Chapter 53 – Delegation
429 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sorry for the lateness of the chapter. I usually try to have it out before now, but sometimes things happen. But here we have it ^^

Chapter 53Delegation.

Crystal stared at the crystalline statue in wonder. It was both entrancing and disturbing at the same time, given that it apparently had once been a living breathing person. As to what it was now, she didn’t actually know. Sure, it looked like it was made completely out of a dense material whose structure was highly ordered, refracting the light of her orbs into entrancing rainbows on the walls of the chamber, but it had come about because of magic, and in theory the reverse was true. Was Velvet still actually in that shell at all, given that she seemed to be somewhere else at the same time as well? When she had heard her voice, she knew instinctively that it had not come from the statue at all.

-Yes and no.

Like everything else, it’s a complicated mess.

It’s still a part of me, a focus, just like Ashling and Light are,

yet the core of me, what I identify as me, my soul per se,

is here, in the Shadow Realm.

Though even saying it like that is a simplification.-

The image of the person that the statue took was beautiful, and finely detailed. Soft and alluring facial features, a warm smile on her face, voluminous hair that flowed all the way down her back. Long legs, slim figure and a full chest. She was wearing a dress that was not dissimilar to Crystal’s armour. It was short, finishing high on the legs, and figure hugging. Armour that spoke of dragons protectively cupped her chest, though still revealing plenty of cleavage, also forming similar styled protection over her shoulders and left arm, and knee high heeled boots. A chocker style necklace went around her neck, meeting up with part of the dress that had decided to reappear up there.

-It was a beautiful dress too, a gift from Myne.

Then it got destroyed in the battle against Sorene-

Crystal got the distinct impression that Velvet was pouting. She could understand that though.

-The version that I was wearing at that point was actually recreated out of my magic,

to augment my dragon bone armour.-

-We digress though.

The array is ready, but I won’t affix this one to you like I did with the last one.

Let me know when you’re comfortable to start and I’ll attempt to channel it through you.

It should be doable, given that you are my champions.-

Crystal was grateful for that. She’d never really been a tattoo person, and while she understood the utility and practicality of the two arrays that she currently had on her hands, she would quite happily go without gaining any more. She was also kinda hoping that what Rachael had postulated about them disappearing once the arrays were fully internalized was true. Time would tell on that one.

Velvet says that she is ready,” Rachael stated.

“To me as well,” Crystal confirmed.

“It seems that even with the length of your tale there is much that wasn’t said.” Alysia gave them both a look. “You’re in contact with Velvet?”

It’s complicated,” Rachael said with a grin, beating Crystal to it. This won’t take long, but won’t the delegation be missing you? It was a bit of a walk down here, and Ashling was seen flying over the palace. Surely his presence isn’t a normal event either.

Alysia laughed. “They don’t need my presence to stew and gossip, but my being there does keep them out of trouble, and Ashling’s return has indeed sparked some activity. Myne did spoil it though; I am indeed up there at the moment keeping them occupied, or more precisely a projection is. They can’t tell the difference between the two."

That was certainly a useful ability, though not surprising given the power she had. Running two bodies at once couldn’t be easy, even with magic. Mind you, Crystal didn’t actually know how the magic worked, and for all she knew it could actually be quite easy.

Walking slightly closer to the statue, Crystal gave it one last glance over, before kneeling down in front of it, her palms on the ground in front of her, Rachael echoing her on the other side. Light and Ashling them sat between the two of them, wings tucked back as they curiously looked up at the statue. As soon as everyone was in position Crystal could feel the rush of power through her, similar yet different to her own, but magnitudes more powerful. Even more so than Myne’s, and hers was terrifying in the first place. Arrays spread out from her and Rachael’s hands, surrounding them, the dragon familiars, and the statue, the runes and inscriptions hideously complex, yet some aspects of it looked vaguely familiar. Energy arched over the statue, a warm and caring sun yellow, before the light enveloped all five of them. Crystal could feel the energy washing over her, and then course through her, her body relishing the energy and taking some of it for itself.

