Chapter 38 – Hidden Aspects
738 10 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Double post today. If this is the first one that you are reading, then you have likely missed (37 - Allegiance).

 

Chapter 38Hidden Aspects.

-And there we have it. Link established.

Though there seems to have been a few side effects.-

Huh?

-Sorry, using arrays of this style here is kinda open,

and those with new connections decided to flex their muscles,

so to speak. Even though they don’t actually have muscles.

But I’m sure you get the point.-

Okay...

-Anyway, I’ll need to make this quick, as you’ll soon be out of range,

So, you’re both still together as you wanted,

but alone for the moment. The others should be fine?

I can’t honestly promise that though, the nature of those involved is complex,

and some of them are downright terrifying.-

This voice was a lot more different than the other that she had been hearing. The one who Rachael had referred to as Warrior. And ditto for the ones that had all chimed in when she had been made complete. This one sounded almost human...

-That’s because I am. Was. Ugh, It’s a little complex,

and still quite raw.

Let’s just say we’re probably more alike than anyone realises.

 

So, Angel’s plans might have gotten a little skewed with all the interference.

 

But ignoring that, she’s up to something. Something beyond the obvious.

Or perhaps it’s all really obvious. I’m still not sure I even understand them.

 

There’s a good reason that both of you are her champions as well as mine,

beyond any historic connections.

 

There are so many layers to what she’s done so far it’s not funny.

But it still needs to go ahead. They’re relying on it,

and I’m not sure I could actually stop it even if I wanted to.

Which I don’t.

 

We just need to be prepared.-

Crystal was getting even more confused by the second. For a start she had no idea who it actually was that was talking to her.

-Sorry, that was remiss of me.

I would be Velvet.-

There was only one Velvet that she was aware of to date. The one also known as the Avatar or the Dawn Angel, at least according to Clocky.

-Is that what they’re calling me? I think I just prefer Velvet.

But yes, that is me.-

 

-Anyhow, Myne will be looking for you.

There will be no way she would have missed your completion,

and it’s obvious connection to me.

The spike was quite intense.

 

That works to our advantage however. We’re going to need her help.

I’ve got other range issues that’s preventing direct communication at the moment,

so you’ll need to pass on the message.

Please.-

 

-Oh, and a little gift. You’re going to need it. This one doesn’t carry any side effects,

and you should be able to learn from it.-


The sharp pain in her left hand brought everything into focus, Crystal grimacing involuntary. Looking down, she could see the bright golden glow of lines and runes through the white fabric of her armour, which extended over much of her hands as well. It was an array of some kind, of what she had no idea.

“Are you alright?” Rachael asked with worry, looking at her.

I think so.” Crystal replied.

She could feel her heart melt a little with happiness. It was indescribable, having someone who cared about you in that way. She felt herself blush a bit, as Rachael gently took her hand, looking at the array as the glow slowly faded. She’d be more than happy for her to keep holding it forever.

“It’s some kind of repair array, aligned with the sun and mana itself.” Rachael gave her a questioning look. “Did something just happen?”

Crystal nodded. “Velvet sent us a message. The one who we’re apparently the champions for. Amongst everything else, someone called Myne is looking for us.She then did her best to relay the conversation to Rachael, or at least the overall gist of it. Some things are easily forgotten, especially when you’re not actively trying to remember it.

Rachael gave a weird face. “Hmm...” She then shrugged. “Any idea where we are?” She then asked.

That’s right. Rachael had said that Angel had been trying to relocate them. Though it appeared that they were by themselves now, just as Velvet had said. Well, the two cat-foxes were also present, but they didn’t really count. She was grateful that her and Rachael hadn’t been separated again. Reluctantly letting Rachael’s hand go, she looked around them.

At least they hadn’t been dumped in front of a whole lot of people. That would have been somewhat awkward to explain away, and probably generated a whole lot of unwanted attention.

I think you’re both going to generate a whole lot of attention anyways...” Spectre unhelpfully observed. He was probably right though.

They had however been deposited in a town. A rail yard to be exact, and it was familiar. Nothing seemed to have changed much since the last time she was here, sans the train she had been travelling on.

“I’m pretty sure that we’re back in Cannonsgate,” Crystal stated, hoping that there wasn’t anyone in the yard at the moment.

Cannonsgate it definitely is. The coordinates are exactly the same.’

You know, for a town founded 300 years ago as a centre of trade and exploration,” Rachael observed, “it doesn’t seem that impressive. Especially not compared to Brightswater.”

