  This is your moment.

 

                I felt Siri gently take control of my body, and step proudly – and strongly – up to the crowd.  “Warriors of Asgard!  Long have you known me – either in person, or through reputation.  I have fought alongside many of you – and seen many of you laid low, only to rise again, as is our way!  You are the greatest warriors in the universe, and I have been proud to fight beside you as a shield sister, and then again as a Battle Leader. Never have I seen greater courage, honor, and willingness to sacrifice. Now I am proud to lead you as a War Leader, and lead you I shall.  The Krell must suffer for this weapon of destruction they have created!  I have been given orders to lead a group of warriors to the Krell ship, where we will rescue our captured brethren and sistren, and put the Krell to the sword.  We’ll drown them in their own blood, and make them regret they ever stood against the Aesir!  And when the battle is over, and they lie dead or dying, my sisters in arms will send their souls to Hel!  Who’s with me?!”

 

                The cheers of twenty thousand voices washed over me – and then to my surprise they began to sing... a battle-chant of ancient days, sung for kings and great generals.  Twenty thousand voices chanted in unison, a chant of the old days, sung to great kings and generals after their victory.  It was awe inspiring, and Siri and I both felt moved in ways I didn’t know how to describe.  Part of it was a feeling of pride in our accomplishment, and of pride in our fellow warriors – but part of it was also an affirmation of our abilities, and the recognition of the centuries of work and dedication that Siri had devoted to her masters.  This was the culmination of her entire career, and she fucking owned it!

 

                The chant went on for some minutes, and as the last strains of the music died down, Siri addressed the crowd once more.  “Thank you for this great honor, Asgard.  I have but two things to say, in addition to my most humble thanks.  My youngling would like to make herself known.  She is Sannyr Dawn Stendahl, and welcomes all of you as her brothers and sisters in arms.  The second is that I will serve the Aesir to the best of my capability, until death or all sense leave me.  I will serve you as your War Leader.  I will make demands you cannot possibly achieve – and when you do achieve them, I will say with confidence, ‘I knew you could do it.’  I will ever strive to be worthy of your respect, and the great honor you have shown me today.  Thank you!”

 

                There were more cheers, and as they rose and fell amongst the crowd, Siri released control to me once more, and I stepped down from the podium. 

 

Freya approached me, and nodded in approval.  “Well said, Siri, Sannyr.  You did well.”

 

                “Thank you, my lady.”  I replied, bowing my head.

 

                “Come, my child.  We have a battle to plan.  Time grows short.”

 

                I nodded.  “Of course, my lady.”

 

                Freya turned and headed towards the Citadel – and I followed.  The battle for the Krell Weapon was about to begin.

 

               

 

 

 

60