3.04 – A new arsenal
1.4k 29 71
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
For 60,000 views and 600 readers, here's a bonus! *hugs* =^.^=

Aurora spoke, smiling a bit more, “Of course. It’s nice to have you on board with us, Agent.” She dipped into her bosom pocket and slid out her communicator. She activated it and displayed her identification by default, switched the pages and displayed her contact number.  She was glad that this man agreed with her stance on the issue of how to handle the Xevolve victims.  It wasn’t just because Sarah was involved, she’d have come to that conclusion regardless of bias.

 

“So what comes next?” she asked.

 

Agent Carlisle considered and said deliberately, “Well, now I think we should show her the new metahuman cells first. One of several donations ARISE has provided to support the effort here.  As part of moving an ARISE office into town, I myself spent these discretionary funds, therefore you’re sporting a few containment cells where metahumans can be held until they can be transported to the Tartarus facility.” He gestured, waiting for adulation.

 

They looked at him blankly.

 

Chet’s lips twisted faintly.  Kirby finally contributed to the discussion, “Yeah, thanks to some federal dollars, we have some new Penance Co. Metachuman capture and containment gear,” Detective Kirby hopped out from his chair and moved to the door, opening it for the other two.  He motioned for them to follow, and directed them along the hallways towards another room.

 

Chet scowled faintly at having his thunder stolen slightly.

 

Kirby spoke as they came to a stop, “The stuff is here, Aurora, and in a couple of the other precincts. Let me show you what we’ve been granted to support the battle against meta activities.”

 

“Alright,” Aurora said, smiling curiously.  Anything that would help contain them for even a short time would be helpful.  San Isidro might be a little behind many of the other major cities in the nation despite the high crime rate.  It was just that the S-rank threat known as Gravitas had chosen to attack San Isidro, and this was the last major superhuman incident.

 

Chet stepped forward after studying Aurora’s questioning expression, taking the helm again. “Unfortunately,” he said, “legally a police organization that does not have a Code: Blue section cannot legally use or house weaponry designed to defeat metahumans.”

 

Kirby took over nodding, “It's a vestige from decades ago back when we stocked paramilitary weapons just to damage or contain a few of the metas that appeared, not that it really seems much use.  SWAT gear is basically what we have to bring metahumans down.  We won’t have any of the fancy stuff like they have up in Seaside.” His tone was complaining.

 

He went on, “So all we are able to have on-site is containment.  Penance Co. makes some of the best gear worldwide, despite the problems implicit.”

 

Aurora considered, having followed a number of super-topics discussions and one of the most prominent was a debate concerning Penance Co.  It was a private corporation which specialized in metahuman containment, control and funded numerous projects for eliminating meta powers. Its founder was a fundamentalist former pastor who believed that metahumans were an affront to God’s divine plan.  In addition, Penance Co. gear was rumored to be dangerous, and was thoroughly designed to be uncomfortable.

 

Kirby gestured, leading them onwards through a doorway and down some stairs to the basement where there were a number of holding cells.  The criminals there looked on, hooting and whistling at Aurora as they walked past.

 

Aurora ignored them, cringing inwardly.  It was difficult not to glance at them.  Thinking hard about the equipment they wanted to show her helped her keep her cool.  She thought more about the ethical issues concerning it.  She did not at all agree with their philosophies.  The owner was clearly anti-meta sending a message that attempted to generate and promote negative sentiments. The gear came in hand with containing these villains, but it was inhuman how the equipment harmed the subject that was contained.  Considering everything, it was an asset and yet there were problems, and using these on the Padua kids exposed to Xevolve was a horrible mistake.

 

“I’ve been thinking,” Aurora spoke up when they cleared the occupied cells, “about starting a relationship with the affected kids to keep them from falling into disgrace.  They know of me, but I feel that if they were familiar with me personally, it might be easier to talk them down if they went off the proverbial cliff.”  She walked with light steps.  She was certainly aware of where they were and who were potentially within earshot.

 

Agent Carlisle turned as they reached the end of the row and Detective Kirby turned with him.  Chet fielded her speculation, “That might be a problem, due to privacy rights. I don’t want any of us to be exposed to an issue where information is given out to a civilian …”

 

Detective Kirby looked at him and shrugged.  “She was there. I imagine her powers give her total recall or something.”

