277. The Tree Reaches for the Heavens
8.5k 20 160
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

276.2

Year 269

Satrya

The world of Satrya thrummed with the power of the divine. To the others, they were faint strings that required some work to notice. For Lumoof, a man of faith, they shone in his eyes, like markings made of wispy lights. They were the signs of the presence of a god’s touch.

Divinity, at some point, was how the system flagged the presence of an administrator. 

Hawa’s power was a lot more noticeable in a world like this. The way it threaded in the land itself, and how the Core of the world was even intertwined with it.

This was Hawa’s world. Whether it was a ‘core’ world, that was not immediately clear to Lumoof, but it didn’t matter. 

And now, they would crash a meeting of the high priests.

The high priests, or Hawa’s Circle, as they were called, were having a secret meeting in a mountain far from society. It was one of those secret temples that only the High Priests knew about. 

For those who were not a man of God, it would be difficult to find it, with the illusion magics and even the presence of strong illusions. But for Lumoof, the presence of Hawa’s energies made the location as obvious as the suns, and even easier for him to trace it. All they needed to do was follow it, like the threads left behind by a hero as they ventured in the labyrinths. The Circle Priests were blessed by Hawa. 

They said Hawa rarely descended. 

The priest of Aeon knew that exceptions could be made, and the group followed them to the secret mountain temple. Lumoof wondered whether he’ll meet another god, just like how they met Aiva.

The place was hardly populated, though the presence of the Hawa Circle’s Divine Guards should be enough to deal with most enemies. They were decked in divine-touched equipment from head to toe. 

“What is it with priests and their secret enclaves?” Roon complained, as my domain holders stalked the priests. It wasn’t the first time they’ve seen secret enclaves. Even back on Treehome, all the temples had secret bases. 

“We shouldn’t be complaining.” Edna countered with a grin. “We have enough secret bases to rival them.”

Roon wanted to respond, but realized Edna was right. Valthorns and Valtrians really had a lot of secret bases all over the realms. It would be the pot calling the kettle black. 

They watched, and their own senses stretched. The secret enclave of the Hawa was protected by magic, but they were not prepared for trees. Our trees and grasses grew through the magical defenses easily, and through them, we knew what happened within.

***

The Circle conducted their secret meetings in an indoor, fairly covered garden with a large airwell. The reason it had an airwell was to allow for Hawa to ‘visit’, should the divine being decide to grace them with his presence. 

That was exceptionally rare, of course, but it is tradition, and so every generation of Hawa’s circle continued its meeting in this beautiful garden. The entire garden was the very picture of serenity, and as a place Hawa once visited, the touch of Hawa’s divinity could still be felt even in the ground and the rocks of the indoor garden’s walls and pillars. The plants here were radiant and magical, as they were touched by the gods. The flowers here are exceptionally beautiful and flowered without withering.

The single sun-beam through the air well was somehow at the exact level of strength, neither too harsh, nor too soft, and the small man-made pond shimmered. 

It was a place perfect for a tea party.

But instead, it was the venue of the priests’ secret meeting.

“The demon king will arrive in about two years. How many warriors have you shortlisted for Hawa’s consideration?” They were a council of equals, but it was often led by the oldest priest in the circle. 

Each of them started to name a number. Hawa’s champions were nominated candidates, chosen from the strongest warriors of the priests. The divine guards were often candidates, as the divine guards themselves, selected by each of the High Priests, were all incredible warriors. 

But Hawa often required warriors of a certain youth and strength, so older, more experienced guards were omitted.

They needed to constantly replenish the Divine Guards with talented young warriors, and each of the Relic cities created dedicated academies and institutions for such purposes, or co-opted existing military structures to function as the feeder institution. The Relic City of Museo had two feeder orders, the Order of Museo’s Knights, and the Museo High Guards. The Relic City of Olpash relied on the Olpash’s Hawa Templars to select it’s Divine Guards, and the Olpash’s Hawa Templars recruits from the General Army. 

All in, the Hawa’s Circle named about forty names, and by tradition, Hawa would select between five to fifteen to be blessed with the powers of [Hawa’s Champion], and each receive a special set of [Champion’s Armaments].

The forty, naturally, would have to face Hawa’s divine presence. Fainting before Hawa was naturally a rejection. 

