Chapter 52 – City: Innerlands Variety
467 7 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 52City: Innerlands Variety.

Even in its ruined state, the core building of the temple complex was impressive. Vines had started to grow up its sides, long grass hiding most of the rubble from when it had been destroyed, but even so it managed to command her presence, declaring that this was the place that dragon familiars were born. It still stood over four stories tall, crafted from white marble, most of a stained glass window remaining, with imagery that apparently told the history of the clan. The rest of the complex was in surprisingly good condition if you ignored nature’s efforts at trying to take it over. There were stables and housing off to one side, and clusters of smaller buildings around the rest of it. Crystal guessed that there probably had been farmland on one side as well, but given that it had been empty for a decade that was long overgrown.

There had been an orchard at one point as well, and while it was now wild, it did provide them with breakfast. It hadn’t taken them much effort to procure some fruit, and Crystal currently sat beside Rachael under one of the trees, the cat-foxes lounging nearby. While there were many other things she would have preferred for the morning meal, the fruit was sweet and she was grateful for it. The discarded cores would probably just add to the size of the grove.

It was still early morning, the sun slowly climbing its way up into the sky. No clouds, so they wouldn’t be able to hide their approach towards the capital, though Crystal wasn’t sure why Myne would want to. The whole not doing stealth and all thing. Shuffling around, Crystal stretched out on the grass, resting her head in Rachael’s lap. She could quite happily lie like this for hours, staring up at Rachael.

“Cheater,” Rachael teased, tracing a line across Crystal’s forehead and up one of her horns. The sensation was more than just a little pleasant, Crystal closing her eyes and enjoying it.

“Oh,” Rachael suddenly said, pulling her hand back. Crystal opened her eyes and pouted.

“Your horns are glowing,” Rachael continued.

They didn’t feel any different to her, and there was no easy way for her to see for her self. She sat up, and turned to face Rachael.

“Oh. Yours are too!” she stated. Rachael’s horns did indeed have a soft glow about them, not like they were emitting light, but rather a visible subtle magical presence.

‘You’re bleeding excess magic through your horns,’Spectre observed. ‘It’s not the first time we’ve seen you both do that though. You did so as well when you were in the Nexus Temple itself. Something to do with your nature and higher magic environments perhaps?’

Crystal reached up, giving Rachael’s horns a gentle caress. They didn’t feel any different than normal. Well, maybe just a little softer.

“You can keep that up,” Rachael said with a seductive grin.

Crystal purred, leaning in and giving Rachael a deep kiss.

“It’s too early in the morning for that you two,” Myne declared, coming up behind them. “We leave in a few moments.”

Crystal lingered a little longer, savouring Rachael’s lips, before pulling away.


Agersdene City,” Myne informed them as the capital city came into view, Ashling starting his descent.

Even without the clouds, Ashling had still flown at height, the landscape a tiny map below them. They’d passed over another massive forest, the terrain after that rolling hills. Given how long the rest of the journey had taken, this leg of the trip was relatively short, and it was still morning. Mind you, either Ashling was travelling faster, or the Innerlands was quite a bit smaller than the Outerlands. Or perhaps both, especially since they hadn’t actually seen much of the Outerlands either.

The city was impressive, even from this height, though no where near as large as Brightswater. It was terraced, the city clearly divided into segments. At the highest point sat a sprawling palace, both familiar and not, seemingly crafted in both the style of their age and this age, a fusion of impossibilities, glinting in the sun. Crystal had no doubt that magic was involved in its construction, as there would be no way that it could exist without it, as it would have long collapsed otherwise. To the north west of that, one layer down, was what appeared to be another temple complex like the one that they had come from, and it was in a similar state, looking like it had been involved in a war. The big central building was in the process of being repaired, the workman moving over it looking like ants from this distance. The surrounding buildings were in various states, some looking inhabited, others vacant and messy. If anything though, it appeared to be even more extravagant, as would be expected in a capital. Against the south eastern wall, on the lowest terrace were three large opulent buildings, arranged in a triangular pattern, markets spreading out from them, that section of the city appearing to be the busiest. Beyond the market was a sprawling industrial looking section, and after that, and over the rest of the visible sections of the city appeared to be housing. Outside of the city walls were a number of smaller towns, farmland stretching around them. Satellite towns for the main affair she assumed.