-Sorry. That must feel kind of weird.

Probably familiar at the same time as well.

Interestingly enough, both of your affinities for magic is ridiculously high.

Combine that with our alignment with the leylines...-

Crystal got the distinct impression that Velvet was smiling, amused with something.

-Anyway, thank you both.

I leave Avain in your hands.-

A soft trill echoed through the chamber as the magic slowly faded, the statue gone. In it’s place sat a small crystal dragon, almost identical to Light and Ashling except that it was slightly bigger, and did indeed appear to be formed entirely from crystal. Stretching it’s wings, it gave off another trill before it gracefully launched itself into the air, flying over to Crystal and landing on her shoulder. It was slightly heavier than Ashling as well.

“Crystal and the Crystal dragon,” quipped Myne with a smile.

Her name is Avain,” Crystal replied, as she stood. She gave it a gentle scratch beneath it’s chin, Avain leaning into it.

The small creature was very beautiful, just like Velvet’s other familiars were, yet this one also carried significant metaphorical weight with it. It was literally a key, as Velvet had name it, which meant that they couldn’t let any harm come to it. Just as it looked, it was still formed from crystal, it’s body solid, the warm and powerful magic that flowed through it giving it life. Crystal had no idea how hardy it actually was, but that wasn’t something that she ever intended to test out.

That was... interesting,” Alysia commented, and thoughtful expression on her face. “Come, let us head back up. I have informed the delegation that you are on your way.”

Fine, fine.” Myne sighed, stretching as Ashling perched himself on her shoulder, Light settling comfortably on Rachael’s shoulder again.

“Don’t worry, you’re not forgotten,” Crystal said with a smile, picking up Spectre and giving him a quick kiss on his head before cradling him in her arm.

So you say,’ Spectre mentally huffed, though he looked rather comfortable in her arm, tail gently wagging before he caught himself and tucked it around him.

“Do you think you’ll still keep this as your home?” Alysia asked as they made their way across the room. “The statue was your main reason for doing so after all.”

“No,” Myne answered. “this place holds too many bad memories. As to where now, that we will decide together once she’s back.” Myne stopped, turned and gave the room a flourish. “Farewell, accursed lair.”

“However,” Myne continued as they reached the bridge that stretched across the chasm in the room, a highly unusual feature as far as Crystal was concerned, “this might be an issue.”

Alysia stood on the bridge, looking down. “Most would have no idea nor be capable of abusing it. However, I do know an earth aspect that owes me a personal favour.”

I want to try something,” Rachael murmured as she stopped in the middle of the bridge. “Can I have a little space please.”

Crystal stepped back a little as Alysia and Myne finished crossing the bridge, and watched with fascination as a small fragment of the magic of the leyline below swirled up to Rachael, the only indication of its presence the slight shimmer in the air. Rachael pulled some of it to her, shaping its form, before she draped it over her shoulders like a cape, the magic flowing over Light, Kitsune watching her intently from her spot on the bridge. The cape then faded as Rachael released her hold on it.

“Okay, done,” she said with a smile.

You two are certainly full of surprises,” Alysia commented as they finished crossing the bridge, all of them heading out of the chamber and back into the subterranean ruins.


It didn’t take them long to make their way out of the ruins, Crystal happily absorbing the sun’s light as they re-emerged from the crypt. Avain sparkled in the light, the suns rays refracted into an array of glittering colours, the headstones and bushes all painted in rainbows.

“This could be an issue,” Rachael observed, her face and body a riot of colour as stepped up to Crystal.

It has it’s perks,” Crystal teased, gently tracing the colours along Rachael’s face with her fingers.

Avain cooed, Crystal feeling the familiar borrow a little of her magic as her scales seemed to shift ever so slightly, the light show quickly diminishing, then ceasing, Avain’s body instead starting to warm up before she then started to give off a soft glow.

“Are they always this touchy-feely?” Alysia asked as they resumed walking.

Myne chuckled. “Yup. At night though is a whole other story. Makes me and Velvet sound quiet.”

