272. Revitalizing Old Seeds
5.5k 35 168
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

C272

Year 266

The first of the comet fragments emerged from the void. We have been tracking it the moment it appeared within our vision, and we watched with great interest for the moment it entered our bubble of reality. 

The first few meteors popped out of the darkness, like a cluster of rocks that suddenly shed its cloak of invisibility. A quick scan revealed that we didn’t detect Multipus’s presence, but among the rocks was a slightly larger chunk of the Comet’s core, and that rock maintained a small bubble of reality. 

“Engage!” My mages ordered as the meteors entered our range. 

Mages, in our tree-based environmentally controlled battlesuits, attacked the rocks. They were much smaller, and it seemed the very act of travelling through the void had ‘eroded’ them one way or another. 

It was a good sign. It meant that without a strong bubble of reality, the rocks we expect to face should be smaller than the main Comet. 

The distant dark skies, not visible from Treehome, erupted in explosions of magic. With extremely powerful telescopes it would be possible to see some small sparks and explosions, but we destroyed the smaller remnant meteors. For the Core remnant, a few of our mages hopped onto the rock and tried to steer it. 

Core material was valuable. I have it in such little quantities that if there was a core chunk from the Demon’s Comet, we wanted to see whether we could process it, and learn from it.

But like Core Mana, it degrades quite quickly, especially when exposed to the light of the sun. Which was strange. 

One of the quirks of Core mana.

For now, with magical propulsion, we guided this remnant rock from the core of the demon’s comet, and directed it into a somewhat stable orbit. My Valthorn mages then quickly set up a basic manipulation system, just a few magical patterns and formations that created some propulsion to steer the core away from Treehome. This would allow it to maintain that stable orbit.

It wasn’t big, but we wanted to examine this core remnant in greater detail. 

I was fairly impressed that we now had our first space-based research station. 

My Valthorns’ first space-based research station consisted of portable living quarters from our almost century-long experience of building underground bunkers, and later on our developments on the Demon’s Comet, Lavaworld, Cometworld and our moon.

Travel to and from the research station in our world was a lot simpler, since we had access to magical portals and teleportation spells. We didn’t need rockets. 

Even deploying our new wood-based mechs involved teleportation to the closest undisturbed space. 

 

***

Stella watched as the first engagements with the meteor remnants proceeded as planned, and as my forces exert itself on Threeworld, on Mountainworld, on Dwarfworld, and now, even this world of Satrya.

“-And so begins the Imperial Era of Aeon.” Stella said as she arrived in Threeworld, and watched my Valthorns crawling all over the city of Maelga. 

“You speak of it as if it’s new.” I chuckled. 

“It’s just an observation, really.” My void domainholder watched. Within a year, we had to quell dissent in the human lands. 

In many ways, an era of great political change for the Threeworld’s humans. In normal times, the sandpeople and the centaurs would capitalize on this to wage an attack and try to claim some fringe territories from the human kingdoms.

But with the presence of my overwhelming beetles, they know better. The centaurs have seen my warriors in their lands, and know that we have far stronger warriors than them. 

Zhaanpu, of them all, seemed to have most to think about. The nature of our relationship was perhaps an ally of convenience, but my occupation of Maelga had made him feel a little- 

Queasy. 

As if he invited evil into his home. 

Perhaps it was a sensation to have power challenged.

I thought it might be a sense of vulnerability. 

Or perhaps it was how relatively easy it was to suppress the Crystal King, even with the Crystal King’s huge array of hero items. He didn’t manage to use them, and I also discovered they were primarily designed for use against heroes that turned rogue. 

The hero item’s effectiveness against Lumoof was suspect, and this was something that I saw Zhaanpu thinking about keenly. I noticed because he began asking Khefri for more general-purpose hero items, instead of human-killers. 

“So this Empire-” Stella looked at the human lands. “What do you have in mind?” 

“The war to free ourselves from the demons will not end. Not with how they bend the system to its will. We will need warriors. We will need equipment. The myriad worlds will supply them.” 

“I see.” Stella said. “It is like that.” 

Maelga’s priests of Maelas adapted surprisingly easily. I still wondered who Maelas was, whether Maelas corresponded to any of the religions of Treehome. Gaya, Neira, Hawa, Aiva. Those are the main four of Treehome. There were a few smaller ones, but their presence has been minor, and it’s hard to tell whether they are real gods, or just fake ones. 

