Chapter 1: The Competition
112 4 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the realm of Asfaleia, there exists a common misunderstanding about the divine:

One might be told by a priest that ‘the Goddess’s plans are forged with time’, else perhaps ‘the promises of a god are fulfilled for one’s descendants’. It is generally held that the gods are ignorant to the passage of time. This is not true- my experience of time is equivalent to that of the humans of my world. 

What IS true is just how convenient that misunderstanding is for one in my position. Unfortunately the opposite concern is equally apparent and thus time spent on one task means time not spent watching over my hero or believers. Naturally, I find myself rather lacking in free time.

“Do rub harder; my feet ache something rotten from all that standing as if I were a common man in the presence of a king. I shall be sure to give that condescending Earth god a taste of his own… you know what? Maybe I’ll just destroy him.”

I am exhausted. I lay upon a bed of tree roots I created just now, eating grapes as my attendant fauns pamper me. Truly a moment of deserved relaxation.

While Jeff has been doing whatever the hell he wants in my little world, I haven’t had the time to check up on him. Instead I have spent the last week petitioning the ‘Oh So Great and Mighty’ god of Earth for a do-over. 

Reading the memories of Jeff proved useless; he had no idea what happened to my chosen Hero and instead found my summoning spell just sitting there. He stepped onto it thinking it was some kind of street art.

The Earth god proved more helpful- though getting even the tiniest bit of information out of him had me begging for his kindness like a failed street whore. It turns out my summoning failed because my hero was already summoned… by my own child to serve as the instrument of her part in our game. The nerve!

Now this human I tirelessly vetted for competency, is to be this world’s Demon King. Fated to compete with the hero known only as Jeff. Brilliant.

~~~

“Oh great hero Jeff, I shall be your sword!”

Not what I expected to hear immediately upon checking in. I’d be impressed if he hadn’t found himself being propositioned by a 6 year old girl in rags.

“Um… uh… sure. I’ll look after you, I promise.”

How did he end up with an ally already when he has no charisma? I should probably check what his skills look like. I granted my blessing, but never bothered to check them before contacting the Earth god. Okay, let me see…

===

Jeff, Human Male, Age 16.

Class Titles: 

  • Hero
  • Simp

Stat Modifiers:

  • Strength: +250%
  • Agility: +250%
  • Luck: +500%
  • Charisma: +500%
  • Intelligence: +0%

Skills: 

  • Swordsmanship Lv.1
  • Charm Lv.1

Extra:

Pandora’s Blessing: 

  • Base Stat Modifiers
  • Improved Fateful Encounter rate
  • Hero Class Type

==

Simp. He has the Title of Simp. I never thought it possible, but I suppose I have to give the Earth God my respect for that one.

In any case, the ‘Charm’ skill and charisma modifier explain how he made an ally. Maybe this won’t be as terrible as I expected? I suppose I can only be proud of myself for such a powerful blessing.

Viva la me!

Ah, seems Jeff went ahead and registered this dirt-caked orphan to his party system. Will take a look at her while I’m here. Maybe she’ll be useful somehow.

==

Ambrosine, Human Female, Age 6

Class Titles:

  • Orphan
  • Street Urchin

Stat Modifiers:

  • None

Skills:

  • Charm Lv.5 [Max]

==

I didn’t exactly expect this emaciated child to be anything special, but I am quite amazed here; not because her Charm skill is high, as that’s pretty common for women in her position. No, what has me lost for words is that Jeff was clearly the one recruited here. Fascinating. 

In any case, she seems like she can take care of herself, so I suppose I’ll leave her to do as she pleases for the time being. I can only imagine having a streetwise ally will be a positive influence on Jeff.

Time to do something else. Sorry, Jeff, but I hate your face.

~~~

I have temporarily descended in spirit upon one of my devout faithful. A high priestess in the capital city of the Patria Eda continent. This is the land closest to the planned origin for the new Demon King, as per the game rules. The continent of Kolasi will become the Demon realm and serve as my child’s political centre and war potential. 

Within the next few years, the world shall be shaken to its core as an entire generation of Kolasian children become a new species of meta human. The Demon race.

You might expect me to hold it against my daughter that she would lay in wait to claim the hero I chose, but frankly I am proud of her. The rules I agreed to were lacking and she took advantage of that. What nerve; what cunning!

How cute my divine spawn is!

The new Demon King’s name - at least as a human - was Devlin Kin. In hindsight, perhaps it only makes sense for him to play this role, but that’s beside the point. This youth of 23 years is a canny, creative human. A socially fulfilled university student; headed for a promising career as a concept artist, no doubt.

Maybe if I wish to scout him ahead of time, I should just look for the beginnings of an artistic renaissance? 

“Your Divine Grace, is somewhat amiss?” I am asked by a Cardinal, interrupting my tangents. Perhaps I should punish him… but no, it would not be worth the simpering apologies.

“Naught, my child. I simply find myself in thought.”

“Yes, your grace. If I might be so bold, I believe it only natural that the rise of a Demon King would bring you concern. We, your ever faithful, shall scour the lands for this monster, in your glorious name.”

I want to laugh at the pompous way he is stating his willingness to murder a man he never met; the religious are such disgusting beings, and yet I rely on them to live. Perhaps this is how humans see the animals that maintain their own necessary ecosystem?

Choosing to ignore his words, I  instead take in the sights around me once again. I have done so repeatedly since arrival; I’m sorry, my darling monsters, but how many people could this temple have fed? What use is it for I? I have a divine realm at my disposal and frankly this temple is of no appeal to me beyond that of the open fields.

Incredible, just incredible… such greed. Not that I can blame them, given their time is finite. It is truly their nature and right to seek betterment for their lives, no matter the expense to those they feel nothing for. 

Still funny.

I turn back to the Priest, make the most radiant fake smile I can muster, then I vacate the priestess’s body. I’m certain she will be treated with utmost respect for a few weeks... then be used as a political tool for the few years preceding the demon king’s ascension. 

Best of luck my dear. You’ll be needing it where I’m having them send you.

0