Chapter 1: The Loan Shark
3.3k 36 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1: The Loan Shark

In the slums of Trent stood a unique bar. It shone like gold in the middle of old debilitated shops. The noises coming from the passing crowd drifted and filled the air, the tunes flowing from ear to ear. Each individual coming from various directions - going to the place whichsoever their fate may bring them.

All kinds of people, some white, black, Asians dropped into the old stores, buying the groceries they need.

Most of the businessmen and local peddlers believed the area was a lucky spot. A business hotspot to earn and sell their goods. It was an abode filled with various types of business and wares.

And of course, all kinds of people...

"Beggar! Cursed Beggar!"

The sounds of flurried steps echoed on the wooden pavements of the bar building. The building was in the middle of an intersection. It was placed where random people were passing through like a flood.

Soon, a loud angry voice trembled throughout the streets. It was followed by a human whimper. The cries struck fear to the hearts of those who heard. The thundering emotions wedged through the ears of the people making their busy feet stop for a moment.

But only for a moment.

Catching the whiff of trouble coming their way, the passersby scampered away. A veil of grimace filled their face as if they were avoiding a plague. A few even pulled their clueless companions, dragging them to avoid the upcoming trouble.

The crowd moved their gaze away. Many of them couldn't stand watching such classic bullying.

"Tsk, the new loan shark sure is vicious!"

"Shut up! Move inside."

"Don't get caught up with that kid or else you'll die in someplace you don't know!"

The old-timers around the street warned everyone lest trouble finds them. They tried shooing away the gossipers that could affect their business. The memory about the now-dead old Bu who owns the bar was still fresh in their minds.

"Bam."

Zhai Wu staggered holding his aching arms. His face was pale white, his left eye-bulging, and blackened. He wanted to run but he couldn't. The pain made his legs noodles, his strength had left his limbs. His breath ragged as he huffed.

A lean yet muscular man soon appeared. The man walked out of the bar. He was carrying a wooden bat. The man had his thick black hair cascading to his furrowed brows. "I already gave you five months to pay your debt!" Tsk, and here you are daring to ask for another loan!?

"Oi, you really think I'm stupid?"

Unable to run, Zhai Wu could only watch the man with teary eyes. His heart was galloping in fear. The muscles in his face stiffened as he tried to reason his way out.

"Brother Zhou Qi, please! I beg you. I only need a little. My little sister needs to see the doctor now. O-or she will die! You're my last hope now!"

The remaining people stood a few meters away. Although they pitied the boy, they decided to only watch the unfolding drama.

They all stared at the begging Zhai Wu, throwing pity at him. Even so, no one dared to offer their help.

Only a few people would dare to cross the man named Zhou Qi. This man was the new local mafia boss. A newly minted loan shark. He earned it by killing the last boss of these slums. As far as they knew, a lot of blood had fallen into his hands.

The man named Zhou Qi was the current master of the street and even the whole slums. A big shark at that. He has ears everywhere. Thus, no one wanted to see trouble walking towards their door.

They feared that if Brother Zhou Qi heard that someone gave Zhai Wu money. The loan shark would come knocking at their doors in the middle of midnight.

And just like what normal hooligans do, they would come asking them to pay for the debt of Zhai Wu. The loan shark would then make them the new co-maker in an instant. No explanations were needed. After all, they were unreasonable, to begin with.

If they were not satisfied, the men would camp at the doors. After all, many loan sharks were like that. Even though they still don't know how the Zhou Qi ran things. They could infer and imagine based on their experience with the other loan sharks as a standard.

If you call the police, they would run for a moment. But once the police were gone, they would smash your shop at night before running away again. And no one wants to throw their business into tatters for a young boy they don't even know.

"Please! I only need 20,000 Zeals. This will be the last one." Zhai Wu crawled crying, as he tried to reach Zhou Qi's sneakers.

Hearing the amount, the bystanders gasped.

"Such money! No wonder the loan shark went nuts." Murmurs echoed around the streets. "With that cash, I could even buy a few houses of my own."

"Tsk."

The loan shark Zhou Qi sat down on the ground. He stooped down, putting his hand on his bended knees.

“I don’t know if your name is truly Zhai Wu. But it really suits you.”

[Authors Note: I googled the name Zhai Wu - it means debt, an obligation in mandarin. Correct me if I am wrong. But that’s the gist of it.]

The loan shark frowned, glaring at Zhai Wu.

Eye to eye.

"If I lend you some, where will you get the money to pay me?"

The man called Zhai Wu stumbled to get the words out. Realizing that he couldn't think of any other place to get money. He lowered his head, he dug his face deeper into the pavement. He was hoping for a miracle. "I-."

"I what?"

"I'll think of a way. I am willing to sell myself to you. J-just, save my sister!"

If Zhai Wu couldn't find any money, his only sister would definitely die. His sister was suffering from chronic kidney failure. The doctor said that the best treatment was to find a kidney donor.

He was willing to be an organ donor. Still, Zhai Wu needed money to do the operations. Until then, his sister could only survive through dialysis.

The cost of the dialysis alone would be more than 20,000 Zeals. The doctor of his sister already decided to carry some of the burdens. The old doctor took pity on them. And after a long round of begging as well as the help of his old boss, Zhai Wu managed to trim the cost.