Crystal went beet red, Rachael giving off an innocent whistle.

So who's in this delegation that we’re going to see, and where are they from?” Crystal asked, trying to steer the conversation elsewhere.

They’re from both of our neighbours, the Southern Peaks, and the Empire of the Nine Citadels,” Alysia answered. Let’s see, Lady Knight Asher, and hatchlings Coorie, Ueana, and Fleur from Armer’s Brood. You’ll instantly be able to work out which one is Asher, she’s rather tall and dominant. The hatchling’s armour all reflect their familiars, brown for Coorie, red for Ueana, and green for Fleur.

“Armer’s Brood being the Dragon Rider Clan from the Empire,” Myne added. “That’s not their official name though, it’s the rather boring Sisters of the Nine Heights. They got nicknamed Armer’s Brood after one of the earlier Lady Knight’s and it stuck. They even renamed some of the lower ranks to suit too.”

Alysia nodded. “Senator Carlos Carrot is also with them. From the Southern Peaks we have Lady Knight Starlight, and Sister Kyril of the Sisters of the Cleansing Frost, as well as Prince Naquith and his personal guard Dion. You should have no issues working them out either, especially as Starlight is not her real name, not that many know what it actually is.

“The were-bear prince?” Myne asked with an amused grin on her face.

“The very one.”

And when are you going to start a family? Won’t the nobles have started complaining about the lack of any heirs?”

Alysia rolled her eyes. “I don’t think it wise to start another royal line. At least not yet, with the land still recognising Katherine. People still whisper of her, seeking her return, even after they forced me to take the crown. They didn’t realise what they were asking, but I have time on my side.”

“Still no sign of her?”

Still no sign. Kyla and Melody still keep their ears open, but wherever she is, she’s been kept out of the public eye for the last decade, which isn’t something to sneeze at. And of course the other kingdoms are still unwilling to rat her out.”

“And it may be even worse than that,” Myne added with a frown. “That though is a topic for another time.

The dragon familiars of the delegation were still where they had previously found them, lounging in the sun in the palace’s garden, though this time there was also someone with them. A young woman, with her eyes closed and her head resting against the head of the deep red dragon. Crystal would have pegged her to be in her early twenties. She looked fit, a lean body with a hint of muscle, radiant rose-blond hair that sat just below her shoulders. She appeared to be wearing some form of skin tight black lycra catsuit, over which she had deep red armour, which would mean that she was Hatchling Ueana. The armour looked organic, somewhat similar to bone, seamless, and fitting her form perfectly, covering her chest, shoulders, arms, as well a pair of knee high heeled boots of the same material. If it hadn’t been for the layer underneath, the armour would have been rather revealing. Even so little was left to the imagination, though no worse than what Myne or Rachael was wearing.

dragon bone armour, part of a riders magic.

and yes, it’s a trend,

most dress in a similar way, with similar amounts.

the bone armour isn’t that flexible,

unless they are one of the rare ones,

but combined with the body enhancing magic and skeon material,

it becomes quite a defensible package.

 

arma dea is far superior,

as is your lovers blend, when merged with her magic.

the benefits of powerful magics.

Ueana opened her eyes and looked up at their approach, a look of confusion on her face.

“Queen Alysia,” she managed, trying to compose herself. “I didn’t notice your approach. I’d thought you were still with the others.”

“Indeed I was, Hatching Ueana.”

Ueana’s blue eye’s went wide as she took the rest of them in, her mouth open as she attempted to say something to them but failed. Crystal walked up to her, placing her hand on Ueana’s dragon’s nose, giving it a pat, the dragon rumbling contentedly in response. The silver dragon then bent it’s head down to her, and she also gave it a pat, eliciting a similar response.

Your dragon is beautiful,” Crystal said, giving it another pet. “What’s her name?”

“Umm... Callisto,” Ueana finally managed. “How are you even managing that?” she then queried.

“She’s a dragon,” Myne stated with a ‘shouldn’t it be obvious’ tone, “and also quite oblivious to the ways of the Clans. Which is a good thing.”

