Chapter 6: He Needs A Slight Push
6.9k 20 167
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Silence gripped the chief palace. Usually, there would disciples walking around and about the chief palace to act as guards or seek insights, but now, they were as silent as the dead. At least, the disciples that were hidden in the walls were. 

 

“Uncle Tie... I’m sorry.” Yan Xiaolong did not know what other option he had so he bowed his head and apologized. 

 

“Do you know why I’m pissed off?” 

 

“I didn’t tell the clan about annulling the engagement?” 

 

“Try again.” 

 

“I ruined the relationship between the Tie Clan and the Han Clan?” 

 

“Wrong answer.” 

 

“Then, I’m not sure.” 

 

“Tch.” Uncle Tie clicked his tongue. “You didn’t tell me about it first. I don’t care if you tell the clan or not. Their decisions and opinions doesn’t concern me, but you didn’t tell me! Remember, this engagement wasn’t just created by the Tie Clan and Han Clan, but between your parents and her parents. It’s far more important and deep than what you thought.” 

 

Uncle Tie started to ramble on about dishonoring and arrogance, somethings that made Yan Xiaolong turned a deaf ear to. After speaking for some time, Uncle Tie asked, “Why did you annul the engagement between you and Han Xiaoling?” 

 

“I didn’t get good vibes from her. Something tells me that I’ll die if I get too close to her.” 

 

“Peh! As if I believe that.” 

 

“I just didn’t like her face. Jade-like skin and phoenix-like eyebrows are not my type, Uncle Tie.” 

 

“Okay. I can believe that,” Uncle Tie said with a bright smile. 

 

“Eh? Really?” 

 

“Yep.” An iron sword behind Uncle Tie flew toward him and smacked him on the head with the blunt side. “As if, idiot. Whether you marry or not depends on you. I just didn’t want the bond that your parents set up to be destroyed just like that, but since you’re so insistent, I’ll just leave it be. Though, I also just wanted to smack you on the head. Let’s get down to the real question: what is your Dao?” 

 

[Dao is a very controversial topic in the world of immortal cultivation. There are as many Daos as there are life forms. Most Daos are about becoming the strongest. However, not everyone can, or will, reach the apex of their Dao. Saying that you’ll become the strongest is the safest answer. Saying anything else would be met with backlash and heavy criticism, especially from the elder generation.]

 

“Uncle Tie, why are asking me this question?” 

 

“Along with annulling your engagement, I’ve heard that you reached basic enlightenment and discovered your Dao. So? What is it?” Uncle Tie furrowed his eyebrows and stared down at Yan Xiaolong. 

 

“Well... I aim to become the strongest.” He said while meeting Uncle Tie’s eyes. 

 

Uncle Tie did not say anything. He only continued to stare, not showing any emotion. Yet, it was the silence between them that spoke the words. Yan Xiaolong felt the pressure increased, not around his body, but inside his heart. The situation reminded him of his time at his workplace, whenever he was called into his employer’s office. At some point, he held his head down, his eyes staring at the ground. Sweat rolled down his head like tear drops.

 

The silence made him itchy. The silence made his ears rang like the clapping of thunder. The silence gnawed at his stomach like a hungry rat. The silence roasted his brain and scorched his skull. The silence was the ice and he was given the pickaxe. 

 

“Sir... I want to be carefree. I want to live a carefree life with beautiful women and adorable pets on a farm,” Yan Xiaolong said sincerely. His voice slightly trembled with each word, unsure if he was making a mistake or not. “A world where I can relax. A world where I can enjoy my time. A world where there are no stresses. A world where I can wake up to beautiful faces around me. A world with cute creatures that love me. A world that is beautiful and happy. I want nothing more than that world. Sir, that is my Dao.” 

 

Uncle Tie closed his eyes in contemplation. Silence returned, but Yan Xiaolong’s heart soared above it. Moments later, Uncle Tie opened his eyes. “So that’s why you rejected Han Xiaoling. You rather have wives and consorts than a dao companion. Funny. It seems I spoiled you for too long.” 

 

A leather bag appeared in Uncle Tie’s hand and he flung it at Yan Xiaolong, sending him out of the chief palace. Uncle Tie’s voice rang out from the deep halls. “A foolish Dao! Come back when you reached Golden Core!” 

 

Yan Xiaolong screamed as his body flew down from the chief palace. Uncle Tie looked down and saw a pile of dust flying into the air from where Yan Xiaolong landed. Then, he looked at sky, contemplating the words his precious nephew said. 

 

“A carefree Dao... To live with beautiful women and adorable pets... Foolish. Truly foolish,” He said while gripped his iron sword. “But what Dao is not just as foolish?” 

 

Uncle Tie turned around and sat back onto his prayer mat. “No Dao is incorrect or weak, but they are treacherous in the world of immortal cultivation. To live a carefree life seems unambitious, but requires unparalleled strength to achieve. In this world where rivers are made from blood and mountains are formed by corpses, this Dao is unnatural. It does not conform with the Dao of Heaven.” 

 

“Yet... because it does not conform, it could produce the greatest strength. His Dao is just like theirs. Xiaolong, if you want walk down this path, then you must obtain strength. Only people with blood of iron and veins of steel can live this kind of life. Zhong Yun!” Uncle Tie snapped his finger and a handsome servant appeared from the shadow of the walls. “Tell me, how long have you been with the Young Master?” 

 

Zhong Yun bowed his head and said, “Since the day Young Master saved me in the alley, it has been ten years, sir.” 

 

“You have dutifully serving Xiaolong for ten years. From cleaning his bed sheets, to buying him alcohol, to luring women in for him, to torturing and killing people that threatened him, you have done a lot. But... are you willing to die for him!?” 

 

“Sir, I’m willing to swim across oceans of mercury and climb mountains of swords for the Young Master. I am the cloud that loyally follows the Young Master, giving him shade across this world of flame and war. He saved my life, so my life belongs to him. My soul is for him to sacrifice. My mind is for him to control. Why would I not be willing to die for the Young Master!?” 

 

“Oh? What about your heart?” 

 

“Uh, that too!” 

 

Uncle Tie gave a hearty laughter. “Relax. I’m kidding. Of course I know where your heart belongs. As my nephew’s retainer, I obviously know about your affairs. Especially with that girl. Now, return to your post. I will contact you after I'm done planning." 

 

Zhong Yun left the chief palace with great haste to assist his young master. Uncle Tie sighed and laid on the wooden floor, staring at the artwork on the ceiling. 

 

"In the end, to live a carefree life, one must be like the sword. Strong and straightforward. Ruthless and righteous." He reached his into the sky and sighed. "You chose not to conform with the Dao of Heaven, so Uncle will help you. Uncle is useless, but he can at least guide you to becoming the sharp blade that you need to be. That boy... he needs a slight push." 

 

167