A013 – Before Hunting
6.7k 42 219
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That day, a peculiar scene happened at the City Square.

A teenage girl wearing a priestess robe was busy creating Holy Water using the city fountain.

"AQUA BENEDICTA...! AQUA BENEDICTA...! AQUA BENEDICTA...!!"

She scooped up water using an empty bottle, activated the skill, and repeated the process over and over. Her expression looked very pitiful, as she worked herself continuously to create Holy Waters like a machine.

Skill Name: Aqua Benedicta (Lv10)
Requirements: Cleric, Smite Lv1
Type: Active
MP Costs: 20 MP
Catalyst: 1 Container full of water
Effect: Creates Holy Water out of normal water.
SkillLv and the user's current class affects the quality of the Holy Water.

Instantly, she gathered a lot of attention and curious glances from the passerby, whether its Natives or Players.

    • "Look at that... What is she doing?"
    • "Haha, she makes Holy Water in this place... Very uncouth!"
    • "Has she forgotten her manner? This is a public place! Shameless!"

Some people who ignorant laughed and sneered at the girl. Doing item production in a public place is considered vulgar by them. Very unpleasant to look especially by people who came here to relax.

Meanwhile, other people just stood there as usual, doing their own business and pretending to not notice her.

    • "Hush! Don't say anymore! Don't invite disaster to yourself!"
    • "Huh...? What do you mean by that?
      Is this fountain owned by her parents or something? No way, right?"
    • "Moron...! Look closely at her robe!"
    • "What robe...? Oh syittt!! Damn my big mouth!!
      Sorry, I suddenly remembered I have an appointment IRL...! Bye!"
    • "Oi wait! What happened to our promise to party... Ah, he's gone..."

The latter knew that silly girl had a big background and wasn't someone they should offend.

♠♠♠

 

This was because of the robe she was wearing.

The Players recognized the robe as Sacred Robe of Healing, a part of Sacred Healing Set that was currently the meta equipment for support healing classes.

Meanwhile, the Natives recognized it as a robe given by the gods. This was understandable, since the robe could only be obtained by exchanging it using a lot of Glory Points.

The most important thing is the level requirement to wearing that robe is extremely high. Only level 99 and above could wear the robe, which meant this girl's Jobclass had to be 3rd-tiered, and it was clear to see from her skill that she was a High Priestess.

And it also clear to see that she was a Pioneer, a term of Players that stay in the battlefield.

The maximum level people can achieve with a 2nd-tiered job is just level 40, and only by advancing their job, they can break that limit. But that alone was not enough. They had to restart their level back from 1 once more with a slightly higher Exp requirement to level up. This, although it become slightly harder, but it should be no problem.

However, starting from level 40 and upwards, the exp requirement increment was raised by fold. Plus the fact that death means one level reduction, the difficulty of leveling up also became harder and harder.

This difficulty makes Players who have reached high levels afraid of the battlefield. They chose to spend their time inside the city and do some daily quests occasionally, rather than going to the front lines and lose their hard earned level. 

And the one who stayed and continues to make achievement is the Pioneer. As the term says, they were Players who often did raids and continues to conquer the land from the monsters. And speaking of raids, is definitely inseparable with big Guilds.

Which also means she most likely belongs to a big guild, such as Genesis Guild, or Prominence Guild.

♠♠♠

 

Kazu looked at this silly childhood friend of his with a concerned expression.

"For some reason, I keep worrying about Rena's future."

He could hear the insulting sneer from the surrounding. But looking at Rena, it seemed like she chose to ignore them, so he also decided not to respond.

'Perhaps, if Grim was here, he would note all of their names from the chat log and directly place a Bounty on them.'

That would work because it was Grim. But if Kazu did that, he can only be greeted with Rena's anger.

The fact that Rena is this kind of silly girl was something that he knows very well. But he knows that behind that silly personality of hers, Rena actually was a sensible girl that brings smile to her surroundings.

She was even willing to help him by making bento for himself, hers, and Emi every day. This helped him who was very financially struggling, as he did not have the luxury of buying food in the cafeteria. Although Kazu doesn't mind eating tasteless synthetic foods, but a tasteful food is always appreciated.

Rena did not directly offering any cash aid, because she understood it would only damage his pride. On this aspect, Kazu can only express his thanks to her careful thought.

With that personality, there was no one that can hate her.

"I agreed. Rena is the type that get tricked easily by bad people. This girl always makes me worry."

"Hahaha..."

"Though, I would be relieved if you take care of her in the future."

Emi replied on the side as she busy making preparation.

She soaked her arrows and Kazu's Throwing Knives in a bottle of Holy Water.

Each Throwing Knife made by Hecate has a distinctive design that can absorb liquids, perfect for storing poison. In this case, it greedily absorbed the Holy Water and quickly emptied the bottle, which fortunately, can be quickly refilled by Rena again. 

"What are you saying, Emi? I don't have that kind of feeling towards her."

"Yeah, yeah... Let's keep it at that. For now..."

Kazu shifted his glance to Emi with a complex expression.

Emi's house is the closest as it was the next door to him. They grew up together since they were babies, and it was inevitable for him to develop a crush on her. But unfortunately it seems that the other side only treating him as a little brother. With Rena included, Emi stubbornly act as a big sister of the trio, rendering every of his moves towards her invalid.

The "take care of her in the future" here had the hidden meaning that was easy to see. Basically, Emi was saying that Kazu should make Rena his wife and take care of her in the future.