Oh, sorry. Should I not be petting her?” Crystal asked worriedly, stepping back.

I don’t think there are rules against it,” Ueana said, managing to compose herself again, “because usually none other than the rider themselves can get that close to a familiar to do so. Even with the rider present, they have a tendency to snap and growl if anyone tries to touch them. Callisto seems to like you though, as does Lady Knight Starlight’s dragon.

“You’re really a dragon?” she then asked.

Crystal gave a small nod and smile. “Deep Dragon.”

“How is that even possible?” Ueana started.

“We’ll explain inside with the others,” Alysia said, motioning for them all to head to the palace. “Lady Knight Asher might get a little miffed if you learn everything before she does.”

“Oh. Umm, yeah. I’ll let them know you’re coming.”

Actually, we might hold the discussion out here. Let Grivene know, and she’ll pass the message on to Lady Knight Starlight.”

Okay.” Giving her dragon a quick pat, Ueana turned and scurried back to the palace, quickly disappearing inside.

“Where are your team mates?” Myne asked of the Queen as Crystal went back to petting the dragons, the silver one quite keen for her attention, and Crystal quite happy to oblige.

Laphir is currently with Arnold at Port Muir, trying to locate a shipwright. Shino is in Mattersgrove trying to hurry along the construction of a new dry docks there.”

“Your not-husband and royal advisor both on the same task, and fire-boy on a related one. It must be important. Vision related?”

Alysia rolled her eyes at Myne. “Yes, vision related. You related too I believe, though I will not talk on it.”

“Hmm. Curious.”


Crystal and Rachael peeled themselves away from the dragon familiars when the delegation finally appeared out of the palace, Rachael having joined her petting of them. Not only were they beautiful creatures, they really felt like kin, in a strange way. There was ten in total, Ueana near the back. Crystal had half expected just the two Lady Knights, with the Senator and Prince, but apparently the entire delegation was going to be in attendance. It made her feel a bit nervous. There would certainly be more questions about her and Rachael, especially as it was going to be a rather important point to the discussion.

Just as Warrior had said, there was an overall trend to their attire, some of the riders with even less armour than Ueana, though all were wearing the black Skeon, as she’d called it. Crystal noticed that none of them sported any weapons.

like you, they can summon their weapons,

though theirs is formed each time from their magic,

and usually made of the same bone as their armour.

As Alysia had said, Lady Knight Asher was easy to pick out. She was tall, probably about Alison’s height, heavy set, and looked to be in her mid fourties. Her brown hair was weaved into a pair of braids that ran along her head and then down her back, her eyes a matching brown and her face set into what appeared to be a permanently serious expression. She had earthy brown bone armour covering most of her body, only her waist, upper chest and hands bare. Crystal was pretty sure that the largest of the dragons, the brown one, was hers.

Trailing Asher were three younger riders, one of which was Ueana. Of the other two, one had a green tinge to her armour, the other brown. Which would make them Fleur and Coorie. Fleur looked to be slightly younger than Ueana, long loose flowing black hair, green eyes, her green tinged bone armour forming thigh high heeled boots and covering both arms from the shoulders down to the wrists, the rest of her just covered by Skeon. Coorie on the other hand looked to be about their age. She had dusty brown hair and matching eyes, and her armour had a brown tinge, and formed a form fitting breast plate, scaled short skirt made of tiny overlapping scales, and the knee high heeled boots that seemed to be the trend. She was probably the prettiest of those from the Empire. All three had athletic figures.

Walking beside Asher, doing his best to best to match her pace, was a man dressed in brown and green silks, like Crystal would have expected of a merchant. Which would make him Senator Carlos she guessed. His hair was a dusty grey, his figure could best be described as generous, though not as bad as Bowser’s, and he looked to be late in his years, so he definitely fit the stereotype. He did also have far too much jewellery on him, the number of rings on his fingers making Crystal cringe.