Then on the Satrya, there’s Hawa’s gods. 

Then, on Delvegard, the dwarfworld, the dwarves, so far, didn’t seem to believe in any of the gods we know of. 

Looking at the trend, there may be more than ten gods, scattered over a vast area. The gods may be able to exert significant power over a set of Core worlds, but a much more reduced presence over the rest. 

“An Empire gearing up for a war, but I can’t help but think about the day after.”

“You make it sound like we will win.”

“We will.” Stella said, unsure of herself. “But I hope there is something for the people, after all of this. That- you know, we become a post-scarcity society, where everyone lives at peace, and can decide to live the lives they want.”

“That will happen after-”

“Will you let go?”

“Yes.” I said. I was sure I would. I’d be more than happy to shed the mantle. If life was no longer at risk of extinction. If forests and my trees are allowed to prosper, why do I want to meddle in all this shit?

It’s pointless. The squabbles of life against each other. 

Pointless. I don’t care for it. 

But I have to, because I need them to win this fight. 

Stella looked at the growing empire, and sighed. It was a mess. “You know, I’m torn whether that’s a good thing.”

***

Kei watched as the city of Freshka fell asleep that night. It was getting dark and the skies were clear. There were lights that littered the city, it is said that Freshka could be seen from miles away, the sprawling mess of Freshka’s city, at times, never seemed to sleep. 

The streets glowed from the colorful lights. Magical stones, not fully formed crystals, were somehow converted into magical lights through the inventive manufacturing processes of crafters and enchanters. 

The crystal shortfall due to the manufacturing of bombs significantly drained the traditional supply of crystal based lights, so cities such as Freshka and many others found alternatives. Some cities used a type of glowing bug that is specifically bred to provide lighting. Some cities found glowing trees and plants, which provided much needed lighting. 

Others reverted back to fires. With the huge variety of woods these days, there are a certain variety of slow-burning woods that give enough light. Some just embed a [light] spell into various types of magical material, to cause them to emit light. But this required a [mage] to constantly maintain lights throughout the city, instead of materials that could draw in ambient energy.

Freshka was still busy at night, but traffic was less heavy than daytime. 

The city’s resource demands were so high that logistics guilds resorted to moving goods at odd times to maximize efficiency. 

Kei dodged a convoy of beetles. The Valtrian Order leased cargo-ferry beetles to the various merchants guilds for commercial use, and they were a large source of income for the Order. Cheap, magically sustained, and hardy, they significantly reduced the need for horses for goods, but most kingdoms, especially those that fear Aeon’s retribution, still maintained their own stables and horses. 

Just in case. 

Dinner was over, and there were streets filled with bars and clubs. It was a scene that sometimes reminded her of home. People everywhere still have a need for entertainment, especially those of the flesh. Taverns were noisy at this time. 

Past the noisy commercial streets, she walked into one of the quietest, most privileged corners of Freshka. 

She arrived at her destination. It was a large mansion. Quiet. 

She knocked on the gate, the gate opened magically. 

“Lady Kei.” An Order guard stood at the guardhouse. There was also a maid waiting for her. “You arrived earlier than expected. She’ll take you in.” 

She was escorted into a quiet waiting room. Tea was served, along with some fruits. The walls had paintings. Of places. 

“Kei!” Lausanne walked into the room. “Thanks for dropping by.”

The crystal golem smiled at the master of the house. Laufen and Lausanne didn’t live together. Her mother lived a few doors down the street. 

They talked about Arlisa, how Arlisa’s still spending her time with adventurer stuff. About Lausanne’s son, Lauda. Both Arlisa and Lauda are more than 100 years old now, and both as half-elves, their lifespans were going to be shorter than Lausanne, unless they gained a lot of levels. Still, they should live until at least their 200-300s if all goes well, unlike Ardi who died so much younger. 

Despite being a quasi-royalty of Freshka, Lauda founded his own small magical entity that focused on research and ruins. He didn’t want to be too closely associated with the Order, even if they still received Order’s funding. Unlike his mother and grandmother, who were still Order members till this day. 

Partly because he saw how Arlisa went through a rebellious phase and essentially burned bridges with many of her old friends.  

“What about you- what’ve you been up to?” Kei asked.

“I visited the Northern Islands recently, you know, to meet Meela and Alexis-”

“Oh. Them. How are they?” Kei said with subtle contempt. She still struggled to fit them into the plans. Even Ken didn’t really want to include them, given their complicated past with Aeon. 

