Chapter 162 – Too Young for Wine
142 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 162 - Too Young for Wine

On the outskirts of Tye Ann Market, Char Char walked down the cobblestone road as she scanned the shopfronts along the street.

“Chen’s Import…” She muttered, frowning softly as she reached the end of the block without finding the shop she was searching for.

Last night, the White Maiden had led her to a storage room in the manor. The poisoned bottle of Scarlet Ambrosia that had supposedly been prepared to assassinate her grandfather had been hidden in a cupboard. The White Maiden gave Char Char specific instructions to deliver the bottle in the morning to a shop called Chen’s Import.

So here she was, at the location she had been told to go to, and yet she didn’t see any signs of a store with that name.

Char Char gave an aggravated tug on the leather strap of her satchel bag as she turned around and walked down the street again. The morning was young and people were busy opening their doors and setting up market stalls. The streets were full of hand carts as people brought in their wares to prepare for the day ahead.

As Char Char passed by a grocery storefront for the third time, her eyes landed on a familiar looking man leaning against a wall. He was lean and athletic, with a sharp nose and hawk-like eyes. He wore a dark green coat that shimmered softly whenever light hit it, giving off the impression of dappled shadows in a forest.

Char Char’s eyes lit up as a big smile grew on her face.

“Reid!” She called to him, bounding over.

The man’s head jerked toward her as she caught him completely unaware. His hand was already instinctively on the holster at his waist before he recognized Char Char and relaxed.

The Hunter still looked exactly the same as the last time Char Char had seen him, at the East Cato Clinic the morning after he had rescued her from the wolves. They had a short, but memorable conversation, and then he’d never shown up again.

“Oh? It’s you.” He said gruffly, though there was a hint of friendliness in his eyes.

“You haven’t been to the clinic for a while.” Char Char said, “Have you been busy hunting mons- I mean, busy with work?”

The Hunter carefully glanced around to see whether there was anyone near enough to overhear them. After confirming that they were relatively isolated he shrugged, “You’d think that I would be, but no. I’ve been trying to arrange a trip out of town.”

“Where are you going?” Char Char asked.

“Hmmm… I’m not sure.” Reid frowned. He rubbed his chin in thought before turning his attention to Char Char, “What are you up to today? Shopping?”

“No… I’m looking for a shop.” Char Char said, “It’s supposed to be on this street but I can’t find it. It’s called Chen’s Import.”

“Oh really?” Reid raised an eyebrow, “What business do you have there?”

“I have to drop something off there. Have you heard of the store?” Char Char brightened up, “Where is it?”

Reid paused, then casually pointed up. Above his head was an old, worn out sign that read ‘Chen’s Import’. There was a simple unadorned wooden door inset into the wall. It was unassuming, hardly what one would think was the entrance to a shop.

Still, Char Char felt a bit sheepish that they’d been standing and chatting right in front of the very store she’d been searching for this whole time. Seeing the widening grin on Reid’s face only made her feel more indignant.

“Thanks.” She said bluntly, pretending not to notice his amusement as she pushed on the door, which didn’t budge. She pushed again, with no luck.

“Try pulling.” Reid said helpfully.

Char Char yanked the door open with a huff as she entered the store without looking back at Reid. His laughter followed her into the shop as she entered with a scowl on her face.

A cool, dark room lit by a dusty lantern greeted her. The room was not like any shop she’d been in, but felt like it was built from the narrow space between the exterior walls of two buildings.

An old man sat at the back of the shop, reading a newspaper with his feet crossed and a sandal hanging from his big toe.

As Char Char entered his eyes narrowed in an unfriendly manner, “What do you want?”

“I’m here to drop something off.” Char Char declared, catching the man’s standoffish tone but not caring.

“We don’t take deliveries.” The man brushed her off, “Go away, we’re closing.”

The scowl remained on Char Char’s face as she pulled out the bottle of Scarlet Ambrosia from her bag, “This isn’t a delivery. I was specifically told to drop off this bottle at this shop.”

“By who?”

“The White Maiden.” Char Char announced.

The old man hesitated, his eyes widening as his mouth hung open, not knowing what to say. After a moment he seemed to come back to his senses and he rolled up the newspaper and planted his feet on the ground. “Bullshit. You think I’d believe that?”

“I know you do.” Char Char said piercingly, her eyes coldly surveying the old man.

