Arc II – Chapter 37: Starting construction
1.1k 2 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Confused because of Illianna’s statement, Sian said. “I don’t remember that part.”

“I said I could build within a month as long as you gave me the necessary support, and you said we would start today.” She gave him a huge list.

"What's that?"

"It's the budget." Illianna replied. "Along with some of the materials we need to get started."

At the time he saw the contents of the list, Sian almost froze as his hand trembled slightly. "That-That's a lot of stuff, especially the absurd amount of magic stones, copper, bronze and silver."

"This is the price without considering the workforce you would need to hire if you did not have me." She said calmly, as if she had nothing to do with the matter. "Besides, you don't have the slightest possibility of finishing this in a month without me."

Wanting to be sure, he asked. "Do you really need all this?"

"Not really." She shrugged. "But if you want to have the best inn in the world as I said before, then you will have to spend some coins."

“Some coins?! You call it 'some coins'?” Sian pointed out exasperatedly to the list. "It's about 90,000 gold coins! 90 thousand!! This is absurd!"

"So you want to give up now because you do not have money?" Making a small ribbon appearing over her own hand, she began to tie her hair.

"It's not that I do not have the money, it's just that this is too much!"

Looking not to care about Sian's agitation, Illianna continued quietly tying the tie that held her golden hair in the shape of a ponytail. "It's not too much if you consider that the inn's facilities will occupy a third of the land you bought."

Doubting what he had heard, Sian asked. "Was it to be so big?"

"What are you saying now?" Illianna looked incredulous. "Did not you see the blueprint yesterday?"

"Well, I saw it... But I did not think it would be as big as a third of the land..."

"Do not forget that it’s not only one floor, it is 10 floors. 2 below the ground and 8 above occupying a third of the land." Illianna added.

"I don't think it's worth making such an absurdly large inn in such a small town, that's throwing money away."

"Given the size, instead of an inn, calling it a hotel would be more accurate." As if correcting him, she continued. "And that's not throwing money away, it's called investment. If we consider the potential of this town, it won't be long before you get that amount back. There are many-"

“Wait.” Sian interrupted her. "Did you forget that we're in a war zone?"

Raising the corners of her lips, she pointed at him. "With you here, I find it difficult for anyone to try to start a war, so I'm sure this town will begin to thrive in no time."

"That's just an assumption with no basis." With a look full of suspicion, he continued. "Instead of investing, I think you're trying to make a hole in my pockets to get revenge for what happened before."

With a sneaky smile, she said. "It's just your imagination."

After a long conversation, with no remaining choices, Sian reluctantly accepted Illianna's demand.

Following her instructions, he used the earth magic and raised a rectangular wall that surrounded the entire terrain, leaving only 4 entrances, one on each side. Unlike as he initially wanted, Illianna chose to make the hotel further away from the river. According to her, it would take up a lot of space and for the water supply, they could simply dig a well.

As Sian was following the projections made by Illianna's Design sub-skill, which she says can show what she sees to others, it all happened quickly and simply.

Soon after, while Illianna fortified the wall using her skills, Sian started the excavation of the underground floors. Proceeding as instructed, the entire land removed was heaped around to be used in the future in the construction of the walls.

After he finished digging, it was already close to breakfast, Sian left Illianna working and went to meet Ophilia and Emily. He intended to bring them in to make an outdoor breakfast.

As they were returning to the building, Sian spotted Tina peeking into one of the entrances while holding a basket in each arm. After filling one basket with food, he invited her to come in and have breakfast with them. As they passed through the gate, a surprised voice came from Ophilia.

"This is much bigger than I expected!"

As he had a similar reaction a short time ago, Sian responded awkwardly. "Well, I didn't expect it either."

Looking around, she asked. "How did you make the wall so fast? Was it magic?"

"Exactly." He replied.

"Was that beautiful part also made with magic?" Tina pointed to a part of the wall where Illianna was.

The parts of the wall she improved were very dissonant from the rest, the old rough brown wall was now white and smooth with columns in blue color.

“Uh-huh.” Sian replied. "I raised the walls and Illianna is doing the finishing."

"This is amazing." Tina said with bright eyes and soon turned to Sian with a determined look. "Can you teach me how to use magic?"

"Why do you want to learn magic?"

"I heard that all mages are rich people, so I wanted to learn how to use magic to get as rich as they are and be able to help my mother."

Stroking her head, Sian said. "Even if you have an admirable reason, they are not rich because they are mages, they are mages because they are rich."

Sian's words seemed to have been like a bucket of cold water poured over Tina.

Sympathizing with her, he said. "I can't guarantee you'll learn, but you can attend the theoretical classes I'm going to do for Emily."