Zhai Wu and his sister were orphans. Earlier this year, their parents died in a car incident caused by a swarm of attacking zealots.

After the void shocks, the orphanages were already full. These institutions couldn't even accept any new mouths to feed. Thus, Zhai Wu and his sister worked to feed themselves.

Though they were not rich they could still survive all thanks to some of the savings of their parents. Their neighbors also pitied them, giving them some food from time to time.

The constant zealot attacks had also made it harder to earn especially in the slums. The 20,000 zeals were something he had to earn for more than 10 years of hard work. Zhai Wu wasn't even sure whether he would survive to see that day.

Zhai Wu was out of his wits this time. Even if he had put together all his savings, it would definitely fall short of the required amount. He already turned his head to his relatives. Yet, only a few chose to help them. Few of his relatives even slammed their doors close after seeing his shadows. All he could do was grit his teeth and live with it.

After hearing from his old boss, he decided to beg for the loan shark Zhou Qi’s help. The truth is… he already took a sizable loan a few days ago. He used his last loan for his university tuition fee and his sister's schooling.

He and his sister already planned to pay it in installment by working part-time. He and his sister knew the importance of good education in this era. To climb the ladder, you must first start making one.

But tragedy struck! It came at a time he never expected. Zhai Wu's only sister got sick.

He already tried to pull-out his tuition fee payment from the university but got rejected. It was the same in his sister's school. The schools told him that it was non-refundable. He even caused a scene inside before getting thrown out by security. Before even starting his first day in his university, he got slapped with a suspension. And maybe expulsion soon enough.

Zhai Wu also tried asking for help from government agencies but got rejected. They asked if he had connections. And if none, go away.

The rise of the zealots, void calamities, and wielders changed the very nature of the whole world. Democracy was gone. Communism was in shambles. But the hearts of man was still as wicked as before.

All things were about the survival of the fittest. The strong and powerful make the rules.

As an 18-year-old young man, Zhai Wu had little connection. He only knew a few guys. But almost all were poor. So despite knowing his outstanding debt, he still chose to ask for the loan shark’s help.

"Tsk, don't ask me for money like that. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth."

The loan shark Zhou Qi threw away the bat in his hands. He sat on the road, pulling the chin of Zhai Wu.

"Raise your head, brat. You know, you really make me look like a bad guy."

"I didn't even cause that damn black-eye you have. I didn't even hit you very hard." The loan shark pointed at the black circle on Zhai Wu’s face. "You ran here with a blackeye and I take the blame. It's a set-up."

"Tell me? Did that bastard Wuren sent you here? He planned this right?"

Zhai Wu tried to lower his head and turn away. But Zhou Qi held his chin, making it hard for him to move. Seeing the action of Zhai Wu, the loan shark Zhou Qi laughed out loud.

The man called Wuren knew that Zhou Qi would lend money to Zhai Wu. Yes, whether he likes it or not. After all, only Wuren and a few of his close friends knew that he once had a sister who also died due to a lack of money. Watching the brat in front of him was like watching his old self.

The eyes of Brother Zhou Qi turned bloodshot. The pain made his heart blaze in madness. "Haha, fine I will help you. Tell me where is that bastard first?"

The loan shark hated this feeling as if he was doing everything according to the wishes of a man in the shadows.

Wuren was the man who owned the biggest debt to Brother Zhou Qi. This man tried to establish his own business after borrowing from this loan shark.

Unfortunately, the business fell flat and only lost money until it closed down. Wuren was a friend of Zhai Wu. In fact, his previous boss in his part-time job.

"You don't want to say? I'll really cripple you! You think I don't dare?!"

Zhai Wu's pale face turned whiter as soon as he heard the threat. Though, Wuren already told him that he should tell Brother Zhou Qi where he is. He still gritted his teeth and didn't answer.

"You don't want to tell me? Fine!"

Brother Zhou Qi stood, he lit up another smoke, a cigarette to calm his nerves. His eyes were cold and emotionless. He looked at a nearby man and signaled at him.

The fat man picked up the wooden bat again. He walked towards Zhai Wu with a wooden bat in tow. The grating sounds coming from the wooden bat made Zhai Wu tremble.

"Ahhhh."

The screams of Zhai Wu sent the people nearby to scramble away, a shiver pricked their backs. The stores nearby immediately close their doors, making the area still and quiet.

No one called for the police since they knew that this man would take revenge against them. This vicious loan shark even had connections to the police officers. He would definitely know immediately who dared to call the police.

After his initial scream, Zhai Wu held his leg, squirming like a worm on the ground. Tears and snot covered his face. Though he might become an invalid after this, he still gritted his teeth.

Zhou Wi huffed in irritation. His sharp eyes clear once again as if his outburst was a mere dream.

“Not talking?”

Zhai Wu wiggled, taking all the pain, still unwilling to divulge everything.

"Very loyal! I like a good man like you."


Second Draft! At last, the first chapter is out. What's your take on my first chapter? I hope you enjoy it!

Thank you for reading. If you liked the novel please add it to your reading list. Please do click the heart-shaped button to support me. My Patreon is also open for your support!

Please check my other novel: The Last Dukes' Memoirs

 

55