Chapter 7: Consensus
1k 5 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 7: Consensus

"Cheng Shi! Cheng Shi. Where are you!?" Sasa uttered, her voice booming, shaking a few metallic kitchen utensils. She sounded like a loss kitten trying to find its mom.

"The heck! This is a cramped kitchen yet you dare shout! I'm not a deaf, brat!"

Sasa wandered inside, striding like she owned the whole place. Well, technically she indeed owned a part of the bar. She blinked her eyes around, searching for the source of the grouchy voice. She did not found the source of the voice. In front of the ghost-like tongue lashing, Sasa could only raise her shoulders as if she heard nothing.

She sauntered towards the washing area, her short hair bobbing up and down. She washed her hands, singing happy birthday in a cheeky tune. Then, she strode through the service area and the kitchen preparation area.

Still, the man called Cheng Shi nor his shadow showed itself.

"Are you hiding from me?" Sasa raised her eyebrows. She stood at the preparation table, tapping the marble with her fingers. She narrowed her eyes like a cat. Conspiracy theories dawned on her brain cells like 'maybe Cheng Shi wants to play hide and seek with me'.

"Why would I even need to hide from you brat!?"

Soon, deep sounds dawned on her sharp ears, it was the heavy steps of a man. She looked around saw the door of the underground storage, opening. The man was carrying a bulk of vegetables and meat. He was about to prepare some of the first orders.

"Oh, so that's where you are."

"What?! Of course, I'm here!"

The man had sharp bluish eyes. He was wearing a clean-cut chef suit. There's a certain elegance in the way he moves. When someone sees this man, their eyes would be caught in a quagmire. The man had a plain face yet wields the whole art of elegance.

A lady killer.

This man was the lord of the kitchen, Cheng Shi. A man capable of owning the kitchen by himself. No assistant was needed. When he's present, all the kitchen swoons with his grace.

Sasa looked at the Cheng Shi with shimmering eyes. She resembled a curious kid. Scratching her cheeks, Sasa raised her head. She blushed a little but for a different reason.

"Hey, Cheng Shi, how can I be like you?"

"Stop eating DLC Chicken and act like a proper lady." A straight cut jab to Sasa's guts.

Sasa pouted and waved away her head. With her head lowered, she decided to give up. So there's no secret after all. She thought that Cheng Shi was hiding some unique magic.

Her beloved DLC chicken was something she wouldn't surrender. And wasn't she already acting like a proper lady the past few days? The old lady where she buys soy milk even called her 'girl' every time she encountered her.

She turned around, ignoring the legit advice of the stylish man. She was ready to go back to the customers again. As she was about to reach the door, she remembered something. She pulled out a notebook. A crispy sound echoed in the silent kitchen.

Sasa ripped and removed four pages from her little notebook.

She then stretched her hands with the pages in tow.

"Cheng Shi, orders."

"Leave it there." A cold voice echoed.

"Fine."

Sasa ran back to the tables, catering and talking cheeky with the customers. Soon, sounds of chopping and sizzles echoed in the kitchen. Cheng Shi was a great cook. Under his hands, the greens, yellows, and orange turned flowery under a white plate. It was a feast in the eyes. One look and you are bought.

Cheng Shi started soloing the kitchen again. He was like a maestro, conducting the movement of the vegetables, seasonings, and meat. The ingredients dancing like a professional ballet dancer in his hands. The flames in the stove serving as their stage. The sizzles acting like their music background. With a flip, the dish flew in the air landing on the cooking pan with a 10-10-10 score.

Cheng Shi looked at his watch. A gift from his wife. The only remaining one.

"One down, three more to go."

The last call for drinks and food came at around 1 am. The smiling moon lighted up the dark city of Trent. This once-booming city during the morning fell back to a countryside lifestyle. The realities of the void shock took a toll on every part of society. Electricity and energy are included.

The destruction of supply grids caused everyone to understand the importance of energy. Conservation of electricity became mandatory after the void shocks. Only the moonlight and candles could serve the houses in Trent with light in the night.

Well, aside from the important establishment that is. Of course, the Law Bar was a very important establishment. The bar was well-acquainted with rich and powerful people who had the resources.

The bar also acts as an underground bid house. It was a rare place where rare zealot parts were sold or bought. Of course, all with the consent of the higher-ups. This gave Zhou Qi's Law bar both popularity and a little influence.

Well, a negative one of course. A nice seasoning of infamy.

"Boss, do you have new products? You know what I mean."

A man wearing a suit walked to the bar front. From his clothes, watch, ring, and shoes. You would understand that this guy was fully loaded with cash. The brands of his from head to toe were so pricy. It was enough to blind Zhou Qi's eyes. Why?

They're already as extinct as the dinosaurs.

