4.12 – Bruised feelings
871 27 52
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Leona smiled with all her heart.

 

Even without speaking with Ruffino, she had a way of getting on her nerves. But, on the upside, despite what the inspector said of her, the gossip about their guardian angel in both cities seemed to be mostly positive.  It was wonderful that people saw her as the hero she always dreamed she could be.

 

Pocketing her phone, she stretched and basked in the morning sun, but her reverie was interrupted by the object of her waiting’s materialization. The sunlight glimmered around the form of Sarah as though it favored her for a split second.  Leona smiled, wondering about how her friends were among the first to appear at the gate this morning.  

 

They spotted Leona at once and rushed over to her, who raced to meet them halfway and form a big huggle puddle.  Sarah beamed warmly and when Derrick and Maria politely stepped away from the group hug, Sarah took a few extra moments to squeeze her girlfriend.

 

Their embrace continued as people walked past to the front doors of the school and entered, navigating through the metal detectors.

 

“How are you feeling, Leona?” Maria was the first to break the silence of the four.

 

Leona eyed Maria with a smile.  Come to think of it, Leona was feeling a little tired around the edges.  Was it obvious that she’d been through some trials? She reassured her goth-like friend with a light and perky tone, “I’m alright. I didn’t sleep as well as I’d have liked last night, but everything’s fine.” Leona flashed Maria a grin.

 

“Were you worried that one of those giant robots would stomp on your house?” Derrick asked, looking far too happy than his words should have allowed.  He was nerdgasming, of course.  Leona understood this state well. Under other circumstances, she’d probably have been geeking about it too.

 

“What kind of a nerdy idiot pulled it off? Was it some kind of disgruntled and psycho toy-maker who made those strange robots?” Maria asked, rolling her eyes. “They look like something my Grandpa used to play with. His old tin figure was some kind of an antique.”

 

“That would make some sense. They’re definitely from a different time.” Leona blinked and laughed.  Apparently, not many people agreed with Mr. Mechanical about how robots should look, but seventy years ago, they might have had a different opinion. It was hard to take those robots seriously, but then if one demolished your building, that pretty much settled things.

 

“I wouldn’t know.” Leona laughed lamely. “I guess maybe it was some Jurassic age weirdo.”

 

“But, they were SO COOL!” Derrick laughed and jumped for joy.

 

Sweat drops. “Uh… they kinda wrecked up a lot of the downtown buildings, didn’t they?” Sarah asked, tilting her head. “Is that cool?”

 

Derrick stopped and thought about it. “N-no… it’s not… Only a little. Anyway, Angel’s fight was really amazing, and that’s what I think about.  She demolished those things like they were made from tin foil! I saw some of the videos, not that there are many on the net.  There weren’t a lot of people crazy enough to stick around and get stepped on.”

 

“I wouldn’t.” Maria’s lips twisted. “It’s amazing that a few people had the nerve, but why did they bother? To look good? Anyway, if they’re so fearless, they really should think about doing what she does someday.”

 

“It’s not that easy to get into the business, you know!” Leona interjected. “Oh sure, a guy with a technology fetish can break into the business, but I mean, according to the comics, it’s super dangerous.  I wouldn’t think that…” Leona trailed off. She’d come on a bit too fiercely. She blushed, ending what she was saying with that lame excuse.

 

“Hmmm…” Sarah considered it and grinned, winking at her friends. “If Aurora shows us anything, taking risks is important.  No risk, no gain, right?”

 

Derrick nodded emphatically and ran at Sarah with a ready high five.  She completed it with a slap of her hand.  If Sarah thought like this, she might be even more at risk than Leona knew.  

 

Wondering at the ages-old question about whether or not a superhero solved problems or if they actually created them just by existing, Leona mused on the philosophy.  Where light exists, there too is shadow. Would Mr. Mechanical have shown up in San Isidro of all places, if she wasn’t here? But why come after her, specifically?

 

Leona looked at Maria pleadingly. “I’d like to have a quick talk with Sarah.” Her eyes moved on to Derrick and she gave him the same puppy eyes.

 

Derrick paused and pursed his lips.  Maria nodded quickly and took the thoughtful young man and hauled him off.  Meanwhile, Leona took Sarah’s hand and pulled her to the side where they could speak quietly before the school day started. They still had a bit of time if she rushed.

 

“Aurora spoke with me bef--after all that robot stuff happened.  She asked you some questions for me, but I want to ask these questions now.” She peered into Sarah’s eyes and licked her lips nervously.

 

“Okay…” Sarah fidgeted, looking a little uncomfortable. “We don’t really have the time, though…”

 

“We do.  Please. It’s important.  I’m worried for you.  Sarah, please answer.”

 

Sarah’s eyes flashed and her nose crinkled.  “Aurora thinks m-my parents are hurting me. They’re not. End--of--conversation.”

 

She turned and Leona quickly grabbed the upper part of her right arm.  Sarah screamed.  Most everyone who were in the process of filing into the building turned to look.