Rachael had a point, even if Crystal hadn’t seen Brightswater. She hadn’t really thought about it last time she was here, but it really did seem under developed. Perhaps all their efforts went to the excavations instead of the town itself. This place gave her bad memories though. Okay, it was only one memory, and not even from a resident of the town, but it had really tainted her view of the it. She wasn’t sure if she’d ever shake it.

We probably shouldn’t stand here any longer than necessary,” Crystal said, starting to move in the direction of the station platform. “We’re going to look really out of place with no trains here.”

Rachael chuckled. “That probably won’t be the only reason.”

Since we’re here, we should probably try and investigate where Sean’s cargo came from,” Rachael then said as she followed. “Do our bit while we also try and work out what has happened to the others, and wait for Myne to find us. Of course that depends on what we learn.

Sounds like a plan,” Crystal agreed. She really didn’t want to be idle in this place. Anywhere else, she’d have quite happily lounged with Rachael for any length of time, but here she just wanted to be active, and then away from it. However given that it was already afternoon, they might end up here longer than she wanted. She also wondered what had happened to the others, and hoped that they were alright. There was hidden connotations to what Velvet had said.

while there will be influences,

all are free to choose their own path.

They made their way across the rail yard and around the train station, then on to the dirt road that led into the town proper, without encountering a single soul. Obviously there was no need to have anyone there when there wasn’t a train passing through, and even if they didn’t know the schedules of the trains, they would have been easily able to see them as they approached the town, giving them plenty of warning.

The town square was a lot busier than last time she had been here. Crystal could count at least seven wagons sitting at various positions around it, and the patrons of the tavern spilling out onto the street where a number of table and chairs had been set up and occupied. People milled around the other stores as well, and like those at the tavern a large number of them were wearing leather or chain armour, weapons strapped to their back or sheathed at their sides. Crossbows, axes and swords seemed to be the staples. No apparent love for spears or other more exotic weapons. A number of more provocatively dressed woman and the occasional man weaved their way through the people, and it was easy to guess what they were up to.

There was a small number of people gathered around the trees by the statue of Stephan Cannon and his fountain, having a heated conversation. The men were dressed in suits that sported only a little dust, black in colour as always seemed to be the way, with matching bowler hats, while the accompanying woman were dressed in flowing silk dresses, one in green, one in red, that hugged their upper body tightly with a very generous cut, while flowing out from the waist. Highly impractical for the current environment. Crystal was definitely keen on wearing a dress like that at some point, and she certainly had the figure for it now. She idly wondered what Rachael would think of it.

You could do better than that,’ Spectre commented.

True, she had seen much nicer dresses from her age, and she did wonder if it would be possible to recreate some of them as well. She should also find out at some point what Rachael’s choice in clothes was like, for Crystal to wear of course, as she realised that she didn’t actually know. She knew what she had seen Rachael wearing over the years, mostly exercise gear, skirts of various lengths with the appropriate tops, maybe jeans once or twice and ditto for dresses, but what you wore didn’t necessarily match what you liked to see being worn. Definitely true for heterosexual individuals, but it could well be the case for same sex pairings as well. Hopefully Rachael’s tastes fit somewhat with her own, though she could probably accommodate.

A group of kids were playing a ball game in the open section of the town square, between them and the fountain. A dozen in all, six each side. Crystal wouldn’t have pegged any of them above ten years of age, and the state of their clothes varied a lot. Some were from much wealthier families than others, but at least they seemed to be getting along.

The ball bounced in their direction, an energetic kick colliding with one of the older kids sending it spinning out of their field and over to them. Rachael stopped the ball with her foot, crouched down and picked it up, holding it out as one of the wealthier looking boys ran over to collect it. He looked down on them as he reached them, grabbing the ball from Rachael’s hands.

Hands off our ball, animal,” he said with venom in his voice.

Crystal had not expected that kind of attitude from a kid, feeling more than just insulted, and even Rachael looked taken aback, blinking in surprise.

“It’s dragon, child, dragon,” Rachael replied with surprising calm in her voice. That was not the answer Crystal had expected.

“Whatever,” the child said, his tone unchanged as he just stared at them. “Your still just an animal.”

Rachael gave a wicked smile and then gave a draconic sounding hiss, the kid suddenly deciding to turn and scamper away back to the game, his composure lost, a few of the other wealthier looking kids laughing at him as he returned. He grumbled something at them before passing the ball over as they resumed their game, a few glances still going their way.