After the shortlisting of names for the Hawa’s Champions, what followed was mundane administrative matters, such as the coming Hawa Celebrations, and other smaller conflicts. This was part and parcel of their yearly priestly affairs, and Lumoof inwardly chuckled at how familiar it all sounded.

The patriarchs and matriarchs of the Treeology had very similar meetings, with even similar topics. 

The Hawa’s circle spoke briefly about the demons, and from our understanding, they were not worried. The demons may win certain battles, but when the Divine-blessed take the field, victory was all but assured. The divine guards, armed with divine blessed weapons, could take on demon champions and the demon knights. The only reason why they were not deployed was because there were not many of them, and most of them were in the Relic Cities. 

According to Roon’s scouting reports, only 20% of the ‘divine-blessed’ guards were deployed outside of the territory of the Relic Cities. The rest of them didn’t go very far.

In other words, the suffering of the other cities can be partially attributed to the relic cities’ refusal to deploy more people outside. The relics were infinitely more important than the life of the cities. It was a case quite similar to how the Valthorns are mostly deployed on the Central continent and our allied lands. 

Eventually, after what felt like half a day, the meeting neared its end. The eldest of them said, and then “Anything else to discuss?”

“There’s the matter of the otherworlders.” The priestess of Olpash asked suddenly. “Visitors from the other world-” 

“Ah. They visited you too-” Another head priest frowned.

“What did you tell them?” 

“Of course I didn’t tell them anything. Who would believe liars like that?”

“But they are real. They really are from other worlds.” The priestess of Olpash defended.. 

“Do you truly believe there are people outside of Hawa’s greatness?” The other priest countered.

The priest of Museo sat quietly. “The power they display is real, at least.”

“It must be some kind of stolen relic.”

The priestess of Olpash spoke up. “I did not detect such things, and Hawa would have informed us-” 

Then the unexpected happened. The skies twisted, as if a portal opened in the skies above them. The once blue skies turned dark, and then, from the darkness, a golden beam of light that pierced through the swirling black clouds.

Here, in a land far from the rest of humanity, the skies parted. 

The Hawa’s Circle knew immediately. Their eyes widened in shock, their jaws slackened. The eldest of them immediately prostrated on the floor, and the rest of them followed. The Divine Guards quickly followed.

Hawa came. 

***

I felt it through Lumoof. The twisting of divine threads, the distortions of reality. The presence of divinity. Familiar, like Aiva, but different. Just slightly different. 

The entire world felt it too. 

The beam of golden light shone from the skies above, and in a sudden increase of intensity, it shot what seemed like a golden burst of light. Lumoof looked up, and with our senses, it was easy for us to pierce it. 

The light came through a divine portal. Hawa was somewhere else, and I believe we would be seeing a representative. 

Edna, Roon and Ezar looked at each other, and the newer domain holder trembled. Edna looked at Lumoof. 

“This is a familiar sensation.”

Lumoof nodded. “I suppose it knows we are here. We will be fine.”

***

Hawa appeared in the middle of the garden courtyard, in the form of a golden shadow. It was as if light itself took the shape of a warrior knight, with a golden tail on it’s helmet. The golden shadow glowed faintly, and it was possible to see the outline of swords and spears in its’ figure.

A million swords and a million spears. It was as if gazing into a world filled with fights and battle.

“Greetings, my faithful.”

The Hawa Circle knelt, and did not speak. Their heads were on the ground. Their arms were as well. They waited.

“You may speak.”

The eldest of them spoke. His forehead was on the stone floor. “Lord Hawa. It- it is not yet time for you to select your champions. Is there something else we can assist you with?”

“Ah, yes. The demons. They are coming soon. But I am not here for them.”

The group present didn’t dare assume anything. So the eldest asked. “What can we assist you with? Say the word and we will do it with all our might.”

The golden shadow shifted, and walked towards the eldest priest. “It is not something for my faithful to do. Instead, we have visitors. Eavesdroppers, it’s time you make yourself known.”

I didn’t know how, but the Golden Shadow looked at us. I instantly felt my [domain] spam me with notifications. This was Hawa’s realm, and that meant Hawa should monitor this world with far greater attention than the rest. 

In a way, this was expected. We saved time, and resources. A part of me was pleased that this went as how I thought it would, even if it did occur a little earlier than expected. 

