121. Cry for Help
4.6k 13 126
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Knight Mary Courtgain, stand before your Maste…Lor…stand before me," Colt ordered.

"Yes, Master."

Mary picked up her sword and shield. She stood tall before Colt, 'Master…' her heart mysteriously was in trepidation as she thought of those words.

Colt saw Mary's eyes change. Although it was deadly, it was not the same danger he knew. But it was dangerous, nonetheless. Colt looked at Mary with seriousness.

Despite the mysterious repulsion he had with the words "Master" and "Lord", that was now his role, and nothing would change that. Mary would add a fine addition to his collection of people.

She was powerful and had a large circle of influence. Though betrayal was not out of the question, at least Mary's loyalty was strong enough for Colt to trust her.

However, there were still points left unclear. But all that should be clear in time.

"My Knight, let me ask you, with your honor and your Goddess' honor on the line, answer me, who am I?"

She got on one knee, "My Master, my Lord, the only one I would serve in this life!" Her answer was clear, strong, and unwavering.

"That's correct, then, Mary Courtgain, who is Colt Edgeworth?"

"???" this time around, however, she failed to answer as quickly. She lowered her head as she gave her answer, "My Master, My Lord, the one I serve in this life till the end!"

"That's wrong."

"Huh?"

She lifted her head and saw the amiable expression he had.

"Just like how Mary Courtgain is not just a Knight but also a lady and a daughter, I am Colt Edgeworth, I am both your Lord and not. Do you understand?"

"… I'm afraid I do not."

"Well, at least you are honest. But that is enough for now. I'm going to sleep for tonight, come on, let us go back."

"Understood, Master."

Mary was still a little confused, but she regained herself as she saw her newly appointed Master leave. She bore a smile on her face showing the delight of finding a Master to serve.

Colt, on the other hand, had a complicated expression.

'To be completely honest, I don't even know why Mary would want to become my knight. Nothing comes to mind when I think about the main plot, and I don't think we're close enough for her to ask me to become her Master...that still doesn't sound right. But, this turn of event is better instead of having her turn up as an enemy.'

He would rather claim her as his than have her appear as an enemy. He does not know what kind of family the Courtgain was. But because he heard from Neun that the Nobles of the capital might just be scheming against him, then it was for the best that Colt accepted her and possibly stopped any possible aggression.

There was also the fact that Mary made a vow using the name of the Goddess of the Fate she worships, which meant that he could at least trust her vow to be genuine, 'Am I reading too much into this?'

Colt was unsure. He would love to leave it up to fate, but even that was nothing but a sham, so he could only trust what he can do.

'I already have too much on my plate to deal with this complicated conspiracies.'

Time moved forward, and three days later, Colt and the rest reached the capital. It was noon, yet the roads were desolate.

Everyone was trying to avoid getting infected. The guards were marching on the streets, watching if people were gathering.

In most cases, no one would go out, and the carriage from outside the city would be inspected, but Colt only needed to open the window to let them know who he was.

His credibility as someone who co-created Evergreen was enough to make them feel that he knew what he was doing.

"Let's hurry. I do not wish to dally."

Mary saw Colt's severe expression, and she immediately knew that the one before her was no longer the Colt she traveled together with. Sera saw Colt, and she was not the least bit surprised. This was the Young Master she decided to follow.

He was different yet the same.

Colt was not a good person, but he had the innate desire to help people like any other. But unlike others, instead of merely thinking about it, he acts on it.

Like Butler Neun had said, 'Despite his cold front, the Young Master of the Edgeworth Family is different.'

As Colt ordered, they quickly reached the Tiger Manor, where they were met with Butler Go, Jin, and some maids.

"We welcome your arrival, Young Master." Everyone greeted. The Maids were all well and good, and as for Vyra, she was nowhere to be found.

'Jin must have prohibited her from going outside.' Vyra was just about to give birth. She had survived the Red Rose Poison; it would be her best interest if she doesn't go anywhere near outside.

Colt didn't waste time in waiting for anything else. He got out of the carriage and didn't even care about appearances.

"Sera, Mary, take care of the luggage with the maids."

"Understood." The two unhesitatingly obeyed his instructions.

"Butler Go, report."

"Three hundred deaths all over the Kingdom for the past two months. The Kingdom managed to contain the disease, at least to a certain degree.."

"I see, gather every necessary information about the current situation. However, in these troubled times, I reckoned it was easier to discern what is right from the wrong?"

It was a vague and unclear statement from Colt.

However, Butler Go smiled, "I have indeed seen the right from wrong, Young Master, do not worry. As for the letter, I have received it, and I have secured your "sword", for when you receive the medal of honor for your endeavors, Young Master."

Colt simply nodded his head.

"Jin, have you found the cure?"

He didn't say anything and shook his head. He was too ashamed even to meet Colt's eyes.

"help us!"

Colt was just about to say something when a cry for help reached his ears. Colt looked around, "Who was that?"

"Young Master, please, pay it no heed." Butler Go worriedly said.

"Please!"

There it was once more.

"Young Master!"

Colt changed his direction and followed the calling voices. He heard Butler Go's voice, but he ignored them, and before long, the synched chimes of people entered his ears.

"I-it's the Young Master of the Edgeworth Family!"

Outside the Edgeworth Manor, he saw commoners flocking to their gate, asking for help.

"The Hero of the South has come to help us!?" An old man questioned.

"Young Master Colt, please, help my child, spare us an Evergreen antidote. S-she can't hold on any longer. The pain is overwhelming her, please, help us!"

All of them, infected with the virus, both old and young, were on his gate, begging him for help. Even a mother holding onto her daughter looked at Colt dead in the eye, pleading, begging him to give him the antidote.

He can see their veins bulging out of their body.

According to the novel, the pain one experiences when inflicted with the Red Vein Poison is enough to knock out an adult. To move amidst the pain would risk in the veins to pop.'

And right in front Colt, he saw people bleeding from either cracked skin or their orifices.

Colt had been called a Hero not only to pretty his name. People amidst the chaos would find a light to find hope, and Colt became that said light with his multiple achievements.

"These are the unfortunate of the Slums. We want to help them, but we lack the resources to do so." Butler Go said from the side.

"HERO, PLEASE, HELP US!" A voice that could be barely heard entered his ears, and yet it was the most powerful voice for Colt.

Their calls almost deafened Colt.

126