3. The Village ‘Orphan’
224 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I found myself in a village.

A brown-haired young man diligently worked on the field with his folks. His body looked sturdy and muscular.

He would sigh once in a while, as he took glances at the sword monument.

The blade was beautiful, with its intricate hilt and engravings.

When I saw the youth at a first glance, I knew—he's the main character material.

==

It was a dark and stormy night, seventeen years ago.

Someone left a basket with a baby boy inside.

The village chief took him in and raised him. Even gave him a name—Hector.

His wife was already pregnant at that time. Eventually giving birth to their daughter—Milly.

Hector and Milly were raised like brothers and sisters. They grew up close and often played together, along with their friend, Zach—a noble's son.

...but their happiness didn't last forever when they turned ten.

Hector, Milly, and Zach rode a carriage with the other children to the nearest town.

The Church would test their aptitude in magic, and the talented ones will be admitted to the magic academy for 'free'. Those with aptitude can 'enjoy' a student loan system with a 'generous' discount.

Milly and Zach were especially talented, while Hector had none at all.

If he could wield magic, Milly and Zach often joked that he'll be a Hero—before they were tested.

...but Hector's not disappointed in fate.

He trained his body by working on the farm, helping the villagers, and swinging his wooden sword.

He took his time to learn how to read and write, and through the stories, he read—it sparked his desire for adventure.

...but he knew, stories were meant that way. The real adventure would be dangerous—he might lose his life.

Still, he felt his life was dull. He wasn't sure what to do in his life.

As the years went past, and they reached adulthood, Hector knew—Milly had no feelings for him.

She always thought of Hector as an older brother.

When Milly and Zach went home, their interaction was intimate. When they turned sixteen and finally graduated, a wedding was held soon after.

...and they moved from the village.

While they would often write letters to Hector, they became more and more distant.

Everyone in the village just wanted a peaceful life. Grow up, work, and start a family.

In all honesty, Hector didn't enjoy farm work. He just did it 'cuz it's was his obligation.

Aside from Milly, other girls didn't interest him. After he gave her up, he wasn't sure if there'd be anyone else.

While the villagers are kind and caring, he couldn't relate to them anymore—not even the Chief and his wife.

He wanted something much, and much more.

...but he was scared, 'cuz no one's by his side.

==

Normally, you would think—he'd be the Chosen One who would pull the sword and become a Hero.

...but I think it's too cruel, for the entire world's fate to rest on a young man.

I don't like it when the world relies on someone, instead of taking action themselves.

He should be allowed to choose his own path, and live the way he wanted the most.

There are too many stories of people who were forced against their will, and they have to put up with it.

I'm sick of that shit.

I identify with this young man, and I will help to make his dreams come true!

Though I wonder—did he want to adventure, in hopes of finding his real parents?

Yeah, I'm a sucker for cliche story ideas with a twist.

7