5.15 – Choose to trust
561 14 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

5.15.png

“Thank you, sirs.” Aurora turned away from Black Angel to look into the eyes of her mentor and friend, the Avenger. “Since you trust me so much, I feel that I should display my total trust in you.” She eyed Black Angel, who shook her head and witnessed as Aurora said, “You’ll likely be disappointed by the truth.”

 

Aurora released her transformation and returned to little Leona in front of her heroic peers.

 

“Incredible!” Vanguard exhaled. “You’re so young!” He looked sternly at Leona and went down to a knee in front of her, looking a bit up into her eyes. “I’m proud of you for shouldering such a burden at your age, but if you want to retire, I won’t think any less of you for it.”

 

“I knew it.” Black Angel laughed, clapping her hands together in delight. “You knew this would happen. They don’t take you seriously anymore.  Such a mistake.  When they’re done with you, we…”

 

The Avenger walked across to put a hand on Vanguard’s shoulder and his other on Leona’s. “Your name is Leona Ramses, isn’t it?” he asked, looking into her eyes. “We’re both proud of the work you’ve done.”

 

Leona gaped at M.A.  “You even know my name! I can’t believe it! Do you memorize everyone’s name in the world and commit them to your memory?!”

 

“That would be difficult for me.” The Avenger laughed.

 

“Thank you for the compliments Sir, Avenger… but I won’t change anything, sir.  I’m doing exactly what I want.  Helping people.” Leona smiled happily at them. “In any case, it’s only a four year’s difference between my forms.  Does it seem like a huge deal, to you?  To me, it’s not.  I’m Leona, but also Aurora.  They’re both my true forms at this point.  I’ve spent so much time being the angel that she isn’t someone I’m pretending to be… I AM Aurora.”

 

Vanguard sighed and his expression became inward-looking. “Well, this might be a legal issue, especially since none of the things you’ve signed are binding anymore. Can we get your mother or father to meet with us as well? I’d like to have them confirm this.  Also…” He stood and looked to the Midnight Avenger. “Did you know about this?”

 

“I had my suspicions,” he said. “It was the most likely choice given the locations she was sighted in, her cases and especially considering her interest in the Padua Realignment Camp.  However, it wasn’t my secret to share.”

 

Leona’s heart dropped.  The Avenger had already guessed her identity? Had anyone else?

 

“What a tragedy. Delightful!” Black Angel crooned.

 

Vanguard nodded to the Avenger. “I understand how she feels. During the second World War, kids grew up pretty quickly.  The original Avenger took a sidekick younger than you during that time.” He turned his eyes on Leona. “Even so, I want to speak with a parent or guardian of yours just to make sure that your status with the team holds up in legal terms.  I need to know that she’s alright with the risks you’re taking with your life.  But so long as it’s alright with them as well, I see no reason to treat you any differently.” He smiled again and gave Leona a gentle hug. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, Leona. I’m honored that you chose to share this information with us.”

 

Black Angel hissed. “Damn it! You… goody shoes... mindless…--- cretin!” She flailed and rained Vanguard with punches that would never land.  Her fists passed through him and she sagged after a time to huff as she wilted.  “He’s supposed to be an asshole who holds to law no matter how unjust the outcome! What the HELL?!” she screamed at the heavens.

 

Leona smiled, not just for what Vanguard had said, but also that her faith in these men had been vindicated.  Those punches meant for Vanguard had figuratively landed on herself because without knowing she was even present, he had conquered her.

 

“What I said stands.” Black Angel whispered as she faded into motes of grey light. “You will fall, even if they accept you for all you are.”

 

Leona hugged Vanguard back and smiled, shedding tears of joy. “Thank you.  My Aunt is very much aware of my activities. She’s already met Mistral.  She knew who I was and met with my family.  You’re very much safe where there are legal questions. I have to say that meeting the two of you would knock Goonie’s socks off.” Leona laughed. “I have something in mind, actually.  My aunt, my guardian and also my adoptive mother, runs a restaurant.  I was thinking that maybe we could meet there after hours and we could treat everyone to a meal.  I’m not ready to let everyone know my secret, though… so maybe just the two of you would be for the best.  She’d be appropriately gushy over superheroes patronizing her healthy food.”

 

Vanguard rubbed his chin after standing back. “Well, to preserve your identity, we’ll come in our civilian identities for dinner and then we can discuss the matter privately.  Assuming the restaurant is empty, we can conduct the conversation there, or we could do it here where there’s no concern for secrecy.  I don’t normally have guests, but this is a very special occasion I’d say.”

 

Leona beamed Vanguard with a grin. “I’m sure that my aunt would be thrilled with the idea as I.” Leona couldn’t restrain her energy and joy as she bounced a bit. Her emotions welled up to the point inside that she re-transformed!

 

They winced when she exploded with light and laughed.  “The matter is settled, then. Avenger and I will stay in town after we resolve the situation with Mocha-slash-Mechanica, and we’ll have dinner at your aunt’s restaurant in our civilian identities and then reconvene with your aunt here. We can go into the actual building itself at that time.” He gestured to the Grecian-looking building. “This is the landing area for the teleportation machine.”

 

The floating platform was a ring of Grecian-style columns around the edge and the small building that was just off-center at the middle.

 

“For the moment, let’s go back.  Three to return to: previous location,” Vanguard said.

wingsbreak.png

38