Lady Knight Starlight led the other half of the delegation, and matched her namesake. Her hair was platinum blonde with streaks of silver, very wavy and sitting just below her shoulders. Her features were sharp and striking, even elegant perhaps, her lips painted silver. She was only a little bit shorter than Asher, her figure lithe. She looked to be a good half decade younger than Asher as well. Crystal had half expected her skeon to be of a different colour given her name, but it was still black like the others. Starlight’s bone armour was a deep grey, speckled with silver and laced with rainbow hues depending on the angle that she stood at, forming a tank top, bracers, and a pair of ankle high combat boots, the only rider of the group that didn’t have heels.

The final rider, Sister Kyril, walked behind Starlight. Her skin was a light brown, the left side of her face covered in swirling tattoos, and with her scowling expression she looked mean. Kyril’s back hair had been styled into a thick mohawk, and her ears were filled with all manner of piercings, rivalling what Alysia had. Her bone armour was a shadowy black, not quite meshing in with her Skeon, but close, and took the same form as Fleur’s, covering her arms and forming thigh high heeled boots.

That left the prince and his guard, who were both trailing the group. The guard, Dion, appeared to be trying to get the Prince to walk a bit faster, but wasn’t succeeding. The only armed member of the delegation, sheathed longsword at his side, large heater shield strapped to his back, he had a sort of handsome roguish charm about him, not that had any effect on her. Short cropped blonde hair, chiselled features with a days worth of stubble, a well muscled and fit body. He wore a fine mesh chain shirt, combat boots, and what looked like leather pants, though Crystal could sense that both the chain and pants were heavily enchanted.

Myne’s nickname of were-bear for the prince fit him really well. Prince Naquith wasn’t overly tall, all solid muscle and of a broad width, a thick coating of hair on his exposed arms and chest. A pair of black bear ears poked out of his thick back head hair, which ran wild down his back. He was wearing a light t-shirt and pants, sandals on his also hairy feet. Crystal had expected that he’d have a beard, but no, his face was clear. The prince was most definitely a Feral.

The leading lady of the group, a middle aged woman dressed in a tidy servants uniform that Crystal assumed was Grivene, curtsied when they finally reached them.

My Queen, the delegation of the two kingdoms, as you requested.” Grivene then turned, making her way back to the palace.

Well I wasn’t quite expecting everyone,” mused Alysia, smiling at the group, “but that works out fine.”

Who are these people, that you have us come out here to meet, rather than they to us?” the oldest of the dragon riders questioned with a growl, glaring at Crystal and Rachael. Her expression seemed more curious than angry, though it still made Crystal feel nervous.

Those are unusual kin,” Fleur whispered to Ueana, looking in their direction.

“I don’t think they’re kin,” Ueana whispered back.

It’s a nice day, is it not, Lady Knight Asher,” Alysia finally replied, a cheeky grin on her face, before she then went serious. “I finally have some of the answers that you have been after, and thought it prudent to let know you as early as possible. I don’t intend to hold them up after all, as they have pressing business. This just makes it easier for any demonstrations, and your familiars seem quite happy with their company.

What, these Ferals?” Asher looked at Alysia with disbelief.

On a similar topic,” Senator Carlos piped up, “I was informed that a prime was spotted circling the palace not so long ago. Where is that prime and its rider?”

Ah, yes, Senator Carlos, the sighting was correct, although it was not a prime. Primes are somewhat smaller. Actually, thinking on it, I don’t believe they were ever given a designation, given that there is, and only ever will be, two of them. Perhaps Alpha-Primes would fit. They also aren’t actually the dragons of a rider. We shall come back to that, but don’t worry, you’ll get to see them before they leave.

“Let me introduce my guests. This here is Myne Hellfire. Former rider, and a key participant in the battle against the Demon King ten years ago. She personally fought and bested him in the final confrontation.”

How can you be a former Dragon Rider? Either you are, or you never were.” Lady Knight Asher scowled at them.

Alysia held up a finger, silencing both Myne and Asher before either could speak. “There is much that you do not know of the world, of truths that lie hidden. We learnt that ten years ago, when we fought the Demon King, and have been reminded of that again. What we learnt then we didn’t pass on, because we didn’t think it necessary. But the times are changing, and I don’t think it’s going to be isolated to just one kingdom this time, nor just the Innerlands.”