Crystal didn’t even know how Rachael had managed to make that noise. It was a cross between a growl and a hiss, powerful and haunting, and also strangely alluring. The human voice wasn’t designed for those kinds of noises. Rachael for her part looked a little confused as she stood up.

Had more changed than they had realised?

“The brat was rather rude,” Crystal finally managed to say with a frown on her face, taking Rachael’s hand in hers. “That was completely uncalled for.”

“Yeah,” Rachael replied absently.

“It was instinctual.” Rachael then muttered, deep in thought.

Crystal gave her a questioning look.

There might be more meaning to those titles than we realise,” Rachael replied, seeming to come back to full attention, and giving Crystal a warm smile. “Time will tell.”

Rachael then pulled her in, giving her horn a quick kiss. Crystal felt a strange tingle. She certainly wouldn’t mind Rachael doing that again.

“Let’s hope that the rest of the town resident’s aren’t as rude,” Rachael then said, turning back to face the town square.


There was certainly a lot of people of people in the town square. A lot more than Crystal remembered seeing the last time that she was here. Many of them looked out of place too, especially the wealthy ones in suits and dresses by the statue. She was pretty sure that Clocky had said that most people had left the town and that it was a shadow of what it had been, which made it even more strange.

“Where do we actually start?”

“Not the kids, that’s for certain,” Rachael replied with a grin. “Probably not their parents either,” she then added, looking over at the wealthy group.

Who were also looking at them as well. The two woman were looking down on them with disdain, while the men in the group were looking at them in a way that Crystal wasn’t sure that she wanted to place, but it was making her uncomfortable none-the-less.

I would call that lust,’ Spectre (un)helpfully observed. ‘You are both rather attractive, ignoring the nature of the clothes that you are wearing, which probably just adds to the appeal. Then, judging by the kids reaction to you, given that they must view touched as lesser humans or worse, they probably see you as some kind of plaything or trophy. So, lust.’

Crystal felt sick and dirty. They could keep their eyes to themselves. Perhaps, if she had some interest in men, she might have felt flattered if it hadn’t been for their apparent derogatory racism, but she doubted even that. However she had no interest in men at all, and even when she had been one herself she had never looked at others that way. It was just wrong. People were more than that. She was more than that. And she would dress how she pleased, to please herself, and the one she loved. Others be damned.

And what was it with the apparent dislike of the touched? Fairweather had suffered because of it, though she had managed to grow stronger in spite of it. Touched had magic, which actually made them better than a normal person. If anything touched (and magic users in general) were the stronger strain. Did they fear them, and that was why they treated them that way, having the superior numbers?

exactly.

the new age has started however,

humanity is no longer exclusive.

the first have been born,

and a flood is coming.

Crystal almost stumbled. There were other races? That was so cool. She definitely wanted to meet them. Though, Clocky had made no mention of them, beyond Ferals and Touched, who were definitely still humans, just with magic. From what had been said about magic, it didn’t appear to be heredity, though she could be wrong.

heh.

“Did you talk to anyone last time you were here?” Rachael asked.

Crystal shook her head.

“Ah well. We’ll start here then. It’s as good a place as any.”

They were standing outside what was probably a general store or the like, given that it was named ‘Toureqe’s Supplies’. Unlike the clothes and pawn shop further around the square this one didn’t have a front window display or its wares, instead it was barred, with a faded and illegible sign sitting behind it.

A bell chimed as they entered, the interior surprisingly well lit, sunlight streaming in through numerous skylights. Packaged and tinned goods lined the shelves that crowded the floor space, tools, packs, and other miscellaneous hanging from hooks on the walls or stack on more shelves located there. While all the food looked new-ish, there was a layer of dust on much of the other gear. A solidly built man with thick beard that was tided into two braids like a Viking warrior (and hair to match) was sitting behind the counter. He eyed them up warily, frowning.

Don’t be making any trouble in here,” he stated as they walked up to the counter, briefly looking them over before making a show of sorting some stock behind the counter.

Crystal felt taken aback. That was certainly not good customer service.

“We’re trying to locate Sean Nobelesse...” Rachael started.

“Don’t know, don’t care,” was the man’s quick response.

“We can pay for the information,” Crystal tried adding.

He stopped what he was doing, and looked directly at them again. “As I said, don’t know, don’t care. Not getting involved in a Channeller’s family business. Now, if you’re not going to buy anything, please leave.

Rachael turned, shaking her head, and headed back out of the store, Crystal following.