Lumoof, Edna and my domainholders were nearby, but not so nearby. So it was a surprise when their own domains were hit with the flood of notification. Lumoof gulped, but nodded. 

“Looks like I must face the god.”

Edna gulped. “Let’s go together.” 

At the same time, the priests of Hawa were incredibly surprised, and looked around, wondering who their God referred to. “Lord Hawa, do we call the guards?”

The golden shadow laughed. “Guards? You face visitors who would soon be my peers. A thousand guards would not hurt them.”

Lumoof landed right in the garden, and the three domain holders landed behind him. The priests of Hawa all yelped. 

“You!” 

The golden shadow raised his hand. Hawa’s energies were so thick that it was oppressive “Be silent, my faithful. This is a conversation with those a few steps into the divine. Listen well, and learn.”

Lumoof clasped his hand in respect, Hawa’s energies bounced off his body. I felt a strong force push against my own, but it wasn’t enough to push me back.

“Lord Hawa, I am Lumoof, avatar of Aeon. I come representing Aeon, and we come to seek an audience. For guidance, and assistance.”

The golden shadow was faceless, and yet it felt like our eyes met.

“I shall now call upon Aeon.” Lumoof said, and instantly, the avatar form’s energies rippled outwards. The priests, already suppressed by Hawa’s powers, now felt my own power flooding the space. 

“A newly ascended one.” Hawa’s shadow spoke. “Greetings, Aeon.”

“Greetings, Hawa.” I answered in response, my voice spoken through Lumoof. The priests around us trembled. The divine guards froze in their place. “We’ve been traveling the other worlds, in search of the old gods.”

“I see. Have you met my peers?”

“I have only spoken to Aiva.”

“Ah. The one of the Great Lakes. How is he?” 

“Drifting far away.”

“We all are.” Hawa said with what felt like a sigh. “I felt your request to meet through my priests, and decided to cut the fats. Let us get to it. What do you wish to tell me.”

“We’ve found the demon sun, and there is a barrier that stops us from getting close. We ask for your assistance to help us.” 

Hawa looked at one of his priests. His eyes were like a beam of light, and it shone on the priest, marking him. “Priest Salazar. Present yourself before Aeon. He will show you what he has seen.”

Salazar was the eldest one of the priests, and he trembled. He walked over to Lumoof, and knelt before him. “I am at your disposal.”

Through Lumoof, I touched his head. In an instant, through my [Dream Academy], I injected Salazar with our memories of the Sun-Rings, the Demon Sun, the Black Blob, and our detected divine energies within the Demon Sun.

Salazar’s widened, as if he had gone insane. But he was brought back to the world when Hawa spoke. “Now come to me.” 

Salazar walked over as if he was a puppet, and the Golden Shadow touched his head. A ball of light emerged from his forehead, and was instantly absorbed by Hawa’s Shadow.

“Such memories should not be seen by mortals. My apologies, Priest Salazar. It is best if my people do not see the great darkness that festers outside of my worlds.”

We waited, as the golden shadow seemed to study the memories.

“This Sun-Ring is unfortunately too far from me. I am centered around my core worlds, my existence weighed around my believers.”

“I can bridge worlds with my clones. I can send your champions there.” I countered.

“Access does not change my weighted core, and my resources are limited.”

“Then can you help us, summon heroes and equip my men with divine equipment? Or fight with us.”

“My champions pale before the foul spawn of the corrupted cores. What they send to invade our worlds are not what they have to defend their own.” The golden shadow said. “This foe of ours fought us since the earliest days of the realms, and even now it holds one of my peers as its prisoner. It defeats us by attrition over the eons, flooding us with its foul spawn, wearing us down over the millennia, until we are unable to bless enough champions to resist. If you come to request for me to fight with you, I cannot do so. I am weakened by distance from my core worlds.”

I offered an alternative. “If you are too distant, surely there will be some others that are closer. If you know where they are, I will seek them out.”

“I do not, and I suspect my peers would be the same. We cannot take the field with you. If we could, we would have done so long ago. But that does not mean I cannot help.”

I suspected a task was coming.

“You were offered the pact.”

“Yes.”

“Then you know that each of us has a duty to protect the peripheral worlds. These distant worlds where we summon the raw souls from the Immagical worlds, to serve as our champions.”

The source worlds. Earth.

