Bedside Care
5.5k 10 92
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ugh, the sunlight is hitting my face. I just want to sleep for a little bit longer, so I turn my head and put the pillow over my face to try and block it. That’s funny, this pillow smells so nice. I don’t remember my pillow smelling so... Fragrant.

Wait a second, I remember it now. Saffron took me to her bed. This is her pillow! But, where is she then? I thought she’d want to take advantage of this by cuddling up with me like before. She’s not though, seeing as I’m woke up here by myself.

I was about to get up and look for her, but I can’t bring myself to move. What’s wrong with me, didn’t I get a full night’s sleep? Why do I still feel so tired?

I hear the door opened gently. It’s obviously the girl I was going to look for.

“Ah, you’re awake.” She whispers quietly, before leaving again. Odd, since I thought she’d be all over me by now. However, without her here, It’s getting uncomfortably silent. I never thought I’d want her to come back so badly in my life.

“Saffron?” I call for her nervously. Where did she go? Actually, what is she planning? I’m starting to have some concerns over what she might do when she gets back.

“I’ll be right there! Just wait a moment.” She yells back at me, well at least I think she’s yelling back at me. She sounds far away, but her voice still has that soft, gentle tone. I just lay my head back down to relax while I wait for her. I guess I can see a little bit of what she was getting at when she brought me to her bed. That spell really took a lot out of me.

It feels like I’m about to drift off to sleep again, but then I hear the door opening once more. That’s not the only sound I hear, it sounds like the squeaks of wheels comes in with her. It’s Saffron pushing in a cart topped with an abundance of food she made.

“I hope you’re hungry.” She says that as if I had the chance to eat dinner last night. Of course I’d be starving, and it seems that this world has the same belief of getting to a man’s heart. This girl really isn’t very fair to me. “I made all this for you.”

“For me? But what about you?” Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much grateful over this. It’s just that she really shouldn’t be ignoring herself for my sake. I can take care of myself, even if barely at the moment.

“Right now, we should focus on you.” She brushed me off, taking a spoonful of some soup she made me. “Say ahh.” I accepted it, but I really didn’t want her to suffer for my sake. So I came up with an idea.

“Could I have that sandwich?” I point at one of the many things on the platter she brought me. She does so without question. Once it’s in my hands, I break it into two pieces.

“Here.” I hold up one pieces to her. She’s a bit surprised that I’m doing that, but I really don’t want her going hungry for me. “I can’t eat all this, so you should take some.”

“I-I, um, I’m not really hungry.” She nervously laughs about it, but her body betrays her. The sound of her stomachs growling fills the room. In embarrassment, she covers over her belly. “That wasn’t me…” Her blushing face is just too cute for me. What did I do to deserve this girl?

“Come on.” I wave it around her face. “There’s nothing wrong with sharing a meal.” It looks like I’ve been able to convince her on this point, as she takes it from my hand. Together, we both take a bite from it. I don’t know why, but something about this sandwich is more special than I was expecting.

“Yummy.” She smiled in jubilation from her own cooking. For some reason, I’m starting to appreciate her being here. I hope it’s not a case of Stockholm syndrome, seeing as she basically plucked me from my own home. You could say that smile just melts my heart.

“Hey.” I grab her attention, because there’s something on her face. She looks at me, then I cause her a little jolt of excitement by wiping the little bit of food on her cheek. Maybe I might be doing a bit too good of a job of getting her to like me. I was only just keeping her clean, but of course she’d get a bit bashful from my actions.

“Thank you…” She says to me, which even gets me a little shy myself. There’s just too many marks on her that gets my attention. She’s pretty, even if her small size makes me feel like it’s… wrong. Plus, she cares for me… But, I guess she only does it because of who she thinks I am.

Yeah… That’s even why I’m here in the first place. Why she summoned me to this fantasy world. It makes me feel… Why do I feel that way? I’ve complained so much about being here, so why should I care about it?

It’s not like I should think much of what she’s done for me. It’s home care, motivated by some false hope. Am I really just falling… I mean, interested in her as a friend?

“Alan?” She calls my name, bring me back to reality. “I’ve got some biscuits for you.” Those biscuits are probably just as tasty as everything else she’s given me. But, it’s just a lie, they're not meant for me.

“No.” I turn over in her bed, facing away from her.

“Are you not hungry anymore?” She asks, a hint of concern in her voice.

“Send me back.” It’s over, there’s no reason for me to stay here. No adventure, no heroism, not even a girl that truly loves me.

“What? But what about-”

“I don’t care even if I am his reincarnation.” Let’s be real, what should I even do if that was the case? I have none of his memories, none of the supposed skills he apparently had. In what world, would we be considered the same person? As far as I’m aware, I’m not her old master, and I never will be.

“Why are you so desperate to go back?” She asks me.

“Because…” I start to try and explain, but I can’t. I wanted adventure, I wanted to do something to cool to have a reason to stay here. But what I got, well I didn’t want to be some girl’s plaything. Then she tells me that I’m someone’s reincarnation… The truth is, I’m selfish.

That’s all there ever was to me, wasn’t it? I just wanted to be important somewhere. That’s why I wanted to return. At least back home there were a few people that cared about me, even if only barely.

Now I got this girl sitting besides me, who seems to be head over heels. As a guy, I thought I’d be happy, but I feel so wrong about it. Maybe it’s because she sees another guy in my face… Or maybe it’s because I’m really just a nobody who lucked out on being similar to someone else.

“…Because I don’t deserve to stay here.” I can’t even look at her when I say that. For a second, things are silent between us. Maybe she might actually do it for me, but then I feel her soft hand on my arm.

I turn my head to look at her. She’s crying, tears are running down her cheeks. It makes sense, I’m asking to leave her, but she needs to understand one important thing.

“I’m not him.” I tell her. “I can never be him, I’m sorry.” That should be the end of things. The end to my time here on… Whatever this world calls itself.

“It’s okay.” It looks like she’s taking it a lot better than I thought. “I know you’re not him.” Yeah, I’m not… But why isn’t she trying to convince me otherwise? That’s all she’s been doing since I’ve been here, so why the change in attitude? “I know that you’re not his reincarnation.”

And the way she says that, it’s like she knows that for a fact.

92