“Well- if that’s the case- who are you dropping the bottle off for?”

“Ah- I’m not sure.” Char Char paused, “I was only told to bring it here.”

A triumphant glimmer sparked in the old man’s eyes as he shrugged, “Well, if you don’t know who you’re dropping this off for, how can I help you? We have many clients here-”

He paused mid-sentence as the door behind him creaked open. His ears perked up as the cocky look faded from his face. Someone behind the door mumbled something which Char Char couldn’t make out.

The old man sighed as he nodded to the unseen person behind the door. He looked at Char Char with a grumpy expression, “Never mind. You may enter. Go down the stairs, room number two.”

Char Char blinked as she held up the bottle, “Enter? I was only dropping this off.”

“Well, you can drop it off inside!”

~

Not long after Char Char found herself in a small but modestly decorated room. A short round table sat between two upholstered chairs, which were placed in front of a crackling fire place.

Not seeing anyone in the room Char Char quietly stepped up to the table and set down the bottle of wine.

The table was bare, except for a single sheath of paper upon which a symbol had been drawn with a brush. It was a symbol of five concentric circles, broken up with lines that connected the circles together. Char Char frowned as she focused on the symbol. There was something familiar about it, though she had never seen the symbol before.

“It feels like… The White Maiden.” Char Char mumbled as she reached down to the paper.

“That’s right.” The voice of a young boy said.

Char Char turned around at the sound of the voice, looking toward the doorway where a young boy with curly golden locks and green eyes was standing. He was wearing a tailored vest and suit and the golden chain of a pocket watch hung sharply out of his breast pocket.

“So, you’ve come here at her request.” Argus said, resting his eyes calmly on Char Char.

“Yes-“ Char Char said, slightly confused at the sight of the young boy, “Can I help you?”

“Shouldn’t I be asking you that?” The boy smirked as he gestured to the bottle, “You’re the one who has come to me.”

“Oh!” Char Char’s eyes lit up, as she came to an understanding. She shook her head, wagging her finger at Argus, “This wine isn’t for you. Are you lost? Do you need me to help you find your parents?”

The smirk was frozen on Argus’ face for a moment before he let out a small sigh, “I assure you, that wine is most certainly for me, if it was the White Maiden who instructed you to bring it here.”

“Aren’t you a bit too young to be drinking, anyway?”

Argus’ hands clenched as he the smile on his face grew even more strained, “Despite my appearance, Char Char, I assure you that I am quite capable of handling that wine, and the deadly poison inside it.”

Char Char’s eyebrows knit together as she tilted her head at Argus, “Wait, how did you know my name? And how do you know the wine is poisoned? I’m sure I didn’t mention that to anyone.”

“Indeed.” Argus gestured toward one of the chairs by the fireplace, “Please, have a seat.”

Char Char sat down with a confused expression on her face as Argus walked up to the table, picking the bottle up and holding it up to the light. He examined it leisurely, keenly aware of Char Char’s curious gaze on him.

“You have become quite a famous individual in the city recently.” Argus mused, “Most notably, you appear to be an individual that is close to the White Maiden.”

“…Who are you?” Char Char asked, finally starting to understand that this little boy was not quite as simple or young as his appearance suggested.

“My name is Argus.” He said, “I am a friend of the White Maiden, much like you are.”

“Friend? I don’t know if it can be called that…” Char Char said, “I’m more like her helper… I guess.”

“Right. I suppose that’s correct.” Argus chuckled to himself as he nodded, “And she’s asked you to bring me this bottle. I suppose to examine it, and possibly dispose of it.”

“I’m not sure. She didn’t tell me any details.” Char Char replied, “But how did you know it was poisoned- well, poisoned isn’t the right word…”

“I have my methods.” Argus replied enigmatically, “In any case, I will deal with the creature inside the bottle. In return, I have a request for you.”

“What is it?”

“Please inform the White Maiden of two things.” Argus said, “First, I will be leaving on a trip shortly. It should only take a few days, but I will not be reachable in that time. It is related to a matter that I am helping her with.”

“Okay.” Char Char said as she felt a sense of wonder grow inside her. From her intuition, she could tell that he was not lying. He really did know the White Maiden, and the thing he was helping her with was something significant.

“Second… Tell her to be careful.” Argus’ eyes grew serious as he looked at Char Char, “The Kismet Order of Fate is looking for her.”

11