4-16 House of Aeryo
3.3k 10 106
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Big thanks and shoutout to my new patrons; Savros | Colin Ryan | (I A C) Kent Jasper

The mansion eventually came into view as they traversed through the abundance of trees and came to a glade. At the centre of the glade was a mansion, smaller than a lesser noble’s mansion but big enough to house Erin and her companions. Unlike the other homes, this mansion was surprisingly unabandoned. They could see servants walking about the estate, tending to whatever needed to be tended. Vines still found their way around the mansion but they were left as it were for aesthetic purposes, presumably by the caretakers.

“That’s the mansion?” Lyra pointed.

“It is, Miss Lyra,” Sir Clause answered.

“There are people there. Humans.”

“It would appear so. To my sparse knowledge of the estate, it’s just the servants. The lord of the mansion had not returned for years. The custodian, the head butler, has been the one in charge of the maintenance of the estate since.”

“Let us hope the custodian will be understanding.”

Erin held back a sigh at Lyra’s words. Now that Lyra had said it, Erin knew the contrary was bound to happen.

When they had completely gone through the small forest, they passed into a road paved with smoothened stones and lanterns on maple wooden poles aligned on the sides. The road led directly to the gates of the mansion. Erin felt a huge thump in her soul as the wheels trod onto the paved road.

“What in the name—” Erin flinched forward, clutching her heart at first. But gradually, everything loosened. She was doused with respite and alleviation. She could breathe so much easier than normal as if the air was untainted by whatever filth was spilt out of the city.

“Mistress, are you alright?” Siv asked.

“I’m fine,” Erin said. “It’s just… the concentration of the Spirits here is… unbelievably high.”

“It is… my dear Erin,” Lilian agreed, nodding. She reached out her hand, feeling the density of the Spirits that were fluttering about. “This place will do nicely against intruders and Demons.”

Even Sir Clause couldn’t be completely unfazed when he heard the mention of Demons but he still kept his nose out. It was not his place to question their circumstances, not if he wished to keep his job.

“This is… This is a Grove,” Lilian scoffed in disbelief. “He had another Grove made. That arse of a lizard. He truly does have a flair for the dramatics.”

“What’s a Grove?” Lyra asked before Erin could.

“To be succinct, a Grove is a place smothered in Spirits, making it a safe haven for the Fae,” Lilian explained. “It is usually naturally formed but in this case, this is artificial but no less effective than a natural one.”

“Aedan?”

Lilian tittered. “Aedan,” she affirmed.

“That son of a bitch,” Erin muttered inwardly with a smile. “Alright, Aedan. Colour me impressed and surprised, you arse.”

As they approached the gate, a boy ran up to the wagon from the gates, where he had been presumably standing guard at. The boy could not have been older than fifteen and he was standing in the wagon’s path in commoner’s attire with a sword by his waist.

Erin pulled on the reins, halting the wagon. Sir Clause also came to a stop and he hopped off his raptor mount. Erin followed suit but gestured for the rest to stay on the wagon.

“Allow me to handle this, m’lady,” Sir Clause said and stepped forward to the boy.

“Turn around right this instance,” the boy said with a firm and robust voice in spite of his youthful appearance. His left hand was gripping the scabbard and his right hand was gripping the hilt. “Whatever business you have with the estate, you will find none as his lordship is absent. And in his absence, no outsider is allowed entry into the estate.”

“Boy, you will address me with respect and honour. I am Sir Clause of House Ritus, vassal to the High Lady of Valdrun.”

“With all due respect sir, unless you have a writ from His Majesty The King, you are not allowed to set foot into the estate, even if it’s a decree from the viceroy himself, High Lord Rylan Grid.”

“This is preposterous, boy. What proof do you have for your claims and why would the King pay any heed to some mere estate?”

“I’m not privy to the details, sir, but I can tell you the King’s providence was solicited by the Arch Priestess of Aeryo.”

“The Aeryons?” blurted Sir Clause.

“Ah, I see,” Lilian said as she descended from the wagon and joined Erin by her side. “This estate is considered a sacred ground of the Aeryons.”

“The Aeryons?” Erin questioned.

“The Dragon God faith, my dear.”

“This is a temple?”

“It is not a temple, Lady Fae,” answered the boy. “This is a sanctuary for the believers of Aeryo.”

“Aeryo is dead, boy,” Sir Clause said. “And Lady Erynthea here as a title deed for the estate. As it stood, she is the rightful owner of the estate.”

“I refuse to believe his Lordship would sell off the sanctuary. The title deed you claim the Fae to be in possession of has to be a forgery.”

“It is not, boy. I have seen and confirmed it myself.”

The boy clicked his tongue. “Show me.”

Erin finally sighed. “Couldn’t you have led with that?” she grumbled and took out the medallion for the boy to see.

The boy’s brows were raised as he glanced at the medallion in Erin’s hand. When he glanced at Erin, his gaze narrowed. “Where did you get this?”

“It was given to me by Aedan.”

“His Lordship?” the boy gasped. “Impossible. He would not do that. Who are you to his Lordship?”

“His lover,” Erin’s response came without any hesitation.

“We are well aware of his Lordship’s proclivities but having someone he would call a lover certainly isn’t one of them.”

“And how would you know, little lizard?”

“Little lizard, me?” the boy scoffed. “How dare you call me a lizard! I’ll have you know that I am a—” the boy paused, his eyes widening. When he spoke again, his voice was soft and hollow. “You knew?”

Erin nodded.

“Impossible.” Then the boy struck a realisation. “You have Appraisal.”

Erin shrugged. “Am I the only one who has Appraisal?”