We never really talk about what happened to the Sisters of the Radiant Dawn, because it was a lesson that we didn’t want, and we know that the scourge that caused their fall had likely already seeped into the other Clans. Foolish? Perhaps, but we believed the other Clans capable of dealing with any issues with the Demon King temporarily out of action. Selfish? Definitely, but like all kingdoms, we have our own interests at heart. It also doesn’t help that particular people that we have been seeking remain hidden from us, protected by one of the other kingdoms. It makes us much less likely to cooperate when we know that it isn’t being returned in full.”

However, as you well know, I never lie. I may not answer a question, but when I do, it is the truth. If you choose not to believe what we say, that is your prerogative, but also at your detriment. Also, don’t piss Myne off. You are in the presence of powerful people. There are things more powerful than Lattice Souls, as evidenced by the pure existence of the Demon King, what was known as the Core, and the vision of the Dawn Angel.”

Fine.” Lady Knight Asher had a measured expression, carefully eyeing Myne. “So how then does one become a former rider?”

Myne formed the image of a dragon in her hands with her flames, highly detailed, but with an aura of sadness to it.

Dragon Familiar’s are not indestructible, as is commonly believed. Usually the only way to kill one is to kill the rider, which amounts to the same thing. Why bother trying to kill something that just won’t die, when the rider, the source of the manifestation, is a much easier target. It is both a strength and a weakness of the rider magic. We are awakened as warriors, trained as warriors and live as warriors, but I doubt few every reach the heights that the rider magic is capable of. While the dragons never forget, we often do, that we are part of the same person. In the thousand years since of birth, we have become complacent, often seeing them as shield and weapons rather than the friend and companions that they actually are. From what I have seen and learnt, those that achieve a true bond with their familiars will find that they both become greater than their individual parts.”

In the battles against the Demon King and his minions, two familiars were killed, and one consumed by the Demon King’s magic. My dragon, Vel’nas, was among them. I will not say how, as it is incredibly painful, and does a number of the riders magic. They cannot be brought back, and stabilizing the riders magic is not easy. The end result you could probably refer to as a Dragon Feral, but that is highly inaccurate, even if it’s the closest analogy you’ll get, as Dragon Feral’s aren’t a thing. The only reason we bothered mentioning it is to provide you with the warning. It is possible. And you’ve probably met one of the others as well, given that she’s been travelling outside of the kingdom, even though you might not have realised.”

That is a troubling revelation,” Lady Knight Starlight stated, finally adding her voice to the discussion, “and while I can see why you didn’t mention it, I do wish you had. However, as you say, Dragon Feral’s aren’t a thing; I myself have never encountered any. What then does that make you and the other young ones here then?”

Myne shrugged. “A stabilized former rider. Myself and my daughters are but one variant of what is possible, created by necessity and circumstance, the process carrying its own additional costs. I had once thought it the only option. Not now. However Crystal and Rachael here are not the same as me. Nor any of you either.”

“What kind of Feral are they then?” Senator Carlos asked.

They are not a Feral at all.” Alysia answered. “Once they were humans, now they are something else entirely. The first of their kind, and the first of the Other Races. Deep Dragons.

“Preposterous.” Carlos had the look of complete disbelief on his face. As did many of the others, though Starlight just looked curious, and Ueana was doing her best to keep a straight face. “Humans have always been the only sapient species, any variation being the realm of the Ferals, though always very much human. You expect us to believe otherwise, and that there is magic capable of this?”

Yes, I do. It is somewhat unfortunate that only those with strong magic seem to be able to sense their true nature, but that has long been the way with ranks and aspects as it is. A demonstration might help, but after that it is up to you whether or not your believe my words.”

Since we are already out here for that purpose, demonstrate away.” The Prince had a deep, joyful voice, his face breaking into a smile.

“Alright then. Crystal, would you like to pet Bonebreaker. You should easily be able to work out which one that is.”