“What are they doing here,” Myne muttered with a frown as they closed in on the upper terraces.

Clustered off to the side of the palace, in one of the large gardens, were half a dozen dragons, lounging in the sun, all looking in their direction. Crystal couldn’t help but stare. They were beautiful creatures. And small. Well in comparison to Ashling at least.

“We are so going to have a look at them,” Crystal stated with anticipation, seeing similar eagerness in Rachael’s eyes.

Dragons...” Myne just shook her head.

Ashling swooped down over the gardens and then up again, passing between the palace and the temple complex, before banking around the palace itself. It was even more impressive up close, a combination of glass, steel and marble, the faint aura of magic to it, small gardens planted in pockets all over it. Crystal could barely recognize any of the varieties, but needless to say they were all pretty and colourful.

Ashling had returned to the front, and she could see some guards scrambling towards the front entrance of the palace.

“Really? Showing off...” Myne stated to Ashing, before she started to form her wings of flame. “We’re dropping in now,” she then said as a warm glow enveloped them, Ashling’s form disappearing from under them.

Crystal let Ashling’s residual momentum carry her as she called her magic to her, forming her wings and tail, Rachael doing likewise. Cat-fox in hand, she then glided down in the direction of the dragon familiars, their eyes on them as she approached.

I think we’re going too fast,’ Spectre declared as Crystal levelled with the ground, curling into a roll as she tried bleed some of the speed. Recovering into a crouch, she spread out her wings, using them to aid her halt, stopping right in front of the dragon familiars, her nature on full display. She looked up at the dragon familiars and smiled, Rachael landing somewhat more gracefully beside her.

“I’ll admit it, you do look cool like that,” Rachael said with a smile.

Crystal giggled, standing up and giving her a kiss, before dismissing the magic, and turning to look at the dragons, who all looked back curiously at them. They were all different colours and sizes, though of a similar style to Ashling. The size different was stark. While Ashling stood around 6 stories tall, the ones here seemed to vary between one to two stories at max. There was a deep red one, a jet black one, a silver one with rainbow hues on it’s scales, two brown ones and one green one. Their shapes did vary a bit, some were a lot more angular than others, and the biggest one, one of the browns, seemed rather compact and muscular.

The silver one made a soft and whistling roar, an inquisitive greeting, before it brought it’s head down to their level. It was probably about half her height again, the rainbow hue on its scales constantly changing. Crystal attempted a roar back, hers rather soft and sweet, trying to return a friendly greeting, before she reached out, placing her hand on the dragons head. Like Ashing, it felt warm underneath its hard but flexible scales.

“Did I do that right?” she asked.

“Certainly sounded nice,” Rachael replied, also reaching out and touching the dragon.

“They’re beautiful,” Crystal mused. “Hard to believe that they’re manifestations of someone’s magic.”

“Especially Ashling,” Rachael said.

They’re friendly enough though,” Rachael added, as the green one, the smallest of the lot, nuzzled it’s head into her. Rachael patted it back.

Myne chuckled behind them. “Only for you too. Normally without the rider present, dragon familiars don’t let any strangers close. Even other familiars can be touch and go.”

As if to confirm what she was saying, the dragon familiars withdrew a little, eyeing Myne cautiously.

“Anyway, we came here with a purpose. Let’s get on with it. I’d rather not have to deal with that lot.” Myne turned, walking away from the palace and along one of the garden paths.

Crystal reluctantly stepped back, trying to voice a farewell, Rachael doing likewise, before the followed after Myne.

“Who do they belong to? Are they of this kingdom’s clan?”

Myne shook her head. “Did Clocky tell you much about the Clans and Guilds of the six kingdoms?” she then asked.

“No.”

Let’s just say that they are the true powers of the six kingdoms, their influence substantial. One Clan per kingdom, and numerous Guilds spread across them all. Except here. Their hubris led to their downfall, and the former Clan of Avaraline is no more. A few of its riders remain, but most here awakened in the last decade, and are part of a much smaller and unfortunately weaker Clan. The Daughters of the Returning Dawn. There might be some cult like reverence amongst them too.” Myne made a strange face. “For their involvement the Guilds also lost much of their power here, even if they have managed to stay independent.”

