Chapter 2: The Past
2.3k 15 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2: The Past

The screams made a few people stop in their tracks but eventually ignored what was happening. All they could do was to show pity. A useless pity.

The smiling fatty then strode towards Zhou Qi again. He brought a chair forward, a buddha like a beam flashing on his face. He slipped the chair forward in the middle of the road, letting Zhou Qi sit on it.

"Money Bag!"

"Yes, Boss."

Zhou Qi sat like a thug and a king. Even so, the loan shark hated this feeling. The image of this kid, damn, made him burn in anger. So useless! You won't get easy money from anyone. Use your head, damn it. He pulled out a stick, flicking his rare metallic lighter.

The smoke he blew formed flashes of images, he saw his past self, begging with his sister in his arms. The embers coming from the cigarette opened up his most hated memories. Smoke gushed out from his nose before mixing into the cold stale air.

He was like this kid, Zhai Wu.

Zhou Qi was also an orphan of the slums. He also once had a sister. But she was no more.

The government and their relatives in the City of Trent also refused to take care of them. Such a thing was a common occurrence in Trent.

The war against the zealots and monsters appearing from void gates weakened the nations. Even the new city-states had to grapple against humans and beasts. The city also suffered due to refugees, causing the rise of these slums.

Zhou Qi's dad died during the first void shock. The day that gave rise to the zealots. His mother was also one of the first gift wielders in their city. She was able to make objects float.

One time, his mother went to buy food for them only to never return. Until now, she remained missing.

Zhou Qi deduced that their mother was already dead. He didn't tell his younger sister about this. He only told his little sister that their mother was undergoing a government mission. And she believed...

A few months ago, his only sister suffered a disease. An erratic fever of unknown origin. No quack could save the little kid. He begged for help. He went to the hospital but got turned away. His simple sin was having no power and money.

Zhou Qi could only watch his sister dying in his arms. Even in death, his sister was murmuring the names of their parents. It was a heart-breaking event for Zhou Qi. The memories shattered and changed his visions in life. In his arms, his sister closed the windows of her soul…forever.

The heartbreaking event happened after he finally completed the doctor's fee. It was like fate was mocking him to the face. A punch to his guts.

After his sister died, the innocence within Zhou Qi crumbled down. He learned that in this new world order, he must also change. He became very determined and cold-blooded.

But after seeing this kid, Zhai Wu. He almost lost his grip on his chains of reason.

"Give the kid 20,000 Zeals."

"But Boss he-."

"Give!"

The fatty immediately ran toward the two-story bar, shouting along the way. "I'm working on it, Boss!"

A few minutes later, the fatty finally returned. He was panting, his fats wiggling now and then. In his hands was a bag full of money.

"Here Boss 20,000 seals no more, no less!"

"Thanks, Fatty."

Zhou Qi puffed out a cloud of smoke. His eyes constricted as he gazed at the young guy squirming below the floor. He turned his back and waltzed back to the bar. "Give it to the boy."

The fatty followed the order. He strode to the kid, Zhai Wu. He lowered his neck filled with meat. The eyes of the fatty turned venomous after making sure that Zhou Qi was not looking. He turned his thick lips near to the ears of Zhai Wu, his voice gurgling in irritation.

"Boy! You're really lucky this time. If I were Zhou Qi, I would throw you to the dogs after breaking every part of your body."

After saying his piece, he turned around and went to the back of Zhou Qi. He once again looked like a harmless fatty.

The loan shark stood, throwing the remains of the cig, stepping at it to kill the remaining embers. But not before pulling another one again.

Young Zhai Wu stretched his hands to take the bag. He dragged his numbed leg and opened the bag. His sweat dripped like an open faucet. After confirming that it was indeed 20,000 Zeals, he looked at Zhou Qi.

He felt no anger nor hate. His eyes were filled with tears and gratitude. In the end, the loan shark lifted his hands to help.

"Thank you. Thank you! I repay this. A-absolutely!" Words of gratitude were the only things he could offer. He hugged the bag while crying due to joy, banging his head on the ground. He even forgot his aching leg. He tried to stand up before falling to the ground again.

When Zhou Qi saw the stupid site, he gritted his teeth. He stopped in his tracks. The loan shark Zhou Qi's eyes blazed in irritation once again.

He roared in anger. "Hell! Why in fuckery! Fuck!"

"Damn it! Damn it! Cheng Shi, get an ambulance now. Bring this stupid brat to the hospital. Make sure that nothing happens to his damn leg! Fix that damn face."

Zhou Qi pulled out something from his pocket. He threw it to the face of Zhai Wu. It was a wallet filled with bills. "Go get your legs fixed! Return here after paying your sister's hospital bills."

He dashed before the limping brat, picking up his chin, gazing at the eyes. "You owe me your life now brat! Now scram!"

"Yes, yes!"

