The Fishing Tournament
4.3k 7 55
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After we got back, a lot of people were pretty happy that we are officially a couple. I'm a little surprised by it, since I haven't been living here all that long. At this point, I believe that it's only been a month since I got summoned here.

Things have gotten settled between the two of us, but today was going to be a little bit different. Today, there was an event going on at a lake not too from the outskirts of town. That would be the annual fishing tournament, held during the start of Summer.

It seems like this is the time when the fish are biting the most, and it also looks like an event that everyone wants to take part in. Most people I've seen around town are here, from young to old, and some that I'm certain should be keeping an eye on their responsibilities, instead of being here.

Funnily enough, I was the one that asked if we could participate in this event. I absolutely love fishing, there's few things better than that. It was a shame that back on Earth, I could only do it occasionally, since I didn't live near any big bodies of water. Saffron was really surprised when I asked, do I really look like the type to detest fishing?

“We got everything?” I ask her, while carrying all of the rods and bait we'll need for the trip. It looks like we do, as I eye her holding all box of snacks and other supplies we'll need while out on the water. All that's left now, is to secure a boat for ourselves.

“I see you two are out up and early.” It looks like Charles and his wife, Agatha, beat us to here. We greet each other, while they're getting their boat set up. I guess even being in your advanced age doesn't deter people from attending this tournament.

“Yes, we're here for the tournament.” Saffron smiles at them, mainly in relief at not having to hold that heavy box of food anymore.

“You've never done it before.” Agatha brushes down the younger(?) girl's dress. I told her not to wear something like that when we were going out, but I guess people in this world don't believe in having more than one outfit. Even I've been stuck in these clothes since the day I got here. “Are you sure you'll be all right?”

“You're asking that of the person who took out the demon lord?” I ask in a sarcastic manner. “Fishing's easy, even someone like me can be great at it.”

“Clearly that's because you haven't heard of the legend.” That statement by Charles catches my attention. It sounds like something I can really get hooked on. They inform me of a fish that's only been seen a few times at best. Its scales shimmer a gold glimmer in the light, and it's the size of a house.

As exciting as that story is, it doesn't really seem real to me. We're in a lake, there's no way a fish of that size could possibly have been living here for years. Not to mention that people have seen it, like what, three or four times? How could that be possible, if it was that big then I'm certain more people would've seen it by now.

“Well, we'll make sure to stay safe.” I tell them, as I finish loading up the boat. “You stay safe too, don't forget how old you are.” With that, the only thing left to do, is push this thing into the water. With Saffron already sitting inside, I nudge the craft onto the water, once it's in deep enough, I hop in as well.

I'm really looking forward to this little excursion. Not only because I get to indulge in a pastime for myself, but also because I get some alone time with her. Don't get me wrong, it's not like we don't have the house to ourselves, but it is a big mansion after all. Taking care of it, inside and out, isn't easy on the body. Not only that, but I've been practicing my magic a lot more these days. My shield's looking a lot more proper, I'd say.

“So how do you do this anyway?” She asks me once we get far out enough into the lake to start fishing. I figured for a girl that's camped numerous times on her journey, that she'd be able know how to fish. However, I guess when you're as gifted as her with the magics, that she could just flow water up and out to grab fish as they're swimming.

So I have to show her how to do it, with an example of my own. First, just have to make sure the rod is ready with the hook and everything. Back home, I even had a real fancy tackle. However, the rods here are more closer to just sticks with string attached. Oh well, nothing a skilled fisherman like myself can't handle.

Once everything is in order, I show her how to put the bait onto the hook. They seem to have some specialty bait sold in stores, but I wanted to keep it simple with worms found in the garden. It looked like that was going to be our edge, seeing as no one else was using my type of bait.

“I bet the store's really happy that they made killing on bait.” I commented, as I get ready to throw out the cast.

“So now that we're ready, just throw it, right?” She's getting a bit too ahead of things. Especially after she makes her own attempt, which ends up splashing straight down right next to our boat. That was a pretty sad display.

“There's a certain, finesse involved.” I inform her, then show off my throw. I use the right power, angle, and timing to get the perfect cast. Well, at least there's something I have up on her.

“Now what?” Once we get both our lines out, she's eyeing the bob like it's about to attack us.

“We wait.” I lean back into my seat, much to her disappointment.

“Aww, how long's that gonna to take?”

“Don't know, could be a couple minutes, could be an hour.” Fishing is a craft of patience. One that's ill suited for many people, which includes the girl sitting across from me.

“If I could use my magic, we'd be done by now.” She crosses both her arms and legs in frustration. Maybe we should find something to talk about, or else this won't be that fun of an endeavor.

“So, did Alan like to fish?” I ask about her old master. There's still so much I don't know about him, or her past in general. I have a hard time believing that she was on her own for the last two decades. Surely there were some people that made their acquaintance with her.

“He said he hated it. I can see why...” She mutters the last part. Huh, I guess that's another thing we don't have in common. Actually, other than the things we were similar in I learned early on. The two of us really weren't the same. The biggest of which is the way we talk. From the way she described it, he spoke a lot more... Coldly, and distant as well.

Perhaps that explained the difference in our magic. That guy seemed to have it a lot more rough than I ever did. Maybe that manifested in the magic that seemed to be unique only to us. Man, I just can't wrap my head around how the interactions between our worlds work. It seems to create some interesting situations.

“I got a bite!” She yelled out in excitement. I was pretty sure that she was wrong on that statement. That movement was most likely the result of the waves. However, that didn't stop her from grabbing her rod and pulling with all her might.

As expected, there was nothing on the other line. With the lack of resistance of any fish, she tripped over her feet from the pull. Unable to grab her in time, I could only watch as she fell over off the boat, causing a big splash as she landed.

“Well, if you wanted to scare away the fish, you did a nice job of that.” I say to her in a condescending tone, as I pull her back into the boat.

Saffron's completely soaking wet, and well... The nature of white clothes getting wet is showing off pretty well. Her dress is clinging tightly to her skin, and it's showing a lot off. Her purple bra is one that contrasts and stands out in the white.

Even the skirt part of the dress has attached itself closed to her crotch, which not only shows she pure white panties. But there's even a little bit of a cameltoe to go along with it. It's a good thing we're on this boat, where no one can see her being so indecent.

“Here.” It's a good thing I packed a towel, along with some extra clothes, in case something like this happened.

Since her ruckus most likely scared off the fish around here, it looks like it's time for me to get rowing again.

55