The noise of the people at the tavern hit them as soon as they exited, food and drink now being served to those on the street. They seemed like a very happy bunch, and rowdy. Whistles and catcalls echoed in their direction as they walked past a few more stores, stopping outside one of the clothing stores. Belladonnas. The same clothes were on the mannequins as last time Crystal had been here; casual wear, armour, and the silk dress.

“Here?” Rachael asked. Crystal nodded.

It was and wasn’t what she had been expecting. Half the store was filled with racks of clothes, most of them rather generic with a small selection of the fancier stuff such as the silk dresses by the counter. Some new, some obviously worn. The other half was a wall of fabric along with a couple of tailors tables and associated equipment. She could see the bulkier machines through the door at the back of the shop.

Welcome to Belladonnas,” a cheerful voice rang out as a woman appeared from behind one of the racks of clothes. “What can I do for you today?” she asked, her smile then fading as she looked at them.

We don’t have clothes for your type here,” she then said flatly.

Rachael sighed. “We’re just after some information, on Sean Nobelesse.”

The lady shook her head. “Don’t know anything about him. He’s too wealthy to even consider looking this way. Wrong thing to be asking about.” She then made shooing motions with her hands.

They took the hint and left, Crystal feeling rather frustrated.

The more that changes, the more that stays the same eh?’ Spectre was right on point there.

“Third time lucky?” Crystal asked, as they stood outside the store, looking along at the rest of the stores on this side of the square.

Here’s hoping,” Rachael said with a half grin. “Why don’t we try the third store along then?”

Crystal chuckled. “Sure, why not.”

The third store along was a bakery, the smell of fresh bread and pastry's wafting out the door. It was too enticing not to go in.

“Do you have any currency?” Rachael asked, as they stood outside it. “I’m currently broke.”

“Yup,” Crystal replied. “I may have looted a jewellery store upon arrival,” she then added quietly.

It was Rachael’s turn to laugh as they entered the bakery. “Like a true adventurer.”

The interior of the store was a lot smaller than they had expected, two people side by side could stretch out and touch the walls. Crystal assumed that the remainder of the store would be the back area where production actually took place. A single row of wooden shelves was fastened along one of the walls, fresh loaves arranged along it, a glass cabinet sitting at the end with an assortment of sweet breads and pastries inside it. They looked really good, Crystal blushing in embarrassment as her tummy rumbled, reminding her that she was in fact hungry.

“Anything take your fancy young ladies?” an old woman asked with a kind smile as she slipped into the store front from the open door near the back of the store and made her way to the small counter beside the cabinet. Her grey hair was tied up into a bun, her off white clothes and face dusted with flour. She gave her hands a wipe on her apron, and sat behind the counter.

“How much for those two?” Crystal asked, pointing to a couple of twists that looked to have raisins or the like in it.

“Two copper,” the old lady answered.

“We’ll take them,” Crystal said, fishing around in her satchel and pulling out the coins. She had quite an assortment, but she really had no idea how much anything was worth here. She’s have to ask Fairweather for some lessons on that when they met up.

The old lady scooped up the coins and squirrelled them away, then pulling out a pair of wooden tongs from behind the counter she picked up the two twists and gave them to Crystal, Crystal promptly passing the first one on to Rachael. She did seem to recall Rachael eating something similar back in their age so hopefully she liked it.

“Thanks,” Rachael murmured.

“Dirty hands,” the old lady mentioned as way of explanation as she put the tongs back behind the counter. “Anything else I can help you with?” she then asked.

“We’re trying to locate Sean Nobelesse,” Rachael asked cautiously.

You won’t find out much about him dear. He was very secretive. Kept to himself, and made it known that others should keep out of his business as well. He was in town as much as he wasn’t.”

Crystal sighed internally. For someone who appeared to like to flout his position, why such measures. It did not bode well for whatever he was up to. Mind you, they had said that he had been experimenting on some form of magic, with touched as ingredients, and the potential connotations behind that weren’t much better.

What’s up with all the people in town?” Crystal asked. “There wasn’t anywhere near this many when I was last through.”

That rowdy lot? They’re from the Arwen site. They’ve finished their excavations there now, and will be returning to Brightswater with their findings when the train next cycles through.”

That might be longer than they anticipate,” Crystal mused. What with the train wreck and all.

What about those nobles? They didn’t strike me as the scavenging type.” Rachael queried.

I believe they’re from the sponsoring family. At least one of them is from the Arwen bloodline.”

Wasn’t there two active sites?” Crystal asked. She was certain that was what Clocky had said.

“Indeed. The Sebastian’s are sponsoring the other one. Haven’t heard from that one for over two weeks, not that we actually hear much from that one at all. Lots of folk went out to it though, so they must have taken a lot of initial supplies with them.”