“They are fine. They took my advice to bunker up well. The North’s growing well, the cities feel a lot more prosperous since I last saw them a few years ago. The vassal and guild wars didn’t hurt them as badly as the rest.”

The vassal wars have mostly come to a standstill. The resource demands of the great Comet attack drained much of the fire out of the war, and now that it has ‘de-facto’ ended, both sides settled into a comfortable ceasefire and status quo that neither wanted to restart. There might be an incident or flare up that causes it to resurface, but for now, both sides are focused on licking their wounds and preparing for the eventual resumption of hostilities.

Crystals also began to trickle back into the market. 

Kei looked at Lausanne, and then dropped the question on her mind. “Lausanne. Would you be willing to take up arms again?”

She paused, realizing Kei’s question was serious. “-why?”

“-Your children are old now. You no longer have to care for them like you used to. You have free time, and now, more than ever, we need you to do what Jura once did. Be on the front lines once more, and be one of the Pillars of our world.”

Lausanne closed her eyes briefly. “Is this request from Patriarch Lumoof or Edna?”

“No. Me- and maybe Stella.” Kei answered. “Of all the elves from the first days of Freeka, only you remain. Well- and your mother, but she is not a warrior.”

“Roma’s around.”

Kei grinned. “You know it’s not the same. You are the first. The First true Valthorn.” 

“That should be Jura.”

“He’s dead.” Kei said. “I believe Aeon would still give you a [soul strengthening seed] if you ask for it. For decades you are at level 85, there’s probably some overflow experience in you that would-” 

Lausanne looked at her room. “You want me to abandon the comforts of my beautiful home, and head back out there in the wilderness, battling demons and monsters.”

“Yes. Because you are special, Lausanne. Till this day there is no one with your tier blessings. Sure, there are many, many others with the lesser variants of [Blessed by the Soul Tree], but knowing the system, there is an unspoken value as the first Blessed One of Aeon. You are the first, and that grants you a weight you can wield.”

Lausanne closed her eyes. “-tell me what’s really on your mind.”

Kei sipped her tea, and allowed the question to linger a bit before she spoke her mind. “Aeon needs moral guidance. There are the domain holders, but we know he needs more than that. He needs a bit of your presence. You have history and a past. A bond few others can claim to have.”

“A bond that has turned distant.”

“All I see are your internal struggles, Lausanne.” Kei answered. “You’re doing nothing with the rest of your life and you know it. You had just reason when you wanted to care for Lauda, but those days are over. Long over.” 

“What if I don’t live up to that? There are so many with far better innate talent. The domain holders are all incredible people in their own ways.”

“Is that what you fear, Lausanne? To try once more and find yourself not worthy?”

Lausanne closed her eyes. In many ways, it was a crisis of self confidence. She didn’t answer.

Kei continued. “You once said to Aeon that you wanted to be a hero. We now know that the path to power exists. Edna is close to that point. It is no longer an impossibility. Not like your earlier days. Aeon’s access to the other realms enables opportunities for growth we never had before. Lausanne, please. It’s time to give that old dream of yours another chance. Jura once said your dream was foolish. But even he didn’t see how things developed.”

Lausanne listened, her heart swirling. A part of her was convinced. “What’s- what’s your interest in this?”

The golem laughed. “Must everything be about interests?”

“-But you have an interest in this.”

“I’d like to see an end to this. Properly. I feel sorry for those like me, that we are on this treadmill of endless fighting, summoned to fight in worlds that don’t know us.”

“Lies.” Lausanne countered. “That’s bullshit.”

The golem smirked.

Kei closed her eyes, and then spilled the beans. 

“I- I look at Arlisa and you, and see different versions of wasted potential. Arlisa is one where she couldn’t take the expectations and crumbled. You could and some, but you chose to walk away. We’ve known each other for years, decades, centuries! Lausanne, ever since the day you trained us, protected us and got us to level, back when we first met in that dwarven city, in the Eastern Continent. That day, almost 130 years ago, in my eyes, you were always a hero. You can still be one. With Aeon’s resources, I have no doubt about it.”

Lausanne stared at Kei. 

Both of them looked at each other for what seemed like an eternity.

Eventually, Lausanne let out a long sigh. “I have- I have a lot of catching up to do.”

 

168