 

Leona winced, wondering what people would think of Sarah’s screaming.  “I’m not hurting you… don’t scream like that…” Sarah’s nervous girlfriend gulped.

 

Sarah looked over her shoulder with smolderingly angry eyes. Her expression conveyed a great deal of naked rage, but it melted soon into sniffling.

 

“Why did you scream like that?” Leona pulled Sarah into her arms.  People started wandering closer, thinking a girl was in trouble, but Leona waved the people edging closer away while she gently cuddled Sarah as she sobbed softly against her shoulder.

 

Many moved away, but two guys stared. They backed off after a few moments, but their eyes expressed their uncertainty.

 

“Is your arm hurt?” Leona asked Sarah softly in a whisper.

 

Sarah looked up with wet eyes, and her eyes went flinty again, but Leona knew that this anger wasn’t directed at her. It was meant for someone else who wasn’t present.  

 

Sarah shrank away, but unwilling to leave it at this, Leona gently pressed her against the nearby wall and locked eyes with her as she gently rolled up her crying girlfriend’s long, baggy sleeve.  

 

The cornered girlfriend looked down sadly as a large and dark bruise came into view. It was so very purple and red and not to mention, very painful.

 

“Are you okay? What happened?” Leona asked, eyes narrowing and her blood pressure skyrocketed as she got angrier than she had in a long while. She was not angry at Sarah for hiding things.  She halfway knew the answer, and this was why she was upset.

 

“Ah-- I’m okay… I just… I got really angry at my dad the other day…” Sarah’s tone was meek. “H--he got really mad too… really mad that I sneaked out to see you.  He doesn’t want me to see you at all.”

 

“I know.” Leona set her teeth firmly and relaxed with a great effort. “What did he do?”

 

Sarah sniffled softly again. “He… he put a big bar of soap he uses in a sock and hit me with it.”

 

Leona was stunned to hear her confession.  “T-this isn’t acceptable! DAMN IT!” Leona yelled, drawing the attention of the two concerned guys again.  They strode over and grabbed Leona’s shoulders to haul her away.

 

“What are you doing to her?!” one of them demanded while the other looked at Sarah, noticing the huge bruise.  His eyes widened and he looked at Leona angrilly.

 

Leona shook her head while Sarah froze.  “I didn’t do that to her. Bruises can’t form that quickly.  It was her…” Leona wasn’t sure Sarah would want others to know about this horrible, horrible secret.

 

Sarah looked down, thinking hard.

 

Leona waited as the tension rose, and the guys sprang into action.

 

“I’ll take you to the nurse’s office,” the guy who had his hands on Sarah’s shoulders let go of her and offered her a hand.  Sarah shook her head and started to softly laugh. “Don’t worry about me.  Thank you.  It wasn’t Leona who did this to me.  Please don’t push me right now.”  She continued to laugh softly.

 

The two guys looked at her concerned and hesitated, but finally the first let Leona go, who seemed like he was ready to slam her into the ground.  

 

Leona sighed in relief, but only smiled at him. “Thanks for caring.”

 

They guys stared at them unconvinced, but Sarah spoke again, “The truth is, my father actually hit me until I passed out.  I woke up in bed.  My body’s covered in these bruises under my clothes.  He was careful to not hit my face or anywhere anyone would see, and told me not to tell anyone about it.” She continued to laugh and tears oozed from her eyes.  “My mother’s afraid now, and since my father has been avoiding me.  But you all… I swear if you say anything about this to anyone else, I’ll DESTROY YOU!” Sarah hissed softly.

 

The boys winced and backed off. “Stay quiet!” Sarah panted, her lips trembling.

 

Leona ran back to Sarah and threw her arms around her to support her while she let out the tears and helped her calm her laughing.  She cuddled Sarah as the two boys finally left, looking over their shoulders.  Others looked like they were concerned, but time was running down, so the two were left alone.  “It was all my fault!” Sarah sobbed and laughed softly. “For sneaking out… for… f-for being so stupid and selfish…” Sarah cried, more meek and tentative now that the anger had faded again.

 

Leona turned Sarah’s face up and gave her a gentle soothing kiss which continued for a short time, but Sarah’s sniffles couldn’t be stopped so simply or easily, though she relaxed slightly as time passed.

 

Leona spoke to her in a soft tone, “Sarah, don’t try to keep me quiet about this… please don’t.  I know what this is like. Abuse.  I don’t talk about it much, but my dad didn’t just lock me into a box for a long time, he once slapped me so hard my nose bled for a while.” She gazed a long time into Sarah’s eyes. “I’m with my auntie Goonie now, all because he was a bad father.  Good fathers don’t do this.  Good mothers don’t allow this.” Leona tightened her embrace of Sarah and despite that, she hugged her gently so as to not hurt her bruises any more than she had.

 

The bell rang, and once again Leona was late, but Sarah wouldn’t get as much in trouble as she probably would.  

 

Sarah nodded and sniffled softly, sighing. “It hasn’t happened again since that time... I think he’s sorry.  Mmmm… It… feels so good when you hug me, Leona.  Is it OK if we stay like this for a while?”

52