Just look at the dud's watch, the company producing it had already fallen. After all, the owner and his family died during the early phase of the void shocks. His mansion was the epicenter of the void quake. The production line and supply line was already destroyed. His old factory rusting and in shambles due to the zealots.

No one, unless stupid, would dare to reclaim the sinking ship.

The night fell deeper. The grains of sands passed through the eyes of all the bar customers. Like a candle, they flickered in a moment, then they were gone. All transient before mother time.

Zhou Qi was cleaning a wine glass, scrutinizing each nook and cranny of the glass. He softly and lightly wiped the rim before going down to the bowl and stem. The base of the wine glass serving as the ending. Then, he would put the wine glass back into the hanger rack. Pulling another one, repeating the process as if he was honing his craft.

With his head lowered, he cleaned another mounted wine glass. Zhou Qi didn't raise his head but still answered.

"We're currently out of stock. You've bought the whole body last time."

The man smiled and nodded, walking away. He didn't shout or anything. A patient man, no wonder he was able to reach such heights. He got the temperament of a successful person. Determined, patient, sleek, and loaded.

"Tell me if it's available, I'll pay bigger."

Walking away, the rich man called a buffed tuxedoed baldy standing outside the bar. Soon, a beautiful red sports car arrived, booming outside the bar. The suited man entered the car. The striking car drifted in the night.

The last customer was out.

"Tsk. Rich bastard."

The once noisy bar turned silent, returning it how it once was. The doors of the bar closed and shut. The classy jazz music, gone. Cheng Shi, Fatty Jhin, Sasa, and Zhou Qi changed back to their normal clothes. Soon, they went to the bar front one by one.

"Zhou Qi no drinking!" Fatty Jhin scoffed after seeing Zhou Qi looking at the displayed wine bottles again.

"I know Fatty. I'll die if I try drinking again."

The stage 4 cancer warning of the system sent shivers to his spine. He changed the way he was looking at the wine bottles. A moment ago, he was looking at it like it was his wife. But this time, he looked at the bottles like his wife again but in a scared way.

After washing his hand, the most elegant man in the room strode and sat on the nearby couch. He pulled a white towel to dry his wet hands. With light movements, the white towel folded under his hands.

Then, with light touches, Cheng Shi wore his one-and-only watch.

Zhou Qi took a deep breath. Massaging his head, relaxing his tired nerves.

"Let's get things in order."

Sasa was the first one to arrive. She was eating a toasted bread mixed with tomato and mayo. With every bite, a crunchy tune floated in the air. She looked at the loan shark, her ears perked up. Aloof but listening.

"10,000 Zeals per head."

Zhou Qi pulled out a brown envelope below the racks. He threw it on the bar, the enveloped sliding amid the three people.

"According to the details gathered by the police, they are about 50 or more people. Counting by my fingers… that's how much is the f*ck Fatty?"

"A half-million Zeals. The largest commission we've encountered since we formed the team. Even that stupid Bu is only worth 50,000 Zeals."

Cheng Shi pulled the papers out, checking the printed letters. Sasa also took a glance at the files, her mouth full. After checking the files, Cheng Shi stretched his arms and laid down on the couch. He covered the blinding light above with the thin legal size paper.

"What's the catch?"

"Twenty men of Lieutenant Chu dead within a single encounter."

"Heh, a suicide mission."

"The fools are starting to encroach the areas where our bar operates. Basil Street and Ice Street are their main operating bases."

Fatty Jhin took some of the files posting it on a nearby wooden corkboard. He looked at Sasa with an awry smile.

"Sasa's turf."

Zhou Qi also observed the eating lady. The vote of the lady would be affirmative. No doubt.

"The fools are repeating the same mistake of Stupid Bu. The dumbasses spreading Meth, ice, ecstasy, and other addictive drugs."

Hearing this, the lazy eyes of Sasa turned sharp. He was like a cat provoke by a snake. Ready to jump at any moment now.

"Let's get into this."

Zhou Qi muttered something under his breath. A screen only available to him appeared. He looked at each member of the Law Bar.

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Name: Sallia Elfield (Sasa)

Race: Human

Level: 3

Main Class: Rogue, Princess

Sub-class: Civilian Lv. 8 (15/50), Royal Lv. 1 (3/10)

Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 5, Endurance 2, Intelligence 3, Mystery 3, Charm 5, Luck 1

Grade: G+ (Mortal)

Gift: ???

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

"Tsk, this lady’s poor luck."


Been watching anime as of late. Did anyone watch ERASED? Damn, it good!  (ಥ⌣ಥ) 

Thank you for reading. If you liked the novel please add it to your reading list. Please do click the heart-shaped button to support me. My Patreon is also open for your support!

Please check my other novel: The Last Dukes' Memoirs

29