“What?” Lady Knight Asher gave Alysia an incredulous look, her mouth remaining open.

Crystal wasn’t going to say no to the opportunity, and it wasn’t hard to guess what Alysia was up to. Even with all that she had been saying, there was still political games going on in the background. Alysia may have been forced to take the position, but from what little Crystal had seen, Alysia was good at it. Of course, Alysia also had the power to back herself up, something that most rulers probably lacked, and why Myne had said that the Clans and Guilds held all the true power in most places.

She had to restrain herself from laughing though. The name was both cliche and terrible, no offence to the dragon of course. She walked over to the cluster of familiars, stopping in front of the largest of the lot, the brown one, it’s power quite obviously well above the others. Callisto leaned her head back into her, Crystal patting it before she looked up at. While it wasn’t growling or trying to eat her as apparently they normally did, it wasn’t trying to be friendly. Unsure of what to do, she tried voicing a cooing growl, in the vein of what Avain had made earlier. It was a decent attempt, even if it didn’t quite come out the way she had expected. Bonebreaker looked down at her, as she got the distinct impression that if she wanted to pet it she’d have to fly up to its height.

Which was a slight issue. She still hadn’t mastered the art of flying. Rachael had it down pat, while she was still somewhat unsteady. However she wasn’t going to give up without trying. For herself, not for anyone else. Taking a step back, she summoned forth her magic, wings and tail materializing, the silver dragon responding with a rumble that spoke of approval. She gave it a hug, and then steadying herself she flapped her wings, launching herself into the air.

It went better than she expected, her ascent steady and measured, everything feeling so natural and right. Hovering in front of Bonebreaker she tried the coo growl again, the dragon’s eyes reflecting approval. Reaching out, she petted him, then gave him a quick kiss on his snout, before then flying back, dismissing the wings and tail and letting herself drop back down beside Rachael.

I don’t know if her mouth’s ever going to close,” Rachael said with a chuckle, pulling her in close, Crystal quite happily leaning in to her.

Prince Nasquith laughed, deep and amused. “Manifesting extra features is not something that I have ever seen a Feral accomplish, usually the best we can do is strengthen the ones we have. I have seen a Caster create his own wings, but that took an array and some time, not done on reflex. A Lattice could do both, assuming that it lay within their aspect, but never has there been one with draconic horns before, nor someone who has made the noises that she did. Finally Dragon Familiars are rather notorious for their anti-social behaviour to anyone that isn’t their rider or close friend of. Especially old Bonebreaker there, even I’ve heard of him. That is certainly quite a package, and I get the feeling that that is but a small portion of it. Deep Dragons they are then.”

All of the familiars were quite taken with her, even my Kat,” Lady Knight Starlight noted.

“They are all beautiful creatures,” Crystal murmured.

Lady Knight Starlight walked over to the cluster of dragons, Kat leaning down and nuzzling her rider. Starlight chuckled. “She definitely sees you as like them, and respects your power.”

So how did you become Deep Dragons then?” Starlight followed up, her face dropping to a serious expression. “I’m guessing that your going to say magic, as that’s the only possible answer. It’s the source that worries me. You’re going to say that it’s connected to what we’ve all been feeling.”

Yes, and yes.” Alysia crossed her arms, looking at the delegation. “From my discussions with the pair, I have determined that the moment we started to feel ‘things’ was the moment that they became Deep Dragons. The source, entities that we are calling Ancients. Concepts, emotions, states, and so forth. The primal elements of what makes the living world what it is, the Ancients are the embodiment of these. The power that protected the Core till it was shattered a thousand years ago, that was one. There are multitudes of others as well, though most we have no idea of. Arcane, Warrior, Taint. Those ones in particular are apparently somewhat active, and it is the movement and actions of them that we are feeling.”

Senator Carlos scowled. “You keep on upping the ante on what you are trying to make us believe.”

