CH 24: MAD REWARD
4k 17 117
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The very moment I executed that move, I felt like everything in my body was screaming in pain. 

I was sure that after this, I wouldn't be able to move. 

This move was one that required an extreme control of the body and was straining on the muscles and bones. 

As I was now, using it once or two was the maximum I was able to. That's why I keep it for the end. Elementary spell would have been useless against an Elite monster at F rank. 

After executing my move, I watched with trepidation as the body of the monsters, dangerously close to me, were slowly bisected. 

This was another problem. The range of this technique could reach 10 meters at minimum, but I could only use it at 5. If I were to use it against fast opponents, all I would succeed at would be to put my body out of commission.

It was a gamble, a risky gamble, but, as I watched the body of those goblin explode in fountain of blood and gore and, 

[Congratulations! Tenth wave passed. You have survived.] 

That blue screen shining in front of me, I couldn't help but smile. 

I succeeded, I killed them all, I won. 

*Bam*

I let go of everything and simply fell on my back. 

"Heh, Hehehe! Hahaha!!! This was the best!!" 

I couldn't help it. I was seriously happy. I have never felt so alive since as long as I could remember. 

I longed for this sensation, I wanted to feel my blood boil again, my heart seized in terror at the thought of dying, my brain entering in overdrive as it searched and searched for a way to survive and finally the gut wrenching feeling of not knowing whether all your efforts would succeed or fail. 

Ah~! 

I want more, I crave more, I need more. 

I calmed my beating heart and refocused on what was happening around me. 

I was still in that stinky cave surrounded by corpses of monsters and I still have a glowing screen in front of me. 

[Are you ready to receive your reward? Yes. No.]

"Yes."

The very moment I said that, a pillar of light fell on me from the ceiling, slowly lifting me from the ground. 

It was a soothing light. I felt as if I was sleeping in the most comfortable bed. But this wasn't all. I could feel my fatigue leave me and my wounds close. Even the blood that was covering me was being cleansed. 

Well, it was nice. 

[Recovery completed.]

The moment the light stopped shining on me, I was slowly put back on the ground. 

I inspected my body, and indeed couldn't find any wound on it. 

[Rewards are calculated according to the personality, actions, and way of fighting of the trial taker. A choice will be given.]

[....] 

[Analysis completed] 

[The trial taker is warned. Each of those rewards bare certain amounts of risk. Choose wisely or choose none.]

Wait Wut? What kind of shitty test was that? I did not bleed like a pig for so long for some weird ass rewards. 

[Rewards choices: 

1) Blood of the berserk dragon 

2) Essence of the Rakshasa

3) Pandora box

4) Tyrfing

5) Muramasa cursed sword

6) Lemegeton Clavicula Salomonis

7) Liber Al vel Legis: Necronomicon] 

… 

… 

… 

I looked at the list before covering putting my hand on my face, before shooting. 

"Hey!! What the fuck?! How come after analyzing my personality all the rewards I got are related to inducing madness curses?!!" 

No. Like seriously what the fuck? I was super sane OK? Or perhaps I was so sane they wanted to make me crazy? 

… 

… 

… 

 Yeah. Most likely. 

Since I didn't receive any response, I decided to at least ask for more information. After all, even though I knew the myth behind each of them, I wanted to be sure. 

[Blood of Berserk dragon and Essence of Rakshasa will change the race of the user to be that of those races. All the advantages but all followed by all the disadvantages.]

Welp. Rakshasas were crazy man eating monsters, and from Irene's  presence, dragon slayers were a thing. So nop. 

[Pandora box is an object holding all the curses of the world. The user can open the box only once since once opened, it cannot be closed. User will also receive the curse.]

Ohhh? This one was interesting. If I am going to die, I am going to bring down all the bastards with me. 

[Tyrfing and Muramasa are cursed swords able to cut anything. The first one, once drawn, must kill or the user will be immediately drowned in madness, the second one will gradually but surely bring its user towards madness.]

Slow acting, vs insta? Hum. Though Tryfing seems better, each fight will be a gamble. 

[Necronomicon and Lemegeton are two cursed grimoires giving the ability to make contracts with godly beings whose names were inscribed in. If the user of the book is deemed unworthy, a punishment will be received.]

Okay

I see. 

So, which one should I choose? 

What did I want? 

My choice would without a doubt be between the two grimoires and the two swords. 

If I looked at it carefully, Tryfing was without a doubt the safest bet. A legendary weapon that could cut anything. 

The sole flaw being that I needed to kill someone once it was used. The problem didn't réside in my willingness to kill. But rather the ability. The sword may be able to cut anything, but it did not particularly make me stronger. 

Even if this sword could in theory kill someone like Irene, what did it matter if I couldn't even touch her and that she could vaporise me with her spell. 

Now, those two grimoires. The Lemegeton was the key to summon or use the power of the 72 demons of Solomon. 

It didn't matter which anime or Manga. Those 72 demons were OP motherfucker. Though the risk of losing my soul was rather high. 

But… 

I couldn't help myself, my gaze stayed on the last choice. Necronomicon. if I had to risk my soul and my sanity, wouldn't it be better to do so by betting on the highest stakes? 

The Necronomicon was perhaps the most dangerous book either. It recorded all the most madness inducing gods. The lovecraftian gods and if it was related to the story I thought, I could potentially become one of the strongest beings in the world in a few years. 

I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, my mouth was suddenly a little dry.

Why did I have to choose? I could simply turn back and leave. Nothing was forcing me. 

But when would I have such an opportunity? 

"I chose the Necronomicon."

[Do you confirm?] 

"...Yes."

The list flashed before vanishing from my eyes. 

Then, a flash of light, nearly blinded me, as a book appeared in front of me. 

Once I was able to see correctly again, I looked in daze at the black grimoire floating in front of me. 

The Necronomicon. 

At first glance, it had nothing extraordinary. Just a black book in which red bloody words were written in a hexagonal circle. 

Still, I could feel how ominous it was. 

*Gulp*

I swallowed a little before gingerly touched the book. 

Then… Everything went dark. 

117