17: Separate Ways
1.6k 19 69
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I watched the {Great Warrior} disappear into the storm before collapsing with a sigh. That fight was taxing; using so many skills in quick succession and running around paid a heavy toll on my body.

Noting I had some new notifs, I focused on the exclamation point.

Spoiler

For repeating a specific action, you have gained the skill [Double Strike]. Skill info: Two quick strikes that deal the Bleed effect on the first strike and, should the second strike land on the same spot, critical hit on the second strike. The Bleed effectiveness is 20%. Has a cooldown of 10 seconds. (Active, +2% effect each level). Costs 10 SP to activate.

For constant use of skills, [Thrust] has reached level 3. [Thrust] Piercing effect increased by 2%; Pierce's effectiveness is now 34%.

[collapse]

Has a cooldown of 10 seconds, huh. Wish I would've known that for some other important skills.

[Lesser Radar] pinged that someone was coming toward me but when I looked up, it was just Crystal. When she reached me, she held out a hand and helped me up.

"Thanks for the assist, by the way," I said, brushing the snow off my gambeson and pants. "I would've been done for without it."

She nodded, staring passed me toward where the {Great Warrior} had run off to. Pursing her lips, she muttered, "You're welcome."

I started back toward the wall, throwing my spear onto my shoulder as I walked. "You really should've seen me when I fought the other two invaders. My [Battle Sense] was amazing and-"

"Flake," she interrupted.

Here it comes. Turning to face her, I noticed she hadn't moved from her spot and was still staring out into the distance. "What are you doing?" I asked. "We've got stuff to do."

Crystal sighed and shook her head. "I'm not staying here."

I dropped my spear, astounded by her declaration. "Wha-but-you can't just leave!"

She scowled, crossing her arms as best she could with her gambeson. "Why not? There's nothing here for me, Flake."

"I...Well..."

She continued, ignoring my attempt to come up with an argument. "I'm wasting my potential here, guarding some uncaring noble and his gold. Why should I waste my life fighting for something that doesn't benefit me? I don't want to die for a cause I don't believe in."

"Death isn't even permanent," I protested. "And besides, you train with me and you'd get to fight a decent amount of invaders!"

"That's no way to live, Flake," she said. "This," she waved her hand helplessly at the keep, "that's not what I woke up for. That's not what you woke up for."

I frowned, not liking that last sentence. "What are you saying."

"I'm saying that you should come with me." She walked closer to me and grabbed my forearm. "Let's leave this frozen hellhole together, Flake. Let's go explore and find someplace warm to sleep and spend our coin on stupid stuff." Her eyes flared with the hunger of a starving man, desperate for something more than what life had given him. "Let's live the new life we were given to the fullest."

I stared at her, searching her pale white face. I hoped to find some semblance of the friend I thought I knew but, slowly, I realized this was Crystal. She was discontent with her life here; I knew that - that's why I tried to distract her by training. Apparently, I hadn't tried hard enough.

She saw the refusal in my expression and released my arm. "Really?" she said incredulously. "You'd rather throw your lot in with-with this?"

"All I've known is protecting the keep, Crystal," I sighed. "There's nothing for me out there."

"You don't know that!"

"I'm not a deserter," I snapped.

Her eyes narrowed as she stepped back from me. "No...No, you're a coward. Afraid to follow something new for a change."

Shrugging, I picked up my spear and turned my back on her. "At least I'm not a traitor."

To that, she had no response. I walked back to my post, unaccompanied. When I looked back over my shoulder, Crystal was already gone.

69