 

 Carlisle shook his head and rubbed his neck. “That’s dangerous, Detective, but I don’t hear a thing.” He shrugged back. “Anyway, here are the two cells he’s leading us to. The ones we retrofitted.  Hopefully we will never need to put them to use.” He spread his arms to either side flamboyantly.  “I’ve already given basic instruction to Detective Kirby on their use.”

 

Aurora looked into one and then the other. They were equipped the same way.  There was a bench built into the floor, and in the wall looked like something like a usb plug, though it certainly couldn’t be that.

 

“What’s with the plugs? Are we letting criminals have cell phones? Is that the improvement you were talking about?” She gave them a quizzical look. “The cells don’t otherwise look very different from the others.”

 

“Bravo! Excellent insight.” Chet clapped slowly. “You indeed noticed the only significant change.  What are those strange plugs?  I will tell you.  Those are the plugs for the inhibitor collars,” he said.

 

Aurora recognized them. Certainly they were not usb ports, the shapes were actually hexagonal and looked kind of like a hex nut, high and wide.  They’d been talked about once on the news.  Supposedly these collars suppressed the meta genes, and they did a good job of it, however there was a scandal a few years ago when a villain lapsed into a coma while wearing one during transport.

 

Carlisle continued, “They only have a limited power supply on their own of course, two to four hours at the outside. In the cell, they would be plugged into the wall and to keep the villain from unplugging it, they would be held in restraints.  The field generators didn’t have enough room inside the walls of these cells, so this is our workaround solution.”

 

Kirby frowned. “Except you aren't’ supposed to keep prisoners restrained unless they pose a clear threat.”

 

Chet frowned. “I’m not going to debate the legality of the issue with you, Detective, but while I agree with you in principal, this is all that could be done with this existing structure.”

 

Aurora nodded. “It makes sense, I suppose.  Though I think a meta with violent tendencies would be a clear and present threat that needed suppression, but I don’t like the reputation of the company nor the devices.  It’s an option, and I hope it never is used.” She sighed.

 

 

Chet smiled slightly. “Do you want to test their efficiency? It might put your mind at ease.”

 

 

“I’m sure that’s not necessary.” Detective Kirby shrugged. “But if you do, I’ll dig out the stuff.” He was skeptical.

 

 

Aurora shook her head definitively.  “No, that’s alright. I’m not into that kind of kinky stuff.” she said with a slight joking smile.  The truth was she did not want to have anything to do with those restraints personally.  If she went into a coma the moment it activated, that would be the end of things for her.  This was such a bad idea.

 

 

“Ah,” Chet said, blushing and scratching his head. “... I meant this in a professional capacity, only to give you peace of mind.  It wouldn’t hurt to see it in action, however.  So that was certainly not my intention.”

 

 

Kirby suppressed a laugh and patted him on the back. “All right, Agent Carlisle, I think we’re all set then, I don’t want to hold you up.”

 

 

Chet frowned slightly and spoke, “That’s fine, then. Let me just test this.” He pulled out his cell phone and dialed her card. It buzzed as expected.  “Ah, good. My fingers put the right numbers in.  All is well.  Plenty of stuff to do now. The office should be up and running in under a week.  The surveillance may take a little longer. I’ll be in touch if there’s anything else we need to talk about.”

 

 

Aurora tilted her head. “Good. Nice meeting you, Chet.” She smiled faintly, though she wanted to call him Agent Carlisle herself again.  “If that’s all here, let’s work our way back through the whistles and catcalls.” She looked to Kirby. “Was there anything else on your side of things you wanted to say, Detective Kirby? He did most of all the talking.”

 

 

“I’ve got nothing else for you right now.” Kirby smiled.  “Come on, let me walk you back past those idiots,” he said, gesturing for her to come with him.  As the three walked, the criminals catcalled again.  Kirby grumbled at them this time. “All right, you idiots! Keep cool or she’s going to pull you through the bars, got it? Shut up!”

 

 

They mostly ignored his threat, jeering.  Chet patted her on the back. “Don’t worry about this sort of thing. A lot of superheroines go through this especially I hear.  When they visit actual prisons and not simply jail holding cells.  Don’t let it demoralize you.”

