93. Bleeding (Part 4)
5.8k 10 167
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Young Master, I thought you gathered soldiers to protect yourself from danger. So, why did you send the soldiers somewhere else?”

Sera was killing a sword-wielding skeleton with a short sword as she casually asked.

Colt killed two walking rotten corpses before answering, “They’re weak, and they were trembling against opponents like a skeleton soldier. It’s better to leave them with Lopre to be trained. We have Butler Neun with us. Even if we die against someone strong, then do you think the soldiers will be able to do anything to stop it from happening?”

“Understandable, but…why is he here with us then?” Sera nodded her head as she put her short sword to the side. She looked behind and saw Julius closely following Neun.

The kid trembled as he felt Sera’s piercing glare.

“I-I’m very sorry, I-I’ll try not to be a hindrance.”

The child could not look directly into Sera’s eyes. He was too scared.

“Sera, leave the poor child be. The Young Master said he’d protect him so he should be here with us, in the most protected group of all.” Neun said with absolute confidence.

“…I see.” Sera was unconvinced, but she didn’t try to argue. Instead, she drew her blade and went to help Colt and Avern act as the spearhead.

Julius watched Sera’s back with anxiousness and then turned to Colt once again.

Neun saw this and smiled, asking, “Are you scared? Don’t worry I’ll protect you.”

Julius shrunk away and nodded his head.

While all of this was happening, Colt and Avern were making significant progress into cutting down the enemy forces.

Although Colt is but a mere Rank-3 Warrior and Avern only being a Second-Circle Mage, they were still a force to be reckoned with in this place.

With Avern calling upon two [Skeleton Soldiers] and letting them take most of the damage, then having Colt deal the finishing blow, they were moving pretty fast.

Colt stopped his sword’s movement and looked back at Neun, who smiled back at him. He shook his head and turned his attention forward. He knows he can’t expect anything from the old man.

‘This will take a long time.’

Though Colt and Avern acted as the spearhead, Fluff was in front of them, it was acting as the dog sniffing out the location of its sibling.

Looking around, Colt could see more and more undead, being attracted to the smell of life. Colt’s breathing was smooth. He was not ragged at the least.

His opponent may have number on their side, but Colt has the mind. The ones before him were brainless idiots. They wield a weapon according to instincts alone.

It will be a problem if the ones before him are Master Level. But thankfully, they are not.

He can see through their movements like the back of his hand, peering through their weakness as a Master could. His reaction also made things much easier for him to respond to situations. The proficiency he has in dispatching enemies was now second to none at his level, at least.

‘However, it truly is strange. The number of undead is a bit much.’

Colt stated as a wave of undead rushed his side.

He wasn't complaining. He was merely stating the fact. With a white light shining from his forehead, Colt’s mind was freed from any and every triviality of the mind. He became a ruthless killing machine.

Colt will dive into the fray without fear of death. Why would he fear if he is as rational as can be?

He will move if he can do it and retreat if he can’t. Simply put, he was fighting intelligently.

Neun watched Colt perform at a higher rate after the white light appeared. His mind opened as he grinned.

“That Gift of his is mighty.” Neun couldn’t help but take note.

Then, for a moment. Neun felt something sinister. A familiar killing intent was coming from nearby. Neun jumped back and even left Julius behind, startling the kid.

“Mister Butler, what happened?” The kid asked, unable to comprehend the action of the old butler.

Neun, however, only grew more confused than ever before.

His brows met in the middle of his forehead. The situation became dire.

“Alpha! Come out and activate your Gift!”

Neun called out, and a black bulldog named Alpha appeared. Neun’s nose darkened, and for better or worse, he picked up nothing.

“M-mister, Butler?”

While Neun was busily searching for an enemy, Julius found himself being attacked by an undead. Neun realized this mistake and quickly moved to mutilate the enemies that abound.

Butler Neun did his best to calm the Young Julius, but his brows continued to crease, and he never made Alpha leave his side.

Neun wants to leave immediately. Sadly, he can’t.

Colt’s improvement is significant to the family. Colt already told him the truth that there’s a secondary objective he needs to achieve in this place.

One night, Neun asked Colt, “Young Master, are we really just searching for a Bride Toke?”

He was merely gauging if the Young Master has something else in mind.

And true enough, there was.

‘I’m sensing that I can find my Second Soul Partner.’ Colt casually answered.

Considering the strength of Colt’s first Gift from his Soul Partner, Neun is also looking forward to this Second Soul Partner he speaks of.  

Night finally came, and Colt, Avern, Sera, and Julius gathered around a campfire. Neun was nowhere to be found as he was keeping the undead at bay. During the night, he would be one of the people to remain sleepless.

The undead is so much more active during the night. Neun knew he couldn’t have the young ones to take care of it alone.

Colt was eating his rations to sparingly.

He always eats fast, but not this time. They only have packed rations that will last them a full two weeks.

They do not travel by carriage, for that is too dangerous in situations where they can be sieged all over.

While they remain gathered around the campfire Avern could not help himself but ask, “Young Master, um, your training. Um, I saw you being dragged by the carriage once, and from what I see, you’re trying to be strong. May I ask why?”

Avern’s words and phrasing were stiff. In truth, he just wanted to break the silence. Everyone’s tired, and the atmosphere is not exactly light, so he tried asking. But as Colt remains silent, Avern felt like he fucked up.

“I-I’m sorry for my insolence, Young Master.”

Colt lifted his head and laughed the sight of this supposed Major Villain.

“It’s fine. You don’t have to act like that…” taking a deep breath, Colt thought of his past plans and simply said, “Well, I just want to be strong enough to live a peaceful life. I just want enough strength to be able to protect those that I want to protect. I’m here to do just that.”

He can’t avoid getting dragged into the shit that is the war, but he can at least prepare. If at some point, he grows strong enough to drive away his enemies, Colt will be able to live in peace with his family.

Julius stared at Colt slack-jawed. He closed his mouth as he stated, “What an admirable vision.”

It was not Julius who was amazed at those words as Avern’s eyes glimmered upon hearing him.

“Haha, how admirable, how truly admirable Young Master. I would pledge my loyalty to you if I could, but…”

“Why now pledge your loyalty to the Young Master? You won’t find such a kind and dignified Noble anywhere else.”

“W-well…” Avern avoided Sera’s eyes, for he felt pressured.

Sera, on the other hand, moved closer to him and stated over a hundred good points about Colt.

In all seriousness, Colt found that rather embarrassing and terrifying at the same time.

Embarrassing because he was being advertised like he was the leader of some cult. And terrifying because he can somehow see fanaticism behind Sera.

‘Dear Goddesses, I’m surrounded by weirdoes.’

167