While the remanent riders still live in the palace when they’re in the city, the Daughters of the Returning Dawn are based in the capital’s temple, at least what remains of it. Their small number means that they can make do with what space is there, and a number of them are out around the kingdom at any time anyway. The Queen holds all the true power here however, so any delegation from other kingdoms will go to see her. As to what kingdom they’re from, I don’t know, nor really care. I don’t do politics or receptions.”

While I remember,” Myne continued, “almost everyone in the capital has some form of magic, most of it quite minor though. This is unusual for the Innerlands, however having said that, the existence of the touched here as well has greatly increased the percentage. Anyway, a good portion of them fall into one of two camps. Acolytes of the Dark Light, and Acolytes of the Morning Light. We used to call them cults, but no surprise they didn’t like that. They have a high reverence and adoration for the Night Crown and the Dawn Angel, the assumed sources of their magic, and they only just tolerate each other.”

“And the Dawn Angel is Velvet.” Crystal stated.

“Yup.”

“Who is the Night Crown.”

That would be a good question. It is possible that some may pick up your connection to Velvet though, so be wary.”

So while they shouldn’t have to worry about discrimination against the touched in the Innerlands, instead they might have to deal with a horde of cultists. Never a break it seemed. But it was what it was, and she wasn’t going to let that taint her first viewing of the Innerlands. Crystal liked what she’d seen thus far.

Myne led them through a rose garden, all in full flower, the variety of colours down right impressive, and past a low cut hedge garden maze that seemed to be more for artistic show than any practical purpose. They then passed through a pergola that was covered in white flowering vines, and along a more shaded path that went through a small grove of trees, coming out in a small cemetery that was enclosed in denser shrubs. It had seen better times, most of the headstones damaged and chipped, the crypt entrance at the far end partially collapsed.

“Really?” Rachael asked, the hint of sarcasm clear in her voice.

“Eh.” Myne shrugged. “We needed an entrance closer to the palace, and it worked.”

Myne walked up to the crypt entrance, the stone gargoyles staring down at her, wings entwined in vines. Motioning for them to follow, she ducked under the skewed frame and disappeared into the darkness. Looking at each other, Crystal and Rachael then followed.


While she should have guessed, Crystal was still surprised to discover that Agersdene City was built on the ruins of an older city, one from their age. While it appeared that Myne had little need for light to see down here, she and Rachael still did, Crystal’s orbs of light lazily floating around them as they followed Myne, illuminating structures that were all too familiar. At first it was just segments of buildings stuck in the walls of the tunnel, but after travelling down for a while full buildings began to emerge and soon enough she felt like she was walking through an actual familiar city, crammed into caverns or forming the passages in between them. Very much in the same ilk as South Mall that she had woken up in, but in a much more massive scale. She was pretty sure that the city on which the capital was built was a lot larger than the capital itself, and likely spread out underneath it well beyond both its walls and the boundaries of the satellite villages that surrounded, Myne confirming such when she asked. They also discovered that the ruins directly under the city was in layers, the magic that reshaped the world having done some funky stuff here. The leyline that flowed under the city was strong as well, and while not quite as potent as the one at the Nexus Temple, still reflected the potency of the magic of the Innerlands.

Do people live in these ruins?”

It certainly seemed plausible. A lot of the ruins were in decent shape, if somewhat forming a maze, and given the size as well it would easily be possible to hide down here if you wanted to stay out of sight or had no where else to go.

“Yup,” Myne confirmed. “Pockets in various areas, most in the outskirts though. Those who can’t or won’t find somewhere to live, as well as the shadier types. Some areas are classified as off bounds, though its not strictly enforced most all of the time.”

“Such as here?”

“Such as here.”

No surprises there. They hadn’t seen any other people as they followed Myne through the ruins.

I recognise these buildings,” Rachael said as they emerged from the remains of a university lecture hall, having gone down to the third tier of the ruins. “This was Merionoto University. It was where the Core had housed one of the branches of her priestesses, under the guise of cultural studies. There was an old temple on the complex that they used.”

“From your overseas trip?” Crystal asked.