 

 

She looked at him with a laugh.  “Demoralize me? Some of the things they’re saying is crude, cringey and downright awful, but it just makes me laugh.  The interest is somewhat flattering, though I’m not interested.  It’s best to just tune it out even if it’s annoying.”

 

 

When they reached the top of the stairs, Agent Carlisle nodded to Aurora.  “Well, rest assured, it has everything to do with them knowing they won’t be seeing a woman as beautiful as you for months, if not years.”  He essayed a shy small smile and turned.  “All right, this is where our paths part. Take care of yourself. If you need ARISE support, you have my number.”  He walked off with his hand raised high above.

 

 

As Chet walked off, Detective Kirby walked out from the holding area as well after having set them down, or rather having attempted. He scratched his head. “Ha, he seems to have a crush. Well, see what I mean? What with his kata thing.  I made a few calls, and he’s definitely legit, but despite what he said, I get the feeling he’s still pretty new.  What about you, you get an OK vibe from him?’

 

 

Aurora chewed a nail thoughtfully, tilting her head. “All in all, he’s alright. He made the right calls where the kids are concerned.  That says a lot about him alone. I can’t speak for any ulterior motives he may have, particularly the meaning of his wanting to test the gear on me.  I rather think it would have been embarrassing if I agreed for everyone concerned.  I can’t really say much for his character, so I don’t know if he would take advantage.”

 

 

“He does seem new, although he’s well informed.  Who else except a green sproutling would be assigned to this city, where it hasn’t been especially necessary until now?” Aurora chuckled. “You’d probably know better about this kind of thing than I would ever.  I do get the feeling he could hold his own in a fight too. I doubt those weapons were for show.  But Midnight Avenger probably could take him in a martial-arts matchup.” She grinned at the thought of them sparring.  It wouldn’t go well for Chet, likely.

 

 

Kirby barked a laugh. “Yeah, well, I tend to put my money on the guy holding a sword in a fight.  That itself is pretty strange, I think. Plus you should see his car. It’s… impressive.  I’m no gear head, but it’s a classic sports car, so he either is pretty well off or maintains it well.”

 

 

Detective Kirby stifled a yawn. “Do you need food for anything? It’s about time we order out. Probably Chinese today, if you’d care for some.”

 

 

Aurora grinned, tempted by the offer. Very tempted.  Yummy… Chinese! Her family had gotten it now and again, though Goonie had insisted on full vegetarian dishes for their health. Once in a while she permitted a meat-laden dish for her kids. “I’d love to, but I’d best head off home for the moment.”  Home was a little more dull than it used to be.  Goonie worked, so the house was empty most days.  She was looking forward to Mom’s company at least, though.  She loved her dearly even though the homelife was extremely stable and predictable, she had plenty of excitement outside, so that did present her a soothing atmosphere.

 

 

“I’m sure he’ll make sure I see his car.” Aurora chuckled.  “See you for now, though.” She waved and headed all the way upstairs back to the roof where she took off, feeling happier.  Going into buildings triggered the mild claustrophobia she had, but she didn’t bow down to it.  Rather, she celebrated when she could rocket high above the world where there was nothing but delightful open space.

 

 

She was happier than ever, though the novelty had worn off a bit, but nothing could dampen her joy.  Who she was, was a pure expression of freedom.  More importantly than being happy, the increased confidence she’d found was helping to mold her as an upstanding and upcoming heroine.  Experience and time changes people, and she was aware that she wouldn’t always be a child.  Facing the hard choices and the evil of the world had a way of maturing a person gradually.  Even so, she wanted to hold onto her youth and the joy of spreading her wings and spinning through the air.

 

 

She flitted upwards and thought about what Kirby had said about the reporters.  Perhaps it was time to make a move in that direction.  She played among the buildings growing up amidst the streetways with their grand gothic and victorian designs, heading vaguely in the direction of her home.  She could go there, except perhaps seeking out one of the reporter types would be more fun.  But where to look?  Should she try a public directory? Or maybe the internet could be of use when she got home. Oh sure, she could Google on her communicator, but nothing beats a full keyboard when there’s something important to do.  Maybe a discrete message or two placed carefully on Reddit or Twitter would get the message across.  Aurora smiled.

71