27. Magic 101
724 1 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enjoy!

Since I completed the physical portion of my training, it was time to learn the magic of this world.

However, this meant that I was now under the care of Goddess Justine.

As Faith picked up her scabbard, she addressed us.

"I'll see you guys later. I need to regroup with Sophia. It wouldn't be wise to keep her waiting," Faith said.

"Don't worry about it! Since you're a Magic Knight, it would be best if an expert magic caster taught him. And that person is me!" Justine said proudly.

As Faith chuckled and waved, she left the room. After a few minutes of rest, Justine sat in a chair next to me.

"Are you really an expert on magic?" I asked.

"If you knew what it took to summon 'Omega', you wouldn't be asking me that question. Plus, my mother is one of the best mages in Quelyn! I think I know a thing or two," Justine said.

"Fair enough," I said.

"Anyway, before we figure out what you're proficient in, I need to explain how the Magic System works! I would suggest you get comfortable because this might take awhile," Justine said.

As Justine and I sat down, I used [Fast Learner] to condense the information she gave me.

---------------

I - Origin

To properly understand the Magic System, it's important to reflect on the history of this world.

According to Justine, Father Mayhem is the primordial entity that created the world, the Gods, and everything else from pure nothingness. He created the Supreme Deity and the Supreme Demon at the same time to establish a perfect mix of Eternal Light and Eternal Darkness. Therefore, they consider Light and Dark Magic to be primordial magic.

After they were created, the two rulers built their own domains. The Supreme Deity created Quelyn, and the Gods, in her image. The Supreme Demon then created Dugwyn, and the demons, in his own image. It is from these two dimensions that additional Magic branches were created.

II - What is magic?

In Adrios, magic comes from the force of life. This means that magical energy radiates throughout the entire world.

Regarding the ranking system, it's based on the Supreme Deity and the Supreme Demon. Although their ranks are SSS+, that's the highest the ranking system goes. They're probably much stronger than that.

You'll be surprised to know that we have to thank Archangel Cindra for not only naming the Magic branches, but coming up with the Appraisal system. Archangels are high-ranking angels who serve directly under the Supreme Deity, which is in contrast to the Archdemons. The Supreme Deity gave power to each of the Archangels since she deemed them to be worthy. Seraphiel, Michael, Cindra, Xisona, and Arael were the 5 Archangels that formed 'The Divine Shield', which was an elite group of Archangels considered to be on par with the Gods. They became 'The Quartet Of Saints' after they found Archangel Xisona guilty of several crimes, including treason. They assigned Archangel Cindra to her banishment since she was the one who defeated the traitor. She tore off Xisona's wings, cleared most of her memories, and branded her a Fallen Archangel

To honor Archangel Cindra for her efforts against the Demons, the official name of this world's magic system is called 'Cindra's Tree'. 

However, even though magic comes from the force of life, this doesn't mean that all beings can use these magical energies. These differences have created specialized jobs, professions, and industries in Adrios.

But the people with the highest magical potential are some of the most powerful in the world.

Demons. Angels. Gods. Demi-Gods. Wardens. Anomalies.

All 6 of these classifications possess a high potential for magic.

Generally, magic is seen as a commonplace thing in this world. There are many names for the different branches of magic, but we derive all magic from Light and Dark Magic. Therefore, having a Class like 'Sorcerer Of Light' is considered Legendary.

The various races of Adrios began using magic from the very beginning. Since they considered magic to be a gift from the Gods, this is also how the concept of religion began.

III - Magic Casters

As I stated before, learning the abilities associated with your class is easier than the ones outside of your class. This means that a fire caster would have a peaceful time learning fire spells, but a harder time learning earth spells. Having a Gift like [Fast Learner] lets the user learn the different branches of magic faster.

Using magic requires mana, which is constantly flowing within your body. Your body will subconsciously know how much mana you have left, similar to how it tells you when you're hungry or thirsty. Demi-Gods and Gods have higher mana counts than mortals. Also, Demons have slightly higher mana counts than non-demons.

It surprised me to hear that it was possible to gain or lose the gift of magic. However, since the circumstances of doing so were complicated, Justine decided to gloss over it.

IV - Using magic

Having a reliable source of mana and health is important. That's why this world offers two very familiar items: Mana Potions and Health Potions. When your party doesn't have a healer, a health potion will make a fine replacement. When you're low on mana, a mana potion can get you back into the fight. As with most Alchemy, you'll need certain ingredients to craft these powerful elixirs.

The best magic users in Adrios are very studious. It takes an extensive amount of practice to become an expert in the field. However, there are some mages who specialize in certain areas of magic. While one mage may focus on learning every destruction spell, another may focus on learning every healing spell. When you specialize, it means that you focus your time and effort on 3-4 branches of magic.

V - Price

Using magic has a price...if you're not careful. If you attempt to use magic when your mana is zero, your blood will be consumed instead.

Part of being a good mage is having a strong sense of Mana Management. It could save your life...literally.

VI - Effects and limits

With the right magic, anything is possible.

However, the magic in Adrios are separated into 5 tiers:

Tier I Magic - C and C+ Mages

Tier II Magic - B and B+ Mages

Tier III Magic - A and A+ Mages

Tier IV Magic - S and S+ Mages

Tier V Magic - SS+ and Above

To use Tier IV magic, you must be an S rank. Likewise, anyone C rank and above can use Tier I magic. With this knowledge, I understood why Wardens are considered to be powerful heroes. They are literally on another level compared to the rest.

There are few exceptions to this rule. However, they usually come in the form of a magical item. Justine's Sacred Treasure 'Omega', for example, can output Tier III and Tier IV spells regardless of her rank.

VII - Interactions

Some Tier III and Tier IV spells require multiple mages.

This means that several mages can combine their powers to achieve a greater effect than on their own.

It's also possible to borrow or lend magic power, which is called 'Transfer'.

When a mage becomes powerful enough, they'll be able to combine various types of magic into one. They call this 'Multi-Threading'. Since it was a complicated subject, Justine didn't tell me anything more than that.

Finally, depending on the branch of magic, it can cancel or overwhelm another branch.

For example, Light Magic can cancel out Dark Magic. But Dark Magic can also cancel out Light Magic.

Another popular example is Fire, Water, and Earth:

Fire Magic Cancels/Dominates Earth.

Earth Magic Cancels/Dominates Water.

Water Magic Cancels/Dominates Fire.

Therefore, 'Multi-Threading' your attacks is seen as the ideal situation. Most people gain the ability to 'Multi-Thread' when they reach A rank.

---------------

[90 minutes later]

"And that's how the Magic System works! You now have everything you need to properly learn about the wonderful world of magic!" Justine said proudly.

"You're a lot smarter than you look, Justine. I'm proud of you! I'm sorry for always calling you useless," I said.

Justine placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Owen...we didn't even get to the fun part yet!" Justine said.

"What do you mean?" I said.

Justine smirked as she pulled out a group of crystals.

"I didn't tell you how to cast magic for a reason! Let's have some fun, shall we?" Justine said.

Owen begins his magic training in the next chapter!

17