It's not like he hates Rena or anything, on the contrary, he likes her, but it was not to the point of love.

But for him who aimed at Emi's route, he can only express his helplessness.

'Where did it start going wrong...?'

Kazu couldn't help but started to think the reason.

Originally, their relationship was smooth. Even before they got the Capsule Pod, they often visit each other home. Playing together, watching anime together, even before exam, they studied together.

But when his sister got a troublesome disease and requires treatment, everything seems to change. His family was not so wealthy to begin with and their economic situation could barely support the tuition fees for 3 children. Then, the little sister's hospital fee has to be included. Kazu did not have the leeway to think anything except for making money.

That time, they already started playing Ascension, but haven't been recruited by Genesis Guild. With some advice on the internet, Kazu aims to become a black player who sells items and  Gold Coins for money.

'Haah... Perhaps it was then when our relationship started to crack.'

Kazu's glance then shifted to another person. A petite girl who stood silently beside the Save-Crystal.

This girl, Hecate was the savior that brings him the money for his sister treatment. But at the same time, involved with the reason of quarrel between him and Emi.

"What are you doing, Hecate-chan?"

Hecate waved her fingers in the air as if manipulating something, which most likely her game interface. If the 'Show' option is not turned on, nobody than the user could see their interface.

She stopped her finger before answered Kazu's question.

"I got pocket money."

A simple reply, right to the point. Hecate was never a talkative girl in the first place.

From her words, most likely it was an allowance given by her parents(?).

"Oh, that's good for you. How much did you get, anyway?"

"3 million."

Another short reply, but this reply was like a bomb that exploded inside Kazu's mind.

Kazu could only be stupefied after hearing the amount she can get. That kind of amount was higher than his father's yearly wage, including the bonuses. And yet, Hecate could easily got that money from her parents(?) as a pocket money!

She must be a daughter from a rich family!

♠♠♠

 

He then recalled the scene from two years ago, during the first time the trio meet with this girl.

Back then, she was a strange girl who wanted to buy an Elixir using  Gold Coins. At first, he thought this was a joke or something. He didn't understand why she wanted that item, as it was the time when every Players were still low level and ordinary Potions would be sufficient to fully replenish HP.

Maybe it was for a Quest issued by a Native?

So in a whim, he jokingly said he would give her the Elixir in exchange for  50.000. Unexpectedly, she agreed without ever trying to haggle. Mind that, when the currency was still around Copper and Silver coins,  Gold Coins were extremely expensive.

In a black transaction,  50.000 was worth around ¥1 million!

If that's the case, why didn't she just sell coins for money, buy gems, and get the Elixir by herself?

Does this girl not know how to buy gems?

Basically, this trade was about exchanging ¥20,000 into ¥1 million. Of course, he feels very bad to her, but for the sake of his sister's treatment costs, he chose to kept quiet. At most, he decided to repay this money sometime in the future.

It was a given that Emi got angry at him for deceiving such a little girl. 

Emi: "Stupid Kazu! If you ever told me, I would've helped you without hesitation.
I'm sure Rena also the same! There is no need to cheat that girl!"

With Emi's coercion, he decided to come clean the next time they meet. However, Hecate still insisted to complete the deal as it is regardless of his explanation.

Hecate: "Don't insult me. The deal is already established!
Just shut up and take my money!"

And so, his sister was saved, at the cost of Emi's trust.

♠♠♠

 

While Kazu reminisced about his past, Rena-cchi also done with her work.

"Okay, 200 bottles of Holy Water. This is all of them. My work is done."

"Then, let's go. Don't forget about the Corridor Crystal."

"Don't worry, Emi-cchi. My preparation is perfect. I always prepare a lot of CC beforehand."

As she said that, Rena-cchi took out a triangle shaped tube crystal from her inventory.

Item Name: Corridor Crystal
Type: Consumable - Crystal
Rarity: ★★★★★★★
Durability: 5/5
Effect: Create a warp point to the saved location.
The warp point lasts only for 10 minutes.
Details: A finely processed Crystal made from a concentrated Mana Stone.
Capable of storing the location data and connect the warp point to it.
Can only be used in front of the Teleportation Gate.

This crystal is a must item that guilds and raid parties should have.

In this game, walking from area to area is no different than walking in the real life. Without the convenience of cars and trains, traveling between an area to an area might take hours and days before they can arrive.

Such conditions make Corridor Crystal a necessary item, especially for large guilds to move their troops. 

Of course, with the caliber of Genesis Guild, manufacturing them was not a problem.

"Are you ready? Hecate-cchi, Kazu-cchi?"

"Yeah." | "Anytime is OK."

Both of them nodded.

"Then, without further ado. Departure! Corridor Gate, open!!"

With that said, Rena-cchi walked to the Teleportation Gate, raised the crystal and activate it.

 
You have used the Corridor Crystal!
Pay 1.000.000 to activate the Teleportation Gate?
► Yes ◄              No
 
 
You have paid  1.000.000 to activate the Teleportation Gate.
Teleportation Gate successfully activated!
 

In that instant, the dormant Teleportation Gate started to shine and produce a lot of particle of light. The particle eventually coalesced and filled the gate, opening the portal between the two places.

Without further ado, the party walked into the gate.

Kazu: How much is your pocket money?
Hecate: 3 million.
Kazu:
Spoiler

[collapse]
   
Rena:
Did not say anything and spend  1 million (¥ 500.000) to activate the gate.
 

219