10. Fay Harbour [Part 2]
2.9k 8 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Compared to Fred's group, these thugs looked more professional. They were most likely higher on the hierarchy of Alter Q, as they wore professional outfits compared to the rough attire of Fred. While I didn't see any weapons on them, I guessed that they decided to hide their weapons while they were in public. While Justine told me that Alter Q was a small gang of around 300 members, I wondered how accurate that information was.

They seemed to be a larger gang than what she remembered, as they felt more like a Crime Syndicate. It was easy to identify who the leader was since he was the only person wearing a high-quality coat. However, while the other thugs had an intimidating personality, the leader seemed to be relaxed. He was a rather handsome fellow, who looked to be around the age of 22. He was likely a playboy, as I saw the women passing by give him sultry looks. While he seemed to be a charming person, I still kept my guard up around him.

As the leader of the group lit his cigar, he spoke to us in a calm tone. "While I don't condone the attacks on one of our members, Fred was more of a nuisance than anything else. His little band of molesters won't be missed. We'll make sure that he uh...disappears if you catch my drift. However, I have to wonder how he got the paralyzation magic, as he didn't seek any approval from my father. The worst-case scenario has him working with the Children Of Ogis, but he has to survive our interrogation first. My scouts are notifying Quant of Fred's transgressions. The name's Quint," Quint said confidently.

Isabelle quickly grabbed her stowed daggers and assumed an aggressive stance. "What do you want, Quint? Aren't you too busy playing with the hearts of women?" Isabelle said snidely.

Quint smiled at the remark before smoking his cigar for a few seconds. Some of his men were reaching for their hidden weapons, but Quint motioned them not to.

"Your name is Owen, right? I must apologize for Isabelle's aggressive attitude. We had a moderate fling before she got too attached, as many women do. If it puts you at ease, we don't consider you to be a threat to our operations. Fred blatantly violated the peace treaty we signed with the Mayor 12 years ago. We still intend to keep our end of the bargain," Quint said.

"If that's true then why did you shout at us?" I asked.

"Our business interests in Fayhelm are of greater importance, so there's no point in risking civilian casualties. I came to warn you before you did anything stupid. As far as I know, we won't bother you unless you hinder our operations. You stay out of our way and we'll do the same. However, my scouts told me you're primarily a Merchant, so I'm looking forward to visiting your store. Come by our Casino if you wish to have some real fun. Hell, you can even visit our brothel. Judging from the sparse information I have on you, we'll most likely meet again. You seem like a nice kid so may you live long and prosper!" Quint said.

As Quint snapped his fingers, his bodyguards quickly followed behind him. After we waited a few moments, we determined that the coast was clear. To call it a strange encounter would be an understatement.

"What the hell just happened? I'm so confused," I stated.

"It's a long story, but we can talk about it at The Dusty Palm later. In the meantime, we should get a good look at the ocean. That's what you guys were about to do, right?" Isabelle said happily.

As Justine and I nodded, we eagerly followed Isabelle to the coast. At the moment, Isabelle didn't want to talk about Alter Q, so I asked her questions about Fayhelm. I asked her about each location on the map they gave us. She happily agreed to tell us, as she explained what she knew about each district. Once again using the [Fast Learner] skill, I mentally condensed the information she gave me:

Fayhelm's Prominent Locations

Main District

The largest district of Fayhelm, which houses a little of everything. Since Fayhelm is still a growing city, the sections in the Main District have yet to be classified. While some may see this as a good problem to have, it makes the possibility of getting lost a probable reality. You could call it General District.

Platinum Helm Guild

The only Guild House in Fayhelm, but also one of the largest. Platinum Helm Guild stands tall thanks to the lobbying of previous Guilds, who wanted a central location for the various guilds in the city. Thanks to this, many quests are available at Platinum Helm. From Resource Collection all the way to Monster Slaying, everyone can find the quest that suits them best.

Clan District

This district houses the many clans prevalent in Fayhelm, and the resources they need to manage them. It's proximity to the guild, and to the northern entrance, allows the various clan members to complete their jobs with minimal obstruction. 

Ironwill

The working-class district of Fayhelm, who can't afford to live in the city walls. The land is rather cheap, but at the expense of security afforded to citizens inside the walls. New buildings are being built weekly to keep up with the demand, as Fayhelm continues to grow.

Fay Harbour

The harbor of Fayhelm, which is home to many tourist-friendly locations. A majority of Fayhelm's imports and exports come from the sea, so Fayhelm's ships are usually protected from pirates. Warehouses, Eating Places, Inns, Maritime Traders, and even Fishing shops were happily occupying the district.

It's usually the most lively location since the shops around Fayhelm visit the district to pick up or deliver packages. It's also a tourist hotspot, similar to Crimson Helm.

Crimson Helm

A district filled with Bars, Strip Clubs, Brothels, Casinos, and other illicit activities. It's a district that's primarily owned and operated by Alter Q, which provides the Criminal Organization an incentive to uphold the terms of the agreement. Having the district outside of the walls represents its unique jurisdiction that has been offered in exchange for peace.

Mayor's Manor

The Manor of the current Mayor, named Ross. They credit mayor Ross as the person who revolutionized Fayhelm into the trading hub that it is today. He is also the person who negotiated an impossible peace treaty with Alter Q, who has turned into a sizable crime syndicate in the region.

His nickname is the 'Miracle Man', who has the always powerful Wilhelm to protect him and his daughter. It's still unknown how Mayor Ross was able to get the Half-Demon.

By the time Isabelle finished her explanation, we were already sitting on the benches that were scattered around the harbor. As we saw the various ships passing by, we took in the beautiful view of the ocean. Since it was evening, the sun made the sky rather colorful, as it began its gradual transition towards nighttime. We spent an hour relaxing before Isabelle got up and began stretching. It looked like she was preparing for war as she tried to get her blood pumping.

Isabelle quickly turned towards us with a smile on her face. "As I stated earlier, I know a few people from the Tavern who could help you on your quest to become a Merchant. I know you guys had a long day, so Happy Hour is on me! I'll show you the Fayhelm hospitality!" Isabelle said proudly.

As I sprang up from the bench, I happily shook Isabelle's hand. I was overcome with joy as I expressed my gratitude.

"You are a godsend! You're not only pretty, but actually a good person! I'm glad to finally meet someone like that!" I said happily.

"What? What about Justine? She's definitely more beautiful than me!" Isabelle said embarrassed.

"Hahaha! Like this useless, cunning woman could ever be—," I said.

As Justine exhibited a devilish smile, she happily put me into a chokehold. She had a strong objection to my accusations, evidenced by the increasing pressure on my neck. As I tried my best to escape, Isabelle laughed at our situation.

"Haha! You both look like a genuine couple! Is that a playful chokehold?" Isabelle said happily.

The hell? A playful chokehold? Do you think a Goddess has a 'playful chokehold' in their vocabulary? She's purposely making sure that I don't lose consciousness.

Of course, I couldn't say that for obvious reasons.

"Yup! Just a playful chokehold, right? Haha!" Justine laughed.

As Justine suddenly released me from the chokehold, I knew that two things were certain:

  1. This was not funny at all.
  2. My road to being a Merchant was becoming increasingly complicated.

Despite acknowledging that as we walked towards the tavern, even I couldn't predict the conflicts that would soon befall me.

Quint is the son of Quant btw. Quint & Quant Incorporated is their business name, essentially. Father and Son who run the region's largest Crime Syndicate. However, they aren't the only gang in Fayhelm.

60