Chapter 11 – The worries of the Guild Master
3.2k 11 75
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Guild, it was a place for adventurers to take up quests and earn money. It is a dangerous job, to put your life in the line, but they do it to earn a living.

A couple of adventurers were talking about a rumor in the lobby. “Have you guys heard about the rumor?”, one of them asked.

“How could I not have. It could be heard all over the city, what do you think it was?”, the other asked with concern. There was a scream that came from the ‘Spirit Forest’, the adventurers started getting worried whether it was a monster. “Some say it was a demon.”, one adventurer said.

The quest that was requested by the King, was to burn the forest and subjugate the spirits in it. They requested light attribute mages and adventurers with the ‘Fire Attribute Magic’ skill, as well as spiritualists.

“You think somebody’s going to request a search?”, an adventurer asked as he looked at another one. “Most likely, the possibility that it’s a dangerous monster is low, but never zero.”

These adventurers were talking about the scream that came from the ‘Spirit Forest’, that even reached the cities in Dawnwell.

The Guild Master, Julius was concerned about the monster in the forest.

‘Could it be that spirit that those adventurers warned me about?’, Julius, the Guild Master asked himself as he looked at the same visage, outside his window.

A couple of weeks ago, adventurers were sent to the forest and came back with the news that there was an irregular spirit. At first the Guild Master thought that it was of no concern to him, however due to the recent cause of events, he thought that maybe the irregular spirit might be the one who screamed that day.

The quest was requested from the king himself, the Guild Master didn’t know what the King was planning. Yes, the king would gain terrain and a whole lot of trouble out of the way, but the kingdom was fine the way it was, and it needed not to get rid of that forest. So did the King do that because there was something in that forest or was it personal.

‘If the King did something to awaken a dangerous monster in that forest, then…’, Julius took that thought away and looked at the documents in his desk.

People were requesting to investigate the forests remnants and find the source of the scream and report it. The scream could be identified as a monster since everybody who heard got struck with fear and despair for a couple of seconds.

‘If it’s a monster, we’ll have to exterminate it immediately.’, the Guild Master, Julius decided.

 

 

 

The forest was burned all the way to the crisp, only some trees survived but the rest turned to ash and faded away. The fog was no longer as thick as before instead of being described as fog, you would rather call it mist.

In that place once known as the ‘Spirit Forest’, there walked a young lone boy that could be easily mistaken for a girl, he looked thin, fragile and weak. The boy had pure white skin like snow and white hair, his presence was as thin as air, but if you looked closely you could see his blood red eyes beaming through the gaps of his hair. You could see his sharp fingernails that were his claws.

Along the wretched path that Shiro walked on, while thinking about what to do.

‘Somebody’s probably going to search for me.’, I thought as I continued to walk on the path, every single step sounded like I was walking on sand.

Yesterday something terrible happened, something I could not forgive. The village was burned to the ground my friends were killed and I was left alone.

Now I am going to execute my revenge, for what they did to the village and my friends. I was filled with rage, however that does not mean I’m going to a human settlement and simply just attack out of rage, it would be suicide and senseless.

From what I can guess, the attack on the village and the forest burning must’ve two different things. Somebody or something must have used the forest burning as an advantage to attack the village.

It could have been a monster or a human, I only knew it’s that whoever it was they’re going to die.

The forest fire must’ve been done by humans or rather the guild, had it been one small flame it wouldn’t have reached that far, but the scale of the fire has already burned about two thirds of the forest.

It could not have been monsters who attacked the village, but the possibility of it having been monsters is still there.

I remembered what I did yesterday, I received a bunch of new skills and one of them was ‘Scream’, it probably increased the sound of my scream yesterday. It probably even reached cities, and even if it did not, it’s not bad to be prepared.

Iris told me about the existence of the guild, so if I had to guess, they will probably send a search team to come and find out who screamed yesterday. Even if I look human, they might perceive me as a monster.

Ghosts in this world are perceived as monsters by the guild, because most of them kill senselessly and only out of pure rage and hate.

So, I only have two options. One, I will go undercover into the city and search for intel. Two, I will hunt down the search team that will probably be sent to find me and interrogate them.

I would like to choose the ladder, but I do not know how strong humans are because of the status system in this world, better cautious than dead.

‘Thus, I’m left with only one option… huh?’, I thought when I saw a wolf in the distance.