“Distance. It is a strange thing. We have a duty to them, and yet, each of these worlds consume so much of our energy. So much that I have little to spare for other matters. I hear your request, Aeon, and I am willing to aid you. I will forge a weapon powerful enough to shatter the Sun-Ring’s barrier, but to do so, I will need to reduce my energy expenditure.”

If the gods constantly spent their faith points protecting the far away worlds, they likely didn’t have much left. However, if the far away worlds could be ‘saved’ without requiring the use of heroes, the gods would be able to have a ‘faith point surplus’, and could do something with it.

“Help me protect the peripheral worlds. You will have to defeat about fifteen of them, and hold it for some time. I will transmit their locations, through Salazar. These are the worlds that drained most of my energies. Freeing them will give me the capacity I need to build something for you.”

Fifteen worlds. 

“But, exercise caution. Even if you shattered the Sun-rings, that same power isn’t enough to break through the demon’s foul prison. To take the battle to the demon’s sun, you will need more than just my power. Seek out the other gods, and convince them to lend you their power. I will lend you mine, when the time comes. Perhaps together, we could remove this foul sun, and free my peer from its grasp.”

“Do you know who is trapped within?” I asked.

Hawa paused, as if examining my memory. “I do not know for sure, but I suspect it is one of the ancient steel worlds, the engineer, Eras. That is Eras’s true body, and though it is captured, and it’s energies used by the demons, it is not yet dead.”

Not yet dead.

“So long as his corpse remains, Eras can regain his presence. He still has believers in multiple worlds.”

Through Salazar, I received bright locations located in the void sea. These were worlds under Hawa rule, but we're so far away from them.

“What are the demons?” I asked.

“I do not know. They fought me ever since the day I gained awareness in this world. Perhaps the ancient one, Gaya, or the First of the Suns, Shura, would know. Once you complete your task, you can return here, and I will see you then.”

“You can’t help me speak to the other gods?”

“I do not know where they are, we agreed not to pry into each other’s affairs eons ago. We agreed to leave each other’s Core and Outer Core worlds alone. The war amongst the stars did no one any favors.”

I didn’t know what to say to that. Instead, I looked around at the trembling priests and priestesses. “And yet, you have believers even in my world.”

The golden shadow paused, and as if a realization dawned on him, spoke. “Ah! Your world is a peripheral world too. I am amused that your world spawns something like yourself. In many ways, this audience is indirectly the fruit of your efforts. Did they send an invasive world your way?”

He must be referring to the comet. “Yes.”

“I see.” 

The golden shadow glanced at the priests and the divine guards. Then back at the papers listing the champion candidates.

“Actually, let us not bless the champions. I wish to see your powers in battle.” 

“My powers are fairly limited.” I frowned. I did feel a little set up. “And we fight unfairly.” 

“A victory is a victory, regardless of the means. The demon’s spawn will descend in two years. Help my priests with the demon spawn, and I will redirect my resources where it can help you.”

I looked at my forces. Edna shrugged. Roon and Ezar looked uncomfortable in the presence of a god.

But a demon king is a demon king. Valuable experience to be gained. I wondered whether this is a trap to lure my domain holders here. But somehow, I didn’t feel that Hawa needed to trap me. 

I recalled that they fought us long ago. “Why did you order your faithful to wage a crusade against us?”

Hawa paused. “I did?” 

It took a second before the Golden Shadow realized what I meant. 

“Then I must apologize. Peripheral worlds are always under attack, and I can’t spare the energy to scry so far away, and study in great detail.”

A war. 

So many deaths.

And all I got was an apology.

I couldn’t help but feel that the gods are callous. But then again, so am I. 

If I am in that same situation, would I have done things differently, given the limited information? What if it really was an evil force, and I chose to do nothing?

Actually, that’s what I did all the time. I usually chose to do nothing until I am sure. 

But some gods think differently. 

“We will meet again, Aeon. Till then, my priests will extend their warmest welcome for our distinguished guests from the other worlds.”

Hawa vanished.

And the world could breathe once again. 

Lumoof looked at his fellow people of faith. 

They were of a different religion, but people of faith just the same. “Looks like we’ll have to help you prepare for a demon king.”

Hi there, Book 4, of Tree of Aeons, is now on Amazon. Please check it out! 

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0CJG2FT4Q

81mrC572SWL._SY466_.jpg

 

 

 

160