Soon, the glaring sounds of the ambulance rang around the place. After seeing the crawling man. The medics put him on the stretcher after they examined his injuries. The paramedics immediately took him away after seeing the thick cash-filled wallet.

Zhou Qi watched the red and blue colors swinging from the ambulance's headlight. The sirens ringing in his ears. His silent memories stirred. He threw the cigarette in his hands, crushing it at the ground. He looked at the people gazing at his back and simply ignored them.

He moved his gaze forward as if something was in front of him. He showed an awkward smile before shaking his head.

"Tsk, this boy made me smoke once again."

"Let's go!"

Zhou Qi remembered his sister.

He walked with heavy steps. Tonight would sure be a long one. A good drink will be nice.

Before he could even enter the bar, his feet stopped.

Pzzt.

Hidden Quest Activated…Completed

The Word Called Mercy.

_____________________

You have completed the hidden quest "The Word Called Mercy."

+1 Charm

+1 Luck

+1 Intelligence

You have learned a new ability: Will of Mercy

You have learned a new ability: Sharp Mind

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Name: Zhou Qi

Race: Human

Level: 3

Experience: 0

Main Class: Gangster

Sub-class: Civilian Lv. 1 (0/50)

Attributes: Strength 5, Dexterity 5, Endurance 5, Intelligence 5(+1), Mystery 1, Charm 5(+1), Luck 5(+1)

Unassigned Stats: 0

Energy: 0 (Lv. 0)

Energy Rank: 1~2

Grade: G (Mortal)

[System Notes: A merciful piece of trash with a bit of strength; living like a stupid boss in the middle of the slums. Is this the place you wish to die, punk? Strive harder!]

Health points: 20/30 (Unhealthy Lungs)

Stamina: 20/20

Influence: -10 (Infamy)

Skills: Intermediate Street Boxing.

Gifts:

Hard worker: +10% faster improvement in learning.

Will of Mercy: +5% charm power.

Class Talents:

Sharp Mind: +20% better understanding and processing information.

_____________________

Zhou Qi glimpsed at the status appearing before his eyes. He closed his eyes, reminiscing his past through the windows of his memories.

The face of the darn boy made him feel worthless once again.

...

After his sister died in his arms, the man called Zhou Qi jumped on a bridge due to extreme grief. Even so, the heavens rejected him.

He survived the ordeal. After waking up in the hospital bed, Zhou Qi cried. His tears flowed like a river. Despite his many broken bones, it only took him to lay in bed for only a month. Still, he cursed his luck and himself. He promised one thing ever since.

Never again would he feel this hopelessness and uselessness.

As his tears slowly dried, a unique interface appeared before him. It was the light that changed his fate.

He earned his gift. He became a wielder. Just like his mom.

Through his newfound strength, he conquered the slums.

In just a span of a few months, he became someone feared and revered within the slums. He also found good friends.

From then on, he learned something very important.

A life lesson.

If you want something, strive first for something.

If you want to change, claw your way up.

The heavens would not feel pity for anyone.

Not even for an orphan.

In the year 2017, the rise of the void gates caused the rise of unique individuals, with different powers. Some could wield fire. Play with Water. Dance with stones. Bending Metals. Extreme Speed. Extreme Strength. The people called them wielders.

The realities twisting, the myths turning into the new realities.

The discovery shook the scientists and magnates of all nations. Many even implemented extreme measures, experimenting on these people to discover their secrets. The fear and greed in their hearts burned and blackened, twisting into an abomination. They conducted inhuman experiments.

Soon, a great number of people with this power rose one by one. The wielders discovered the darkness within the human heart. The flash of greed, envy, and fear in the eyes of the powerful.

Thus, a group of powerful wielders and called for rebellion. The group called for a new order.

The wielders started the manhunt against the madmen in the existing nations. Those who dared to experiment against the gifted kind. Many governments around the world suffered from their attacks. The group unveiled the rotting secrets of these nations, showing them to the public. The secrets had left almost the whole of humanity aghast.

With great power, they uprooted the ruling elites. It caused many nations to fall and lose power.

The group then invited all wielders of the world to join the group. An organization for the wielders.

They established a worldwide organization called the 'Association of Gifts'. Soon, the organization was acknowledged by the governments of the world.

No, the governments were the ones who were acknowledged. After all, the governments fell prey to the gift wielders. Not one excluded from their influence.

An era of strong eats the weak.

Only those with strength prevailed.

Even so, with their help, humanity was able to push back the zealots to the void gates. Some gates were even sealed completely.

Soon enough, the association started to gather power, riches, and authority. Their power spanning across the zealot infested continents. The glory was for the strong. It was not for the weak.


Edited again. As I write this chapter, I decided to develop the personality of the side characters as well as introduce them. ʘ‿ʘ

Thank you for reading. If you liked the novel please add it to your reading list. Please do click the heart-shaped button to support me. My Patreon is also open for your support!

Please check my other novel: The Last Dukes' Memoirs

42