Arc III Chapter 10
2k 26 101
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

III


━━━━━━┓┏━━━━━━


Arc III Chapter 10


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Aurora surveyed the surroundings, looking for an opening mechanism. A nearby lever, two wheels combined with an axle, appeared promising in her eyes. The emphasis was on ‘appeared’, as the lever refused to cooperate. The lever didn't merely appear to have ceased working. The lever had indeed ceased working, and not the stubborn kind of not working, but rather the impossible kind of not working. The wheel was stuck, not moving at all despite several attempts on her part.

 

Aurora reconsidered her strategy. There must be a reason why the wheel wouldn't move. Something must be blocking the axle, or the cogs, preventing the gears from turning. Reality would prove her right.

 

Continuing her search, the true culprit was quickly identified behind a bunch of half rotten wooden boards. They were protecting the antique apparatus of gears and weights, ropes and chains, pulleys and shafts. No wonder that her efforts met with little success. The lever was sabotaged on purpose with metal rods and other junk inserted between the gears, blocking them completely. Fortunately, they refrained from destroying any essential components. Removing all the junk would be a hassle, but far from impossible. Nothing that would stop her and her improvised plasma cutter.

 

A dance of sparks illuminated the air as her flame cut rod after rod in half before extracting them. Her purple flame cut through steel like butter.

 

“Three.” Three rods were defeated with a few remaining.

 

“Five.”

 

“Seven.”

 

The last rod fell, and her work was done. A good kick and a gentle touch of brute force did the rest. A tiny bit of brute force never hurt to get things working.

 

Steering the wheel slowly but surely, the axle was finally moving before suddenly starting to spin out of control. As gears turned, hoists and chains rattled, ropes and weights rose and descended, an antique gate reawakened from its slumber, moved by ancient machinery. 


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


Lambert was fuming. His blood was boiling, approaching a critical state. Enough was enough! He was seriously tempted to fucking kill her! Once again, the girl had ignored his orders! Once again, the little rascal was causing nothing but trouble. No more! Times were about to change pretty drastically. No more mercy! No pardon!

 

Lambert clenched his fist, evil plans forming in his mind. The girl was going to learn her lesson. She was going to suffer her due punishment! He would reduce her daily rations. That was the only language the voracious, little glutton would understand. The girl wouldn't understand, but her empty stomach would for sure. Only stale bread and water for her for the rest of the week and beyond. Food deprivation would teach her much needed lesson, and also help them to conserve supplies.

 

“Damn it, where the fuck has the girl gone? She must be somewhere”, Lambert grumbled, visibly annoyed by her persistent absence. They were looking for the girl all over the place, searching the entire area, yet there was no whatsoever trace of their doll loving mystery girl. She must have somehow slipped away in a moment of carelessness, and ventured deeper into the ruins, which was troublesome. The guild only issued a safety guarantee ... for the upper floors ...

 

The earth trembled and the enormous gate, thought forever immovable, parted, opening its arms. A familiar face greeted them from beyond the portal. A certain girl armed with a certain unmistakable doll waved at them from afar, delighted to see them again.

 

The girl and her doll hopped down the stairs, sprinting in their direction. “Sister Iris~, Uncle Lambert~, look what I found!!! I found a secret passage ...”

 

Lambert's reaction came promptly. His hand smacked her hand.

 

Aurora rubbed her head in response, strongly disapproving of such. “Ouch, what was this for, Uncle Lambert?”  

 

“You little rascal, you know perfectly well what was this for. Don't play dumb with me! I am not an idiot!” Lambert narrowed his eyes, his eyebrow twitching in uncontrollable anger. “I am tired of your endless excuses! You have abused and betrayed my trust far too often! Your entire behaviour is unacceptable! We are a party. We are a collective. We stand together. We fall together. Nobody here, which includes even you, can do as they please! Your actions carry consequences for all of us! I won't allow you to endanger the lives of all of us in your pursuit of trifling amusement! Do you understand?”

 

“Well, ...” Aurora lowered her eyes in a false display of shame and guilt.

 

Lambert's ire intensified. “I said, do you understand?”

 

“Yes, I understand, Uncle Lambert. I made a mistake. I shouldn't have abandoned the party and run away. ” Aurora ceased her resistance, as she wasn't exactly blameless throughout this entire affair.

 

“Good, I strongly hope so, not only for your sake.” Lambert's anger hadn't subsided yet. Hopefully, a little token of her appreciation would improve his mood.

 

Aurora rummaged through her pockets. Her hands produced her lucky charm. “Uncle Lambert~. Uncle Lambert~.”

 

“What?” Lambert barked at her.

 

“Uncle Lambert, I know you are angry, but I think I have got something for you that might interest you.” Aurora presented him with a single polished gold coin.

 

“This is ... This is ... This is gold. Pure high carat gold ...” Lambert's eyes widened. His eyes switched to her, as her help was suddenly in high demand. “This coin ... Where did you find it?”

 

Aurora deployed an innocent smile. “My doll told me there was an ancient treasure hidden somewhere deeper into the ruins. So we both went on a treasure hunt.” Her doll and she nodded in perfect synchrony. “Together we explored the lower floors before stumbling over a secret passage. We then discovered a room full of treasures. There are shiny coins and sparkly things everywhere. Beyond the gate, there are many, many, many more of them!”

 

“...” Lambert blinked, his mouth hanging agape from disbelief.  His head stopped working.

 

“Uncle Lambert~ ... Uncle Lambert~ ...” Aurora poked him. Lambert showed no reaction, as if petrified.

 

“Ahaha! Ahahahaha! Hahahaha! Hahahahahahahahahahhahaha!!!” Lambert broke out in mad laughter with all of his anger blown away, nearly hugging their lucky charm, their cuddly girl with her innocent purple eyes and her cute doll. He couldn't believe it. They were rich! Rich! Rich! Rich!!! He couldn't tell whether the girl was a blessing in disguise, or a curse incarnated. It was her who unlocked the gate so many thought impassable. Riches and fortune were awaiting them.

 

Meanwhile, Aurora and her doll tilted their heads in confusion. For some reason, Uncle Lambert appeared like changed. He even stopped being angry at her, which was a development she definitely approved of.


━━━━━━┛┗━━━━━━


 

101