“Where is that site located?”

“Half a days ride to the south east. There’s a road that goes to it.”

“That’s awfully close,” Crystal pondered. “How did it get missed when the town was founded?”

It didn’t. It was one of the first sites. Apparently they found a secret area in it, which is why they were revisiting it.”

“For reference, how far away is the Arwen site?”” Rachael asked.

“Five easy days ride to the west.”

Crystal couldn’t help smile. That sounded suspiciously like what they were looking for.

“Thanks,” she said to the old lady, before she then took a bite of the twist. It was soft and sweet, with a melt in your mouth flavour. “This is delicious,” Crystal said as she took another bite, Rachael also starting on hers.

“Take care you two,” the old lady said, watching them as they left her store.

They stood outside the store as they finished off the food, Crystal not caring how weird they looked, as one of the wealthy woman gave them a suspicious look as they walked towards one of the buildings from the fountain.

“We’ll try and find a ride out there,” Rachael said once she had finished her twist, “otherwise it’ll be a long walk.”

“Sounds like a plan” Crystal agreed.


The stables was located on the block behind the tavern, on the same street as the towns two inns, which they located by following the smell. There were more wagons parked up outside it, as well as over a dozen horses tethered to the railing outside it. A number of young boys and girls were busy bushing down the horses and giving them a feed. Asking one of the youths who was in charge of the stable, they were pointed to a man who was reclining in a chair near the stables office, hat over his head, quite possibly sleeping in the sun. While the kids clothes were dirty and dusty, this man looked rather clean.

“We’ve been told you’re the man to talk to,” Rachael stated once they were standing closer by.

“Hmm?” the man answered, lifting up his hat to peer at them from under it.

“We’re after transport to the Sebastian site.”

“Ain’t had anyone go out there for sometime,” the man replied, and then shrugged. “A half silver paid now, and we leave early morning.”

Crystal pulled out the coin, and flicked it to him. He caught it without changing his position and stashed it away.

“See you in the morning then,” he said, pulling the hat back over his face.

We have the rest of the afternoon and evening to pass then,” Crystal said as they walked away from the stables.

“Rough it or rent a room?” Rachael asked as she looked at the inns.

“A room of course.” The response was automatic. She’d had enough of camping out already and would love to sleep in a real bed again. She knew though that there would be plenty more roughing it to come, especially since they’d been brought here without any of their gear. At least she still had her satchel.

Let’s acquire a room then, if they aren’t all booked out by the rabble. We can do some training on magic there.

The two inns both looked very similar. Large and squat, two stories tall each. The ‘Elder Etcher’ and the ‘Laughing Key’. They chose the former, given that it looked to be less full from the outside. Most of the horses were at the stables as it was, so it wasn’t the best measure, but it sufficed.

The common room of the inn was empty, most of the people at the tavern instead. It was likely that the tavern also had rooms, but they were probably used for other purposes.

Umm... A room and evening and morning meal please,” Crystal asked once they reached the counter. The tall plump man behind the counter gave them a look over, his expression unreadable.

“Two silver,” he then said.

“Isn’t that double your rate,” Rachael stated with a frown, pointing to his price board on the wall.

“Last one left. Take it or sleep outdoors.”

He’s lying, not necessarily about it being the last one, but his reasons for the price.’ Crystal wasn’t at all sure what Spectre was basing that on, but she suspected he was right, and the innkeepers blatantness about it was grating. You picked your battles though.

“We’ll take it,” Crystal hurriedly said.

The innkeeper pulled a key out from under the counter as she placed the money there, putting it in the moneys place. “Top right, last door. You’ll be charged for any damages.”

They took the key and headed up. Even if they were being overcharged, the bed would be worth it. As long as it was up to standard.

And back to Crystal and Rachael.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Discrimination bites, no matter what form it takes, and it is a real pity that it exists in our world.

Lots of interesting things happening and eluded to in this chapter. Velvet finally has made contact with Crystal. Hasn't met them yet, but it is a start, and while more was said that what I wrote down there, the rest of it had deliberately been left out. No fear though, Crystal definitely remembers what the message was that was to be passed on.

Some of what Crystal hasn't realised yet will be obvious to the reader, as it has been explicitly said and hinted at, but I am sure she'll work it out over time (or perhaps not that much time) ^^ There are reasons for it all too, both in and out of the plot.

And yay :) a real bed.

Thanks for reading. Comments always welcome.

The next chapter (39 - Changes) will be up early next week.

37