Sir Clause was bouncing his gaze between Erin and the boy. “Forgive me if I had misunderstood, m’lady, but are you saying this boy is a—”

“—Dragon, yes. He is indeed a Dragon.”

“Is he truly one?” Lilian mused. “The aura he’s exuding is that of a human’s.”

“Aedan and Olivia hid their identities well. The Dragons are good at disguising and concealing themselves. I’m sure you did not know Aedan was a Dragon until he told you himself, is that not the case?”

“I suppose you do have a point, Erin.”

The boy’s face was drained of colours as he looked in terror. “Now that you know what we are…”

“Calm down, boy. As I have said, I’m—”

“I can’t let you or your companions leave.”

Erin blinked. “Are you serious?”

“I don’t know who you really are but since you have found out about us, you are not leaving this place.” The boy drew his queer sword. It had a single-edged blade with a circular handguard. The boy was already charging before the blade had fully left the scabbard. “Forgive me for this, your Lordship,” he muttered under his breath.

“Stay behind me, m’lady!” Clause shouted and positioned himself in front of Erin.

“That won’t be necessary.” Lilian gently pulled Clause back by his shoulder but it only looked gentle. “Erin is more than capable of defending us and herself and I believe your job here is done, Sir Clause. She’ll be fine and our opponent isn’t that capable.”

“Don’t be absurd, Lady Lilian. If I didn’t at least see you all to safety, Her Excellency will—”

Clause’s words were interrupted by the sound of the clash of metals. Erin had charged ahead and met the boy’s blade with her own and she was the winner of that clash. The boy went tumbling and sprawling across the ground from Erin’s blow.

“See, Sir Clause? Nothing to worry about. Now, please, for your sake and ours, make yourself scarce before you see or hear something you shouldn’t have.”

Swallowing a lump in his throat, Clause nodded. “Very well, m’lady, As you wish. I’ll be taking my leave.”

“As you should, good sir. Give my love to Her Excellency, and Erin’s love too. I’m sure she will be thrilled.”

Clause nodded again and bowed slightly before speeding out of the glade on his raptor mount.

“He’s gone now, Erin dear. You don’t need to hold back now.”

“Thank you for that, Lilian,” Erin said and conjured another sword in her other hand as she glared at the boy. “I have had enough of presumptuous people like you,” she chewed her words as strode toward her opponent. “Why can’t you just listen?”

“Don’t belittle me, Lady Fae. Being presumptuous is the reason I have survived so far in this harsh world.”

“At the expense of others.”

“Better than at the expense of my kin.” The boy clad himself in his aura like a layer of armour.

“Just how many people have you silenced?”

The boy twitched at that question but he did not offer any answer. Instead, he lunged with his sword raised.

Erin easily parried the boy’s strike and dodged a blow. “If that medallion does not suffice as proof, what other kind of proof will suffice?”

The boy spun around and unleashed a flurry of strikes and slashes upon Erin. “The word of mouth from his Lordship himself.” His attacks were all deflected or evaded again but he didn’t relent.

“Then, I demand to speak with the estate’s custodian.” Erin dodged under a slash and flipped to the side and thrust. “If it’s anyone’s judgement, it would be his.”

The boy let the thrust graze his cheek and threw himself at her with a swipe. “And you will sneak off somewhere when my attention is turned away?” He tutted. “I’m not that naive, Lady Fae.”

Erin veered that swipe and riposted. “You’re not naive, just foolish.”

Her blade nearly grazed his cheeks again but he dodged low and went for her legs.

Erin spun and slammed her tails into the boy.

He went spinning in the air but landed on his feet. He shook the damage off and lunged once more with a strike.

Erin charged at his strike. Instead of her blade, she met his strike with her foot, raising it over the blade before putting her foot down in a literal manner. With his blade trapped under her foot, she pressed her sword onto the boy’s neck. “Enough of this farce, boy. I will speak to the custodian. Summon him or I will use the power of the Spirits.”

“This may be a Grove but it doesn’t cater to you, Lady Fae. And you think this is enough to threaten me?” A pair of wings shot out from the boy’s back.

Erin’s Sixth Sense began blaring at the appearance of those wings. She leapt back just as the boy lurched forwards with his hands, now claws, bared at her. She cast Storm Shell in front of her and the boy was blown backwards by the repelling effects of Storm Shell. His wings flapped and he regained his bearings before he tumbled too far away.

Erin could hear the unrest of those in the wagon but whispered for them to be at ease, by way of Nivia’s enhanced sense of hearing of an Elf.

“Has it not crossed your mind for even a single moment that I might have been nothing but truthful?” Erin asked.

“Do you know how the city would react if they knew Dragons were living amongst them?”

“The city would not know. I’m not a thief. Even if I am, do you honestly think I would be able to snatch it from Aedan without his consent or knowledge?”

“His Lordship may be mighty but not even gods are perfect, let alone only the heir and avatar.”

“Avatar?” Erin mumbled inwardly. “Another strange new word.”

“I am sorry, Lady Fae, but I can’t risk—” the boy wasn’t able to finish his sentence as some invisible force pulled him backwards and dragged him across the ground, ploughing him through the pavement.

“That’s enough, Caelan,” bellowed a voice. It belonged to an old man with a thick grey beard, who was walking past Caelan and towards Erin in stride. He wore a set of robes that was draped loosely around him and the excessive length was dragged across the ground. “Greetings, m’lady,” the old man said with a bow and a hand to his chest.

Sensing not hostility but instead, amicability from the old man, Erin dispelled her swords. “And you are?”

“Cassius, m’lady. I am the custodian of the estate. I have been expecting your arrival, Lady Consort of his Lordship.”

Erin frowned. “Consort?”

Lilian burst out laughing.

“What did he just say!?” screamed Lyra from all the way on the wagon.

106