“Yes. It’s rather distinctive, hence why I still recognise it.”

“Was this always in it?” Myne asked with curiosity, motioning in front of her.

At the far end of the cavern, surrounded by more modern university buildings, was a structure that looked entirely out of place. Crafted from dark stone, it had that ancient feel to it, intricate columns holding up a squat tiled roof of sharp angles. Numerous stone gargoyles adorned the perimeter of the building, rows of the columns encompassing the building’s interior, vines and branches etched into them. The remains of two stone statues stood on either side of the small door in the middle, now just two pairs of feet. Molten stone slag formed a skull and crossbones on either side in front of the statues.

Rachael shook her head. “No, never seen it before.”

It was however their destination, Myne heading straight for it. It had a sinister feel to it, and Crystal wondered what its original purpose had been. The small antechamber had exactly the same feel, one wall engraved with carvings of battles, the other with burials. The remainder of the building was one big chamber, the antechamber opening out just short of a large chasm that stretched right across the chambers width, a narrow bridge crossing the middle of it. Crystal could fell a leyline running through it, naked and unfettered, as well as something else that she couldn’t identify. On the other side, in the middle of the chamber stood a crystalline statue, a small dragon familiar just like Ashling, though ash grey in colour, sitting on its shoulders. At the far end was a large black marble statue, on which sat a woman, watching them as they crossed over the bridge.

“I knew you’d come straight back here upon your return,” she said with an amused smile as they passed by the statue and got closer to her.

She looked to be about the same age as them, which didn’t mean much as Crystal was certain that Myne was older than them even though she didn’t look it. She was pretty with a shapely figure, wavy long auburn hair that flowed down her back, fair skin, and rose coloured lips. One eye was sea green, the other sky blue. She was dressed in armour that appeared to be a cross between leather and whatever Myne’s was made out of, consisting of a brown snug fitting jacket, currently open at the front, over the top of black figure hugging corset top that showed off her cleavage. Tight black pants that could have been easily mistaken for jeans and modest heeled boots completed the outfit. She had dozens of earrings between her ears, and a single necklace with a black tear drop jewel hanging from it.

“I don’t do social,” Myne said with a shrug.

“Where have you been?” the lady then asked. “I suspect you’ll be better able to answer the delegations questions than I have been able to thus far.” She then looked at her and Rachael, surprise lighting her face. “You have brought back some curious companions Myne.”

Myne sighed. “Crystal, Rachael, this is Queen Alysia, vessel of Dusk. The real her too, and not a projection. Alysia, Crystal and Rachael, Velvet’s daughters.”

“Oh. You two have been busy,” Alysia teased, as she stood up and walked up to them.

Umm... Nice to meet you, Queen Alysia,” Crystal started, unsure what to actually say.

Alysia laughed. “No need for any formalities. I am only queen because I was forced to take the job. I’m sure Myne can tell you all about that. Alysia is fine. You two though are a bundle of surprises.” She gave them a good looking over. “You’re not Ferals. Nor are you fully human any longer either. Other-human? Demi-human? Meta-human? Do you have a term? I’ve never seen the like before.”

We might be the first,” Crystal replied shyly. Being the centre of Alysia’s attention was a little unnerving. Queen or not, she had powerful magic, though she didn’t possess the aura that Myne had.

“We’re Deep Dragons,” Rachael added. “Once, we would have used the term demi-human, but I think it’s rather degrading, even for races such as Elves and Dwarves. I’d rather just be thought of as one of the Races, or humanoid Races if the distinction is necessary.” Then to elaborate the point, Rachael’s wings and tails manifested, her horns glowing a warmer hue.

Alysia laughed again. “I think some people are going to be very jealous of you two. Your magic is nothing to sneeze at either. You easily overshadow the Riders. Very much Velvet’s daughters in that regard.

Crystal gave Alysia a look. “How can you tell?” Sure, she could also get a sense as to how strong people were, but from what she had gathered most people couldn’t tell.

Related to my aspect, though Lattice Souls and above can usually tell. If you leak magic, like Myne used to, or like your horns are currently doing, then that also gives people a vague indication, though in your cases the leakage is rather weak in comparison to what I can actually sense.” Alysia then looked at Rachael. “I haven’t seen that style in a long time, nor talk of Elves and Dwarves. But that is a topic for another time. I am privileged to meet you both.”