The wolf did not notice me at first, but then he inspected me more precisely and started charging towards me. The wolfs speed was incredible, you could not see anything like this on earth.

As he started getting closer, I muttered. “‘Possess’”. Without a moment to spare, the wolf started spasming on the ground, his eyes were crying as if begging for mercy with everything its got. “You should’ve thought twice before attacking me.”, I said without a tinge of emotion.

The wolf, slowly stopped moving, showing the sign that it had died.

“I’m still not sure what ‘Possess’ does….” I thought out loud.

I looked at the corpse of the wolf, the unusual feeling that I had back when I went hunting was no longer there, or rather I didn’t feel anything at all.

I continued walking the path I was taking.

‘I have to get stronger, the way I am now I would probably be easily killed.’, If I ever underestimate my enemy I would probably die in just seconds. My status may say otherwise, but I am still a beginner so I can’t expect to fight against a veteran.

There was something bugging me, my new skills what are they for, how can I use them, how did I get them.

I only figured out ‘Dark Aura’ and ‘Scream’, however the rest is mystery except the skills I had before.

‘Dark Aura’ is always action, so of course I can see it. There were some black mist going out of my body, when I met some animals, they ran away from me, there were some who didn’t, because they thought they could defeat me. So, I tried suppressing it and it worked.

The ‘Scream’ skill simply just increases the sound of my voice.

These skills are quite useful, you can use scream to scare off enemies and dark aura can scare them off as well.

However, there was something that I didn’t understand. Why do I have ‘Jobs’?

Jobs are normally only allowed for humans to have, but I have it so… was there some type of glitch in the matrix? Maybe it was because my race changed.

‘Well it’s a good thing.’, I thought. Having jobs now, meant that I could get stronger and closer to my revenge. The thought of being able to make the person who killed them made smile into a small evil grin.

I received my unique skill, ‘Wrath’ I have no idea what it does nor what it can do. I wish I could know more. However, there are no answers as of now.

‘Dark Attribute Magic’ a new magic I have not heard the name of, Iris said there are only eight attributes of magic so is there a ninth? Magic is not exactly creating the attribute you have, you do not create fire, you manipulate fire. So, can I manipulate shadows or something?

I had so many questions, my greed for knowledge grows the longer I stay here.

“I need to get more skills.”, I talked to myself. In this world the status system is very important.

After a little while, I found a couple of mushrooms at the foot of a tree that survived the fire. I looked at the mushrooms as a dangerous thought crossed my mind, I picked up the mushrooms and inspected them.

‘They might be poisonous.’, I thought and then suddenly stuck them in my mouth and chewed them. They didn’t taste good, I felt the poison spread all over my mouth. I swallowed the mushrooms in my mouth, I didn’t feel anything until I started feeling something horrible feeling in my stomach. Pain was coursing through my body, as if it were on fire.

“Urg… hmph.”, I tried holding it down in my stomach.

If you are asking why I did that, it was because I was trying to get a resistance skill. I acquired the skill ‘Pain Resistance’ by receiving pain, so I thought if I ate something poisonous, I might get ‘Poison Resistance’. It was a long shot, but it might be worth it.

I tried continuing walking, while bearing the pain of the poison. It wasn’t too painful, however it wasn’t pleasant.

 

 

 

<< You have acquired the Skill ‘Poison Resistance’ >>

<< The levels of ‘Pain Resistance’, ‘Fast Healing’ and ‘Surpass Limits’ have increased >>

 

The poison died out and the pain was gone thanks to my skill fast healing and my resistance skills I was able to bare it.

I was going to the nearest town to get information, since staying in the Forest was a no go. I chose to go to the nearest town. Of course, I did not know the way to this particular town, but it was better than getting caught by adventurers.

And since the forests fog has started clearing out a little it was easier to see.

I suspected that if I arrived at a town, there would probably be guards keeping the gates. There could be multiple things that could happen. One of them is that they might ask for identification, since this world has magic, monsters and the status system I bet they could make something similar to an identification.

Another situation is an entrance fee. They might ask me to pay, but the thing is that I don’t have any money, so I have to think up something to get through if this happens.

I was about to reach the edge of the forest, where the fog is almost transparent. I passed through and was greeted with a sunrise in the far horizon, it was beautiful almost like a dream.

However, I didn’t care much about and continued forward to commence my revenge.

75