The Return of the Kairi
9.6k 34 197
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Sarah, may I look at that sword you made?” Alex asked as we were walking through the town. After the disappointing event we decided to go to the Adventurer’s Hall and grab some quests. We wanted to get our levels up for next week.

 

I opened my inventory and selected the ‘Eldritch Mind Slayer’ and summoned it to my hand. “Here you go.” I said as I handed Alex the sword. She took the sword in hand and inspected it, looking over at all the runes that were inlaid on both sides of the blade.

 

“These runes make this sword look pretty badass. I might commission you to enchant my weapon at some point. Hell, I would say we should get all of our gear enchanted by you before the dungeon event next weekend. It would give us an edge.” Alex was idly swinging the sword while speaking to us. “Huh? It seems I can equip this sword. I somehow meet the requirements for ‘Touched by the Abyss’.”

 

“I was wondering that myself mom. You made such a good sword, but it has a specific requirement. Can you also equip it?” Yuki asked as she was looking at Alex swinging the sword.

 

“I don’t know. Alex, can I see that sword for a moment. I want to check something.” Alex gave back the sword and then I ‘equipped’ it. I seeing as how it gave me no errors, I gave the sword a few swings. “It looks like I can equip it too.”

 

Yuki stood there with an inquisitive look on her face, staring at the sword as if it would cease to exist if she looked away. “I want to try and equip it too.” Yuki said coming out of her train of thought.

 

I handed her the sword and she stood there for a moment before she handed it back. “I can’t equip it. The ‘Touched by the Abyss’ requirement turns red when I hold the sword and when I try to equip it, it says Action Blocked.”

 

“So only Alex and I can equip the sword.” I said as I looked at the sword, trying to find meaning in it.

 

“Um…this might be stretch, but considering everything that has happened it might not be.” Naomi started to speak. “Both Sarah and Alex had encountered a mysterious dungeon that had given them powers and mystical eyes, right? What if that was the touched by the abyss thing?”

 

“That makes perfect sense!” Yuki exclaimed while her fist hit her palm. “There are several things we need to figure out with how mom’s enchanting works, but I am in the mood for some adventure right now.”

 

“Before you go, I have something to give to Sarah.” A voice called out to us. I turned towards it and found Eri in her disguise standing by us. She opened her hand and a familiar floating ball appeared. “I am returning your spark. After your abrupt dungeon expedition, she needed to undergo the equivalent of mental therapy.”

 

“Hiya mom!” The floating spark said to me as it…no I guess she, floated to me.

 

I confusedly stared at Kairi for a moment before I was able to respond. “Why mom?”

 

“It is because of you that I have been given life now. So that makes you, my mom!” Kairi said with a cheery voice.

 

Alex burst out into laughter as I glared at her with no effect. “It looks like you have a little sister Yuki.” Alex said in between snorts. Yuki let out a small laugh, which was not helping my case.

 

“I have a big sister!?” Kairi exclaimed as she zipped over to Yuki and excitedly floated around her head as if inspecting her. I shot a glare at Eri, but she was nowhere to be found. This is why you don’t give AI godly powers.

 

I threw my hands in the air and let out an exasperated sigh. “Let’s just go grab a quest to do.” I said to everyone.

 

“Ok mommy!” Kairi excitedly agreed with me, eliciting more laughter from Alex and Yuki. Though I could also see that Naomi was about to burst as well. “Not helping Kairi” I said to myself as I stormed off.

 

~|~

 

A man of Japanese descent was sitting in a lavishly decorated office. He was furious as he had thrown a small glass of alcohol at a nearby wall.

 

“What does he mean by Naomi was exiled from the family?” he asked out loud to himself. “All these plans ruined because he couldn’t control his daughter.”

 

Moments later the man sat down at his desk and pressed a button on his intercom. Seconds later there was a ‘click’ sound indicating it was answered.

 

“I will be unavailable for the next hour. Reschedule any meetings.” The man spoke to the device.

 

“Yes Kaito-Sama.” A woman’s voice responded.

 

Kaito sat back in his chair for a moment. Looked over at his phone on the desk and tapped on it, initiating a call. His phone was connected to a neural implant that allowed him to take calls wirelessly. His company was still developing technology that would fuse man and tech together.

 

After a moment his call was answered. “Hello mother. There has been an issue.”

 

~|~

 

Somewhere else someone else was having a bad day. A man in military garb, visible rank showing he was a general, was furiously yelling at some other people. “What do you mean subject zero has escaped!? How did it escape on your watch?”

 

“We found the body of a scientist, drained of all her blood. We think after she fed, she regained her strength and used her powers to escape.” A man wearing a black suit said.

 

“Deploy your teams and track it down. It may try to go back to its family. Keep them under surveillance. If you need to make its family disappear. We need to show it what happens when you cross me.” The General said as he turned and left the room.

197