“However back to the matter at hand.” Alysia turned back to Myne. “What exactly is going on?”

“That depends,” Myne answered. “What are they doing here? The other Clans have been largely leaving us alone.”

“Something is happening. Something big. They can feel it, movements and emotions that no one seems to be able to pinpoint. Something is in the air, and it all points in this direction. Lattice Souls most keenly, but even the Ferals and Riders. Given what happened last time, they think that we’re up to something.” Alysia sighed. “And to top it off, I’ve had a vision, and you were in it, along with a whole lot of people I didn’t recognize. Till now. They were in it too.”

Things are indeed happening and changing. Not that most of it matters to me. I just want Velvet back. You want more answers, and I’m hungry. It’ll have to be a trade.”

“You didn’t feed from those two? They’d have easily sated you.”

“Not happening,” Crystal and Rachael stated in unison.

“Yeah, that,” Myne said with a smile.

They’re sensible at least,” Alysia said with a cheeky smile. “You should have fed before you left. It’s been what, a year since the last time? And I never ask for anything.

Reasons...”

Alysia laughed. “Fine, let’s get this over with.”

Alysia pulled back the collar of her jacket as Myne stepped up to her. Placing her hands on Alysia’s shoulders, Myne leaned down, barring her fangs, and bit into her neck. Alysia close her eyes, giving a quiet contented sigh, but the look on her face said that it more than that. Not pain, but pleasure, reinforcing Crystal and Rachael’s decision that they’d made not to fed her at all. Pleasure was theirs alone to give to each other.

Once Myne was done, they talked. Myne started off detailing the start of her journey, sensing Velvet’s magic and her hunt for them. Rachael added in additional details about what they knew about the Ancients, Angel included, though they left out any details of Velvet’s plan. They also talked a bit about the Outerlands, what it was like there, Channellers, and the Touched. Alysia seemed rather interested in their completion and the arrays stored in the cat-foxes, and curious about the events that followed. Putting all of the timing together, it did indeed seem that the movements that those in the Innerlands were feeling had started manifesting at the exact point that they had been made complete.

Hmm,” Alysia stated once they had finished. “Without seeing Abigail directly I’m not sure if I can do much more than you have with her. Would have been nice to see the transformation array, but it’s no surprise that it’s been removed. Given what it accomplished with just those two, imagine what it could do right across the world. It’d transform it completely! Perhaps though that is part of what they’re all feeling. That, and the Ancients themselves.”

“The vision is starting to make more sense though,” she added, absently caressing the bite mark on her neck. Alysia looked thoughtful for a few moments.

The delegation does need answers though, and it’s only fair that we tell them some of what you have told me. Changes are afoot, and they will need to be prepared. Probably just about the Ancients and the appearance of other races though. Perhaps also that Velvet will be returning, since Touched are a thing here as well. Everything else they do not need to know.”

She then looked at them all. “I would like you two to be involved, please. It’ll add weight to what is going to be said, especially about the races. You too Myne, I’m sure you don’t want to let them out of your sight at this point in the game.”

Crystal nodded. “That we can do.” She was also very curious about the Dragon Riders.

Yup,” Rachael agreed.

Myne rolled her eyes.

“However,” she then stated, “there is something that we need to do here. We did come back for a reason. Once that is done, we will meet the delegation.”

Myne then turned to face the statue. “Wake up Light.”

The little ash grey dragon opened it eyes, intelligence sparkling behind them, giving them a smile, before it stretched it wings and lifted itself into the air, landing on Rachael’s shoulder.

“Dragons,” Myne muttered amused. “It’s time to move to phase two,” she then declared.

-That it is.-

A bit more of a look at the Innerlands, and what it is like.

The plan is progressing along well, and without any hiccups they should be back with the others on time. As to the delegation that they have to meet now... we shall see ^^

And yay for dragons. Of course Deep Dragons would find dragon familiars beautiful, but Crystal & Rachael would have done so anyway even without the racial element.

As always thanks for reading. Comments welcome.

The next chapter (53 - Delegation; no surprises there with the title) will be out later this week.

26