“Yup, that I am. Start with the small stuff, then hit you with the big. That’s the way merchants work isn’t it, though I guess you see us as now talking about the realm of gods. The bigger it is, the harder it is to prove. More so here with beings that don’t exist in the way that we understand. But they are real, they chose Crystal and Rachael, and made them what they are. I have no doubt that Crystal and Rachael even carry their blessings, perhaps even ones that they don’t realise.”

There is much in front of you that you don’t even realise. The Alpha-Prime that flew around the palace earlier? It’s been here the whole time, sitting a few feet in front of you, yet you don’t recognise it for what it is.”

Crystal couldn’t hide her smile at that one. It was a bit mean, as there was no real way of knowing, unless you already knew or had a hint, like what was given, by it was also perfect for the point that Alysia was making. They were letting them know what was going on, it was up to them whether or not they actually believed what was said. She did see a look of shock and then understanding on Ueana’s face, the rider then leaning in to whisper to Fleur, who went through the same cycle, muttering something back.

As to what the Ancient’s are up to, and their goal, we have no clue. Create more races? It is plausible, while they are the first, they definitely won’t be the last. That would be a fools belief. But I doubt that is their primary goal. All I can say for certain is that change is coming, for both us and the Outerlands, and more than just touched. Oh, and the Dawn Angel will be returning.

I’m not sure which I’m more worried about actually.” Lady Knight Starlight looked thoughtful. “The last appearance of the Dawn Angel shook the lands enough, once we finally realised what had happened. And now we might have to worry about god-like beings trying to influence things.”

“Not trying,” Rachael interjected. “The Core’s being doing that since for thousands of years.”

“Well, it is an answer at least. I’m not sure if the Council’s are going to be happy with what we’re going to be relaying back.” Starlight sighed.

Hang on, hang on,” Lady Knight Asher folded her arms, and tapped her foot as she looked at Alysia. “You’ve mentioned the Outerlands. Barely anyone outside of the Clans even knows or worries about its existence. What makes you think that that magic strapped wasteland is going to be effected by any of this? No one’s been there for over nine hundred years.”

Myne burst out laughing, Asher giving her a glare.

“Let me guess, we’re wrong on that too?” Nasquith looked at Alysia, then over to Starlight. “You’ll have to tell me what you know of this wasteland on our return trip.”

“Sure.” Starlight nodded. “I’m curious myself. I’ve heard almost naught of it, though I do know it exists. One of the original Lady Knights breached the Tempest Storms on her Prime Dragon, though as Lady Knight Asher said, that was nine hundred years ago.”

It indeed takes a Prime or larger to breach the Tempest Storms. It was done ten years ago, and then a few weeks ago, and then yesterday. However I do also know of one person who is able to bypass the storms entirely, and has been making frequent visits to the Outerlands over the last ten years, that power gifted to them by one of the Ancients.” Alysia then motioned to Crystal and Rachael. “And they both have come from the Outerlands, though they are an exception to those out there, and not the norm.”

That got them a round of stunned and surprised looks, even from Lady Knight Starlight. To be honest though, she didn’t know where they thought they’d come from. Surely if they’d already been in the Innerlands they would have known about all of this before now. Irrespective Crystal had a sneaking suspicion that they were going to be here for a bit longer than they’d originally planned. If she was in their shoes, and she decided to believe what had been said, there was no way that she wouldn’t want as much information as possible on the other half of the world, that had been largely forgotten about.

The complication of course being that they’d only been in the Outerlands for a short while as well.

Another mammoth chapter, this one is the second longest in the novel to date, just ~200 words shy of the longest. They seem to be getting longer as the story progresses, though the following few aren't quite at this length. This one did have the potential to get much longer, but I had decided that it was at that point already, and so it finished up here.

Yay, Riders. It's been a while since I've written about them, though they aren't the focus of this book. Do expect to see some more of them though once they leave the delegation (as will be hinted at in the following chapter), but some of that may end up being written as side stories. We shall see.

If there is anything in this chapter that is confusing / unfamiliar, let me know and I'll try and explain.

As always, thanks for reading. Comments are always welcome.

The next chapter (54 - Summons) will be put early next week.

24