Having her name mentioned, Emily, who was sitting on Sian's shoulders entertained playing with the red-haired doll, said suddenly. "Before magic class, can Daddy explain about the magic warriors?"

"Why does my little princess want to know about the magic warriors?"

"Because Aunt Anna said that a kingdom has already made an excursion with many strong warriors to hunt Daddy, but they were all defeated and also, the teacher said she was going to teach it today."

Sian turned and directed his gaze at Illianna who was approaching them.

"Don't look at me like that, I didn't say anything too much." She shrugged. "Since she seemed interested in stories about you, I just told her a few interesting things."

"Did something like this really happen?" With a dubious look, Ophilia asked Sian.

Before he could give an answer, Illianna replied. "Yes, but it wasn't exactly an excursion, I just romanticized it a bit. This happened when Zupia's kingdom had placed a reward of 5,000 gold coins on his head. Although it was 6 years ago, he was already well known, several warriors formed a group with the intention of defeating him and then sharing the reward, but in the end, all were defeated."

"Fi-fi-five thousand gold coins?!" Ophilia's eyes almost jumped out of her eye sockets as she quickly turned to Sian. "What exactly did you do for a kingdom to put such a big reward?"

"No big deal, it was just a little discussion." He said in a shrug.

"I wouldn't say it was just a little discussion, you laughed at the prince when he fell off the horse." Illianna said. "This is a serious offense to royalty, which has led to capital punishment."

"It was funny, it was impossible not to laugh and besides, he didn't have to threaten me just because of it."

"If it was just that, given your fame at the time, they could give you the face and things would still end well, but you broke the prince's arm and still ripped out his tongue." As if she were disapproving him, she continued. "As a way to get worse even more the situation, you made the king unable to have children."

"It was not my fault, he threatened me first."

"Arguing like this, you look like a child."

"Whatever, let's just make breakfast."

"What are we going to eat? Cookies?" Emily asked excitedly as she lowered her head, trying to look at Sian's face.

Lowering she from his shoulders, he replied. "Let's eat French toast."

"It’s tasty?"

"Yep, it’s delicious." Sian answered and swinging his hands, he made a table and 5 clay benches emerge from the ground.

Ignoring the surprised looks from Emily, Ophilia and Tina, he placed a cloth on the round clay table, covering it. Soon, several ingredients and pans were also put on the table.

"All right, let's start class while I prepare our meal, you can sit down."

While Sian prepared a mixture of eggs, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, salt and cinnamon, everyone had already sat down.

"As my little princess asked, our class now will be about the titles of warriors and conditions to obtain them. But I'll be brief and fast because I don't think they're of any importance." With a brief pause, he dipped several slices of bread into the mixture he had just prepared and continued. "According to the nobles-"

"That includes you." Illianna added.

Clearing his throat, Sian spoke again. "According to the other nobles, they gave these titles to noble warriors who fight for the good of the people, which is obviously a lie."

"Even if it is a dishonest lie, it still wins the hearts of the masses, making most believe that they are all honorable and powerful warriors." Illianna complemented.

Removing the slices of bread from the mixture, Sian threw them in the frying pan, which was hot even without being on fire.

"How exactly are they a lie?" Confused, Ophilia asked.

"Simple, these titles serve only for the nobles to favor other noble and people close to them while those who have no relation to them have seen disposable subordinates." Sian said. "Simply put, the cannon bush sacrifices themselves while the rest gain fame."

"I'm pretty sure that's the case with the mayor of Solaris." Illianna said. "They praised him, gave him titles, and then sent him to a dangerous place where there was constant war. All this just for him to sacrifice in the name of the people while the rest gains fame. But with Sian here, he will no longer be necessary, and I can already guess they will send him to another dangerous place soon. I can bet that the next mayor will change for some high rank nobleman, and they will say it will be to improve the town."

"The nobles are really a bunch of rotten people." Sian said as he shook his head in disapproval.

"But not all nobles are bad, Lady Charlotte did a lot for the people." Ophilia said.

"Well, for every rule there is an exception, even in a bunch of rotten bananas there may be a good one."

As he turned over the slices of bread that had turned golden, Sian realized that Emily was silent. Then by directing his gaze at her, he realized why. She was looking at the food intensely and even though in disguise, Tina was doing the same.

Perhaps because she sensed Sian's gaze, Tina spoke hurriedly. "Speaking ill of the nobles is not a crime?"

"Well, it's not if they do not find out." He replied.

Soon, the toast were ready and Sian passed some honey on them. With breakfast ready, they made a brief pause in class.

39